PDA

View Full Version : freecreditreport.com

ashbeeigh
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
What a load of crap! Yes, I know I was being charged for being able to check my credit "free." I was cool with that. It was $13 a month, which isn't too bad, I've seen on other websites that it goes for up to $35 a month to have to credit checked every month. Since my credit is so-so (actually pretty crappy..so I thought) I would keep an eye on it for a while and signed up for the membership.

But, I had someone from ACORN Housing pull my credit through their services a few weeks ago and saw that my scores are actually so-so for someone who has a car loan, student loans, credit cards, and one thing in collections (lame story). I don't remember what each bureau was but it averaged to close to 651. Here's the kicker... freecreditreport.com had my score between 555 when I bought my car to 584 when I paid my student loans with my AmeriCorp scholarship which was $2500. 576!!! What the heck??!! That's nowhere near my actual score!

So I called up freecrditreport.com just now to cancel my account and they transfer me over to India to cancel my account. I answered all the security questions and then the guy launch into these questions, "Why are you canceling? Why aren't you taking advantage of your free credit report? You know every time someone looks at your credit it shows up as an inquiry!" I was like "look habib, just cancel the account, the average I've been thinking is correct for a year now isn't even correct. so give me my $13 back." I know he wold have been the big toast of the call center he won me back, but it just would not had happened. Sorry Habib.

click.

ĄDios mio! I need to go to Wurstfest!

to21
11-07-2008, 03:32 PM
ur a racist!!

ineedgoodcredit
11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I hear ya.

ashbeeigh
11-07-2008, 03:40 PM
ur a racist!!

This has long been established. Didn't you read the mace thread? :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
It was actually the car wreck thread that established you as a racist. Why are you keeping monthly tabs on your credit report though? Just do the annual free credit check to make sure nothing is on there that shouldn't be.

PM5K
11-07-2008, 03:54 PM
It's not a horrible idea if you have the money to waste, but you should have gotten your FICO score which they don't provide...

ashbeeigh
11-07-2008, 03:57 PM
It was actually the car wreck thread that established you as a racist. Why are you keeping monthly tabs on your credit report though? Just do the annual free credit check to make sure nothing is on there that shouldn't be.

Oh my bad, the car wreck thread. I'll keep the threads in check then.

I signed up through Sallie Mae to see me credit score when I was buying my car and then noticed the started charging me for it. It was actually just laziness on my part to not cancel the account. Then when I found out it wasn't a true representation of what my credit was that's when I decided that it was time to stop it.

I wanted to eventually refinance my car (I think I had a thread about that too..) so keeping track and watching it go up enough to decide when to do that was why I was tracking it monthly to start out with.

Blake
11-07-2008, 04:11 PM
song stuck in my head part II

F -R- E -E that spells free
creditreport dot com babe-eeee

to21
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
This has long been established. Didn't you read the mace thread? :rolleyesWell as long as you have admitted it to yourself, that's the right step on the road to salvation.

:P

BacktoBasics
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Go through Transunion not some other source. Its called Truecredit.

Its 15.95 a month for all three credit reports in real time with scores. Your report and score can be updated every 24 hours if you desire.

Unless you completely understand credit you'll never figure out how to make heads or tails of your score going up and down.

You pulling your credit daily has no effect on score at all. ACORN pulling your credit does.

I know credit up and down I understand with about 90% accuracy how the FICO formula works. If you want help or advice I'd be more than happy to lend a hand or an opinion.

Your score was different because ACORN probably pulled a mortgage induced score just like an auto dealership pulling an auto induced score. There is a very big difference. Your freecreditreport.com score was a raw score so you pitched a fit when you were actually wrong. Not only is your score different from bureau to bureau its also different when you pull for a home loan and then a car loan. Your Experian raw score might be 575 but with good auto history a dealership might pull a 620 for you. This helps them get you a loan because your auto history is stronger than your other history.

Its confusing if you need help ask me. My help is free.

Almost no one realizes that you score is different depending on the type of organization pulling the bureau.

JoeChalupa
11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Life coach and credit coach. :tu I give credit where credit is due!!!

