PDA

View Full Version : Blazer demanding a trade

2Cleva
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Sergio Rodriguez's agent Jose Ortiz has told the Spanish Marca.com that he would like to see his client traded out of Portland.

Ortiz said that Rodriguez has never received the quantity of minutes he believes he deserves. Last season he played behind Jarrett Jack and Steve Blake and this season he is behind Blake and rookie Jerryd Bayless.

Its happening earlier than I thought but I expect more of this out of Portland.

So many young guys want their numbers its a recipe for it - see Chicago.

IronMexican
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Hawks better jump on this. Acie Law is not the answer.

tlongII
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Its happening earlier than I thought but I expect more of this out of Portland.

So many young guys want their numbers its a recipe for it - see Chicago.

Link please.

lil_penny
11-07-2008, 11:38 AM
there will be a blockbuster trade within three months involving the blazers and a nice little package of young talent for a vet..... a little birdie told me this

bdictjames
11-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Spanish connection my ass

2Cleva
11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Links

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55294/20081107/rodriguez_wants_out_of_portland/#

Original Link - needs translated

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/nba/es/desarrollo/1182233.html

2Cleva
11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
there will be a blockbuster trade within three months involving the blazers and a nice little package of young talent for a vet..... a little birdie told me this

That's the only logical move.

Getting Kidd wouldn't be a bad idea.

baseline bum
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
That's the only logical move.

Getting Kidd wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, it'd be a horrible one. Ask Dallas.

tlongII
11-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure that story is accurate. It says he is playing behind Steve Blake and Jerryd Bayless which isn't true. He's the backup PG behind Blake and Bayless is 3rd string.

turiaf for president
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
8.8 minutes a game for sergio while bayless is getting 10.5. looks like hes behind the rotation to me.

JamStone
11-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Jason Terry makes more sense than Jason Kidd.

Terry and Stackhouse for Sergio, LaFrentz, and Martell Webster (with the emergence of Rudy and Batum, his extension makes little sense)

lil_penny
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
yea kidd is a no go he said last year he wouldnt come to portland.. besides hes cancer.. jason terry would be a nice pick up though.. just have to wait and see what happens with this i guess

monosylab1k
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Jason Terry makes more sense than Jason Kidd.

Terry and Stackhouse for Sergio, LaFrentz, and Martell Webster (with the emergence of Rudy and Batum, his extension makes little sense)

I'd do that in a friggin heartbeat.

Also, Josh Howard & Brandon Bass for Sergio, Channing Frye, and Outlaw works.

lil_penny
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
shane battier is another one on the teams watch list.. maybe work something out for him

IronMexican
11-07-2008, 12:06 PM
If the Mavs can land Outlaw.... damn...

2Cleva
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Portland needs a veteran hand to guide the ship. Someone who at least has been to the Finals. Actually, Chauncey Billups would have been perfect.

tlongII
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I would see if we can just move Sergio for a draft pick. We don't really need anything back.

xtremesteven33
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Portland needs a veteran hand to guide the ship. Someone who at least has been to the Finals. Actually, Chauncey Billups would have been perfect.

Yea but Chauncey has shown signs of slowing down. Maybe Chauncey of like 4 years ago

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Agreed.

The Blazers are talented, I think they can beat ANY team in the NBA on any night. They're fun to watch but they won't be serious until they get some veterans or if they wait and develop themselves.

They should bundle up some of their young guys for:

1) Tim Duncan
2) Tony Parker
3) D Wade
4) Amare
5) Dirk

I think those teams would listen to a trade from Portland.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Agreed.

The Blazers are talented, I think they can beat ANY team in the NBA on any night. They're fun to watch but they won't be serious until they get some veterans or if they wait and develop themselves.

1) Tim Duncan
2) Tony Parker
3) D Wade
4) Amare
5) Dirk

:lmao

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
:lmao

It's funny and crazy.

BUT, it would help both teams. Spurs need talented youth desperately. Blazers need veterans desperately.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
It's funny and crazy.

