PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker out 2 weeks due to ankle

ducks
11-07-2008, 10:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-spurs-parkerinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Tony Parker sprained his left ankle Friday night against Miami and is expected to miss at least two weeks, adding more misery to the already short-handed Spurs.

The NBA’s leading scorer rolled his left ankle while driving for a layup late in the first quarter, then winced and stayed crouched on the baseline for several seconds before collapsing behind the basket.

Parker sustained a moderate lateral ankle sprain and will probably be out more than two weeks, said Dr. Paul Saenz, a team physician. An MRI was expected to be performed Saturday.

The team said X-rays were negative.

Parker scored 55 points against Minnesota on Wednesday, leading San Antonio to a double-overtime victory and avoiding its first 0-4 start since 1973. The Spurs have sputtered without Manu Ginobili, the other member of the “Big Three” along with Tim Duncan.

Ginobili, who was San Antonio’s leading scorer last season, is still recovering from ankle surgery this offseason and is not expected back until next month at the earliest.

Without Ginobili, the Spurs have leaned heavily on Parker and Duncan for offense. The duo has been responsible for 59 percent of San Antonio’s scoring entering Friday’s game, and had taken 55 percent of the team’s shots.

Parker was 2-of-5 from the field and scored four points before leaving the game. Rookie George Hill replaced Parker at point guard.

Parker entered Friday leading the league in scoring at 33.3 points a game. Duncan was third, averaging 27 points.

mavsfan1000
11-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Lottery bound

Spurtacus
11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
That was quick.

Target date November 24. That means he'll miss 7 games.

Lakers2009champs
11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Looks like SA will be in the lottery again :rollin

LAKERS:lobt:2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

Spurtacus
11-07-2008, 10:10 PM
If he's out 3 weeks (rest of the month) he'll miss 11 games. We'll probably go 3-8.

CharlieMac
11-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Damn. Just damn.

Biernutz
11-07-2008, 10:15 PM
The playoffs take the top 8 teams right?

Spurtacus
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
The playoffs take the top 8 teams right?

Yes. We'll need at least 50 wins to get in imo.

VaSpursFan
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
i called it but still think they might hold him out 3 weeks.

Allanon
11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I just saw that sprain, it was flat-out sideways, that's a pretty bad sprain.

Hope he gets better soon, sucks for any player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38619000/jpg/_38619697_balls300.jpg

Cherry
11-07-2008, 10:20 PM
f*****ck!:sick

Roxsfan
11-07-2008, 10:26 PM
ouch:smchode:

timtonymanu
11-07-2008, 10:35 PM
seriously how unlucky are we?

boutons_
11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Same ankle as last season, right?

sribb43
11-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Damn Spurs always tanking to remain on top

Harry Callahan
11-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Did not even step on someone else's foot. This looks like 1996. Guess what happened in 1997 (lucky lotto). This season is just about to go down the drain with Parker's injury. They can't freakin score.

Spurtacus
11-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Damn Spurs always tanking to remain on top

There isn't anyone worth drafting in 09.

SPURSGOAT
11-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Sweet! Maybe get a top 3 pick...:downspin:

At least will have something to look forward to...

mVp
11-07-2008, 10:43 PM
It's gonna be a long loooong season.....

milkyway21
11-07-2008, 11:06 PM
The team said X-rays were negative.

hope the MRI will turn out to be okay as well.

poor Tim Duncan. He's got a lot, lot of load on his shoulders now..:depressed
just take it slow Tim. He has history of 2 bad ankles, a knee. Just don't let yourself get hurt. OR WE'RE DOOMED.

timvp
11-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Doesn't sound good :td

The one thing the Spurs couldn't afford early in this season was an injury to Parker or Duncan. Anything else they could withstand. Guess the unlucky streak continues.

Thank the basketball gods that Mason looks like a capable point guard. Hill with a bum thumb and Vaughn wouldn't be too great of a combo to actually win games.

