PDA

View Full Version : The BCS Title Picture

Texas Chili Dog
11-09-2008, 12:15 AM
First off, congrats to Texas Tech on absolutely destroying Okie Lite. That was a butt whooping of massive proportions, and frankly, I think Tech and Bama should switch rankings, even though it probably won't happen. With Penn State's loss, it looks like the BCS title game will be SEC vs Big 12. That's the easy part. The tough part is determining which two teams.

I'll start with the SEC, because that is much easier to sort out. The SEC championship game will be Alabama vs. Florida. Now, just to make things even easier, all my scenarios are running under the assumption that all the teams in question win the games against the lesser teams that I don't talk about. I'm not saying Florida and Alabama or the teams in the Big 12 will all win out against the other teams, but I'm going to say so just for this thread. The winner of this game should make the BCS title game. That takes care of part #1.

Now for the hard part: the Big 12. First off, if Tech beats Oklahoma in two weeks, the race is pretty much done. Tech would be in the Big 12 title game vs Mizzou, barring a disaster against Baylor. But let's say OU wins that game. Then you would have Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech all tied with one loss each. Again, I'm assuming Texas wins out, as per above.

That's only Part A. The week after Tech-OU, you have OU vs OSU. If Oklahoma wins that game, then there is still the three-way tie between one loss teams TT, UT, and OU. They each beat each other, great. So the tiebreaker is the team with the highest BCS ranking. The BCS is all about "what have you done for me lately?" And lately, OU would have beaten both an undefeated Tech team and a solid OSU team. Texas on the other hand, unfortunately had already been a few weeks off the meat of their schedule. IMO, I think OU would be the highest ranked of the three in the BCS.

Now, if OU LOSES to OSU, then that puts OU and OSU at two losses, and knocks them both out. That leaves Texas and Tech at one loss each. And we know what happened last week. Tech wins that scenario. Any which way you look at it, I think Texas' chances are bleak.

This is also running under another assumption: that the Big 12 South winner will beat Missouri in the conference champ game. I don't even want to begin to think of what will happen if Mizzou wins that game. I'll tell you what WILL happen: chaos. That would remind everyone of 2003, when an undefeated Oklahoma team got destroyed by Kansas St. in the Big 12 title game, yet still went to the BCS title game vs LSU. That was all kinds of fucked up. The BCS has to be praying that Tech and Alabama keep on winning.

As for my prediction of what it will be...I think Florida won't stumble again. They are too good, and Alabama might be showing some signs of slowing down. I think Florida will win out and beat Bama in the SEC title game. I also think OU is getting hot, and will win out to play Florida in the BCS title game.

redraiderinkorea, y'all have a VERY good team, all the props in the world. But I don't want you to give me any shit for thinking OU will win a home game against Tech. Yeah, Tech could win that game, and even do it easily based on what they have done so far. But it's not too much of a stretch either to guess OU will win. No "suck my balls" posts, please. But if you want, you could tell me why you definitely think your team will win that game. :toast

samikeyp
11-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Good post.

While part of me would love to see BCS chaos, i'm cool with a Big XII team running the table and winning it all, especially another team from Texas.

I agree with you about OU having a shot to win. The Sooners are a very good team and will be at home. Also fresh in their minds is last years loss in Lubbock which a lot of Sooner nation feel they got screwed in. IMO, Tech has not been tested on the road. If they win in Norman, I will say it now....they will win it all.

dallaskd
11-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Even if OU can beat Tech and OSU, I don't see them jumping Texas. Texas has beat the same teams plus OU. And Kansas is a decent enough team to justify them staying.

OU is currently 6th in the BCS. To be able to leap from Texas they need to pass Florida too. I don't see that happening, but it will be interesting never the less.

dallaskd
11-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Even though at home Bama still has some tough tests against Miss St and Auburn. And in reality Alabama has not looked too great this year (barely edging OLE MISS, Kentucky, and LSU). Florida still has South Carolina and Florida State. If a two loss Florida team beats a one loss Bama in the chapionship. Were looking at either Texas-TT or Texas-OU.