BUT, it would help both teams. Spurs need talented youth desperately. Blazers need veterans desperately.

Moving Tim gets you no where in the next two years, not for the players they would give up. The Spurs only need complimentary pieces, not new core players right now. And, the Blazers will not give any of those up.

monosylab1k
11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Agreed.

1) Tim Duncan
2) Tony Parker
3) D Wade
4) Amare
5) Dirk

Gimme Oden, Sergio, and Rudy and they can have Dirk.

JMarkJohns
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Agreed.

1) Tim Duncan
2) Tony Parker
3) D Wade
4) Amare
5) Dirk

They don't need anyone that prominent. Amare, Wade or Dirk would cost Portland Adridge or Roy, plus Bayless and Frye - at the least - if not Aldridge and Roy.

They simply need to package their expiring contracts with talent like Rodriguez, Webster and/or Outlaw for a quality veteran or two at any of the wing positions.

Battier would be great, and might only cost LaFrentz, Rodriguez and a 2nd-round pick. That would leave Diogu and Webster and/or Outlaw for a quality vet at either PF or PG.

They need defense and outside shooting. They don't need a star.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Moving Tim gets you no where in the next two years, not for the players they would give up. The Spurs only need complimentary pieces, not new core players right now. And, the Blazers will not give any of those up.

Tim to the Blazers would make them contenders.

Sending back Aldridge & Roy would give the Spurs the new Tim Duncan & a replacement for Bowen.

Other than Tim/Tony/Manu, there isn't much to trade on the Spurs that would get nice value back.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
It's funny and crazy.

I don't know about you, but Tim def has some years left in him. Tony is at his peak, I wouldn't trade him for anyone but top talent. It's insulting to have complimentary pieces as a trade possibility with top talent, come on now. It's complimentary , for complimentary no matter what the record is right now. They need vets, we have those lol. They can have some vet players for youth, seems fair. Comp for Comp, young for old.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Gimme Oden, Sergio, and Rudy and they can have Dirk.

That's the kind of thinking that would make something like this happen.

I think the Blazers would rather give up Aldridge (not Oden) in that trade since Dirk & Aldridge play the same position.

It's win/win for both sides.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Sending back Aldridge & Roy would give the Spurs the new Tim Duncan & a replacement for Bowen.

Other than Tim/Tony/Manu, there isn't much to trade on the Spurs that would get nice value back.

No shit he would.

The new Duncan? With all due respect, what the hell are you watching? He's no where near Duncan's skill level at this age right now, or Duncan's when he came into the league. He's not even a number one option. Barely a number two. He's good though.

Allanon
I don't know about you, but Tim def has some years left in him. Tony is at his peak, I wouldn't trade him for anyone but top talent. It's insulting to have complimentary pieces as a trade possibility with top talent, come on now. It's complimentary , for complimentary no matter what the record is right now. They need vets, we have those lol. They can have some vet players for youth, seems fair. Comp for Comp, young for old.

Oh shit, another Bonner trade :lol

monosylab1k

Tony, Manu, Roy, Aldridge, & Oberto is a pretty salty starting 5. Especially if Bowen is finished, as all signs are pointing to. I think it would be a smart trade, but I can certainly understand Spurs fans not wanting to see Tim wear another jersey. He's a legend.

monosylab1k
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
That's the kind of thinking that would make something like this happen.

I think the Blazers would rather give up Aldridge (not Oden) in that trade since Dirk & Aldridge play the same position.

It's win/win for both sides.

I'd do Aldridge instead of Oden, but I'd need a draft pick thrown in.

The Blazers would have

Blake, Roy, Outlaw, Dirk, Oden

The Mavs would have

Kidd (Sergio learning from the best), Rudy, Howard, Aldridge, Diop

It would hurt the Mavs in the short-term, but definitely a win/win IMO.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
No shit he would.

The new Duncan? With all due respect, what the hell are you watching? He's no where near Duncan's skill level at this age right now, or Duncan's when he came into the league. He's not even a number one option. Barely a number two. He's good though.

He's the closest thing to Duncan in the NBA, is what I mean.

