PDA

View Full Version : MRI confirms Spurs’ Parker out 2-4 weeks

TMTTRIO
11-08-2008, 11:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-parkerinjury110808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MRI confirms Spurs’ Parker out 2-4 weeks

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 11 minutes ago

San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/) point guard Tony Parker (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3527/) is expected to miss the next two to four weeks after an MRI confirmed the team’s initial diagnosis of a moderate ankle sprain, team officials said Saturday.
Parker hurt his left ankle on a drive to the basket in the first quarter of the Spurs’ loss to the Miami Heat (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mia/) on Friday. X-rays taken at the arena were negative and Parker underwent the MRI on Saturday.
Parker’s injury leaves the Spurs without two of their top three stars. Manu Ginobili (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3380/) has yet to play after undergoing surgery on his left ankle during the summer, though team officials are cautiously optimistic he could return sometime before the end of November.
The Spurs, who have lost four of their first five games for the first time since 1996, could start rookie George Hill (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4488/) at point guard for Tuesday’s game against the New York Knicks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/).

Hmm interesting that they're saying now that Manu may possibly be ready to play before the end of November when originally it was going to be mid December.

xtremesteven33
11-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Good news for Manu! :tu

I know they will make the right choice on him and play him limited minutes if he decides to come back a little earlier.....

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Starting Hill?......That will certainly hasten his development. It will be good for him.

ss1986v2
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Starting Hill?......That will certainly hasten his development. It will be good for him.
thats the one upside to all of this injury business: both mason and hill having to sink or swim. so far mason is floating. lets hope hill bobs up to the top too.

SynicFan
11-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Tough luck for the Spurs.
Hey, injuries are part of the game.
eh whatcha gonna do?

mVp
11-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Well... two to four weeks aren't that bad after all...

We’ll be just fine. Believe.

himat
11-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Was watching some youtube videos and I came across this video.:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3Z46t3xY8&NR=1

SynicFan
11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Well... two to four weeks aren't that bad after all...

We’ll be just fine. Believe.

but is there anything you can REALLY do?.....

benefactor
11-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Good news. Everyone can step away from the cliff now. I just hope they are being realistic about Manu and not pushing the panic button because of our bad start.

timtonymanu
11-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Go George Hill! It's your time to shine, buddy!

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2008, 12:27 AM
lets see george hill can do with starters minutes...chalmers stats or better?>

timvp
11-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Props to Ludden for getting the news early.

I still think 2-4 week means 4-5 weeks with Pop at the helm. And I doubt that Pop would let Manu back before sometime in December but if the Spurs are circling the drain, there might not be another option.

honestfool84
11-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Tough luck for the Spurs.
Hey, injuries are part of the game.
eh whatcha gonna do?

says the fan who never gets to see his team play with a full roster.

Slippy
11-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Well that's a relief it's nothing more serious than a ankle sprain.

Great news on Manu. He must be progressing well. "Cautiously optimistic" almost sounds hopeful like their fans.

Manufan909
11-09-2008, 04:23 AM
but is there anything you can REALLY do?.....

Fuck yeah, man. I know now what beig a Rockets fan the last couple of years truly means. I'd love to see Manu before December, but he better be 95%, I don't want him hurt again. And I'd rather have Mason, Ime, and Farmer to be forcefed minutes, unless they shatter under the pressure.

mattyc
11-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Start Hill and hope he flourishes. Has to happen.

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Ludden kills the EN again

Good news about Manu and I hope it's 2 weeks for TP

Indazone
11-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Why rush Manu back? He might reinjure himself. It's actually better to get the high draft pics I think.

Indazone
11-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I would just play Hill. Trial by fire. If he flouishes and takes the Spurs to the playoffs, fine. If not, then that's good too.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree. Time for heavy doses of Hill, Mason, Farmer, Tolliver, and when he gets back, Mahinmi. Time to find out if these guys can play on both ends, with and without Timmy. Then you plug Parker and Manu back in as they get healthy. I'd love to see Hairston brought in for defensive purposes if someone washes out.

