PDA

View Full Version : Marbury to Spurs ?

manu2150
11-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Several GMs doubt that Stephon Marbury (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4144) will eventually make his way to Boston because he could mess with the chemistry. "They'd be risking too much," said one executive. But the Spurs (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4564), struggling to score without Manu Ginobili (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4245), could use Marbury and might have strong enough leadership to take a flier. "Remember, they once brought in Vernon Maxwell," said an Eastern Conference GM. "Marbury isn't that bad."

New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/lawrence/?page=1)

Steve-O-Matic
11-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Nothing to lose at this point.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 02:05 PM
"Remember, they once brought in Vernon Maxwell,"

And how'd that work out? :lol

(For those of you that don't know, the Spurs won 20 games)

Stump
11-09-2008, 02:05 PM
No

Allanon
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
You really know the season's not looking good when Starbury gets to come in as the Spurs Savior.

wisnub
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Spurs keep loosing, might as well take a chance...we need scoring real bad, we used to be known for our defense but right now we sucks like shit

itzsoweezee
11-09-2008, 02:14 PM
if marbury's arrival means less minutes for finley, then i'm okay with it. if it means less minutes for the young guys, then no thanks.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 02:15 PM
And you still have to find a roster spot for him. If the Spurs are going to clear one out, I'll take Hairston over Marbury any day of the week.

Avitus1
11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Screw that.

cherylsteele
11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
NOOOooo.....please god......NOOooo!

Darthkiller
11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
who does the spurs trade , marbury has a huge contract and the knicks is not buying him out.

SenorSpur
11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd rather lose every game than have this loser and team cancer on the roster.

bigdog
11-09-2008, 03:17 PM
If Buford and Pop are anywhere near in their right mind, they would not do this. I'll gladly take Vaughn ahead of Marbury any day, no matter how good of a scorer Marbury is.

temujin
11-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Not a funny joke.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
There's a good possibility this team is going to be without Parker and without Ginobili for the next month. Even with Parker, this team was 1-3 with a win only because he had the game of his life, and that win still took double OT. This team needs to do whatever it can to keep its head above water until Tim, Manu, and Tony are all healthy enough to lead the Spurs.

If this team is around the 5-16 mark this time next month, we're going to be looking at killing the big 3 with minutes just to make the playoffs. These are desperate times for the Spurs with no Parker nor Ginobili and no help from the supporting cast, and the team has to do anything it can to add talent. Even a malcontent way past his prime like Stoudamire was a very valuable stopgap for a few weeks last season, and it's a no-brainer to go out an get Marbury for the same role if he gets bought out.

There's no way the Spurs can throw a season when they have Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili on the team, and they could very well play themselves out of the playoffs pretty easily if the team is Duncan + Mason + nothing for the next month.

xtremesteven33
11-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I think Marbury as a "cancer" is highly overrated by the media. I think the situation with him and the Knicks last year was the cause of two people in severe conflict, Isaiah and Stephon. I think he has matured a lot in this past year by not complaining publically or making a spectacle of himself to the media or his team.

If i were the Spurs and a good deal came along to get Stephon for the time being i would be all for it. Its not like the Spurs are a young immature team who would let a guy like Stephon destroy it. With people like Tim,Pop,Bruce and Manu no one man show could take that core off its focus.

So if it would be possible i would DEFINITELY do it. This team needs scoring in the worst way at this moment. Marubury is a proven scorer and facilitator. Him and Tim and Mason could hold down the fort till Manu and Tony come back fully healthy.

xtremesteven33
11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
No way this happens though. The guy has a salary as big as Duncans

tp2021
11-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't see how adding Stephon helps us win. It might help us score more, but anybody who has watched the past few games knows that we aren't going to beat anyone by outscoring them. Maybe if we had Manu and Tony, but we don't. We need everyone to step up obviously, but in particular, we need Tim to be a defensive force inside, Fab and Kurt to crash the boards, and Bruce to be the shutdown defender we know he is.

xtremesteven33
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't see how adding Stephon helps us win. It might help us score more, but anybody who has watched the past few games knows that we aren't going to beat anyone by outscoring them. Maybe if we had Manu and Tony, but we don't. We need everyone to step up obviously, but in particular, we need Tim to be a defensive force inside, Fab and Kurt to crash the boards, and Bruce to be the shutdown defender we know he is.