They have similar games and styles. Aldridge has a ton of skill, I think he's going to be the best PF in the NBA in a couple of years.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Again, if the Blazers wanna swap complimentary pieces, it works out great on both sides, other than that, it's a issue.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM
They don't need anyone that prominent. Amare, Wade or Dirk would cost Portland Adridge or Roy, plus Bayless and Frye - at the least - if not Aldridge and Roy.

They simply need to package their expiring contracts with talent like Rodriguez, Webster and/or Outlaw for a quality veteran or two at any of the wing positions.

Battier would be great, and might only cost LaFrentz, Rodriguez and a 2nd-round pick. That would leave Diogu and Webster and/or Outlaw for a quality vet at either PF or PG.

They need defense and outside shooting. They don't need a star.

They don't NEED it, I agree. If they wait and develop their players, they'll have a contending team in 4-5 years. Guys like Battier would make them a playoff team and very good but not a contender right away. Maybe in 4 years.

However, if they want to be at the top of the hep in the next 2 years, going for a prominent veteran would give them the immediate kick in the pants.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM

They have similar games and styles. Aldridge has a ton of skill, I think he's going to be the best PF in the NBA in a couple of years.

I understand that, but, skill level is more important when you are giving up so much. What Tim gives you just isn't out there.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
I understand that, but, skill level is more important when you are giving up so much. What Tim gives you just isn't out there.

Of course not. But what Tim and Tony are giving now is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. No disrespect to your team intended.

Indazone
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Trade Oden! He's a bust anyways

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I'd do Aldridge instead of Oden, but I'd need a draft pick thrown in.

The Blazers would have

Blake, Roy, Outlaw, Dirk, Oden

The Mavs would have

Kidd (Sergio learning from the best), Rudy, Howard, Aldridge, Diop

It would hurt the Mavs in the short-term, but definitely a win/win IMO.

Those two teams would be pretty bad-ass. And it helps both teams in the long term. I don't think the Mavs can win a championship as-is so unless they're playing for playoff berths, taking a year or two hit would be worth it.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Of course not. But what Tim and Tony are giving now is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. No disrespect to your team intended.

But you cannot undervalue them. Why would I jeopardize my team for uncertainty in regards to other players exceeding what i have? You do not trade for a downgrade, you trade for an upgrade, right?

How can uncertainty be an upgrade? It's risky at best.

With a flat out star injured, and new players being implemented, plus a better big in regards to a well rounded approach being out, why do this? ALl that is needed is a better bench, better surrounding players, that's all that should be moved.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
But you cannot undervalue them. Why would I jeopardize my team for uncertainty in regards to other players exceeding what i have? You do not trade for a downgrade, you trade for an upgrade, right?

How can uncertainty be an upgrade? It's risky at best.

With a flat out star injured, and new players being implemented, plus a better big in regards to a well rounded approach being out, why do this?

ALl that is needed is a better bench, better surrounding players, that's all that should be moved.

I can agree with all that. But you'll never get fair value for a Tim Duncan or Tony Parker. Hell, the Lakers only got Lamar Odom & Caron Butler (the inconsistent/crappy Caron) for Shaq still in his prime.

This is where my opinion probably differs vastly from yours and you might say I'm a homer or what not but I fully believe:

1) Spurs with Tim, Tony, Manu + current team cannot win a ring
2) Bowen is done and that's where it's really hurting them
3) Finley is the #2 problem on defense
4) The Spurs trademark defense is completely gone. The current Spurs look like the high-scoring Suns.

We'll skip over your guy Oberto and move to the bench. We have Mason, Hill who are good. But the rest of the bench is virtually untradeable for anything decent.

So let's say in a best case scenario, you only need to improve the bench.... the Spurs don't have anything to trade to get somebody good.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I can agree with all that. You'll never get fair value for a Tim Duncan or Tony Parker.

