PDA

View Full Version : I'm Ok With Rebuilding

Jahivah
11-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm alright with rebuilding. But if you are then should you not be playing your young guys and giving them in game experience? What's with signing the old guys, eating up cap space and taking away valuable playing time for the kids?

At this point a trade may help but realistically what are we going to get for the pieces that we have? Nothing that makes a contender.

m33p0
11-08-2008, 02:00 AM
the core is fine. just need an upgrade on the role players which is doable via trade.

Jahivah
11-08-2008, 02:03 AM
We desperately need a big man that can at least play soem d and rebound. We need a starting SF because at this point Manu is just much more effective coming off the bench.

SequSpur
11-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm alright with rebuilding. But if you are then should you not be playing your young guys and giving them in game experience? What's with signing the old guys, eating up cap space and taking away valuable playing time for the kids?

At this point a trade may help but realistically what are we going to get for the pieces that we have? Nothing that makes a contender.

its not just the old guys, it's signing shitty young guys that will never contribute.

benefactor
11-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Good news...Hill, Mason and Tolliver look like they are a good start in getting younger and more energetic.

Bad news...we are still dealing with Finley and Bonner eating up money and roster spots. I think we might be able to dangle Finley for a backup big man to some team that could use a veteran scorer off the bench. The challenge is finding someone dumb enough to take him.

benefactor
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
its not just the old guys, it's signing shitty young guys that will never contribute.
Mason?

SenorSpur
11-08-2008, 09:31 AM
We desperately need a big man that can at least play soem d and rebound. We need a starting SF because at this point Manu is just much more effective coming off the bench.

A backup big and a SF are two deficient areas that I've been touting here for some time. Ideally, I'd love it if the Spurs had both Hairston and Watkins on this roster. At this point, Watkins could do no worse that the limited production we're getting from KT and Oberto. Hairston would instantly become one of the top defenders on this team.

This is all a pipe dream, of course, because the Spurs simply don't have enough roster spots.

benefactor
11-08-2008, 09:35 AM
At this point....Hairston>>>>>>Finley. At least we would get a decent defensive effort out of Hairston.

MaNu4Tres
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
If we are out of the playoff race by the trade deadline, I would love to see R.C and Pop pull the trigger on a deal like Finley or Kurt to the Cavs for a 1st rounder. Something of that nature. Deal our fading veterans to a contender out East for picks.

SenorSpur
11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
If we are out of the playoff race by the trade deadline, I would love to see R.C and Pop pull the trigger on a deal like Finley or Kurt to the Cavs for a 1st rounder. Something of that nature. Deal our fading veterans to a contender out East for picks.

No team in their right mind would take that garbage. What's their incentive? Finley has no trade value. Kurt probably even less. I don't know if Bonner would even warrant getting a 1st round pick in exchange.

MaNu4Tres
11-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Late first round picks have little value. It costed us a first for Kurt not even a year ago.

DROB4EVER
11-08-2008, 11:39 AM
We dont need to rebiuld yet, when Ian comes back and manu and parker are back we will be fine. Some of the younger guys and Mason have played well, just lack experiance. The spurs problems are on D and rebounding.

Make a trade for a big guy like williams from NJ and that will go a long way.

Im not opposed to tanking the season if it means we could get BJ Mullins. That guys is gonna be twice the player Oden will be. DeRozan wouldnt be bad either, he reminds me of D Wade.

cherylsteele
11-08-2008, 01:30 PM
No team in their right mind would take that garbage. What's their incentive? Finley has no trade value. Kurt probably even less. I don't know if Bonner would even warrant getting a 1st round pick in exchange.
Is Isiah Thomas still a GM with the Knicks?

SenorSpur
11-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Is Isiah Thomas still a GM with the Knicks?

Unfortunately no. If he was, I'd say the Spurs, or any other team for that matter, would have an adequate shot at getting David Lee. He's the one guy on that Knick team that I would want first.

Tully365
11-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I think some people are over-reacting!

After their worst start in many years, the Spurs right now are 1 game behind the 7th and 8th spots in the western conference. They are 1-1/2 games behind the 6th spot. All they need to do is stay close, and then Manu, Parker, and Mahinmi will be back. Hill will get valuable playing time, Mason looks good... it's way too early to panic. The next month will make Farmer, Tolliver, and Hill much more experienced players come playoff time... it's a bad break for the Spurs with TP and Manu injured, but it's not the end of the world yet.

duncan228
11-08-2008, 03:06 PM

It's SpursTalk. Over-reacting comes with the territory. :lol

urunobili
11-08-2008, 03:27 PM
the core is fine. just need an upgrade on the role players which is doable via trade.

who would want Bonner's, KT's, Oberto's and Finleay contracts?

Presti is gone so is Pritchard...

SenorSpur
11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
With Manu out through December and now Tony out through the next 2-4 weeks, there is a realistic chance the Spurs would've dug themselves into a deep statistical hole by then. Couple that with the highly competitive field of teams in the Western Conference and you can understand why folks are justifiably concerned. Even when the Spurs get everyone back healthy, they'll need to go on some unprecedented winning streak to make up ground. That's not an overreaction, that is a realistic possibility.