I guess we just gotta hope that the Spurs can stay within striking distance of .500 and that Parker can return to form once he's back. If Parker comes back gimpy like he did last season, the season's probably over.

Man, this bad luck is unbelievable :pctoss

Mikeyjr88
11-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Its gonna be a long, long season.

:depressed

xtremesteven33
11-07-2008, 11:13 PM
All this is just poetic justice for the Spurs 2008-2009 Championship DVD!!!

BlackSwordsMan
11-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes #1 draft pick!!!

Mikeyjr88
11-07-2008, 11:16 PM
All this is just poetic justice for the Spurs 2008-2009 Championship DVD!!!

Only time will tell.

Deimosfobos
11-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Ghost Writer
11-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Take 2 months off.

Parker is useless without his speed burst.

milkyway21
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Man, this bad luck is unbelievable

why almost every Spur(signed or not), got injured. unbelievable.& it is killing me-
-Manu(ankle)
-Ian
-Oberto (heart scare)
-Thomas
-Hill
-Parker

then there was Salim..

BlackSwordsMan
11-07-2008, 11:25 PM
duncan is next

Cant_Be_Faded
11-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Do any of you believe in coincidences? Is it a coincidence that after Parker firmly cements himself as an all time elite guard he gets injured? Now we all know unless he takes a long long time off, he will come back as shit, like he does every season he hurts his ankle.

Realistically, he should take like a month and a half off but its impossible because of manu's selfish stupid ass summer antics.

duncan228
11-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Spurs down to Big One after Parker hurt (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parkers_injury_drops_Spurs__Big_Three_down_to_Big_ One.html)
Jeff McDonald

Now, the Spurs are in trouble.

Dwyane Wade scored 33 points and multitalented rookie Michael Beasley had 20, as the Miami Heat — 15-game winners a year ago — routed the Spurs 99-83 on Friday night at the AT&T Center.

The game was only the second-most important thing the Spurs lost.

Point guard Tony Parker — fresh off a career-best 55-point game in a double-overtime victory at Minnesota — sprained his left ankle late in the first quarter and did not return.

The Spurs' medical staff says Parker will have an MRI today and could be out for two weeks.

It is an especially devastating blow for the Spurs, who are already without star guard Manu Ginobili, out until mid-December following offseason ankle surgery.

With two-thirds of their Big Three incapacitated, the Spurs turned to Tim Duncan — the “Lone One” — to carry them.

Duncan was game, scoring 22 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, but the Spurs fell to 1-4 to match the worst five-game start in franchise history.

For Miami, it was only the second victory in San Antonio in team history, the first since Dec. 23, 1996, and the first at the AT&T Center. The Heat was 1-20 in previous trips to the Alamo City before Friday night's game.

Parker's injury wasn't the reason the Spurs lost for the third time in three tries at home this season and made a dubious kind of history.

Boosted by an early 16-0 run, Miami (3-2) was already ahead 22-9 as the game clock crept toward two minutes left in the first quarter. Then, the one thing the already-depleted Spurs could not have happen happened.

Parker was driving the baseline toward a layup when his left ankle gave way beneath him. He hopped off the court and to the locker room.

X-rays of Parker's ankle taken at the arena were negative.

milkyway21
11-07-2008, 11:44 PM
manu's selfish stupid ass summer anticsthat was really a bad decision for Manu bec he was already -injured against LA in the playoffs. But you can't just hate him if he loves playing in the Olympics...and for his country. It's just bad timing because this is supposed to be the yr when this team starts reinforcing younger players and they don't know the system yet. We let Brent go, no Manu, they could be an option for PG if TP's on vacation. JV is simply exposed as non valuable right now.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
It was retarded because

a) he was injured already
b) argentina doesn't cut his fucking checks
and most importantly, something never said on this forum by anyone but me
c) it was painfully obvious to anyone that wasn't slaving away in a sweat shop all year that the USA was not going to be beaten in the olympics....we had a real team that had practiced and theres just no way anyone would have beat us

milkyway21
11-07-2008, 11:51 PM
a) he was injured already
I agree with you. he aggrevated it.

