PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tired of the "doom and gloom" attitude towards the Spurs?

SpursDynasty
11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
It's really getting old. If we started the season with a healthy big three and we start 1-4, then I understand the concern. But seriously, how many more times do we need to hear that Matt Bonner and Michael Finley are the worst players in the NBA? Manu hasn't been healthy, Oberto hasn't been healthy...now Parker is out...I'm just wondering how well are we supposed to be with all that going on?

There are 77 more games to be played. The least talented group in the NBA? Says the coach who's doing commentary because his team couldn't win.

Our bench was already thin last year. That's the price of having 3 superstar caliber players. We didn't have that #4 guy that we have this year in Mason.

So everybody please...shut up, or turn the TV's off until December or bandwagon time in April.

honestfool84
11-09-2008, 02:50 PM
amen brother.

preach it.

duncanchick21
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
:flag:Yes thank you!!! Go Spurs Go!!!!

SynicFan
11-09-2008, 03:13 PM
So everybody please...shut up, or turn the TV's off until December or bandwagon time in April.

How 'bout we dont....but pretend we did.

SenorSpur
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
How about everybody stick their heads inthe ground and pretend that absolutely nothing is wrong? Let's close our eyes, click our heels and we'll open them and find our team in the NBA Finals.

Manufan909
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Or you could man up and watch the whole season, even though the next month or so will be hell for true Spurs fans. But you should be happy, senorspur, now Pop is forced to play the young ones, since he finally saw the "energy" they bring. No matter how on Fin and Bowen are, they lost that years ago. Meanwhile, Farmer, Hill, and Tolliver are bursting with it.

SenorSpur
11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Or you could man up and watch the whole season, even though the next month or so will be hell for true Spurs fans. But you should be happy, senorspur, now Pop is forced to play the young ones, since he finally saw the "energy" they bring. No matter how on Fin and Bowen are, they lost that years ago. Meanwhile, Farmer, Hill, and Tolliver are bursting with it.

I'm being facetious, of course. I'm not a league pass subscriber just to waste money. I absolutely love watching these young guys in action. I'd rather lose with young, hungry, still-developing guys, than lose with over-the-hill veterans, whose play is uninspired. Pop obviously agrees.

honestfool84
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
How 'bout we dont....but pretend we did.

because you're annoying, and that's the point.
you're not a real fan.
you just whine and cry after EVERY single loss, as if the any team is actually going to win 82 games in a season.

so :stfu

spursfan09
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
We should all keep an optimistic attitude because we still have number 21. just hope nothing happens to him.

sprrs
11-09-2008, 05:02 PM
It would be a little easier to not worry about the team if they didn't have a legitimate chance to miss the playoffs.

benefactor
11-09-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.sacredcowdung.com/HumblePieMatrixGIF2_small.jpg

I think this just about sums up the mindset of the fans you are referring to.

SpursDynasty
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
We're not missing the playoffs.

Let's say in the worst-case scenario, the season ends with LA and Utah at #1 and #2.

Then seeds #3-6 would go something like: New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, and Dallas (who are only 2-4 at this point and they've been healthy - they have just as much a chance to miss the playoffs as we do)...

The Spurs would have to finish the regular season behind the likes of both Portland and Denver to miss the playoffs.

Not happening. We could struggle the entire season and still get the #8 seed, only because Chauncey Billups is on the Nuggets and there's no telling what will happen with them.

mrspurs
11-09-2008, 07:33 PM
The only thing this thread is missing is the Pom Poms.

m33p0
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
:cheer:cheer:cheer:flag::flag::cheer:cheer:cheer

The Truth #6
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Your optimism is good to hear but hard to take serious. If we have sustained injuries we could end up in a hole to big to climb out of, even if by the end of the season we start playing better and are actually a better team then some of the lower playoff seeds. With the playoff race last year being insanely competitive it's weird that you would so quickly discount the potential of other teams. Winning isn't guaranteed for us, it's something that took work to accomplish. Also, I think JVG is an intelligent analyst and has often praised the Spurs when we did well. He hardly has any grudge against us.

I'd rather not lose but I'm not going to kill myself if we don't win another title or even make the playoffs. We've had an incredible, almost unprecedented amount of success.

I also am happy to see the young players get a chance because I want to see what they can do. Obviously it's better if we win but I'm not going to base my interest solely on winning. I became a fan during the leanest years and still found something interesting to watch. In fact one of my favorite players was during our worst year ever.

I understand the shock at how quickly we've fallen off. I'm going to follow the progress of the new players along with our Big 3 and see where that goes. Every year has a new challenge.

m33p0
11-09-2008, 07:48 PM
"We're fucked! We're fucked! There could be giant ticks everywhere... we don't know. Run! Scurry! Flee! Flee!"
-LB

Tully365
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
No amount of planning by Pop or the FO could offset injuries to 5 guys (Manu, Oberto, Hill, Mahinmi, and now Parker) that were supposed to be in the rotation. Bonner is supposed to be a 3rd string guy and he is starting.... All you can do with injuries is persevere and hope for the best. Jeff Van Gundy, of all people, should understand this better than most...

