PDA

View Full Version : MNC possibility

200 miles
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Is it possible for there to be a rematch between UT-Tech in the title game?

Kermit
11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
No. Nobody (being the voters) wants to see that game again. Tech won. What's really going to suck is if Tech loses to OU.

StylisticS
11-09-2008, 12:37 PM
No. Nobody (being the voters) wants to see that game again. Tech won. What's really going to suck is if Tech loses to OU.

It won't suck for me as I hate the BCS. But it will be interesting to see what will happen if OU does win.

cash459
11-09-2008, 03:04 PM
actually, it IS a possibility.

now the likeliness of that happening is another story

cash459
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
It won't suck for me as I hate the BCS. But it will be interesting to see what will happen if OU does win.

if OU wins, they still HAVE to beat OSU to make it to the Big 12 championship

Kermit
11-09-2008, 06:57 PM
if OU wins, they still HAVE to beat OSU to make it to the Big 12 championship

For this to happen, they have to be ranked in front of Texas. Since they would have identical records (assuming they both win out) and Texas would have a win over OU, the Sooners playing in the Big 12 Championship would be unlikely.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I think it could possibly happen in one, extremely far-fetched scenario:

1. OU beats Texas Tech in a close game and then loses to OSU with Texas winning out. Tech and Texas tie in the Big XII South, Tech goes to the Big XII title game and wins.

2. As noted above, Texas finishes with 1 loss.

3. Florida loses its regular season finale at Florida State; Florida then beats Alabama for the SEC title.

4. USC drops a game to either Notre Dame or UCLA -- or looks absolutely horrible in one of those games.

5. Penn State loses its finale to Michigan State (with the Big 10 title on the line).

If all of that were to happen, UT and Tech would each finish with 1 loss and everyone that's nipping at their heels, for now, would have 2 losses. It doesn't take into account what Utah or Boise State does, either.

2centsworth
11-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Here's my scenario:

Tech wins out.

Florida loses to Florida St., but beats Alabama in the SEC Championship game.

that's it.

cash459
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
For this to happen, they have to be ranked in front of Texas. Since they would have identical records (assuming they both win out) and Texas would have a win over OU, the Sooners playing in the Big 12 Championship would be unlikely.

If ou were to beat tech, that would put them ahead of ut.

Kermit
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
If ou were to beat tech, that would put them ahead of ut.

The voters wouldn't put OU ahead of UT, a team they lost to when both team have identical records. Sorry. When TCU lost, OU's quality win department failed. This is why Tech losing (the possibility) is going to suck. Texas won't deserve to get in over Tech, OU won't deserve to get in over Texas, and Tech won't deserve to get in over OU. It's a huge clusterfuck and the tiebreaker should be something other than the BCS standing. Hell, a coin flip would be better.

Biggems
11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Texas can possibly make the Championship game by not even winning the Big 12.

UT beats KU, A&M
TT loses to OU
OU loses to OSU

TT owns the tiebreaker over UT and goes to the Big 12 Title game

Mizzou beats TT to win the Big 12 Championship.

Mizzou gets an automatic BCS bid. Texas as an at large goes on to play for the National Title.....

scott
11-09-2008, 11:39 PM
The voters wouldn't put OU ahead of UT, a team they lost to when both team have identical records. Sorry. When TCU lost, OU's quality win department failed. This is why Tech losing (the possibility) is going to suck. Texas won't deserve to get in over Tech, OU won't deserve to get in over Texas, and Tech won't deserve to get in over OU. It's a huge clusterfuck and the tiebreaker should be something other than the BCS standing. Hell, a coin flip would be better.

Voters won't put OU ahead of Texas, but they'd put Texas ahead of Tech? Not so fast. It will all depend of how OU beats Tech. If OU wins a close one, I think UT will maintain a lead over OU. If OU beats TT by a solid margin, then OU will leap frog UT. Don't under-estimate the value of timing. Red River Shootout being played earlier in the year won't carry the same weight to voters as OU-TT in the next to last game of the year. Even if Texas maintains a lead over OU if OU beats TT, a big win over OSU could also put OU ahead of UT.

Bama-Florida SEC title game will send one team to the National Title game - if the Big 12 becomes too big of a clusterfuck, then it would not at all surprise me to see media-darlings USC sneak their way into the title game.

With that said, I fully expect OU to handle Tech in 2 weeks and for the standings going into Conference Title Games to be:

1. Bama
2. Florida
3. OU
4. Texas
5. USC

I think it would be more likely for OU and UT to play each other in the national title game than UT-TT.

For that scenario to take place, OU would need to destroy TT (which would put OU in the Big 12 Title Game), Bama or Florida to lose before the title game, then win the title game, and for 'SC to choke.

Biggems
11-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Voters won't put OU ahead of Texas, but they'd put Texas ahead of Tech? Not so fast. It will all depend of how OU beats Tech. If OU wins a close one, I think UT will maintain a lead over OU. If OU beats TT by a solid margin, then OU will leap frog UT. Don't under-estimate the value of timing. Red River Shootout being played earlier in the year won't carry the same weight to voters as OU-TT in the next to last game of the year. Even if Texas maintains a lead over OU if OU beats TT, a big win over OSU could also put OU ahead of UT.

Bama-Florida SEC title game will send one team to the National Title game - if the Big 12 becomes too big of a clusterfuck, then it would not at all surprise me to see media-darlings USC sneak their way into the title game.

With that said, I fully expect OU to handle Tech in 2 weeks and for the standings going into Conference Title Games to be:

1. Bama
2. Florida
3. OU
4. Texas
5. USC

I think it would be more likely for OU and UT to play each other in the national title game than UT-TT.

For that scenario to take place, OU would need to destroy TT (which would put OU in the Big 12 Title Game), Bama or Florida to lose before the title game, then win the title game, and for 'SC to choke.

I think the win over Mizzou keeps Texas ahead of OU. Besides, the game will be in Norman, so OU has the home field advantage. UT lost in Lubbock.

I really feel bad for OSU....they had to play 3 hard road games in Mizzou, UT, and Lubbock. At least they get OU in Stillwater.

Texas Chili Dog
11-10-2008, 12:29 AM
If Florida loses to Florida State and then beats undefeated Alabama, AND Missouri beats undefeated Tech...

all hell is going to break loose. :lol

Blake
11-10-2008, 09:13 AM
if Bama would have lost the other day, Tech and UT would be #1-2.

That would be absolutely crazy if the season somehow finished out like that.

cash459
11-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the win over Mizzou keeps Texas ahead of OU. Besides, the game will be in Norman, so OU has the home field advantage. UT lost in Lubbock.

I really feel bad for OSU....they had to play 3 hard road games in Mizzou, UT, and Lubbock. At least they get OU in Stillwater.

the thing hurting that, is how much mizzou struggled with baylor. the barely pulled out a win. that doesnt look good for mizzou or anyone who beats them

Doug Collins
11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
the thing hurting that, is how much mizzou struggled with baylor. the barely pulled out a win. that doesnt look good for mizzou or anyone who beats them

Agreed. Mizzou was terribly overrated and lost all their confidence following the OSU loss. The texas destruction just made things worse.