I only pray Tim Duncan won't suffer the same fate.

Watching them get beaten even by non-playoff teams is an agony...

Texas Chili Dog
11-08-2008, 12:02 AM
seriously how unlucky are we?

Y'all win a championship every other year. Don't give me any of that. :lol

intlspurshk
11-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Parker's plays will get him injured someday. He is excellent scorer but if he only rely on his speeds, how long can he sustain this level of performance??? I just worried about his ankle durability.

duncan228
11-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Updated headline: Up to 4 weeks.

Parker could miss up to four weeks (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Parker_hurts_ankle.html)
By Mike Monroe

Just two days after he scored 55 points against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Spurs All-Star point guard Tony Parker suffered a sprained left ankle late in the first quarter of the Spurs' Friday night game against the Miami Heat at AT&T Center.

Parker appeared to land awkwardly after driving to the basket on the right baseline with 2:06 remaining in the first period. A televised replay of the play showed his ankle rolling as he landed.

X-rays taken at the arena were negative.

Parker left the arena on crutches, and is scheduled for an MRI exam Saturday. After the game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Parker could miss 2-to-4 weeks.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-08-2008, 12:47 AM
I thought he rolled his ankle as he was taking off not landing.

timvp
11-08-2008, 12:49 AM
After the game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Parker could miss 2-to-4 weeks.

So Parker will be out five weeks. Wonder if Manu or Parker will be back first.

Damn, these next five weeks are going to suck :depressed

mVp
11-08-2008, 12:49 AM
I thought he rolled his ankle as he was taking off not landing.

Yeah, that's what I saw too... he was driving to the rim and rolled his ankle just like that.

Das Texan
11-08-2008, 12:51 AM
:pctoss X 1000

dg7md
11-08-2008, 12:51 AM
There isn't anyone worth drafting in 09.

Season hasn't started yet. We don't know.

timvp
11-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Next Five Weeks without Ginobili or Parker
Tue, Nov 11 - NY Knicks - Win (2-4)
Wed, Nov 12 - @ Milwaukee - Loss (2-5)
Fri, Nov 14 - Houston - Loss (2-6)
Sun, Nov 16 - @ Sacramento - Win (3-6)
Mon, Nov 17 - @ LA Clippers - Win (4-6)
Wed, Nov 19 - Denver - Loss (3-7)
Fri, Nov 21 - Utah - Loss (3-8)
Mon, Nov 24 - @ Memphis - Win (4-8)
Wed, Nov 26 - Chicago - Win (5-8)
Fri, Nov 28 - Memphis -Win (6-8)
Sat, Nov 29 - @ Houston - Loss (6-9)
Tue, Dec 2 - Detroit - Loss (6-10)
Thu, Dec 4 - @ Denver - Loss (6-11)
Sat, Dec 6 - Golden State - Loss (6-12)
Tue, Dec 9 - @ Dallas - Loss (6-13)
Wed, Dec 10 - Atlanta - Loss (6-14)
Fri, Dec 12 - @ Minnesota - Loss (6-15)
Sun, Dec 14 - Oklahoma City - Win (7-15)

That's being kinda generous. The Spurs would need to go 43-17 the rest of the way to get 50 wins. That'd be doable if Parker and Ginobili return healthy and Duncan isn't worn down.

Tough situation but not impossible. Although the 7-15 part is looking at things pretty optimistically . . .

mVp
11-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Doesn't look good... at all...

Kori Ellis
11-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Too early to tell about Tony's ankle. It could be one of those rubber ankle moves that Dirk has all the time and he could be good to go in a couple days. Or it could be ones of those crappy nagging ankle sprains that goes on for months. Saying 2-4 weeks is usually what the Spurs say on game night after any ankle injury. We'll have to wait til after the MRI etc to really know anything.