I'm confident UF will beat Alabama so hopefully Florida will lose before seasons end. I think that would be really fucked up if 2-loss Florida beats an undefeated Bama and Bama still gets in the NC over one of those Big 12 teams.

dallaskd
11-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I pretty much agree with this...

If there's a three way tie for first in the Big 12 then the tiebreaker is the highest BCS average. Between Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech, Texas would win because they were #1 when the BCS polls started coming out, only dropped to #4 after losing to Tech, will likely be #3 after this week and if Tech loses to OU then they'll be #2.

Polls love Texas.

Texas Chili Dog
11-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Even if OU can beat Tech and OSU, I don't see them jumping Texas. Texas has beat the same teams plus OU. And Kansas is a decent enough team to justify them staying.

OU is currently 6th in the BCS. To be able to leap from Texas they need to pass Florida too. I don't see that happening, but it will be interesting never the less.
I think it's possible OU jumps Texas, but remains behind Florida. Meaning Florida finishes #1 with OU #2. Hence, my prediction. Don't want it to happen trust me. I'm a Georgia and Texas fan, and seeing two of my most hated teams play for the title would kill me.

Even though at home Bama still has some tough tests against Miss St and Auburn. And in reality Alabama has not looked too great this year (barely edging OLE MISS, Kentucky, and LSU). Florida still has South Carolina and Florida State. If a two loss Florida team beats a one loss Bama in the chapionship. Were looking at either Texas-TT or Texas-OU.

I'm confident UF will beat Alabama so hopefully Florida will lose before seasons end. I think that would be really fucked up if 2-loss Florida beats an undefeated Bama and Bama still gets in the NC over one of those Big 12 teams.
Do you mean for the National Championship there? If so, it won't happen. It's happened to me before on xBox when I was Georgia and played Tennessee in the BCS title game despite them not even making it to the conference title game. That won't happen in real life with the BCS.

Oklahoma proved in 2003 that it IS possible in the BCS system to MAKE it to the title game despite not winning the conference championship game. But not even making it to the conf. champ. game is a completely different story.

samikeyp
11-09-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm a Georgia and Texas fan, .

You must loved the '84 Cotton Bowl.

:bang

:lol

Texas Chili Dog
11-09-2008, 01:20 AM
You must loved the '84 Cotton Bowl.

:bang

haha I know ALL about that game. Too bad it was played less than six months before I was born, so I didn't get to see it. But it definitely has to be one of the biggest wins in Georgia football history. Georgia is my #1 team, so that result is perfectly fine with me. lol

Now that Georgia won't win the title, I'd love to see them go to the Cotton Bowl this year. I live in Dallas and go to the Cotton Bowl every year, so that would be awesome. Texas would be good too, but the Cotton Bowl would be disappointing for them, so I hope it doesn't happen.

edit: also, how come our sigs show up in some sections, but not others? I have the UGA logo in my sig, but I often don't see it! haha

samikeyp
11-09-2008, 01:23 AM

I was 13 when it happened and was pissed! Still, it was a great game.

redraiderinfiji
11-09-2008, 01:32 AM
actually i dont like Tech's chances of winning in Norman. I am loving the wins against the horns and okie state, but this is OU at norman!

I am not going to say that tech is going to stomp on OU by any means. This is by far Tech's most important game in history, again.

Leach better have even better practices during this 2 week break. Oh nelly, this next game is going to be a doooooozy!

Texas Chili Dog
11-09-2008, 01:42 AM
actually i dont like Tech's chances of winning in Norman. I am loving the wins against the horns and okie state, but this is OU at norman!

I am not going to say that tech is going to stomp on OU by any means. This is by far Tech's most important game in history, again.

Leach better have even better practices during this 2 week break. Oh nelly, this next game is going to be a doooooozy!

gahhh I wish this game was next week. I don't think I can wait two weeks for it. I just want the Big 12 biggest game each week to keep on comin. lol

it's pretty fair though that both teams will get the extra week to prepare, so that's good. Next week is gonna be kind of boring. It's hard to pick out a "game of the week" but it probably has to be Texas-Kansas, just because that game is the next step to keeping the Big 12 South the jumbled mess it is.

dallaskd
11-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Basically... it's probably going to come down to BCS rankings again.