I. Hustle
11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
He's also a girls volleyball coach /creditdue

BacktoBasics
11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
He's also a girls volleyball coach /creditdueThat would be fucking sweet

I. Hustle
11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
That would be fucking sweet

Hex Yeah

MannyIsGod
11-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Hmm I never knew that your score was different based upon the loan type you are pulling it for. Thanks for that info.

leemajors
11-07-2008, 09:59 PM
i get $5m monthly monitoring from experian through USAA.

Biernutz
11-07-2008, 10:40 PM
This web site is where you get 3 FREE credit reports each year. I'll repeat it's FREE!
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

spurster
11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
This web site is where you get 3 FREE credit reports each year. I'll repeat it's FREE!
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

That's the site you should go to. freecreditreport.com is a ripoff.

Good 'N Plenty
11-08-2008, 08:42 AM
That's the site you should go to. freecreditreport.com is a ripoff.

+1

Thunder Dan
11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
you know you can check your credit for free once a year from all the major credit places...there is really no need to pay to monitor your credit

BacktoBasics
11-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm one that believes that paying the 15 a month is a more than worthy investment. Most people don't realize that a 150 dollars on a credit card can sway your score 50 or 60 points. This could be the difference between 5.99% and 12.99% on a loan.

Especially if you have a common name...like Ashley. A small phone collection of less than 100 bucks thats not yours might take 3 months to have removed. That small debt could...again...be the difference between 5.99% and 12.99%. You're talking about swaying a payment 50 or so dollars.

The dealership isn't going to tell you

"hey wait if you go and pay down that credit card and wait a month for it to update you could shave 30 bucks off your payment"

or

"look pal you have a very small debt in collection from another state it might not be yours but if you sort it out and come back in 60 days you'll save 3,500 in interest."

It makes an enormous difference in the long haul to monitor and keep up with your money and finances. Lots of people love to impulse buy and being up to speed allows to make much wiser decisions. Its like paying 15 bucks a month for personal and financial insurance only you get the luxury of monitoring it yourself.

I never understood the people that think its no big deal to skip over monitoring your credit. Its your single most important life line outside for you breathing body. It dictates nearly every single aspect of your cost of living.

BacktoBasics
11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Getting a free credit report does not give you your score.

Good 'N Plenty
11-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I've never paid for credit monitoring and have a nice house, nice vehicles and doing well.

johnsmith
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I've never paid for credit monitoring and have a nice house, nice vehicles and doing well.

Dude, that's because you are still living at home with your parents.

How many times do I have to tell you this, those things aren't yours!

Thunder Dan
11-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Getting a free credit report does not give you your score.

why do you need a score? Knowing your score doesn't do anything, it's knowing what is on your report. If you don't have anything bad on your report you score is fine, if you have a bunch of knocks then it doesn't matter what your score is

Thunder Dan
11-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I guess if you have credit card debt you can know your score, but if you have credit card debt you shouldn't be buying anything using financing anyway

BacktoBasics
11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess if you have credit card debt you can know your score, but if you have credit card debt you shouldn't be buying anything using financing anyway
Not entirely so.

You can have perfect credit not one bad mark and have 2 credit cards with a mere 500 limit on both cards. Having some revolving debt is good for you credit score.

If your balance on each card is around 400. Your score could very easily drop from 710ish to 640ish. So perfect credit doesn't insure a perfect score. Debt to available credit on revolving credit plays a massive part in determining your FICO. This is why its important to prep your credit before a purchase. A few hundred dollar payments to the cards can save thousands in finance amounts on you next loan.

Don't listen if you think you have it figured out. Banks love people who don't frequently check their reports. Even if they get over a point or two in interest its still a few hundred dollars more they're making.

Good N Plenty:

Thats great that you have such nice things and loads of money but I'm willing to bet that you could have saved thousands in interest by keeping a closer eye on things. There is a big difference when it comes to "good" credit. Some good or great credit like a 680 might earn 6.99% where the same guy with say a 740 might earn 4.99%. To think that all you had to do to take your 680 to a 740 was pay down two credit cards another 2-3 hundred bucks.

Its all about the particulars.