Spur-Addict
11-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah, back to back wins on a back to back is very, very, very optimistic.

greens
11-08-2008, 01:09 AM

What are the chances of TP coming back in two weeks though if everything looks good with his ankle?

I know that Pop is usually very careful with his players after they have an injury. But right now, the Spurs are in a pretty bad situation. So perhaps, Pop might not be as cautious as he was before?

And I read from some of Manu's articles on his site that he thinks he might be back at the end of November or very early December. Maybe, Pop will let him also come back sooner.

Spork KIller
11-08-2008, 01:16 AM
I feel sorry for your pathetic franchise...

Lottery here we come!! :lol

timaios
11-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Sun, Nov 16 - @ Sacramento - Win (3-6) Loss
Mon, Nov 24 - @ Memphis - Win (4-8) Loss
Wed, Nov 26 - Chicago - Win (5-8) Loss
Sun, Dec 14 - Oklahoma City - Win (7-15) (4-18)

That's being kinda generous. The Spurs would need to go 43-17 the rest of the way to get 50 wins. That'd be doable if Parker and Ginobili return healthy and Duncan isn't worn down.

Tough situation but not impossible. Although the 7-15 part is looking at things pretty optimistically . . .

Fixed
More realistic... :bang

Phenomanul
11-08-2008, 01:59 AM
The NBA Live Cover Curse Strikes the Spurs again....

m33p0
11-08-2008, 02:05 AM

not necessarily.

mexicanjunior
11-08-2008, 02:07 AM
I was at the game and didn't realize Parker had hurt his ankle until listening to the post game on the way home. I thought Pop had just had enough of all his starters (except Duncan) and was making a statement to his team by benching them all to start the 2nd half...lol

This pretty much cements us not making the playoffs...time to pray to the ping pong ball gods and thank goodness we got lottery protection on that Seattle trade.

Avitus1
11-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Hopefully we can make it into the playoffs. If not the 2010 plan gets even better.

dav4463
11-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Better to get all the injuries early in the season than later. Now there is a chance for other players to step up and help Duncan out. Hopefully we won't be too far out of it when Ginobili and Parker come back.

angelbelow
11-08-2008, 04:30 AM
even though we need to win and stay competitive, i hope parker doesnt rush back... as much as we need him back we need him 100% healthy..

Manufan909
11-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Shit, it gives Farmer and Mason even more of a chance to prove themselves. I just hope Pop can work it out so JV doesn'tyt get alot of time. Put faith in Hill!!!

Texas Chili Dog
11-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Hopefully y'all can get healthy asap and not suffer anymore injuries. I might be at your home game against the Rockets next Friday. Yeah, kinda random for a Mavs fan to attend a game between the other two Texas teams. But, I have a Rockets fan friend, unfortunately.

Manufan909
11-08-2008, 05:06 AM
So this is how it feels to be a Rockets fan...

:pctoss

Bruno
11-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Remember during the preseason :

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Spurs point guard Tony Parker did not suit up for Tuesday’s preseason game at Van Andel Arena because of minor soreness in his left Achilles tendon, but Coach Gregg Popovich called the decision to sit his star point guard strictly precautionary.

“He has a little Achilles thing that is bothering him a little bit,” Popovich said. “Nothing serious, but we’re not taking any chances.

“With (Manu) Ginobili out for a while, we don’t want to lose him, too. If that happened, I wouldn’t even want to go to the games. I’d just go have dinner and check the results in the morning.”

It may also have been Parker’s turn to watch from behind the bench in street clothes. He was the only starter who had played in the first two preseason games.

First, who will coach Spurs ? :downspin:

Second, Tony has had a protection on his left leg since that event. I wonder why he still wore a protection nearly one month after this "nothing serious" injury and if Parker sprain is somewhat related to that injury. I doubt it be we never know..