This is where my opinion probably differs vastly from yours and you might say I'm a homer or what not but I fully believe:

4) The Spurs trademark defense is completely gone. The current Spurs look like the high-scoring Suns.
We'll skip over your guy Oberto and move to the bench. We have Mason, Hill who are good. But the rest of the bench is virtually untradeable for anything decent.

So let's say in a best case scenario, you only need to improve the bench.... the Spurs don't have anything to trade to get somebody good.

Number one is only acceptable with a poor supporting cast.

The rest is surrounding player issues. More of the same.

I've seen Kobe Bryant traded for Vlade Divac. I've seen Pau Gasol traded for his brother and a pick or so. Marcus Camby was traded for a pick. In this league, most things are possible if it really wants to get done.

Aside from that, worst scenarios have occured with trades. In a league where money and talent often are equated, I wouldn't put some scenarios past my thoughts. Simply being part of a larger deal in regards to other teams can solve the issues that we have.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Also it should be noted that having Tim and Tony on the court is more important right now than collective defense, if they aren't there to score, who will? So if they give up some buckets, and not foul out, i'm fine with that for RIGHT NOW.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Number one is only acceptable with a poor supporting cast.

The rest is surrounding player issues. More of the same.

I've seen Kobe Bryant traded for Vlade Divac. I've seen Pau Gasol traded for his brother and a pick or so. Marcus Camby was traded for a pick. In this league, most things are possible if it really wants to get done.

Aside from that, worst scenarios have occured with trades. In a league where money and talent often are equated, I wouldn't put some scenarios past my thoughts. Simply being part of a larger deal in regards to other teams can solve the issues that we have.

Your 3 top players are awesome, no doubt, but the supporting cast is just horrible and have low salaries so it's hard to come up with players to bundle.

I agree, it can be done but it won't be easy to upgrade the Spurs roster without losing one of the Big 3.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Also it should be noted that having Tim and Tony on the court is more important right now than collective defense, if they aren't there to score, who will? So if they give up some buckets, and not foul out, i'm fine with that for RIGHT NOW.

Sometimes, you just gotta bite the bullet. Finley was expected to degrade some more but Bowen, that's the real kick in the nuts. I would have given the Spurs a fighting chance but not with how Bowen's been.

It's still early so I guess we'll wait and see, I could be totally wrong.

Spur-Addict
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Your 3 top players are awesome, no doubt, but the supporting cast is just horrible and have low salaries so it's hard to come up with players to bundle.

I agree, it can be done but it won't be easy to upgrade the Spurs roster without losing one of the Big 3.

Most things aren't easy in this league, but with our scenario as it stands, I wouldn't do anything else unless it was flat out absurd in our favor.

Zee Laker
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Agreed.

1) Tim Duncan
2) Tony Parker
3) D Wade
4) Amare
5) Dirk

Im sorry my friend but thats one dumb list. 2 former MVPs, 2 finals MVPS and one of the top big men in the league. You think POR can get one of these guys for some young bench players? are you insane

btw Oden, LMA and Roy are untouchable

lil_penny
11-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Pritchard says sergio isnt going anywhere

"We like Sergio, and we are not in any discussions,'' Pritchard said. "We want to see this team, and we want to see this team grow. It's awfully early to be even talking about this stuff.''

Friday's online edition of Marca.com published a story (http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/nba/es/desarrollo/1182233.html) that included Ortiz saying Blazers coach Nate McMillan does not afford Rodriguez the playing time or leeway he does with other young players. As a result, the agent said he wants Rodriguez to be traded.
Pritchard said this is an "old story" and that internally the issue has "passed". He said he chooses not to deal with Ortiz, instead opting to talk with Rodriguez's American agent, Herb Rudoy. Rudoy has a long history with the Blazers, dating back to when he represented Arvydas Sabonis. Pritchard said he spoke with Rudoy about Rodriguez "a couple weeks ago".
Pritchard said he is disappointed that Ortiz is making an issue.
"There's a right way and a wrong way to go about things,'' Pritchard said. "The thing is, Sergio wants to have an opportunity to play, and I'm happy he wants to play. I'd be upset if he didn't.''
After averaging 12.9 minutes a game last season as the third-string point guard, Rodriguez this season won the backup job, but has averaged only 9:18 a game in the first five contests, despite a sterling 15 assists-to-2-turnover ratio. He is averaging 15.6 assists per 48 minutes.
McMillan has played Rodriguez only in spurts, usually opting to use a three-guard unit that features Steve Blake, Brandon Roy and Rudy Fernandez. However, in last night's overtime victory against Houston, Rodriguez played 4:58 of the fourth quarter while starter Steve Blake played only 10 seconds. Rodriguez had three rebounds, two assists and no turnovers during his time, missing his only attempt, a three-pointer.