BacktoBasics
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
You know what I still fail to understand? I constantly explain time and time again how much money you save by checking and monitoring a simple item like a credit report only for people to refuse to listen. We aren't talking about saving 30 bucks here we are talking about saving thousands of dollars. Just because you always pay your bills on time and are told you have excellent credit doesn't mean you can't save a few thousand more by going the extra mile and monitor you finances.

I'm telling you how to do it for free. Finance planners charge an arm and a leg for this free simple advice I'm giving you.

15 bucks a month and some moderate intelligence would save an easy 2k a year for a guy with 1 home and 1 auto in finance. Thats a lot of fucking money.

Amazing how so many peoeple insist on the "if its not broke don't fix it" mentality. Seriously if you do a few minor things before each purchase you can turn your not broke credit into a massive savings.

Good 'N Plenty
11-08-2008, 11:55 AM
If
Good N Plenty:

Thats great that you have such nice things and loads of money but I'm willing to bet that you could have saved thousands in interest by keeping a closer eye on things. There is a big difference when it comes to "good" credit. Some good or great credit like a 680 might earn 6.99% where the same guy with say a 740 might earn 4.99%. To think that all you had to do to take your 680 to a 740 was pay down two credit cards another 2-3 hundred bucks.

Its all about the particulars.

Not true. We got a great fixed mortgage rate and we had NO credit card debt. We got our stuff together way before we bought a home. You don't have to be an expert to do your homework.

Good 'N Plenty
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Dude, that's because you are still living at home with your parents.

How many times do I have to tell you this, those things aren't yours!

:lol Don't lump me with your pathetic life and besides, we all know that we are just renting from the govt.

BacktoBasics
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Not true. We got a great fixed mortgage rate and we had NO credit card debt. We got our stuff together way before we bought a home. You don't have to be an expert to do your homework.I never said you had to be an expert to do your homework. Most people have no clue how to manage and maximize a credit report. Nothing wrong with credit card debt if its managed percentage wise properly. Matter of fact its beneficial to your FICO to have a 15-25% debt to available credit limit vs. no credit card debt at all. You got it all figured out so keep rocking on friend.

exstatic
11-08-2008, 01:43 PM
song stuck in my head part II

F -R- E -E that spells free
creditreport dot com babe-eeee

Now instead of lookin' fly and rollin' phat,
I'm stickin' to the seats
and my posse's gettin' laughed at.

tlongII
11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I like the commericials.

Biernutz
11-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Pay your bills and stop being a deadbeat and you don't have to worry about your credit! It will be good.

DannyT
11-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Hmm I never knew that your score was different based upon the loan type you are pulling it for. Thanks for that info.

thats another reason our economy is fucked right now...by lying to you that your credit is better then it really is..."sure mouse heres your 5000 dollar loan..."

dont worry Opamas gonna pay for my gas....:ihit

DannyT
11-09-2008, 01:59 AM
I actually ment obama....Im not a republican.

BacktoBasics
11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Pay your bills and stop being a deadbeat and you don't have to worry about your credit! It will be good.That statement right there is exactly why I've gone off time and time again about monitoring your credit.

A person who says something like that is the exact kind of person that thinks they're getting the deal of a lifetime but could have saved a few thousand dollars by taking the time to dig a little deeper into their bureau and prep themselves before a purschase. Textbook example of how easy it is to get screwed on a loan without even knowing it.

Paying your bills on time isn't enough you have to manage balances before major purchases. This is the kind of attitude that costs you money in the long run and you didn't even know it.

I'VE STATED HERE COUNTLESS TIMES.

If you have absolutely perfect credit. Never a single mistake and never once were you ever late you could easily have a score in the low 600's due to meanial credit card balances being a bit high. I don't mean thousands of dollars high. You score can drop 100 points by just have a balance thats a few hundred dollars more than you should. Its all a formula and credit card balances play a much bigger part in determining your FICO than timely payments.

It could mean the different between 4.99% and 7.99%.

Believe me when I tell you I never and I mean never tell my customers that they could have earned a better rate had they made a 100 dollar extra credit card payment before trying to buy the big ticket item.

