PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: What Made Spurs Ruins Them Today

duncan228
11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
What made Spurs ruins them today (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/What_made_Spurs_ruins_them_today.html)
Buck Harvey

Blame it on bad luck. Blame it on bad personnel decisions.

Blame it on Bruce Bowen and Michael Finley entering their golden years. Blame it on the bronze medal.

Blame it on the beard, too, if you wish.

But also blame it on the Spurs' philosophy.

This happens to be the same philosophy that made them champions.

Right now, none of the blame matters. The Spurs have trouble scoring, and they have trouble stopping others from scoring, and that's a combination once unthinkable with a healthy Tim Duncan on the floor.

Then Duncan sits, and unthinkable becomes unbelievable. The Spurs' lineup at times on Friday night became precisely what Jeff Van Gundy said it was while announcing for ESPN.

Then, as if Walter Berry were back in town, Van Gundy said those Spurs on the floor represented the least talent of any group in the league.

Any NBA team that loses two all-star level players will suffer, and then there are the other injuries that have stopped the Spurs from building cohesion. All of these broken parts add up — Kurt Thomas' hamstring, Fab Oberto's heartbeat, George Hill's thumb, Ian Mahinmi's ankle and Finley's jumper.

Still, the Spurs aren't just struggling, and this isn't just about injuries. This is about the Spurs' philosophy.

Once they found their three stars, they chose to build everything to fit around them. Gregg Popovich valued intelligence and personality in his locker room, and the Spurs' staff searched for players who paid attention and listened to detail.

The Spurs weren't averse to talent. They just believed chemistry mattered above all else in their supporting cast.

It's worked well enough to sometimes beat those who jumped higher and scored more easily. Last spring, with Manu Ginobili already limping, the Spurs didn't edge the Hornets on the road in a Game 7 because they were physically superior.

The Spurs have ended up with this shallow talent pool sometimes out of necessity. Drafting low in the first round, with Peter Holt's payroll needing to stay under the luxury tax, the Spurs have had to find bargains.

Sometimes, too, they've made the right moves, only to have them backfire. Tiago Splitter, for example, is a 7-footer who would help the Spurs' defense, and the rising Euro lured him to stay overseas.

But sometimes the Spurs have passed up talent because they wondered if it would fit their exact puzzle. They wondered, for example, if Luis Scola would be a good partner for Duncan, since Scola is more of a scorer than a defender.

Anyone who has seen Scola in Houston knows that, yes, he could play next to Duncan. Today, Scola could play 40 minutes next to Duncan.

The Spurs, trying to duplicate what worked before, gave a lot of money to Matt Bonner. They thought Bonner, like Robert Horry, could shoot threes and extend a defense. Bonner, unlike Horry, strains to do anything else.

They rewarded Bowen with a 3-year deal, when others would have been hesitant given his age, because he represented the ultimate example of chemistry. Powerful in his role with the Spurs, he might not have played for other teams.

The Spurs have always loved Finley's professionalism, and they saw something similar in the collegiate profile of Hill. Ime Udoka was made to be a Spurs piece under Popovich, and then there's the bright spot of this early season.

Roger Mason Jr., with versatility that allows him to blend and make shots, looks like a steal.

With a healthy Ginobili and Tony Parker, Mason would be an ideal complement. But with those currently in uniform, Mason is not enough.

That's the status of this roster of role players. They made sense because they fit — individually, they are not enough.

They will look awful again, and they will struggle to win even a few games in the next weeks. If Ginobili and Parker can't find their form fast enough when they return, the Spurs will be in the lottery.

Then?