I have not been able to speak with Rodriguez this morning - the team started practice at 11, and the media will have access to the players around 12:30. It's interesting this story broke this morning, because last night during the Rockets game there was a curious scene that developed.
In the second quarter, during a shift when Rodriguez had three assists in his first three minutes, he was pulled from the game when a timeout was called with 9:03 left and replaced with Blake.
As the Blazers huddled during the timeout, Rodriguez left the team's bench and headed into the tunnel that leads to the Blazers locker room. Eventually, lead assistant Dean Demopoulos also left the huddle and went into the tunnel in search of Rodriguez. A minute or so later, Rodriguez came back out, with Demopoulos close behind.
But 24 seconds later, during an official timeout, Rodriguez was put back in the game.
I don't want to make too much of this - it could have been a problem with a shoe, it could have been nature calling, or it could have been Rodriguez losing his cool. I don't know. The game ended so late I didn't get a chance to interview Sergio after the game.
I can say this: never this season has Sergio appeared to me as disgruntled or seething. He has been as happy as I can remember him during his time in Portland. Whether or not he is totally happy? He probably isn't, but we all knew somebody on this team wasn't going to be happy this season with playing time. That's the price of having a deep and talented team.
And remember to ask yourself this: If you want Sergio to play more, that means someone has to play less. Do you really want to see less of Blake? Or Rudy? Or Roy?
For the Blazers, it's a pretty good sign when your third point guard (Blake is No. 1, I put Roy as No. 2) can get six assists in 11 minutes. It's a luxury and a testament to how deep this team is. Everybody just needs to deal with it.
As far as the Spanish agent "demanding" a trade ... big deal. He can demand all he wants. The only way this becomes a problem is if Sergio is the one upset - to the point where it affects his play.
How upset is he? How badly does he want out?

MarHill
11-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I can agree with all that. But you'll never get fair value for a Tim Duncan or Tony Parker. Hell, the Lakers only got Lamar Odom & Caron Butler (the inconsistent/crappy Caron) for Shaq still in his prime.

I have to respond to this....at least this trade wasn't coming from a Spoiled Spurs fan.

First of all, Allanon....there is no way that the Spurs are trading Tim, Tony, or Manu!! This is the core of the championship caliber ball-club. Remember 3 of the last 6 titles have come from South Texas!! Spurs have built their team around this core and they going to ride out for at least 2-3 years!!

Also, last year ( I will give the Lakers credit they did win the series) but with a healthy Manu...the WCF would have been different. There was only one blowout game-Game 2 and everything else was really close.

So to write that the Spurs can't win another championship this year with the true Big 3..is a little premature.
Also, it is only 4 games and yes the defense has struggled but it is a 82 game season and their defense will improved before the season.

We are so ready to make quick judgements on teams but after 4 games!!! Yikes!!

I know fans like to propose crazy trades (for Superstar players) to create a buzz...however there has to be some realism in what you are proposing.

Wow!!!

Allanon
11-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Im sorry my friend but thats one dumb list. 2 former MVPs, 2 finals MVPS and one of the top big men in the league. You think POR can get one of these guys for some young bench players? are you insane

btw Oden, LMA and Roy are untouchable

It's all good, it's crazy, yes.

But sometimes it takes crazy measures to get you back on top.

Lakers were going nowhere so they took a gamble and sent Divacs (one of the top Centers at the time) for an un-proven high-schooler, Kobe.