I say things like

"wow you have great credit good job 7.99% is a killer rate in these tough times"

"not a bad thing in your report. Thats why you got such a good rate like 7.99%"

Meanwhile if they would have just trimmed down their balances another 200 bucks they could have qualified for 4.99%. Shit they didn't even know 4.99 existed. Even more so they had no idea that by making those small payments they could have pushed their FICO scores up another notch. Because they don't bother checking their credit and scores because they pay their bills on time and never worry about it.

I keep very low credit card limits. I only have two credit cards with 500 limits on each. If my balances are at 50%....pretty normal for most people. A 100 dollar payment on each card would move my credit score up 30 or so points. Being smart enough to manipulate your credit like that saves you thousands in interest on your big ticket loans.

Being on time and always paying your bills isn't enough. They want you to think that way though.

Reason:

You're more inclined to impulse purchase if you don't check your credit and have the mentality that "all is great because I pay my bills".

Shockingly Ash never bothered to returned to this thread. She's one of those that flat doesn't listen.

ashbeeigh
11-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Shockingly Ash never bothered to returned to this thread. She's one of those that flat doesn't listen.

The purpose of my thread was to bitch about freecreditreport.com, not about credit in general. I'm working towards getting my credit up. I pay double my minimum, more if I can, and hang on for dear life until I get a good interest rate on something I want (which will be never with the money I'm making now).

BacktoBasics
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
The purpose of my thread was to bitch about freecreditreport.com, not about credit in general. I'm working towards getting my credit up. I pay double my minimum, more if I can, and hang on for dear life until I get a good interest rate on something I want (which will be never with the money I'm making now).
Like I said earlier you bitched because you thought the scores were inaccurate. I gave you the likely scenario where they weren't. I'm not saying you should have stuck with FCR.com because there are better places but the point in your complaint was more than likely wrong.

The last point I made about you was more about you and not credit. You typically make a post and end up with 4 or 5 great responses giving you sound solid guidence. Which you never seem to take...remember the car thread. You went a did the one single thing most of us suggested you not do.

ashbeeigh
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
The last point I made about you was more about you and not credit. You typically make a post and end up with 4 or 5 great responses giving you sound solid guidence. Which you never seem to take...remember the car thread. You went a did the one single thing most of us suggested you not do.

advice from four or five guys I've never met and probably won't ever meet
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the people who pay my rent, groceries, my utilities, bills when I can't pay them because I lost my job (parents) .

BacktoBasics
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Then maybe you shouldn't ask for advice online if you have no intentions of entertaining it. I don't need to met every person face to face to process logical advice from fellow members.

BacktoBasics
11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Not to mention that just because someone pays your bills doesn't mean that it would equate to solid advice.

JoeChalupa
11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Use that website where banks compete for your loan and get the best rate.

BacktoBasics
11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Use that website where banks compete for your loan and get the best rate.
I've always wondered about that site. If you're decent or borderline do they actually submit your app to multiple banks? If so having your credit shotgunned around is a bad bad thing.

CuckingFunt
11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
advice from four or five guys I've never met and probably won't ever meet
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the people who pay my rent, groceries, my utilities, bills when I can't pay them because I lost my job (parents) .

Then, seriously, why do you start all the threads?

JoeChalupa
11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I've always wondered about that site. If you're decent or borderline do they actually submit your app to multiple banks? If so having your credit shotgunned around is a bad bad thing.

Yeah me too. But thanks for the advice on credit. :tu

BacktoBasics
11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah me too. But thanks for the advice on credit. :tu
Anytime.

I'm guessing a place like that caters to people with good or excellent credit. They'll pull your credit once and see if they can get an automatic approval through their network. This keeps shopping of credit down to a minimum because a bank doesn't need to pull or check your credit if a third party can qualify you automatically. The premise behind this would be to help keep banks from hiring underwriters to sift through millions of high quality applications. Set some guidelines and allow the dealership or in this case a broker to handle the deal and paper work for you.

Lets hope thats what their doing.

MannyIsGod
11-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Man Ashbeigh gets piled on more than a chick in a Bukkakke video.