The Spurs' philosophy will be tested again.

lefty
11-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Harvey useless as always

xtremesteven33
11-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I dont mean to sound rude at all but why does he always point out the obvious??

m33p0
11-08-2008, 11:31 PM
:depressed

Oink Oink
11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Any NBA team that loses two all-star level players will suffer, and then there are the other injuries that have stopped the Spurs from building cohesion. All of these broken parts add up — Kurt Thomas' hamstring, Fab Oberto's heartbeat, George Hill's thumb, Ian Mahinmi's ankle and Finley's jumper.
:rollin:rollin

Amuseddaysleeper
11-08-2008, 11:36 PM
:tu

cool hand
11-08-2008, 11:59 PM
blame it on cheapskates in the front office.

wisnub
11-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Finleys jumper :rollin

I also hate to say it, Harvey is garbage but what he tells this time is true. If the 2009 draft is deep just like this year perhaps losing is a great idea to add future young star from lottery pick...I mean Heat got Beasley and last time I checked, the kid definitely can score and perhaps more on D.
I mean..guys..thats how we got Duncan, when D Rob was down..then we got lucky. Lottery pick will be nice,but I guess many of you will disagree. I give up hope to get something from free agency..cause Spurs is either lack money or luck. I do not know how Rockets can fit budget for TMac,Yao,Artest,Battier plus they also bought Scola's contract which Spurs think was too much..I should not mention Dallas (they got bunch of people with heavy payroll right there) or Celtics. Just in case 2009 draft is deep...there is nothing wrong with hoping.

wisnub
11-09-2008, 12:08 AM

:danceclub

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Buck Harvey Spurstalk Redux Column #193,205.

timvp
11-09-2008, 01:57 AM

:lol No kidding.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109183

Blame it on bad personnel decisions. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103083)

Blame it on Bruce Bowen (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109182)

and Michael Finley entering their golden years. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109174)

Blame it on the bronze medal. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109142)

Blame it on the beard, too, if you wish. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109156)

DannyT
11-09-2008, 01:57 AM

He sure does....:ihit

VaSpursFan
11-09-2008, 02:05 AM

+1, he's lurking here somewhere:downspin::downspin::downspin:

Avitus1
11-09-2008, 02:13 AM

Probably has nothing better to write about.

Avitus1
11-09-2008, 02:15 AM

http://wotnochads.com/chads/kilroy-was-here.jpg
Buck Harvey was here...

SenorSpur
11-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Chemistry is a wonderful intangible. Championships cannot be won without it. However, it does not score points, block shots or rebound. It does take talent to win too - even among role players.

mrspurs
11-09-2008, 07:13 AM

+1

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Undoubtedly.

However, for those who don't read the forum, not a bad summary of events. :tu

Buck is no great writer, but give the guy a break.

Real Tomato Ketchup
11-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Undoubtedly.

However, for those who don't read the forum, not a bad summary of events. :tu

Buck is no great writer, but give the guy a break.

You really couldn't be more wrong.

Mr. Body
11-09-2008, 08:25 AM
The front office at some point decided to go the "No Talent" direction. Trading Luis Scola for NADA. What the ever-living fuck?

Indazone
11-09-2008, 10:06 AM
yeah this writer is full of it. Everyone has the same amount to spend to stay under the cap.

The Truth #6
11-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I never understand the Harvey hate. I'm not sure what people expect. He's writing for a general audience but I'll agree that his points have been covered here before. With as many posters here, that's not surprising.

However, I did find the Berry comment amusing. This is totally 1988 all over again with the results we're seeing. The Spurs would be lucky to have the Walter Berry of old on the team right now. They could probably use his scoring.

SenorSpur
11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I never understand the Harvey hate. I'm not sure what people expect. He's writing for a general audience but I'll agree that his points have been covered here before. With as many posters here, that's not surprising.

However, I did find the Berry comment amusing. This is totally 1988 all over again with the results we're seeing. The Spurs would be lucky to have the Walter Berry of old on the team right now. They could probably use his scoring.

True dat on all points. :tu

One thing Walter Berry could do was score the basketball.

As for Harvey, he's a lightening rod and may be rehashing a bit, but it aint like he's lying.

