PDA

View Full Version : Does the Dread Pirate Leach stay anchored on the South Plains?

samikeyp
11-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Mike Leach has done a great job at Tech, especially this year. This is his best year so far but every season, the Red Raiders are competitive and fun to watch. If he signs a huge contract and stays on at Tech, he will be secure for awhile but it will take more than 2 wins in 9 years over UT to supplant the Horns as top dog in the state. Although I think it could be argued that they are #2 having a 7-2 record over the Aggies in the Leach era. Even so, they are at best 3rd in the Big 12 behind UT and OU (in no particular order) with a combined 4-13 against those two.

So if offered a big time job, would he take it? If he can take Tech to the verge of a national title, imagine if he had the recruiting resources of a Tennessee? (One of the jobs now open)

This is not to knock Lubbock but let's face it, in some ways its a third option for a recruit after Austin and College Station.

For Tech fans sake, I hope he stays but I could also see him go to a more high profile job.

Blake
11-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Schools have thrown out plenty of feelers to him over the years. If he was gonna leave he would have already done so.

I think he is there for the same reason Bob Knight was there.......he has complete control of the place.

and honestlt, are Tennessee, Washington or other teams like that really that much more appealing than being in the Big XII? If the salary offered is in the same ballpark, then I don't see any reason to leave if I'm Leach.

and the recruits are coming......the UT win just swayed two 4 star prospects to give Tech verbals, one being former NFL pro Jeff Blake's son who will play at WR.

Doug Collins
11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Personally, I don't see Leach leaving Tech. His personality fits the university and I think he enjoys the lack of media attention in Lubbock. Of course, the right offer can change everything, but he's built that program and he's eccentric enough not to care about money/a big time program making an offer.

I would love to see Leach go to a Tennessee just to see how he would react to the enhanced scrutiny/media attention. He probably wouldn't give a shit which would make for some hilarious reactions.

Blake
11-12-2008, 11:24 AM
If he gets a chance, he leaves in .000000000001 seconds

Lubbock sucks

:lol

get a clue

Blake
11-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Get a liquor store

apparently you had no trouble finding one

johngateswhiteley
11-13-2008, 06:49 AM
well, washington and tennessee are both better programs, imo. but, i don't think leach ever leaves tekk...for reasons already covered in this thread.

this is as good a chance as leach will ever have to win a national title...crazy enough, tekk may not even make it to a BCS bowl.

redraiderinfiji
11-13-2008, 11:55 PM
well, washington and tennessee are both better programs, imo. but, i don't think leach ever leaves tekk...for reasons already covered in this thread.

this is as good a chance as leach will ever have to win a national title...crazy enough, tekk may not even make it to a BCS bowl.

Wahington is not better! Tennessee, however, has the history and tradition that Tech does not. But Tech is starting to build something here and Leach is the founding father!

Crazy enough, usc might not make it to a bcs bowl.

Crazy enough, the aggies will not make it to a bowl!

chode_regulator
11-14-2008, 12:18 AM
i never understand why any coach leaves his job, in an established program that he has built, to go somewhere else. i mean how has spurrier been since leaving florida? the fag at alabama is lucky that he ahs been succesfful but i oculd have turned that team around. why would he leave lsu to go to the nfl?
i dont know if some of these guys get bored and want a challenge or just think they truly are super coaches and that they didnt win bc they had bad ass players.

i cant imagine someone like belichik leaving the pats and going to the 49ers to try to resurect them. or dungy leaving the colts for the lions, excluding the colts poor performance this eyar.

CubanMustGo
11-14-2008, 02:54 AM
i never understand why any coach leaves his job, in an established program that he has built, to go somewhere else.

http://ndn.newsweek.com/media/25/71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg
http://fetchblog.com/images/money_bags.png

chode_regulator
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
http://ndn.newsweek.com/media/25/71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg
http://fetchblog.com/images/money_bags.png

i dont think thats it. i mean these college coaches get paid a ton of money no matter where they go....in the top programs.

its like edgerrin james. how do you leave the colts for the cardinals for a few extra mil? i mean i know its a lot of money but the cardinals...and noiw that theyre finally doing good, hes on the sideline with a rookie taking his carries.

Blake
11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
i never understand why any coach leaves his job, in an established program that he has built, to go somewhere else. i mean how has spurrier been since leaving florida? the fag at alabama is lucky that he ahs been succesfful but i oculd have turned that team around. why would he leave lsu to go to the nfl?
i dont know if some of these guys get bored and want a challenge or just think they truly are super coaches and that they didnt win bc they had bad ass players.

i cant imagine someone like belichik leaving the pats and going to the 49ers to try to resurect them. or dungy leaving the colts for the lions, excluding the colts poor performance this eyar.

to mention Spurrier, why in the world did he choose South Carolina? why did Lou Holtz?

I think there are some coaches out there who want to prove just how good a coach they really are without having all the talent and resources available to you.

Look at how much praise is being heaped on Leach right now for doing "more with less."

If he was at Notre Dame, there wouldn't be hope for a national championship, there would expectation for a national championship.

And also remember this.......Leach was the one before the season started that went to Myers and ASKED for an extension. That means he wants to stay for a long time.

I know some of you yahoos dog Lubbock, but you are the ones that haven't lived there.........you're only going on what the other yahoos say about their one or two trips there.

j-6
11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
i dont think thats it. i mean these college coaches get paid a ton of money no matter where they go....in the top programs.

its like edgerrin james. how do you leave the colts for the cardinals for a few extra mil? i mean i know its a lot of money but the cardinals...and noiw that theyre finally doing good, hes on the sideline with a rookie taking his carries.