Spurs now face a hard time. However, it's way to soon to talk about tanking. In about 10 games this team will be at full strength and a NBA season is damn long.

m33p0
11-08-2008, 06:39 AM

First, who will coach Spurs ? :downspin:

Second, Tony has had a protection on his right leg since that event. I wonder why he still wore a protection nearly one month after this "nothing serious" injury and if Parker sprain is somewhat related to that injury. I doubt it be we never know..

Spurs now face a hard time. However, it's way to soon to talk about tanking. In about 10 games this team will be at full strength and a NBA season is damn long.
shit. so it has been a lingering problem. :depressed

Slippy
11-08-2008, 06:54 AM

Second, Tony has had a protection on his right leg since that event. I wonder why he still wore a protection nearly one month after this "nothing serious" injury and if Parker sprain is somewhat related to that injury. I doubt it be we never know..

Since the article states left achilles can't see it being related to the right leg protection.

Hope they take the conservative route with the left ankle sprain though. We need Tony Parker back at 100 percent. If it's at all related to the left achilles soreness then more reason to take their time. The only good thing to come out of this will be that Hill get's blooded sooner with extended playing time.

As greens pointed out.. it does pose the question. Does it effect Manu's time-table for suiting up? Knowing the Spurs they planned on taking their time but if Manu has progressed better than expected, then it might be an option. Tony was carrying too much of the load as it was.

Bruno
11-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Since the article states left achilles can't see it being related to the right leg protection.

My bad, I wanted to say left leg protection.

Parker also had tons of problems with his left ankle last year. I don't want to be the bad news guy but all these injuries at his left ankle are quite worrisome.

Slippy
11-08-2008, 07:18 AM
My bad, I wanted to say left leg protection.

Parker also had tons of problems with his left ankle last year. I don't want to be the bad news guy but all these injuries at his left ankle are quite worrisome.

ya i remember seeing the protection on Tony, didn't register which leg it was on. Im no doctor but speaking from experience the leg protection would be there to assist the calf as it's connected to the achilles. Fatigue and tightness to the calf can cause problems to the achilles tendon.

Spurs Brazil
11-08-2008, 08:21 AM
For the 1st time since 97 I don't know if we'll make the playoffs.

I hope TP can be back soon and Ian too, because TD have no help.

The bad luck is growing

07 Playoffs, Manu injury
Tiago says no
Batum went 25
Free agents went for more money (Pargo,Magette) Not Spurs fault but...
Manu injury in Olympic games
Ian injury
Oberto heart scare
TP injury

When it's going to stop

Slippy
11-08-2008, 10:54 AM
If the injury has anything do with Tony's achilles soreness, then the MRI slated for today would show it. Fingers crossed it's nothing related or more serious than a ankle sprain.

Spur-Addict
11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
For the 1st time since 97 I don't know if we'll make the playoffs.

I hope TP can be back soon and Ian too, because TD have no help.

The bad luck is growing

07 Playoffs, Manu injury
Tiago says no
Batum went 25
Free agents went for more money (Pargo,Magette) Not Spurs fault but...
Manu injury in Olympic games
Ian injury
Oberto heart scare
TP injury

When it's going to stop

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/1005088.jpg

exstatic
11-08-2008, 11:13 AM
The aftermath was pretty bad. Not only wouldn't Tony put any weight on it, he would even put the foot, or one toe, on the ground. He hopped off the floor on one foot, with Will Sevening carrying half his weight. I'm thinking four weeks is optimistic.

Lakers_55
11-08-2008, 11:17 AM
This sucks. As some have said, better to get the injuries out of the way early. I remember looking at the Spur schedule for the rest of 2008 and it looked weak, so 2009 must be a lot tougher. I do know Lakers only play Spurs 3 times this year. The two games in SA are the second leg of a back-to-back, we play the Rockets the night before each time.

You should make the playoffs. Look at LA in 2002-03 when Shaq was out early. Once he came back, we started winning. Drawback was, come playoff time, we were worn out and outmatched.

