PDA

View Full Version : From college to 100K a year!

Good 'N Plenty
11-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I picked the wrong damn major!! Petroleum enginnering is where it's at.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/839618.html

Hot jobs: Demand, pay is high for the right skills
By ERIC ADLER
The Kansas City Star
It’s often said someone makes money even in a bad economy.

Cody Bass just didn’t know how much.

“A hundred thousand dollars,” the 22-year-old college senior said.

That’s the annual salary that Bass — who is still a semester away from receiving his bachelor’s degree from the Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla — is to be paid for his first job out of college.

That, he said, doesn’t even include the $7,500 he’ll be given in moving expenses. Or the $20,000 he’s getting upfront as an early signing bonus. Or the $25,000 “impact bonuses” he said he was told to expect for each of the first two years he is on the job.

Total package for his first real job: $145,000-plus.

“I was shocked,” Bass said. “We grew up very modest. When I was growing up, my dad probably didn’t make much more than $30,000 a year teaching in Oklahoma. I feel bad for everyone having such a hard time.”

But such are the rewards of picking the right college major even in these shaky economic times.

For Bass, that is petroleum engineering, a job for which starting salaries in the expanding business now average $85,000 to $95,000, with offers often coming a year or more before the end of college.

“It’s phenomenal,” said Rolla petroleum engineering professor Shari Dunn-Norman. “These are kids.”

Yet Bass is hardly alone.

Whereas workers in some industries are being laid off by the thousands, in others — such as engineering, accounting, nursing, pharmacy and, as the cost of shipping by truck has risen, railroads — the watchword is “hired,” not “fired,” as new employees are being promised high-paying jobs sometimes more than a year before graduation.

Of course, many of the jobs have their perceived downsides, which range from long hours to boredom to weeks and, in some cases, months spent traveling. But the financial incentives can be great.

The guy will probably make over $200k at about 28 if he gets 5% raise every year without even getting the promotion.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
my BS of Finance got me nothing, I'm currently unemployed

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
my BS of Finance got me nothing, I'm currently unemployed

lmao, same position as you man

BS of business (accounting) is eating dusts, fkn....

ps. most engineering jobs salarys are 100k anyway which involves you shitting somewhere in the middle of nowhere....

johnsmith
11-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I picked the wrong damn major!! Petroleum enginnering is where it's at.

Yeah, I can't believe your associates degree in Western Civilization Self Defense Techniques isn't paying off more for you.

Good 'N Plenty
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I can't believe your associates degree in Western Civilization Self Defense Techniques isn't paying off more for you.

You don't know me so STFU.

ashbeeigh
11-08-2008, 12:01 PM
BA in Psychology and I'm in a never ending revolving door of "grant funded" positions. :madrun

Fingers crossed I get the job I'm interviewing for Monday!

johnsmith
11-08-2008, 09:28 PM
You don't know me so STFU.

No thank you, I think I'll just continue making assumptions about you being a douche bag....................but seriously, you sort of brought in on yourself in the creditreport.com thread.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
100k salary? barack obama looms....

lefty
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
IT pays well too

CubanMustGo
11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
100k salary? barack obama looms....

More like stupidity looms.

Fillmoe
11-08-2008, 10:04 PM
The problem with you folks IS YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
This just in... if you get a degree in a field that requires significant specialized expertise, you're going to get paid more.

Destro
11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
remember that where you get your degree from matters about as much as what you got your degree in. A UT grad will trump a UTSA grad any day. YOU also ned to be willing to move out of SA for a year or two to quickly advance your career. A move to Houston or Dallas will get you a quick job paying more than SA. You'll have to live in Houston for a year or two but it isn't so bad to be a young professional in Houston.

Bender
11-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Lebron...straight from high school to.... what, 14 mill... ?

Extra Stout
11-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, young petroleum engineers can get that kind of money. The downside is that in exchange for that money, they get to spend months at a time working 16-hour days someplace very cold, very hot, hovering above salt water, or in Nigeria.

Blake
11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I had a couple of friends go through the petroleum engineering program at Texas Tech.

It seems to me it was a masters program......

and yes, they had to both move to Houston, but yes they are both doing extreeeemely well.

Blake
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
A UT grad will trump a UTSA grad any day.

unless your employer is a diehard Longhorn, that's a bunch of bull.

RandomGuy
11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
unless your employer is a diehard Longhorn, that's a bunch of bull.

Specific college matters less after 5 years than job performance.

A good name school will get you in the door for an interview, but won't get you the job.

RandomGuy
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, young petroleum engineers can get that kind of money. The downside is that in exchange for that money, they get to spend months at a time working 16-hour days someplace very cold, very hot, hovering above salt water, or in Nigeria.

Stay far away from Nigeria.

Hell, they are even killing Chinese there. China's emergence onto the world stage includes a lot of ignorance about country risk, as some of their more unfortunate petroleum engineers have recently found out.