Putting all the veterans on an "earn your minutes back with effort" diet would be a good idea, too.

benefactor
11-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree. Time for heavy doses of Hill, Mason, Farmer, Tolliver, and when he gets back, Mahinmi. Time to find out if these guys can play on both ends, with and without Timmy. Then you plug Parker and Manu back in as they get healthy. I'd love to see Hairston brought in for defensive purposes if someone washes out.

Putting all the veterans on an "earn your minutes back with effort" diet would be a good idea, too.
I'm guessing it goes unspoken whose name is at the top of this list....

SynicFan
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Fuck yeah, man. I know now what beig a Rockets fan the last couple of years truly means. I'd love to see Manu before December, but he better be 95%, I don't want him hurt again. And I'd rather have Mason, Ime, and Farmer to be forcefed minutes, unless they shatter under the pressure.

bring him back ASAP. the team needs him. yeah. thats right. play hurt. even if it means he jeopardizes his future. do it for the Spurs fans!

Chucho
11-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Why rush Manu back? He might reinjure himself. It's actually better to get the high draft pics I think.

The Spurs won't be drafting high anytime soon. We are talking about the first two freakin months of the season and the ever opportunistic fans of the FCOT (Fake Contenders of Texas) are swarming over the Spurs like vultures trying to pick at our bones. The way people are talking you'd think the playoffs started tomorrow and the Spurs were ten games out of 8th seed.But it's not even the middle of November and the Spurs most dimensional players could both be returning in a few weeks time, with about five months and 65 games to play, and even then the Spurs could be 1-15 and every GM in the West would still fear us when fully manned. Don't worry about us, a guaranteed winner.

Rockets fans should worry about the incredible imminence of Chow Meins yearly leg break. It's already bad enough the guys is as soft as a rice patty, but he's more fragile than a 2 cent chop stick. Then the Rockets will look good without him, get the four or five seed, have whatever team they are playing on the brink of elimination, then Tracy McGrady, with all the inability in the world to win, will cry, men around the world will laugh, sportscasters will say, "better luck next year" and we will be here this same time, next year as the Rockets will have come full circle. Again. Poor health is the Rockets nick name, its like its that team is stuck in a bad sequel that never ends. But hey, I understand why Rockets fans attack us, because if they had been 1/25th as successful as the Spurs this decade they MIGHT have made it out of the first round ONCE. "Enjoy the nice regular season, hate the post season!" That should be the Rockets mantra.

SynicFan
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Rockets fans should worry about the incredible imminence of Chow Meins yearly leg break. It's already bad enough the guys is as soft as a rice patty, but he's more fragile than a 2 cent chop stick. Then the Rockets will look good without him, get the four or five seed, have whatever team they are playing on the brink of elimination, then Tracy McGrady, with all the inability in the world to win, will cry, men around the world will laugh, sportscasters will say, "better luck next year" and we will be here this same time, next year as the Rockets will have come full circle. Again. Poor health is the Rockets nick name, its like its that team is stuck in a bad sequel that never ends. But hey, I understand why Rockets fans attack us, because if they had been 1/25th as successful as the Spurs this decade they MIGHT have made it out of the first round ONCE. "Enjoy the nice regular season, hate the post season!" That should be the Rockets mantra.

Well said Tim-is-greater-than-a-cartoon-character.
No one can argue with the facts.

hater
11-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Tony is not coming back in less than 4 weeks. which is good because Manu is coming back at the same time.

Indazone
11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
The Spurs won't be drafting high anytime soon. We are talking about the first two freakin months of the season and the ever opportunistic fans of the FCOT (Fake Contenders of Texas) are swarming over the Spurs like vultures trying to pick at our bones. The way people are talking you'd think the playoffs started tomorrow and the Spurs were ten games out of 8th seed.But it's not even the middle of November and the Spurs most dimensional players could both be returning in a few weeks time, with about five months and 65 games to play, and even then the Spurs could be 1-15 and every GM in the West would still fear us when fully manned. Don't worry about us, a guaranteed winner.

We aren't all banged up right now and this is a new season. Good points on Rockets injuries though. We'll see. If you lose two of your big three, then I can't see the Spurs winning with great regularity during that time span. In the Western Conference as competitive as it is, if you lose a lot in a 4 week time span you are screwed.

Bender
11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
SynicFan, nice avatar if I do say so myself...