ICE3000
11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Looks like SA will be in the lottery again :rollin

LAKERS:lobt:2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

Which would spell bad new for your lakers.... think about it, if the spurs pull a "miami heat" and wind up with a lottery pick that would open this franchise up to another deacade of dominance... well at least 5 more years of being perenneial "favorites to win the title"

hater
11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
2-4 weeks

:pctoss

mFFL03
11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
go mavs go

bee01
11-08-2008, 01:49 PM
All this lottery talk is pathetic. The Rockets won 55 without Yao for a large part of the season. You still have Duncan playing well. Man up and keep playing hard.

spursfan09
11-08-2008, 02:50 PM
:( I hope TP rests and doesn't try to rush back. I was looking forward to another All-Star game with him, but thats not important anymore. Take care of yourself TP!

Nashfan
11-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I was at the game and didn't realize Parker had hurt his ankle until listening to the post game on the way home. I thought Pop had just had enough of all his starters (except Duncan) and was making a statement to his team by benching them all to start the 2nd half...lol

This pretty much cements us not making the playoffs...time to pray to the ping pong ball gods and thank goodness we got lottery protection on that Seattle trade.

You must have been really, really drunk to not have noticed that Parker injured his ankle :wow

Nashfan
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Sun, Nov 16 - @ Sacramento - Win (3-6)
Mon, Nov 24 - @ Memphis - Win (4-8)
Wed, Nov 26 - Chicago - Win (5-8)
Sun, Dec 14 - Oklahoma City - Win (7-15)

I honestly think your team will be lucky to win any of those games without Parker and Ginobilli. Hate to say it but your other guys suck besides Duncan. :wakeup

Cane
11-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I hope Duncan utilizes this opportunity and shows the NBA why he's a dominant, double-teamed all star.

Some Duncan dominance would be nice.

duncan228
11-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Jeff McDonald: Results of Parker MRI TBA (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_r_6.html)

Spurs point guard Tony Parker did undergo an MRI exam on his sprained left ankle Saturday morning, but the results aren't expected to be available until sometime Sunday.

Parker injured his ankle on a drive late in the first quarter of Friday night's 99-83 loss to Miami. X-rays were negative, and the immediate prognosis was that Parker -- the NBA's leading scorer heading into the game -- would be out for 2-to-4 weeks.

More information on Parker's condition should come out tomorrow, with the release of his latest test results.

In the meantime, there's a good chance starting point guard duties will fall to rookie George Hill for the foreseeable future.

"I just have to be me," said Hill, nine months removed from his last college game at IUPUI. "I don't think I have to change anything if I'm a starter or whatever. I just need to keep focusing on what I've been focusing on."

Hill would split minutes at the point with veteran Jacque Vaughn. Vaughn was inactive for the Miami game, and played zero minutes against Minnesota two nights before that.

Roger Mason Jr., like Hill also in his first year with the Spurs, could also play some point guard in an emergency.

tlongII
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Jeff McDonald: Results of Parker MRI TBA (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_r_6.html)

Spurs point guard Tony Parker did undergo an MRI exam on his sprained left ankle Saturday morning, but the results aren't expected to be available until sometime Sunday.

Parker injured his ankle on a drive late in the first quarter of Friday night's 99-83 loss to Miami. X-rays were negative, and the immediate prognosis was that Parker -- the NBA's leading scorer heading into the game -- would be out for 2-to-4 weeks.

More information on Parker's condition should come out tomorrow, with the release of his latest test results.

In the meantime, there's a good chance starting point guard duties will fall to rookie George Hill for the foreseeable future.

"I just have to be me," said Hill, nine months removed from his last college game at IUPUI. "I don't think I have to change anything if I'm a starter or whatever. I just need to keep focusing on what I've been focusing on."

Hill would split minutes at the point with veteran Jacque Vaughn. Vaughn was inactive for the Miami game, and played zero minutes against Minnesota two nights before that.

Roger Mason Jr., like Hill also in his first year with the Spurs, could also play some point guard in an emergency.