The problem with Superstars is that you'll never get equal value in return. However, you can trade potential for a superstar.

For the Spurs, it will be difficult for them to win a championship with the current core and it's only going to get worse as the years go on.

Why not retool right now while you have 3 very attractive trade pieces?

LMA, Oden, Roy, Rudy I think wouldn't be untouchable if Duncan or Parker were involved.

Jloyola
11-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Lakers are willing to give you Luke Walton and a #1 draft pick for Sergio

Allanon
11-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I have to respond to this....at least this trade wasn't coming from a Spoiled Spurs fan.

First of all, Allanon....there is no way that the Spurs are trading Tim, Tony, or Manu!! This is the core of the championship caliber ball-club. Remember 3 of the last 6 titles have come from South Texas!! Spurs have built their team around this core and they going to ride out for at least 2-3 years!!

It's a long-shot and you're right, they Spurs probably won't trade them off. I'm just looking at the possibilities if they were willing.

Also, last year ( I will give the Lakers credit they did win the series) but with a healthy Manu...the WCF would have been different. There was only one blowout game-Game 2 and everything else was really close.

I thought this too; however, I didn't expect Bowen & Finley to play as badly as they have.

So to write that the Spurs can't win another championship this year with the true Big 3..is a little premature.
Also, it is only 4 games and yes the defense has struggled but it is a 82 game season and their defense will improved before the season.

We are so ready to make quick judgements on teams but after 4 games!!! Yikes!!

It is premature, but I just get that feeling. I mean like tonight, I wouldn't take a bet to say the Spurs would beat Miami. Even with Manu back, that won't fix the defensive issues.

I know fans like to propose crazy trades (for Superstar players) to create a buzz...however there has to be some realism in what you are proposing.

Wow!!!

It's a crazy trade idea but what else is there to talk about? :D

Allanon
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Shoot, I'd trade Pau to the Blazers for Aldridge straight up, if I could.

MarHill
11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
It's all good, it's crazy, yes.

But sometimes it takes crazy measures to get you back on top.

Lakers were going nowhere so they took a gamble and sent Divacs (one of the top Centers at the time) for an un-proven high-schooler, Kobe.

The problem with Superstars is that you'll never get equal value in return. However, you can trade potential for a superstar.

For the Spurs, it will be difficult for them to win a championship with the current core and it's only going to get worse as the years go on.

Why not retool right now while you have 3 very attractive trade pieces?

LMA, Oden, Roy, Rudy I think wouldn't be untouchable if Duncan or Parker were involved.

Allanon,

How can you write it will be difficult for the Spurs to win a championship...when they were in WCF last year?

I would give more credence to your arguement....if the Spurs were a 7 or 8 seed last year or didn't make the playoffs.

But they have averaged at least 55 wins since 2003 and made it to at least the second round of the playoffs since that time. Oh by the way...three championships in that period.

But you want to the Spurs to trade one or two or all of the real big three...that's absurd!! Sorry!!

If the Spurs were really declining as far as wins and not making the playoffs or a border playoff team...then I could see moving a big piece.

But...you don't trade a sure fire hall-of-famer who is still playing well and the cornerstone for your franchise for someone who has potential. Sorry!!

By the way, one of the biggest mistakes that the Chicago Bulls made in the late 90's was breaking up that team to early. Even Jerry Krause....realizes that!!

So while you are at the top of mountain or near the top of mountain you ride out as long as you can.

Lastly, after next season the only Spurs under contract will be Tim and Tony. I'm sure Manu will be re-signed! But..the Spurs can rebuild for the future and still be competitive!! Spurs have shown great financial discipline (something disliked by a lot of Spurs fans! But it is a business and they tend to forget that).

:flag:

Allanon
11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Allanon,

Hi MarHill!

How can you write it will be difficult for the Spurs to win a championship...when they were in WCF last year?

I would give more credence to your arguement....if the Spurs were a 7 or 8 seed last year or didn't make the playoffs.

But they have averaged at least 55 wins since 2003 and made it to at least the second round of the playoffs since that time. Oh by the way...three championships in that period.