Thats the point. This team doesnt have the athletecism (outside of the Big 3) to keep up with other younger teams. A lineup of:
Hill
Finley
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

will lose you almost every game. Even if he defense gets back on track, if you cant put points on the board than its just as bad as a poor defensive team.
My point was HYPOTHETICALLY Marbury would be a good fill in for the Spurs.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM

0-18 run.

The team didn't have problems scoring when Parker was playing out of his mind the first four games. What's the plan now though, with him in street clothes? Duncan scores 50 every night? It sure isn't going to be Finley, Bowen, Thomas, Farmer, Tolliver, Oberto, Bonner, nor Vaughn.

Borosai
11-09-2008, 03:58 PM
No.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
With Parker now out a month, it becomes obvious they have to get Marbury if he's bought out.

timvp
11-09-2008, 04:05 PM
My head says no to Marbury, the injury report says the Spurs might have to.

tp2021
11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Even with Tony, their defense was bad. With or without the injury to him, that is something that must be addressed. The only win they have was because Tony scored out of his mind. Even with Marbury, this team isn't going to score 100+ points. They can't win without getting the defense back to what we expect. No player they can get is going to replace Tony's scoring, without which they haven't won. They need someone who can at least help by reducing the amount of points needed to win, i.e. PLAY DEFENSE.

dknights411
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow. Stephon Marbury in San Antonio is actually a good idea. This, my friends, is the lowest point in Spurs history. :drunk

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Even with Tony, their defense was bad. With or without the injury to him, that is something that must be addressed. The only win they have was because Tony scored out of his mind. Even with Marbury, this team isn't going to score 100+ points. They can't win without getting the defense back to what we expect. No player they can get is going to replace Tony's scoring, without which they haven't won. They need someone who can at least help by reducing the amount of points needed to win, i.e. PLAY DEFENSE.

They also can't win scoring 80 points a night. Where is the offense going to come from? I can say without hyperbole that 2/3 of our active roster is NBDL material so far.

naico
11-09-2008, 04:13 PM
And what if we could somehow get an unhappy Sergio Rodriguez?

Manufan909
11-09-2008, 04:14 PM
What's odd is that the Spurs shouldn't be playing defense this bad. Manu wasn't a huge contribution, he was good but not great on D. Idk if there are too many new guys, are just Pop is playing the worn out vets too much. I'm guessing the latter.

xtremesteven33
11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
This has a VERY slim chance of happening though. Walsh and DAntoni have said multiple times they will not waive or buy him out.

They said they would rather pay him $20 million a year to ride the bench the rest of the season.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
This has a VERY slim chance of happening though. Walsh and DAntoni have said multiple times they will not waive or buy him out.

They said they would rather pay him $20 million a year to ride the bench the rest of the season.

Denver said the same thing about McDyess, and he's being bought out tomorrow.

King
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Here are some guys I think we should look at: Jason Sasser, Joe Courtney, Stephen Howard, Gaylon Nickerson, Tim Kempton, and Darrin Hancock.

Spur-Addict
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM

You have to crawl before you can walk. So adding scoring to a team who cannot, will not aid in winning? Ok. :lol

My ears keep hearing the same bullshit over and over again. " We need Tim to play D like we know he can." "Cry, Blah, Cry, Blah"---The situation is this people, without two All Star potent scorers Tim must be on the court for us to win, even with one of the two out. So all this Tim needs to do this and that needs to chill.