What a crock of shit! :lol The results of an MRI are available almost immeidiately these days. The Spurs just want to determine how they want to "spin" the injury to the press. I hate this kind of crap. The Blazers do the same thing.

exstatic
11-08-2008, 03:51 PM
What a crock of shit! :lol The results of an MRI are available almost immeidiately these days. The Spurs just want to determine how they want to "spin" the injury to the press. I hate this kind of crap. The Blazers do the same thing.

They'll have to this year, too, since Oden and Roy will miss more games than Parker and Ginobili.

tlongII
11-08-2008, 03:57 PM
They'll have to this year, too, since Oden and Roy will miss more games than Parker and Ginobili.

Wanna bet?

WildcardManu
11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Well, with the injuries to 2/3 of the core, this is the time for the role players and new comers to gel together. Maybe put some type of streak of W's like the rockets did last season. Only hopeful, not saying they'll do it but one can dream. If we're being written off the playoffs then maybe these guys can play spoilers and give other teams some unnecessary losses.

mVp
11-08-2008, 04:31 PM

Fuck... just give us the damn results dammit! :bang

tmtcsc
11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks we aren't screwed for the season or lottery bound.

All this Doomsday talk is silly. We are 5 games into an 82 game season. No one on the roster has season ending injuries. The Hornets have lost 2, the Mavericks 3 and the Rockets 2. We've lost 4 and we have the best PF in the game.

The young guys will get some valuable experience until we get our studs back and then its on ! Pop is going to hammer the team until our defense improves. We are nowhere near finished or done. I still think we make the playoffs and challenge when all our guys are healthy.

spursfan09
11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks we aren't screwed for the season or lottery bound.

All this Doomsday talk is silly. We are 5 games into an 82 game season. No one on the roster has season ending injuries. The Hornets have lost 2, the Mavericks 3 and the Rockets 2. We've lost 4 and we have the best PF in the game.

The young guys will get some valuable experience until we get our studs back and then its on ! Pop is going to hammer the team until our defense improves. We are nowhere near finished or done. I still think we make the playoffs and challenge when all our guys are healthy.

Yeah no kidding. I do not think the Spurs will miss the playoffs. No matter how badly opposing team fans, media and other spur fans :blah want us to.

duncan228
11-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Nope, you're not alone. It's a lousy way to start a season but it's way too early to write them off. Our young guys will get some time to show Pop what they've got and Manu and Parker will be back. There will be plenty of season left for Pop to mix it all together. (And I never doubt a Spurs team with a healthy Duncan).

duncan228
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Spurs cancel practice day after point guard Tony Parker injured (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jg17l1ACldimwC1tVM8b-PEH9ULg)

SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio Spurs cancelled practice Saturday, a day after all-star guard Tony Parker sprained his left ankle and was expected to miss at least two weeks.

Parker was injured during a 99-83 loss to the Miami Heat on Friday, two nights after scoring a career-high 55 points against the Timberwolves. He was expected to have an MRI examination on Saturday.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Friday that he expected Parker to miss two to four weeks. X-rays taken Friday were negative, but Popovich said Parker's ankle showed plenty of swelling.

The Spurs are 1-4 and off to their worst start since going 1-5 in 1996. They play Tuesday at home against the New York Knicks.

Parker will be replaced in the lineup by either rookie George Hill or 12th-year veteran Jacques Vaughan. Hill took Parker's place after the injury.

The 33-year-old Vaughan was inactive, though no injury was listed. He dressed but did not play Wednesday at Minnesota. He averaged 10 minutes in the Spurs' first four games this season.

Hill has played 35 minutes as a pro. The 26th overall selection out of Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis played 10 minutes after Parker left Friday and missed three shots from the floor but scored one point, had one assist and a turnover.

