PDA

View Full Version : With a healthy TD, TP, Manu, and Mason....

SpursDynasty
11-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Maybe this has all been said already but oh well.

We are an .800 team with our big three and Mason. Last year, we didn't have the #4 scoring option in Mason that we have this year, yet we still made it to the WCF's. Better to get our injury bug out of the way early. I'd rather have Manu and Tony out right now, then to get a 59-win season and have them both out at the end of April for injury.

With TD, TP, Manu, and Mason all at 100%, the Lakers can't beat us in a seven game series.

Houston isn't as impressive as everyone expected.
Neither is New Orleans.
Bynum is scoring 8.3 ppg.

Is the West really THAT great? I don't think so.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Yes. They are really that great.

SequSpur
11-08-2008, 12:08 AM
what are you drinking?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Um, no. A few other things have changed:

1) looks like Bruce has finally lost a step;
2) the frontcourt is a shadow of its former self;
3) the NBA has gone fast and we are SLOW;
4) the West has vastly improved around us whilst we went backward (NO and the Lakers look pretty good to me).

Gonna be a tough year, face it.

mVp
11-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Whatever...

intlspurshk
11-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I would rather trade useless players for giving some times to develop Farmer, Hill and etc in the mean time and see how the big 3's health in the middle of the regular season.

If big 3 is still not healthy by that time, then SPURS can tank and also trade Oberto/Bowen for some late picks or 2nd picks or some limited talent but young players like Dorrell Wright

timvp
11-08-2008, 12:15 AM
The Spurs need a lot of IFs to become reality to get back to the top of the mountain.

-If the Spurs can survive the current injuries and get a spot in the playoffs.
-If the team can be 100% healthy going into the playoffs.
-If RMJ keeps playing like he's playing.
-If Mahinmi and Tolliver breathe life into the bigman rotation.
-If Hill can become a better than average backup point guard.
-If Pop will never play Finley and limit playing the veterans who are done.
-If Bowen can hold off age one more year and still be a defensive force.
-If the Spurs don't wear themselves out during the regular season.
-If the Spurs stay healthy all playoffs.

If all that happens, I like the Spurs chances. If any of those things don't happen, the Spurs probably can't do it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2008, 12:23 AM
The Spurs need a lot of IFs to become reality to get back to the top of the mountain.

If all that happens, I like the Spurs chances. If any of those things don't happen, the Spurs probably can't do it.

In other words, look toward the future.

No way all of that happens... but if it does, I'll happily eat my words.

Looking at our roster right now makes me a little sick in the stomach. We could be in for more than just a season of bumpy riding, unless a couple of these youngsters pan out and we find a diamond in the draft next year.

mVp
11-08-2008, 12:25 AM

So, we need a fucking miracle lol

ducks
11-08-2008, 12:27 AM
any team that wins it all this year will be healthy in playoffs
period

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2008, 12:31 AM
first team to 50wins guaranteed playoff spot....

spurs aint one of them teams....

SpursDynasty
11-08-2008, 01:29 AM
The West is flat this year. You have LA as a solid (but not great) team and Utah. But then who?

Houston? New Orleans? Dallas? Phoenix? Those 4 teams lost to the Blazers, Bobcats, Nuggets, and Bulls in the last 2 nights. The West is full of very beatable teams. Houston is just being Houston. New Orleans is not the same team we saw last year. Dallas is not the 2006 Dallas. Phoenix is not the 2006 Phoenix. So who's so good in the West? Why will LA be any different than last year? (They won one more regular season game than us and lost in the Finals). Bynum isn't the monster he was supposed to be.

underdawg
11-08-2008, 01:44 AM

Lot of "If's," but not that impossible. Bandwagon fans that are only there for the good times need to go and hide as the Spurs grit out one of their toughest seasons yet. I have too much faith in this organization to count them out yet. Most see failure - I see opportunity. Dog on Pop all you want (I used to hate him,) but he's a pretty damn good coach and the season is up to him to pull the pieces together while we're waiting for Manu and TP to get healthy. It will be his best season as a coach yet. Remember your disgust for the Spurs right now when they're still in it in April and realize that this organization has been special for a long time for a reason.

xtremesteven33
11-08-2008, 02:16 AM
I want to believe i really really do, but this team was bad without Manu already. Now without Tony and Manu we are easily the worst team in the NBA. I know its hard to say that cause of Timmy but all this team really is, are just jumpshooters. Nobody has the great athletic ability to drive and dunk or go for a great layup.

I would not hate Pop at all if he just played Duncan around 20 minutes a game and let the team try and win by themselves. No use playing him 35 minutes a game and end up losing. We got a "hurt" rookie in Hill and a old veteran PG in Vaughn running the Point. And all we have are jumpshooters as the guards and wings. OH MY GOSH......these next few weeks will go down as the most depressing days in the history of the Spurs organization. Unless a miracle happens......