But you want to the Spurs to trade one or two or all of the real big three...that's absurd!! Sorry!!

Nah, not all 3 of the Big3, just 1 of them in return for 2-3 great young prospects (Aldridge, Oden, Rudy, Roy, etc)

It's the supporting cast that is the problem, not the Big 3. Namely Bowen and Finley. That's why I've written off the team as currently composed.

Add in Kurt Thomas too. Those guys were dependable for your Spurs last year, this year, they look like they should have retired.

I watched the Mavs game and Jason Terry repeatedly took Bowen off the dribble...something that wouldn't have occurred before.
Kurt Thomas got killed by Amare Stoudamire in the Suns game, another thing that didn't happen before.
Finley is shooting a career low from 2point (33%) and 3 point (33%) and Free Throws (60%). It's early but he just doesn't "look" good out there on the court.

If the Spurs were really declining as far as wins and not making the playoffs or a border playoff team...then I could see moving a big piece.

It's early so I could be very wrong. But I just don't feel the Spurs playing out there, it looks like the old Phoenix Suns (3-4 guys scoring and nobody playing defense)

But...you don't trade a sure fire hall-of-famer who is still playing well and the cornerstone for your franchise for someone who has potential. Sorry!!

By the way, one of the biggest mistakes that the Chicago Bulls made in the late 90's was breaking up that team to early. Even Jerry Krause....realizes that!!

So while you are at the top of mountain or near the top of mountain you ride out as long as you can.

I think the riding started a season ago. Spurs let it ride in 2008, in my opinion, and almost made it. If it weren't for the rapid decline of Bowen, Finley and KT, I'd roll the dice one more time too.

Lastly, after next season the only Spurs under contract will be Tim and Tony. I'm sure Manu will be re-signed! But..the Spurs can rebuild for the future and still be competitive!! Spurs have shown great financial discipline (something disliked by a lot of Spurs fans! But it is a business and they tend to forget that).

:flag:

I didn't know that about the contracts. Spurs have always been very fiscally responsible, almost to a fault.

MarHill
11-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi MarHill!

Nah, not all 3 of the Big3, just 1 of them in return for 2-3 great young prospects (Aldridge, Oden, Rudy, Roy, etc)

It's the supporting cast that is the problem, not the Big 3. Namely Bowen and Finley. That's why I've written off the team as currently composed.

Add in Kurt Thomas too. Those guys were dependable for your Spurs last year, this year, they look like they should have retired.

I watched the Mavs game and Jason Terry repeatedly took Bowen off the dribble...something that wouldn't have occurred before.
Kurt Thomas got killed by Amare Stoudamire in the Suns game, another thing that didn't happen before.
Finley is shooting a career low from 2point (33%) and 3 point (33%) and Free Throws (60%). It's early but he just doesn't "look" good out there on the court.

It's early so I could be very wrong. But I just don't feel the Spurs playing out there, it looks like the old Phoenix Suns (3-4 guys scoring and nobody playing defense)

I think the riding started a season ago. Spurs let it ride in 2008, in my opinion, and almost made it. If it weren't for the rapid decline of Bowen, Finley and KT, I'd roll the dice one more time too.

I didn't know that about the contracts. Spurs have always been very fiscally responsible, almost to a fault.

Allanon,

It is only 4 games and the Spurs has always been a work in progress!!

I need more evidence before I see a true decline....when the past evidence has not shown that.

Lastly, Roger Mason has given (so far) them a legit fourth scorer and we are missing one of the real big 3. Hill and Farmer have shown some ability. Remember the criticism last year (and still this year) is the Spurs are too old. Well...they have some youth and athleticism on the ballclub!

Please wait until at least late Jan or Early Feb before you can judge the Spurs. Not 4 games into a new season and when they are missing one of their key guys.

BacktoBasics
11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Martell getting the extension should actually make it easier to trade him for equal or better talent.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Allanon,

It is only 4 games and the Spurs has always a work in progress!!

