PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Tony vs. The World

duncan228
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Jeff McDonald: Tony vs. the World (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_t_22.html)

For a quick moment following Friday morning's shootaround, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was asked to reflect on Tony Parker's 55-point, 10-assist masterpiece against Minnesota.

"It was kind of Tony against the world, wasn't it?" Popovich said.

It was an interesting turn of phrase, considering Popovich's recent lecture on usage of "NBA champion" vs. "world champion."

The issue came up again at this morning's shootaround, and Parker -- one of the league's top international players -- said he had no real beef with an NBA champion using either designation. Pondering the issue, however, led Parker to inadvertently come up with a cool idea for settling the debate.

"Maybe one day we can see the best NBA team against the best European team," Parker said. "We can make it a game every year. It would be fun. Then, you could say 'World Champion.' "

Asked who he would suit up for if, under this hypothetical, the Spurs had to face his French national team, Parker didn't miss a beat.

"The Spurs, of course," he said. "I want to win."

stéphane
11-07-2008, 02:08 PM

:rollin

Please make it a one quarter game so we don't end up looking ridiculous.

Man Mountain
11-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Is there any doubt who Manu would pick .................................. :rolleyes

Allanon
11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I still remember the good 'ol days when Tony in Pop's doghouse was a regular occurrence. Pop would yank Tony from games and yell at him and Tony would sit there all sad and shit. I guess all that tough love paid off.

Fermixalot
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I still remember the good 'ol days when Tony in Pop's doghouse was a regular occurrence. Pop would yank Tony from games and yell at him and Tony would sit there all sad and shit. I guess all that tough love paid off.

I'm pretty sure all the yelling is part of what made Tony the hardened veteran he is. :ihit

The idea of the best European team vs. the NBA champion is an intriguing one. I would watch!! :toast

Walton Buys Off Me
11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Nice jab at Manu.

TMTTRIO
11-07-2008, 06:10 PM
hey Manu's won as many medals and championships with his NT as he has with the Spurs. It would be interesting who he chooses but knowing Manu I think I know.