Medvedenko
11-08-2008, 02:25 AM
I love Spurs Dynasty...but Roger Mason Jr is a flash and is getting burn because of the Manu situation. Once Manu is back he'll be regulated to the bench. It's not going to matter.

timvp
11-08-2008, 02:29 AM
I love Spurs Dynasty...but Roger Mason Jr is a flash and is getting burn because of the Manu situation. Once Manu is back he'll be regulated to the bench. It's not going to matter.Fail.

RMJ will start for the rest of the season. Manu comes off the bench.

Medvedenko
11-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Fail.

RMJ will start for the rest of the season. Manu comes off the bench.

Sorry, but RMJ is no saviour and granted he's playing well but it's not going to matter. How's his defense......

underdawg
11-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Sorry, but RMJ is no saviour and granted he's playing well but it's not going to matter. How's his defense......

defense is improving - don't deny he's a pretty dang good jump shooter. Spurs have found another diamond in the rough

Medvedenko
11-08-2008, 02:39 AM
defense is improving - don't deny he's a pretty dang good jump shooter. Spurs have found another diamond in the rough

Mason played well in the past, I won't deny that. He's only highlighted due to injury. He won't be a game changer and come playoff time you'll see the difference. There's no pressure for him right now. The spurs need a talent infusion in the worst way.

timvp
11-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Sorry, but RMJ is no saviour and granted he's playing well but it's not going to matter.Compared to relying on Finley to be the team's fourth leading scorer yet again, I'd say it's safe to classify him as a savior. Without his scoring punch the season would be over.

How's his defense......About as good as Kobe's was at the same age......

xtremesteven33
11-08-2008, 03:03 AM
About as good as Kobe's was at the same age......

ur kidding right?

angelbelow
11-08-2008, 04:03 AM
with all of our guys healthy, and that include hill, thomas, oberto, were a top 4 team.

Manufan909
11-08-2008, 05:05 AM
Hell, they won't all be healthy til around December 18, and by then Tim will be gassed. Unless Pop does what someone said and just doesn't play Tim more than 20-25 minutes a game. Shit, if they need Tony scoring 55 to beat the Wolves, how can they beat ANYONE??? Besides the Knicks, of course.

mrspurs
11-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Maybe this has all been said already but oh well.

We are an .800 team with our big three and Mason. Last year, we didn't have the #4 scoring option in Mason that we have this year, yet we still made it to the WCF's. Better to get our injury bug out of the way early. I'd rather have Manu and Tony out right now, then to get a 59-win season and have them both out at the end of April for injury.

With TD, TP, Manu, and Mason all at 100%, the Lakers can't beat us in a seven game series.

Houston isn't as impressive as everyone expected.
Neither is New Orleans.

Is the West really THAT great? I don't think so.

You dont know that. Dont forget you can only put 5 guys on the court at the sametime. How do you put TP,Roger and Manu on the court at the sametime and plan on making stops? Your not. In todays league the better teams dont have to play small ball. In todays league you shouldnt have to rely on slowing other teams down by fouling them. If your having to come up with gimmicks to win, then your days are numbered in todays league.

mrspurs
11-08-2008, 06:32 AM
We're not completely broken. We just havnt been able to overcome the Scolla misfortune. All we really need is another big and this whole thing changes. And until they get Timmy someone to stand next to. Not even with a healthy TP and Manu were the spurs gonna win it this year. And now we may be even more behind then just a big. We may need another starting big, and another starting SF. The best way out is tanking the season and grabbing the lottery. I can live with trying to get better. I cant live with just watching other teams fly by.

Guajalote
11-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Not to get all Stuart Smalley, but this season does still have to be played. It always comes down to the Clips, Warriors, and Nuggets every year battling for the final spot. If we're anywhere in the mix, and we can be healthy going into the playoffs, that's all we need.

Another silver lining is how Tolliver, RMJ, and to some extent, Hill played last night. Mason is a bonafide 4th scorer. Whether he starts or comes in off the bench, we've now got that option. Seeing Tolliver gain confidence last night was quite nice for me. He's even liking Bruce's spots for the 3 ball. And this is my first real chance to see Hill. I like what I see and now I can see the potential Pop and RC saw in him. Sure he's unpolished, but I like him.

Again, we can make a lot out of this season. If we can hang around the 7th or 8th spot without wearing everybody out like timvp said, I'm thinking we'll be in a nice spot to cause some trouble (health permitting, that is).

Bender
11-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I think I remember Jon Barry on ESPN during the halftime, saying that without Manu AND Tony, the spurs might not win another game...

:lol

:(

m33p0
11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I think I remember Jon Barry on ESPN during the halftime, saying that without Manu AND Tony, the spurs might not win another game...

:lol

:(
jon barry is loving this.

LEONARD
11-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow...SpursDynasty feeling bold and actually posting in the Spurs Forum!! :o

LEONARD
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM

9.2 and climbing...