As has been stated earlier, if the Spurs are going to suck, I'd much rather they do so with the young guys, as opposed to uninspired veterans. As Pop said in his post game comments, at least they'll be fun to watch. I can live with those results.

benefactor
11-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately no. If he was, I'd say the Spurs, or any other team for that matter, would have an adequate shot at getting David Lee. He's the one guy on that Knick team that I would want first.
If you think about it...Finley is a D'antoni player all the way. He loves jackers. Finley for David Lee straight up?

Mr. Body
11-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Late first round picks have little value. It costed us a first for Kurt not even a year ago.

We overpaid.

tav1
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Chill Out.

This will get fixed. It may take several weeks, and the Spurs will be in the hole. But they'll play better in time. Patience.

AusSpursFan
11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Chill Out.

This will get fixed. It may take several weeks, and the Spurs will be in the hole. But they'll play better in time. Patience.

I have to disagree, there is a time for optimism and this isn't it. The Spurs have been treading water for too long, we desperately need more depth in the frontcourt, with the other glaring hole being a lack of younger guys with experience, e.g. Detroit, Boston, etc. Apart from Mahinmi, where has the development been? I just don't think we can afford to give the rest of the NBA this much of a headstart and expect that things will be ok once TP and Manu are back. Best possible scenario is a bottom seed in the playoffs.

td4mvp21
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
We shouldn't have to be rebuilding. That's the problem I have with rebuilding.

jjktkk
11-08-2008, 05:28 PM
A backup big and a SF are two deficient areas that I've been touting here for some time. Ideally, I'd love it if the Spurs had both Hairston and Watkins on this roster. At this point, Watkins could do no worse that the limited production we're getting from KT and Oberto. Hairston would instantly become one of the top defenders on this team.

This is all a pipe dream, of course, because the Spurs simply don't have enough roster spots.

Maybe they call up Hairston and send down Farmer.

jjktkk
11-08-2008, 05:35 PM
We shouldn't have to be rebuilding. That's the problem I have with rebuilding.

I wouldn't call it rebuilding, just that 2 of our big 3 are down for awhile. It will be extremly difficult to tread water until Ginoboli and Parker get back. By then the season might be down the tubes. The only positive that comes of this is if the Spurs are in the lottery next year. A lottery pick along with the big 3, as well as Hill, Mason, and Tolliver, etc... would put the Spurs back into a contender next year.

SenorSpur
11-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't call it rebuilding, just that 2 of our big 3 are down for awhile. It will be extremly difficult to tread water until Ginoboli and Parker get back. By then the season might be down the tubes. The only positive that comes of this is if the Spurs are in the lottery next year. A lottery pick along with the big 3, as well as Hill, Mason, and Tolliver, etc... would put the Spurs back into a contender next year.

Agree. With the Big Three on board, this would essentially be a reloading period on the fly. If this year does indeed become our "off year", it's vital that the Spurs cash in on an instantly productive player via the lottery. It doesn't have to be a franchise player, but a young, talented swingman or frontline big that could pay immediate dividends.

tlongII
11-08-2008, 06:26 PM

That has proven to be a very bad decision.

Go For Tree
11-08-2008, 08:09 PM

After their worst start in many years, the Spurs right now are 1 game behind the 7th and 8th spots in the western conference. They are 1-1/2 games behind the 6th spot. All they need to do is stay close, and then Manu, Parker, and Mahinmi will be back. Hill will get valuable playing time, Mason looks good... it's way too early to panic. The next month will make Farmer, Tolliver, and Hill much more experienced players come playoff time... it's a bad break for the Spurs with TP and Manu injured, but it's not the end of the world yet.

thank you! finally a post on this thread that means something. theres a reason the trophy is handed out in june! most of you in here just have a below average basketball iq and its making you panic. chill out. if you understand the game i would think most spurs fans would be eager to see this team gel. where they are weak is all correctable. its getting the new guys to understand pops concept of team defense that will come the more they play. we know this team can score. offensively the spurs are much better off than you should have expected, given the circumstances. they dont have to worry about finding guys to know how to put the ball in the hole. the more i see hill on the floor the more i feel he is truly a steal in the last draft. the guy can flat out play ball, and he gets to learn more by some of the best. the more roger mason plays makes me happy we saved so much money by not signing maggette. for some "fans" to look at the spurs as rebuilding!!!! its never rebuilding when you still a have a big three on the roster. injuries happen. and if the spurs have to deal with them, this is the time of the year you would want them too. that is all..................
:lobt2::lobt2::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag: :flag::flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2:

johngateswhiteley
11-08-2008, 08:12 PM
the stupidity continues...you guys are fucking retarded.

