PDA

View Full Version : Would we rather have a big three or one star and a bunch of role players?

SpursDynasty
11-08-2008, 06:37 PM
We need to ask ourselves what we'd rather have. One superstar scorer + a bunch of solid role players (example: Lakers), or three legitimate game controllers + only one or two solid role players (the Spurs come December).

I don't see any other team in the league that has a true big three like ours. Most teams have one main man and a bunch of role players. Not even Boston has a big three. They have a big two plus Ray Allen.

Would we be willing to part with Manu Ginobili for two solid role players? Or TP for two solid role players?

Each one of our big three is worth two solid role players plus one scrub in a trade. I'd rather wait till December and have our three plus a solid #4 scoring option in Mason.

Until then, quit your whining everybody, please!

Josepatches
11-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I will trade TP for 2 or 3 good players.We could get better role players for him than for Manu.

Devin Harris,Josh Boone,Bobby Simmons
Or Miller,Iguodala
or Calderon,Jermaine O'Neal
or Brandon Roy,Aldridge.........

kace
11-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Garnet: 24,75 M , Pierce: 18,1 M Allen : 17,4 M = 60, 25 M

Bryant: 21,2 M , Gasol: 15 M , Odom: 11,4 M = 47,6 M

O'Neal: 20 M , Stoudemire: 15,1 , Nash : 12,3 = 47,4 M

Kidd: 21.4 , Dirk: 18.1 , Howard : 9.9 = 49.4 M

T-Mac: 21.1 , Yao: 15.1 , Artest: 8.5 = 44.7 M

AI: 21.9 , Sheed: 13.7 , Hamilton: 10.6 = 46.2 M

Duncan: 20, 6 M , TP: 11, 6 M , Manu : 9, 9 M = 42,1 M

Our best player (tim) is as good as anyone other franchise player.
Our best duo (tim + tony for me, or tim + manu for others) is as good as any other one. (even if boston, LA and Houston's one is really good)
Same thing for our big three.
And in each case (1, 2 or 3 players combo), we're the less expensive and by far the most experienced in winning.

We should be able to be fine with our big three. We still have room to have good players around them despite our fiscal cautiousness. if not, it's a FO fail.

mrspurs
11-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Well one thing is for sure this is a young mans game. So Im taking Tony and running with him. TD and Manu dont have as much left as TP. So it would be easier to build around TP if your gonna start building. You dont build around TD and Manu anymore. You support the heck out of them. You dont let them make mistakes that cost them shorter careers. And its already proven who can score the most when the big 3 are separate from each other.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2008, 08:29 PM
The mistake has not been keeping the big 3 together, it has been waiting for 2010 to spend any money. If we had spent the full MLE last season and this season, drafted with more purpose (ie. a SF who could stick), and not re-upped Finley, we wouldn't be in this hole.

I wouldn't trade any of the big 3: we have TP until 2011 and Tim until 2012 (which is when he will retire is my bet), but Manu expires after next season, so my hope is to resign Manu to something reasonable over 2 years, and re-tool with the rest of the money.

We're committed to 2010, and changing course right now would be a disaster, so you do the best you can until then (ie. play the youngsters and work out a way to get rid of Finley, and maybe KT if he continues to struggle), and re-tool at that time.

The one thing you do NOT do is trade Tony Parker, Tim Duncan or Manu Ginobili (unless you get a ridiculous offer for Manu - he is the only slightly tradeable guy because of age and health, although I think he'd make us regret it).

peskypesky
11-08-2008, 08:43 PM
It's not our roster that's the problem. It's injuries. Plain and simple.

thOOdee
11-08-2008, 08:57 PM
i wouldn't trade any of the big three and think we currently have the best deal from other teams. However i think nba teams and those big markets are now evolving to a "big four" or big major role players. lakers, for instance you can argue bynum( i would say its odom though). rockets shane or scole. celtics have rajon. Pistons have PRINCE. Our FO has taken are big 3 for granted for awhile now and yes they were able to carry the spurs but its time to step it up and spend some money. San antonio and ESPECIALLY our big 3 deserve it (mostly duncan). This should have been planned a little more instead of banking on some under the radar draft picks(tiago and mahimni)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2008, 09:29 PM
It's not our roster that's the problem. It's injuries. Plain and simple.

I wish I could agree with that, but I don't. Our roster IS the problem - we are slow and unathletic at the frontcourt positions, and 3 guys (Finley, KT, BB) we have to rely upon are showing their age.

The youth we have shows some promise (Hill primarily, and we all have hope for Mahinmi), but we have no athletes at the 3 and that kills us night in night out. Mason isn't counted as youth because he's 28, and Ime is 31.

On top of that, we have far too much dead weight - particularly Bonner, maybe Fab as well (although I'll give him a couple of months to get back into it).

In short, we are up shit creek without a paddle.

ducks
11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
tp is just entering his prime
he is already a superstar
superstars win finals mvps
not role players or stars

Solid D
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Spurs fans will be able to sample each choice now and see which one works better.

Right now, the Spurs have 1 star and some role players. Quoth ye olde addage, "It iseth what it iseth."

ducks
11-08-2008, 10:33 PM
spurs have a superstar
and some players needing experience

m33p0
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
the core is fine.

rascal
11-09-2008, 01:01 AM
I wish I could agree with that, but I don't. Our roster IS the problem - we are slow and unathletic at the frontcourt positions, and 3 guys (Finley, KT, BB) we have to rely upon are showing their age.

The youth we have shows some promise (Hill primarily, and we all have hope for Mahinmi), but we have no athletes at the 3 and that kills us night in night out. Mason isn't counted as youth because he's 28, and Ime is 31.

On top of that, we have far too much dead weight - particularly Bonner, maybe Fab as well (although I'll give him a couple of months to get back into it).

In short, we are up shit creek without a paddle.

I agree with the dead weight part. Too many players are now put into the rotation that as a group are well below average by nba standards is what is bringing this team down. Finley Bonner Thomas Bowen and Oberto. Those guys won't be winning many games if they are relied on for rotation minutes.

LEONARD
11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
We need to ask ourselves what we'd rather have. One superstar scorer + a bunch of solid role players (example: Lakers), or three legitimate game controllers + only one or two solid role players (the Spurs come December).

I don't see any other team in the league that has a true big three like ours. Most teams have one main man and a bunch of role players. Not even Boston has a big three. They have a big two plus Ray Allen.

Would we be willing to part with Manu Ginobili for two solid role players? Or TP for two solid role players?

Each one of our big three is worth two solid role players plus one scrub in a trade. I'd rather wait till December and have our three plus a solid #4 scoring option in Mason.

Until then, quit your whining everybody, please!

Interesting thread...I'm going to have to ponder this and get back to you...

exstatic
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Spurs fans will be able to sample each choice now and see which one works better.

Right now, the Spurs have 1 star and some role players. Quoth ye olde addage, "It iseth what it iseth."

You beat me to it.