What happens if Tim is on the bench for long stretches due to fouls? Oh I get it, we'll hear this: "Come on Tim, you gotta know better than that to foul, we need you on the court." Please, just stop with the garbage. At this point in time, we cannot simply choose out of a plethora of efficient players. If we survive when Tony and Manu get back, then Marbury could be used as a Ben Gordon type player. Come on now, this isn't that hard. And, he knows what he'd be coming into with Pop, the whole league does.

xtremesteven33
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
IF marubry were to come to the Spurs hed be such a fantastic fit. Im telling you people. The New York media has buried this guy so deep in crap that everyone believes hes the worst team player on the earth. He has made horrible decisions in the past but he has self admitted that he is a changed person now and has recently said that he wished that Larry Brown were with him to get on him like he used to.

I think he has matured alot and is willing to put away his ego and take a role if it means winning. This team would be a good place to start his career over again.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
There's a good possibility this team is going to be without Parker and without Ginobili for the next month. Even with Parker, this team was 1-3 with a win only because he had the game of his life, and that win still took double OT. This team needs to do whatever it can to keep its head above water until Tim, Manu, and Tony are all healthy enough to lead the Spurs.

If this team is around the 5-16 mark this time next month, we're going to be looking at killing the big 3 with minutes just to make the playoffs. These are desperate times for the Spurs with no Parker nor Ginobili and no help from the supporting cast, and the team has to do anything it can to add talent. Even a malcontent way past his prime like Stoudamire was a very valuable stopgap for a few weeks last season, and it's a no-brainer to go out an get Marbury for the same role if he gets bought out.

There's no way the Spurs can throw a season when they have Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili on the team, and they could very well play themselves out of the playoffs pretty easily if the team is Duncan + Mason + nothing for the next month.

And there's a history of how much better Marbury made the Knicks.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I'll take that as an endorsement of the pray that Tim scores 45 and Mason 25 every night so the team can get to 90 plan.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll take that as an endorsement of the pray that Tim scores 45 and Mason 25 every night so the team can get to 90 plan.

They've been scoring points. How's that worked out so far? Unless Marbury is some great lockdown defender then I'm unsure of how he's going to help. Yeah, he's compiled assists in his career, but that doesn't mean much if the guys you pass to can't hit a shot.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 05:10 PM
They've been scoring points. How's that worked out so far? Unless Marbury is some great lockdown defender then I'm unsure of how he's going to help. Yeah, he's compiled assists in his career, but that doesn't mean much if the guys you pass to can't hit a shot.

They were scoring points 3 games when they had their top scorer. Where's it going to come from now? They scored 83 without TP. Even with TP, they only scored 81 on Dallas.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
They were scoring points when they had their top scorer. Where's it going to come from now? They scored 83 without TP.

They were scoring points and losing. What the hell does it matter if they aren't going to stop anyone? I really could care less if the Spurs lose by 4 or lose by 18; I'm not sure why you do.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 05:14 PM
They were scoring points and losing. What the hell does it matter if they aren't going to stop anyone? I really could care less if the Spurs lose by 4 or lose by 18; I'm not sure why you do.

If the Spurs could score consistently they might get off winning up to half of their games in the next month. Tell me how they're seriously going to average 90+ with the lineup they have now. This isn't 1999, and no one's going to win games at any decent clip scoring in the 80s.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2008, 05:18 PM
If the Spurs could score consistently they might get off winning up to half of their games in the next month. Tell me how they're seriously going to average 90+ with the lineup they have now. This isn't 1999, and no one's going to win games at any decent clip scoring in the 80s.

The point you seem to be missing is that they're giving up 105 a game. It therefore doesn't matter if they score 80 or 90.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Marbury is pure nutcase... NO.

Anyway, he's on $21mil, and the Knicks have stated that they won't buy him out, so what are we gonna do, trade Timmah for him??? :lmao

Timmy!
11-09-2008, 05:43 PM
This tread is retarted.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
The point you seem to be missing is that they're giving up 105 a game. It therefore doesn't matter if they score 80 or 90.