Chucho
11-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Harvey isn't a bad writer. I've read a few of his guest columns on the Rangers in the Dallas paper before and you'd think it was written by someone other than the Buck. The Express News forces many writers to dumb down their style to accommodate the general audience's reading level, which in San Antonio is fairly low compared to other large cities across the Nation. So if you don't dig his writing style, think its too simplistic and stilted, then blame the 100,000+ dropouts in the area for keeping San Antonio stupid.

Back on topic, the Buck is totally rehashing here and in a few months when the ship is righted, he will hit his readers with a column titled; "What made the Spurs makes them today."

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Lots of sports teams have forums. The hate on Buck comes from the fact that about 99% of his articles on the team appear to be nothing more than articles summarizing discussions had here.

And this isn't some thing where because we talk about everything that we've touched every topic there is to talk about the Spurs, it's because his articles on topics being discussed here seem to pop up within a week of what we're discussing.

hater
11-09-2008, 12:49 PM
this is where the Scola fuckup comes back to bite us

polandprzem
11-09-2008, 12:57 PM
You can blame it on polandprzem

mrspurs
11-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Harvey isn't a bad writer. I've read a few of his guest columns on the Rangers in the Dallas paper before and you'd think it was written by someone other than the Buck. The Express News forces many writers to dumb down their style to accommodate the general audience's reading level, which in San Antonio is fairly low compared to other large cities across the Nation. So if you don't dig his writing style, think its too simplistic and stilted, then blame the 100,000+ dropouts in the area for keeping San Antonio stupid.

Back on topic, the Buck is totally rehashing here and in a few months when the ship is righted, he will hit his readers with a column titled; "What made the Spurs makes them today."

Buck and you have something in common. Waste of Space.

Tully365
11-09-2008, 02:18 PM
It's not exactly news to seasoned basketball fans that when a team starts a season with their all-star shooting guard injured, their starting center injured, their young back up big man injured, their young back up point guard injured, their new combo forward returning from his mother's funeral, and then their starting all-star point guard getting injured, that there will be some tough times which will require some perseverance.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Lots of sports teams have forums. The hate on Buck comes from the fact that about 99% of his articles on the team appear to be nothing more than articles summarizing discussions had here.

I hate to burst your bubble, AH, but sports opinions aren't exactly rocket science; any truly original observation someone has about the Spurs is probably going to have been discussed here as well; there just aren't that many opinions to have. Since his job is to write articles for lots of people that probably do NOT have access to this site, what's the harm in expanding on points we bring up here, anyway?

And if he is reading posts from here, be glad he's filtering out the sludge first. :lol

wisnub
11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
this is where the Scola fuckup comes back to bite us

Yes..as long as Front Office still a cheap ass..Spurs can say goodbye to another championship. When I see how other teams try to upgrade their team, I came to realize that Spurs is definitely doing what Mccain did against Obama campaign. Just keep doing what he was doing, believe Republican will win for the 3rd time, ignore change that happen around the league..and keep saying affirming to themselves that we were champions. As any investment prospectus said: past result did not guarantee future performance. Its just another stupidity after another from Spurs organization, they should focus on lottery pick..

ploto
11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I will never understand why they took the $15M they saved in the Rasho trade and gave $10M of it to Bonner, especially when it would have cost the same or less to sign Scola.

Then, they traded Scola for nothing to get rid of Butler's contract and traded Beno for nothing, as well. It is not as if they had no assets.

If Finley were getting the vets' minimum and being a mentor, he would be fine. Instead he got a higher amount and starts.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually they had to grind every last bit of worth out of Beno in order to have to pay to give him away.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Exactly.

You really couldn't be more wrong.

So it is a poor summary of events but Buck IS a great writer who doesn't deserve a break? :rolleyes Tool.

Buck and you have something in common. Waste of Space.

:lmao

Pot and kettle mean anything to you, Mrs Purs?