Texas Chili Dog
11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
a 1-4 start is nothing that can't be overcome. The Mavs started 0-4 a couple years ago, and won 67 games. ;)

xtremesteven33
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
What makes it kinda scary is that the West is just so good this year. Seems like theres no room for error. Then again theres no team out there that looks great besides the Lakers and Celtics

tlongII
11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
If Parker is out 4 weeks or longer the Spurs are done. Stick a fork in them. They just do not have enough talent to compete.

boutons_
11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
The challenge for the young'uns is to learn Pop's system.

I think the bigger challege is with Pop and coaches to bring the young'uns up to speed at an accelerated rate by giving all Manu+Tony's 60 min/g, a good portion of Bruce+Michael+MB+JV's minutes.

Spurs are gonna lose a lot of games anyway with only Tim available for the next month or so, so why waste the minutes with the old/useless guys when you can lose games with the new guys AND train them and give them confidence.

nfg3
11-08-2008, 05:49 PM
For all of you that wanted the young guns to get more PT......here it is. This could be a sliver lining situation though. Develop the younger players faster than normal and have a more balanced team come playoff time. Then again we might be so far in the hole by the time everyone is back and clicking that we miss them. :pctoss Just too early to tell which direction we are going to be headed in.

This is just so frustrating! I hate to think what is could happen next.

The basketball gods can be cruel at times.

2centsworth
11-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Duncan needs to catch a cold and be out 4 weeks too. We have some luck with the ping pong balls.

pauls931
11-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with bad luck. Parker has been busting his ass off trying to get wins for the spurs exponentially increasing his chance of injury. If it wasn't for him, they'd be getting blown out by 20+ consistently.

Lebowski Brickowski
11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Spurs cancel practice day after point guard Tony Parker injured

Pop: We have to re-write the playbook. Anyone have any ideas?

hillscountry
11-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Shit, it gives Farmer and Mason even more of a chance to prove themselves. I just hope Pop can work it out so JV doesn'tyt get alot of time. Put faith in Hill!!!

This is what I"m thinking, are mason,hill,farmer,tolliver real nba players? Its very discouraging to hear the so called experst(van gundy) say that we got nothing after the big 3(which is what I'm thinking too). We need these guys to prove themselves. If they can't then let the rebuilding begin.

Tim and manu aren't going to be here much longer, Tony could be trade bait in a couple of years, It may be a long time before we get a Robinson/Duncan again....

hillscountry
11-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Although I am not an athelete, I've stepped on my ankle like Tony did, and I may have been able to walk on it in 2 weeks, I didn't have the confidence to cut on it for at least 6 weeks....

holcs50
11-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I guess if there's a silver lining to it-it really shows spurs brass really how bad the bench is now. It really is pathetic outside of mason who is the go to guard now. findog-lol, bowen-yikes,oberto-double yikes, thomas-yuck. I'm really like all of us are hoping ian proves to be just a really athletic rebounder and help defender. It so blatantly obvious our big guys are just a disaster. All that being said, no way we should count out the season (unless parker is going to be a long term problem). Spurs can definitely still rally- shore up the D, get young guys more minutes, and mainly get HEALTHy. i still like our chances in the playoffs with a healthy lineup of Td, hopefully ian, parker, mason, gino.

m33p0
11-08-2008, 11:10 PM
This is what I"m thinking, are mason,hill,farmer,tolliver real nba players? Its very discouraging to hear the so called experst(van gundy) say that we got nothing after the big 3(which is what I'm thinking too). We need these guys to prove themselves. If they can't then let the rebuilding begin.

Tim and manu aren't going to be here much longer, Tony could be trade bait in a couple of years, It may be a long time before we get a Robinson/Duncan again....
you've got to realize they haven't had that much time to play together. this is basically a whole new team.

tmtcsc
11-09-2008, 09:21 AM
What makes it kinda scary is that the West is just so good this year. Seems like theres no room for error. Then again theres no team out there that looks great besides the Lakers and Celtics

I believe you are thinking of last year. This year its too early too tell. Perhaps we are getting our injuries out of the way now. Houston could learn a thing or two from us. :lol