The point you're missing is that playing defense isn't going to make up for not being able to score more than 85 in a game. The Spurs have already had 2 horrible offensive showings after 5 games. Offense alone won't make them a good team, but it'll be enough to get some Ws against the other cellar dwellers of the league. Marbury could probably give us 10 points a night while playing as badly on the other end as Vaughn does.

mystargtr34
11-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Id take Marbury in a heart beat, he still has talent and he can score and make plays.

tomtom
11-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Maybe for the vet min but no way we can take this dudes contract head on

Spurtacus
11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
For veteran minimum....not even. Just play this out with the young guys.

m33p0
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
$22M coming off the books at the end of the season with the possibility of ridding ourselves of Bonner/Finley/KT/Vaughn? hell yes!

rascal
11-09-2008, 10:35 PM

This team will not win no matter how hard they play defense with the offense they have now.

MrChug
11-09-2008, 10:48 PM
"Hawks or Thunder here I come!!!"

tav1
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM

+2

tav1
11-09-2008, 10:51 PM
$22M coming off the books at the end of the season with the possibility of ridding ourselves of Bonner/Finley/KT/Vaughn? hell yes!

You need to brush up on your math, and besides even if the Spurs were interested in Marbury, which they're not, they wouldn't trade for him.

baseline bum
11-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Well, you'll probably get something close to your first wish for the foreseeable future with RC's shitty GM work. This team would actually have a chance had RC not traded Scola for jack shit.

ducks
11-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Well, you'll probably get something close to your first wish for the foreseeable future with RC's shitty GM work. This team would actually have a chance had RC not traded Scola for jack shit.

scola is sucking against lakers
a team with decent bigs

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-10-2008, 02:50 AM

Except that they add up to about $12mil and NYK would never take them.

If we had $21mil in expendables, I'd do it, and leave him on the bench here if we need to... :lol

mattyc
11-10-2008, 02:56 AM
I like Marbury, but not as a Spur.

m33p0
11-10-2008, 03:07 AM
i didn't know you need math to use sarcasm.

MI21
11-10-2008, 07:38 AM
The Spurs need scoring while Tony and Manu are out.

The defense has been terrible I know, but it is the regular season, and if you can score, you can win a few games. The Spurs need scoring not because it will win them a championship, they need it so they at least win a few regular season games so they can then have a chance to stay in playoff contention... which will give the team time to improve there defense with a full roster.

It's easier to win some regular season games in the NBA with sheer offense because teams have off nights and if you can score enough, you can win. At the moment, this active Spurs team will struggle to score enough points even if the opposition is having an off night or if the Spurs hold them to 85 points.

Marbury at 30MPG can still give at least 13PPG and be a true offensive threat. He wouldn't help the Spurs in there normal state, but at the moment, he sure would.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-10-2008, 07:46 AM
i didn't know you need math to use sarcasm.

I needed your setup for my own jape... ;)

MI21
11-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Fuck, we are discussing Marbury. This season sucks major balls.

Supergirl
11-10-2008, 10:23 AM
At this point, try it. He's a decent scorer and if he signs for the vet min it's worth the risk. He's a knucklehead but so was Jax, who excelled here in a disciplined environment.

At this point, with no Parker and no Manu, I think the Spurs have very little to lose.

SenorSpur
11-10-2008, 10:29 AM

No kidding. I really didn't mind the Scola trade at in theory, but never, in my wildest dreams, did I think they would've simply given the guy away for a bag of magic beans and some pocket change.

Fabbs
11-10-2008, 11:29 AM

That's why Pop plays Mike Finley. Popped demands hard defense, you know.
And he's won 4 titles.

Fabbs
11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I would have welcomed Marbury before his idiotic "I wont accept a 99% buyout" comments. (paraphrasing). What a selfish loser.

He could have really helped.