I need more evidence before I see a true decline....when the past evidence has not shown that.

Lastly, Roger Mason has given (so far) a legit fourth scorer and we are missing one of the real big 3. Hill and Farmer have shown some ability. Remember the criticism last year (and still this year) is the Spurs are too old. Well...they have some youth and athleticism on the ballclub!

Please wait until at least late Jan or Early Feb before you can judge the Spurs. Not 4 games into a new season and when they are missing one of their key guys.

Agreed. Let's wait and see. And please don't take as my trying to insult your Spurs. I'm just trying to give an honest "4 game" evaluation :D

MarHill
11-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Agreed. Let's wait and see. And please don't take as my trying to insult your Spurs. I'm just trying to give an honest "4 game" evaluation :D

No problem, Allanon!

I do get worked up about this team...like any true fan. However, I know people outside of the Spurs Nation (and some spoiled ones inside the Spurs Nation) are ready to discard this team because they are tired of seeing them. Our society is always ready to get rid of the old for something new..even though the old is working quite well.

Well, I'm not ready to discard them!! Especially on how successful they have been and still have some gas left in the tank.

:lol

sexinthatsx
11-07-2008, 05:25 PM
It's funny and crazy.

That's why I made this thread:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108818
after parker's 55 point night, it's the perfect time to grab us some youngns to help us out.

Also, here's the update on the sergio rodriguez news:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/11/pritchard_sergio_is_going_nowh.html

mystargtr34
11-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Duncan and Aldridge similar??? One is a back to the basket guy who likes to take it to the rim and protects the rim.

The other guy is a 7 footer who floats around at 12-18 feet shooting jump shots with the occasional soft hook shot thrown in jumping away from contact.

The only similarity is their height, Pau Gasol is a better comparison for Aldridge.

And Al Jefferson for Duncan.

And no, the Spurs wouldnt trade Duncan regardless. You dont trade franchise players who win and get you rings - you ship the ones that do jack shit in terms of winning and take up salary and become a burden like Allen Iverson and T-Mac

mystargtr34
11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi MarHill!

Kurt Thomas cant, never could and never would be able to gaurd Amare Stoudemire.

Shorter quicker guys like Wade and even Terry have been known to give problems to Bowen before. Not saying Terry would have gone off for 30 on Bowen a couple years back, but the more worrying signs are him not being able to slow down Roy and Mike Miller.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Duncan and Aldridge similar??? One is a back to the basket guy who likes to take it to the rim and protects the rim.

The other guy is a 7 footer who floats around at 12-18 feet shooting jump shots with the occasional soft hook shot thrown in jumping away from contact.

The only similarity is their height, Pau Gasol is a better comparison for Aldridge.

Al Jefferson doesn't have Duncan's shooting range or mobility so he can't play the high post like Duncan, Pau, Aldridge. Duncan, Pau and Aldridge can all shoot well almost to the 3 point range.

I think Pau, Aldridge and Duncan all have similar games, just varying degrees of aggressiveness. Duncan is aggressive, Pau and Aldridge aren't. Pau I think it's in his nature but Aldridge I think cuz he's young and still learning.

If you look at their talents and skillsets, all 3 are mobile big men who can play in the low post, high post or spot up for J's at the top of the key.

Pau doesn't have as much talent as Aldridge.

Aldridge doesn't have as much talent as Duncan.

And Al Jefferson for Duncan.

Al Jefferson's more of a bruiser type player whereas Duncan's more finesse and only BAD when he wants to be.

And no, the Spurs wouldnt trade Duncan regardless. You dont trade franchise players who win and get you rings - you ship the ones that do jack shit in terms of winning and take up salary and become a burden like Allen Iverson and T-Mac

Like I said, it's a long shot and of course, nobody wants to trade Mr. Spur himself. But it might be better for the Spurs long-term success. With a huge inflow of young talent, the Spurs would be contenders for the next 10 years (Manu/Rudy, Tony, Roy, Aldridge)...you won't get all 3 guys but mix and match whichever and maybe a 3rd player like Outlaw or Batum.