AusSpursFan
11-08-2008, 08:34 PM
thank you! finally a post on this thread that means something. theres a reason the trophy is handed out in june! most of you in here just have a below average basketball iq and its making you panic. chill out. if you understand the game i would think most spurs fans would be eager to see this team gel. where they are weak is all correctable. its getting the new guys to understand pops concept of team defense that will come the more they play. we know this team can score. offensively the spurs are much better off than you should have expected, given the circumstances. they dont have to worry about finding guys to know how to put the ball in the hole. the more i see hill on the floor the more i feel he is truly a steal in the last draft. the guy can flat out play ball, and he gets to learn more by some of the best. the more roger mason plays makes me happy we saved so much money by not signing maggette. for some "fans" to look at the spurs as rebuilding!!!! its never rebuilding when you still a have a big three on the roster. injuries happen. and if the spurs have to deal with them, this is the time of the year you would want them too. that is all..................
:lobt2::lobt2::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag: :flag::flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2:

The low bball iq lies with you buddy, sure the Spurs may bounce back with the big 3 healthy, but there is a glaring deficiency being demonstrated at the moment. There is a lack of contribution outside of the big 3, only exception being Mason Jnr.

A.H 21-50
11-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I Know the spurs wouldn't have a lottery pick but our 2009 pick wasn't traded to the sonics in KT deal

or maybe he's protected ??

Go For Tree
11-08-2008, 08:53 PM
The low bball iq lies with you buddy, sure the Spurs may bounce back with the big 3 healthy, but there is a glaring deficiency being demonstrated at the moment. There is a lack of contribution outside of the big 3, only exception being Mason Jnr.

first of all. dont sound so defensive. i didnt mention anyone in particular with a low bball iq so why assume i was refering to you? pm me and ill sell you a pill that will make that certain part of yours bigger. (yes i am still talking about bball iq) lol. anyway there hasnt been a big three yet this year so your points cant be valid until we see everyones roles when the big three are back. even with that said, mason has played like an allstar so far this year, so i dont want to belittle his performance by saying hes just "contributing".... ime has played well and so has hill. both of which will play even better when they are more comfortable with a more set rotation. still we have ian coming back soon which will help defensivley more than anything and once our guys start boxing-out we will stop giving up so many second chance points. what do you expect? do you want roster spots from 1-15 to be filled by all pros? be realistic. if you want nothing but stars go play nba live 09 and create your own team. there is a ton of talent on this team. were not even ten games in and listen to yourself aus!!! you are the definition of overreaction right now. that is all......

m33p0
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
who would want Bonner's, KT's, Oberto's and Finleay contracts?

Presti is gone so is Pritchard...
actually doing it is the one snag on that plan. :bang
but if these guys WERE tradable(meaning, they actually have some value to the team's success instead of being deadweights), we wouldn't want to trade them away anyway unless we're getting a legitimate upgrade.

cherylsteele
11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I have been holding out hope for Bonner, early last year before he got hurt I felt he was actually playing pretty well, with hitting shots and overall hustle. Since then, I just do see it and he seems to be regressing badly. I don't want to panick but I would not be upset with tweaking the lineup and roster. It is still early in the season and now is the time to do it. Don't wait until the trade deadline and try to rush to work a new player in at the last minute.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Good team defense doesn't require outstanding athletic ability; it takes practice, effort and knowledge of what your teammates are doing. Rebounding doesn't require oustanding ability, either. The Spurs could start doing both as soon as the next game, and all the panic will suddenly disappear.

jjktkk
11-09-2008, 07:23 PM
If you think about it...Finley is a D'antoni player all the way. He loves jackers. Finley for David Lee straight up?

You need to lay off the sauce. Seriously.

jjktkk
11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
first of all. dont sound so defensive. i didnt mention anyone in particular with a low bball iq so why assume i was refering to you? pm me and ill sell you a pill that will make that certain part of yours bigger. (yes i am still talking about bball iq) lol. anyway there hasnt been a big three yet this year so your points cant be valid until we see everyones roles when the big three are back. even with that said, mason has played like an allstar so far this year, so i dont want to belittle his performance by saying hes just "contributing".... ime has played well and so has hill. both of which will play even better when they are more comfortable with a more set rotation. still we have ian coming back soon which will help defensivley more than anything and once our guys start boxing-out we will stop giving up so many second chance points. what do you expect? do you want roster spots from 1-15 to be filled by all pros? be realistic. if you want nothing but stars go play nba live 09 and create your own team. there is a ton of talent on this team. were not even ten games in and listen to yourself aus!!! you are the definition of overreaction right now. that is all......

Okay mr. high basketball IQ, its really simple. If the Spurs are gonna be without Ginoboli and parker for an significant amount of time, the Spurs will be in trouble. They will improve defensively somewhat, but without Ginoboli's and Parker's offense, the Spurs will have a hard time scoring the basketball. The Western conference is extremly tough, as I'm sure you know. The chances or %'s are not with the Spurs this year. I hope I can be proved wrong.

benefactor
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
You need to lay off the sauce. Seriously.
You need to learn to recognize sarcasm. Seriously.

jjktkk
11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
You need to learn to recognize sarcasm. Seriously.

I was joking rugged forward. Relax, don't get your undergarments in a bind.