ElNono
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
scola is sucking against lakers
a team with decent bigs

What game were you watching? He was one of the few decent rockets players last night, as opposed to Yao and T-Mac...
There's no need to badmouth Scola for a FO fuckup...

And please, keep Starbury as FAR away from Texas as possible...

Indazone
11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Marbury to the Spurs..lol now I have seen everything.

xtremesteven33
11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Marbury to the Spurs..lol now I have seen everything.

HEY HEY HEY.....beggars cant be choosers

nkdlunch
11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I would rather bring in Mighty Mouse

1Parker1
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Michael Finley and Udoka really need to step it up.

xtremesteven33
11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I would rather bring in Mighty Mouse

:td

nkdlunch
11-10-2008, 01:14 PM
ok, Mighty Mouse's cousin

if he feels better and we see ourselves in a 5+ game losing streak I see Spurs gettting him back.

what is the status of Salim's injury?

Allanon
11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
What game were you watching? He was one of the few decent rockets players last night, as opposed to Yao and T-Mac...
There's no need to badmouth Scola for a FO fuckup...

I think when Ducks posted that, it was early in the game and Scola hadn't done much.

However, you're right, by the end of the game, Scola was the 2nd best Rocket player, only behind the little guy, Aaron Brooks.

As for the FO fuckup, I think it's fair to say Scola is better than Oberto, KT, Bonner and Tolliver. And probably better than Mahinmi but I'll wait til Ian plays in the NBA before I make that decision.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
The Spurs need scoring while Tony and Manu are out.

The defense has been terrible I know, but it is the regular season, and if you can score, you can win a few games.

The Spurs are 1-4. They've been scoring, and it's won them precisely one game.

In double overtime.

Against the Timberwolves.

It seems like some of you haven't been watching the Spurs for the last fifteen years.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
The point you're missing is that playing defense isn't going to make up for not being able to score more than 85 in a game. The Spurs have already had 2 horrible offensive showings after 5 games. Offense alone won't make them a good team, but it'll be enough to get some Ws against the other cellar dwellers of the league. Marbury could probably give us 10 points a night while playing as badly on the other end as Vaughn does.

You don't seem to understand how bad this team is playing on the defensive end. Last year, Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen alone averaged the same number of blocks per game as the entire Spurs team does now. Their opponents are out boarding them by five a game over last year, and their opponents are outshooting them. Even if Bonner, Finley and Bowen continue to shoot as badly as they have, the combination of rebounding, playing defense and not jacking up 30 three pointers a game would put the Spurs a hell of a lot closer to winning games than signing a guy who didn't make the Knicks better until he was banished to the bench. If Mike D'Antoni doesn't think he's going to be a credit to the offense, why the hell should we?

Jahivah
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
MAn I would love that move. Aside from all his issues he is truly one of the great point guards in this league. WIth some good leadership and coaching Marbury could definitely be a big contributor. Apart from that he is more of a true point than Parker. Playing both at the same time would allow parker to concnetrate on scoring.

m33p0
11-10-2008, 09:37 PM
And once Parker and Manu are back, what then? And what if Hill and Farmer turn out to be better than expected, what now? you'll have one disgruntled employee that could go postal.

lefty
11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
And once Parker and Manu are back, what then? And what if Hill and Farmer turn out to be better than expected, what now? you'll have one disgruntled employee that could go postal.

+1

galvatron3000
11-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I would have welcomed Marbury before his idiotic "I wont accept a 99% buyout" comments. (paraphrasing). What a selfish loser.

He could have really helped.

why would he except that he's not in their plans and he knows it. I wouldn't except it either especially when he will not get that kind of money again, that's his last big contract. Taking less helps the KNicks but doesn't help Marbury at all and the KNICKS are penalizing him by not playing him at all. Going to work at something you love and do well and not being able to do it because someone else has decided, they paid me too mcuh so let's not use him in an attempt to make me take less is selfish on who's part again?

Knicks suck because they allowed Thomas AND Layden to screw them for years.