I think Tech lucked out in Leach being a Mormon from Wyoming. He and his family are probably perfectly fine in Lubbock, where he can avoid big city media scrutiny and still have all the benefits of playing in a power conference. He kinda strikes me as the type that prefers complete autonomy over a larger paycheck.

Blake
11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
I think Tech lucked out in Leach being a Mormon from Wyoming.....

pffft. what has that got to do with it?

if anything, Lubbock is a big buckle in the Bible belt where they think that Mormons are cultists.

Tech just lucked out with Leach, period.

j-6
11-14-2008, 12:25 PM

if anything, Lubbock is a big buckle in the Bible belt where they think that Mormons are cultists.

Nice. Don't all those Bible Beaters out in Lubbock boast one of the highest STD rates in the country? Leach better pack all his daughters in those Mormon garment things.

My point was that he probably likes being able to do things his way, be left alone, and raise his kids in relative national obscurity out in the Panhandle. Sort of the same reason why Tech and Bob Knight were a decent match.

Blake
11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Nice. Don't all those Bible Beaters out in Lubbock boast one of the highest STD rates in the country? Leach better pack all his daughters in those Mormon garment things.

no sir

My point was that he probably likes being able to do things his way, be left alone, and raise his kids in relative national obscurity out in the Panhandle. Sort of the same reason why Tech and Bob Knight were a decent match.

yes sir

FromWayDowntown
11-14-2008, 01:07 PM

At least it's clear that the people who conducted the search to replace Spike Dykes knew what they were doing. IIRC, the final 2 candidates for that job were Rich Rodriguez (who's been a big winner, notwithstanding his struggles this year at Michigan) and Leach (who's obviously started to built a consistent and occasionally formidable program in Lubbock). If anything, Tech was fortunate that Rodriguez turned them down, in light of his clear willingness to leave for greener pastures.

Blake
11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
At least it's clear that the people who conducted the search to replace Spike Dykes knew what they were doing. IIRC, the final 2 candidates for that job were Rich Rodriguez (who's been a big winner, notwithstanding his struggles this year at Michigan) and Leach (who's obviously started to built a consistent and occasionally formidable program in Lubbock). If anything, Tech was fortunate that Rodriguez turned them down, in light of his clear willingness to leave for greener pastures.

spot on.

It's like when UT was looking for a head coach and it came down to Mack Brown or Gary Barnett fresh off his success at Northwestern....

I guess that worked out pretty good for the Horns.....

johngateswhiteley
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Wahington is not better! Tennessee, however, has the history and tradition that Tech does not.

is that right?

1) Washington has more conference titles than tekk and 4 national championships

2) Tennessee has more conference titles than tekk and 6 national championships

3) Washington and Tennessee are both in the top 20 all time in winning %...tekk is #67

...sorry, but both are far superior programs. in fact, yesterday FOX was discussing if Leach would leave for a better program and both schools discussed were Washington and Tennessee. though, i think most people know Leach is unlikely to go anywhere.

edit: not to mention, far superior bowl records for both teams.

redraiderinfiji
11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
is that right?

3) Washington and Tennessee are both in the top 20 all time in winning %...tekk is #67

...sorry, but both are far superior programs. in fact, yesterday FOX was discussing if Leach would leave for a better program and both schools discussed were Washington and Tennessee. though, i think most people know Leach is unlikely to go anywhere.

Wishful thinking buddy, but you know it and I know it......LEACH IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

johngateswhiteley
11-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Wishful thinking buddy, but you know it and I know it......LEACH IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

let me get this straight...

you made a ridiculous comment about tekk football...i corrected you. then i said Leach, basically, isn't going anywhere. to which you responded with (posted above).

what is wrong with you?

redraiderinfiji
11-15-2008, 04:31 PM
let me get this straight...

you made a ridiculous comment about tekk football...i corrected you. then i said Leach, basically, isn't going anywhere. to which you responded with (posted above).

what is wrong with you?

Actually, I was agreeing with you......

again, you know it and I know it, he is not going anywhere.......

Even though I know you want him to pack his shit and head for a gig like Tennessee or Washington!

redraiderinfiji
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
dont get your panties in a (taylor) bunch

chode_regulator
11-15-2008, 09:18 PM
is that right?

pwnted

redraiderinkorea, try reading

samikeyp
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I would agree about Tennessee but not necessarily UW at least lately.

Since 98, Tech is 88-46 with 9 bowl games (10 if you add this year) while Washington is 57-72 with 5 bowls and none since 2002.

Over the last 5 complete seasons UW is 18-41 and 0-9 this year compared to 42-21 and 10-0 for TTU.

If you look over the entire history of both, then yes, Washington is better but big time College Football is about the here and now and right now, with Leach at the helm, Tech would seem to have the edge. That being said, Leach would be the kind of guy who could use the vast resources of Husky Nation and turn that thing around but I still don't see him leaving Lubbock.

Blake
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM

beh. Toledo has a far superior bowl record than Tech, Tenn and Washington.

What matters is bowl appearances.

Tennessee has 47 appearances which is 3rd all time.
Texas Tech has 31 bowl appearances which is 17th all time.

Tech is tied with Miami and has more bowl appearances than Texas A&M, Notre Dame and yes, even Washington.

Tech is also the only Big XII team that has been bowl eligible every single year the conference has been in existence, and even though their bowl record is a lousy 10-20-1, they have won 5 out of the last 6 bowls they've been to.

.....and since 2001, Tennessee has not been to a BCS game and their bowl record is 3-4.