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm guessing it goes unspoken whose name is at the top of this list....

Not to me; I can think of several that deserve it equally. The only two of the vets that have been punished happen to be outplaying the others, and Pop had best take notice of that and soon. I'd like to see Hill, Mason, Udoka, Tolliver and Duncan starting until further notice, with spot minutes given to everyone else and a Bonner-style hook the first time they blow an assignment, pass up a shot, fail to chase down a damn rebound or allow a layup instead of at least committing an occasional foul. The lack of physical play by this crew is a joke. I'm so sick of hacking, Dirk-style touch fouls I'm ready to burst. I'd really like someone to fucking foul out at some point as a sign that the defense has a pulse.

SynicFan
11-09-2008, 01:48 PM
SynicFan, nice avatar if I do say so myself...

Yes sir! Thank you sir! I think so too! LOL!!!

duncan228
11-09-2008, 02:29 PM
McDonald catches up to Ludden.

Jeff McDonald: Parker out 'approximately four weeks' (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_p_22.html)

An MRI of Tony Parker's left ankle revealed a grade 2 ankle sprain that will keep the All-Star point guard sidelined "approximately four weeks," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Sunday.

Parker, the NBA's second-leading scorer so far this season, injured his ankle on a first-quarter drive in Friday night's loss to Miami. At the time, the Spurs put a timetable of two to four weeks on his return.

The latest prognosis would seem to put Parker's return at the far end of that spectrum.

Parker watched practice Sunday wearing a protective boot, a pair of crutches resting by his side. For the time being, the Spurs will turn point-guard duties over to rookie George Hill and veteran Jacque Vaughn.

Buford said the club had not ruled out looking outside the organization for help, as the situation warrants.

"I think right now, we'll probably see George play a lot," Buford said. "We'll continue to evaluate our team and the NBA market as we go along."

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
"I think right now, we'll probably see George play a lot," Buford said. "We'll continue to evaluate our team and the NBA market as we go along."

Tinsley?:stirpot:

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 02:41 PM

You know, if the Spurs can trade 2 for 1 for Curry or Tinsley or some other useless turd just to free up a roster spot, I'm all for it. We've already got dead weight that's being paid; the clean spot on the bench would be worth it.

Slomo
11-09-2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/Miss_ludden.jpg

bigdog
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I was fine with Vaughn as Tony's backup, but now with Parker out, I don't like out PG situation. I think Hill should start, despite many wanting Mason to start at PG. That would just make our bench even worse than it already is. I have a feeling the Spurs might bring someone else in, and that might take waiving Farmer, who I really, really want to keep on the team.

Manufan909
11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
No, waive Bonner or Fin first. If Pop can go .500 with Tony AND Manu out, he is god, and the beard curse is over. But idk, there are too many teams that would be a problem with Tony.

Indazone
11-09-2008, 03:49 PM
you gotta wonder what Tony Parker, Manu and Duncan are thinking when they are reading these boards. For that matter Eva.

Indazone
11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
to coin a phrase from Steve Francis. When ya lose the snakes come out. Win and the snakes go away.

ploto
11-09-2008, 04:34 PM

So you want Tinsley's contract?

SynicFan
11-09-2008, 04:41 PM
to coin a phrase from Steve Francis. When ya lose the snakes come out. Win and the snakes go away.

You got a thing for Stevie...
its unfortunate he wont be able to contribute in any significant way.

write.that.down

benefactor
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Not to me; I can think of several that deserve it equally. The only two of the vets that have been punished happen to be outplaying the others, and Pop had best take notice of that and soon. I'd like to see Hill, Mason, Udoka, Tolliver and Duncan starting until further notice, with spot minutes given to everyone else and a Bonner-style hook the first time they blow an assignment, pass up a shot, fail to chase down a damn rebound or allow a layup instead of at least committing an occasional foul. The lack of physical play by this crew is a joke. I'm so sick of hacking, Dirk-style touch fouls I'm ready to burst. I'd really like someone to fucking foul out at some point as a sign that the defense has a pulse.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was referring to the fact that it really doesn't have to be said because it's basically common knowledge at this point. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer. I agree with everything you said here.

Man Mountain
11-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Luden was wrong :wow