BUMP
11-09-2008, 01:40 PM

have faith.

their D cant stop us, the only thing that worries me is the deep play for OU. they will probly get 1,2, maybe even 3 big play TDs (50 yards or more).

i dont think they will stomp them, but they have done nothing but surprise me all season, it wouldnt surprise me if they actually pull away and win by 20, but OU winning by 20 wouldnt surprise me either. i have tons of respect for the Sooners

cash459
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
First off, congrats to Texas Tech on absolutely destroying Okie Lite. That was a butt whooping of massive proportions, and frankly, I think Tech and Bama should switch rankings, even though it probably won't happen. With Penn State's loss, it looks like the BCS title game will be SEC vs Big 12. That's the easy part. The tough part is determining which two teams.

I'll start with the SEC, because that is much easier to sort out. The SEC championship game will be Alabama vs. Florida. Now, just to make things even easier, all my scenarios are running under the assumption that all the teams in question win the games against the lesser teams that I don't talk about. I'm not saying Florida and Alabama or the teams in the Big 12 will all win out against the other teams, but I'm going to say so just for this thread. The winner of this game should make the BCS title game. That takes care of part #1.

Now for the hard part: the Big 12. First off, if Tech beats Oklahoma in two weeks, the race is pretty much done. Tech would be in the Big 12 title game vs Mizzou, barring a disaster against Baylor. But let's say OU wins that game. Then you would have Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech all tied with one loss each. Again, I'm assuming Texas wins out, as per above.

That's only Part A. The week after Tech-OU, you have OU vs OSU. If Oklahoma wins that game, then there is still the three-way tie between one loss teams TT, UT, and OU. They each beat each other, great. So the tiebreaker is the team with the highest BCS ranking. The BCS is all about "what have you done for me lately?" And lately, OU would have beaten both an undefeated Tech team and a solid OSU team. Texas on the other hand, unfortunately had already been a few weeks off the meat of their schedule. IMO, I think OU would be the highest ranked of the three in the BCS.

Now, if OU LOSES to OSU, then that puts OU and OSU at two losses, and knocks them both out. That leaves Texas and Tech at one loss each. And we know what happened last week. Tech wins that scenario. Any which way you look at it, I think Texas' chances are bleak.

This is also running under another assumption: that the Big 12 South winner will beat Missouri in the conference champ game. I don't even want to begin to think of what will happen if Mizzou wins that game. I'll tell you what WILL happen: chaos. That would remind everyone of 2003, when an undefeated Oklahoma team got destroyed by Kansas St. in the Big 12 title game, yet still went to the BCS title game vs LSU. That was all kinds of fucked up. The BCS has to be praying that Tech and Alabama keep on winning.

As for my prediction of what it will be...I think Florida won't stumble again. They are too good, and Alabama might be showing some signs of slowing down. I think Florida will win out and beat Bama in the SEC title game. I also think OU is getting hot, and will win out to play Florida in the BCS title game.

redraiderinkorea, y'all have a VERY good team, all the props in the world. But I don't want you to give me any shit for thinking OU will win a home game against Tech. Yeah, Tech could win that game, and even do it easily based on what they have done so far. But it's not too much of a stretch either to guess OU will win. No "suck my balls" posts, please. But if you want, you could tell me why you definitely think your team will win that game. :toast

:toast GREAT post. and thanks for the props to Tech

cash459
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
have faith.

their D cant stop us, the only thing that worries me is the deep play for OU. they will probly get 1,2, maybe even 3 big play TDs (50 yards or more).

i dont think they will stomp them, but they have done nothing but surprise me all season, it wouldnt surprise me if they actually pull away and win by 20, but OU winning by 20 wouldnt surprise me either. i have tons of respect for the Sooners

i agree sir! :toast

Blake
11-10-2008, 09:39 AM
the way Mizzou has played us lately, if Tech gets to the Big XII title game, a loss against the tigers wouldnt surprise me either.