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM
We should make a Koolaid forum for all of you who get bent out of shape over any criticism of the team or front office.

manufor3
11-09-2008, 09:33 PM
We should all keep an optimistic attitude because we still have number 21. just hope nothing happens to him.

spurs1990
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
What makes you think Parker and Ginobili aren't bound to suffer more injuries...I've seen this story before, and the gods say we're headed for mediocrity in 2008-2009.

Besides, the west is colossal, the schedule is killer (have you seen the rodeo trip), the roster is old and talentless, and the NBA will do all it can to prevent SAS to be playing in June.

As Bill O'Reilly puts it, where am I wrong.

Avitus1
11-09-2008, 11:36 PM
*Clap Clap Clap*

Couldn't have said it better.

wisnub
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
whatever...lets see how it goes. Lost or win just see the game. Looking forward to see Parker back to the game. He is the number two scorer in the league behind LBJ right now

cool hand
11-10-2008, 02:12 AM
no, everyone on this board saw what was happing this summer. and no one in the local media even calls out POP......pathetic.

holcs50
11-10-2008, 02:38 AM
i mean im usually a positive guy but every once in a while you gotta vent and be down on something and im definitely down on this at the moment. Not saying anything is over but parker with this ankle injury is bad news especially the way he plays-this thing could linger and end up being a gino situation where surgery is needed. As for the team the next month or so-yikes, im not lookin forward to the games-itll be like 96/97 all over again...haha, well not that bad. And now i gotta here from all my socal laker friends about how shitty the spurs are and how good the lakers are which is annoying as hell. I guess good thing is these injuries are happening early and theres plenty of time to get healthy and then gino and park wont have the wear and tear of a whole season come playoff time if we make it. As for TD i just feel bad for him and front office never getting another big guy after Dave to help him out and now he's going to have to be a work horse.

squire
11-10-2008, 02:48 AM
no, everyone on this board saw what was happing this summer. and no one in the local media even calls out POP......pathetic.

True. I've never heard someone grill Pop with hard questions. The media cowers to his glare and will only ask questions like:

"Can you talk about Manu's importance to this team?"

When instead someone should step up to the plate and ask:

"Why are you so cheap yet you keep resigning people like Bonner and Finley to multiyear deals?"

"Who dropped the ball on Scola?"

"Why did you sign Malik Rose and then hate him for no reason?"

SenorSpur
11-10-2008, 02:49 AM
What makes you think Parker and Ginobili aren't bound to suffer more injuries...I've seen this story before, and the gods say we're headed for mediocrity in 2008-2009.

I don't want to see the Spurs hovering around the 8th playoff position. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from mediocrity. There are a boatload of teams have been on that mediocre treadmill for years. They're not quite good enough to succeed in the playoffs, but they're not quite bad enough to garner a significant impact player in the draft because they're drafting in the middle rounds of "shallow" drafts.

Either be really, really good or really, really bad. After all, that's how the Spurs got really well in the 1997 NBA draft.

mattyc
11-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Merely the fact that we've been a successful team and now in a downpatch.

We'll be right but things won't be as rosy as previous years.

Oh, Gee!!
11-10-2008, 01:48 PM
realistically we should be grateful if they get the seven or eight seed this year. it's uphill all the way. so what? we'll cheer the team when they're up and when they're down. doesn't mean we have to lie to ourselves about the current situation.

LEONARD
11-10-2008, 02:07 PM
It's really getting old. If we started the season with a healthy big three and we start 1-4, then I understand the concern. But seriously, how many more times do we need to hear that Matt Bonner and Michael Finley are the worst players in the NBA? Manu hasn't been healthy, Oberto hasn't been healthy...now Parker is out...I'm just wondering how well are we supposed to be with all that going on?

There are 77 more games to be played. The least talented group in the NBA? Says the coach who's doing commentary because his team couldn't win.

Our bench was already thin last year. That's the price of having 3 superstar caliber players. We didn't have that #4 guy that we have this year in Mason.

Vaj

but wait...the Jazz and Mavs are DONE right?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109298
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109297

SenorSpur
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Right. It's best for everyone to be accept the reality of the potential situation that presents itself. The Spurs could very well be in such a hole, standingswise, that it may be too difficult for them to dig out of. It that is the reality, we simply must accept it.

Spur-Addict
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
True. I've never heard someone grill Pop with hard questions. The media cowers to his glare and will only ask questions like:

"Can you talk about Manu's importance to this team?"

When instead someone should step up to the plate and ask:

"Why are you so cheap yet you keep resigning people like Bonner and Finley to multiyear deals?"

"Who dropped the ball on Scola?"

"Why did you sign Malik Rose and then hate him for no reason?"

I not sure if this type of reporter would last long.

I. Hustle
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
How about everybody stick their heads inthe ground and pretend that absolutely nothing is wrong? Let's close our eyes, click our heels and we'll open them and find our team in the NBA Finals.

Or we can bitch and moan about it all season because that is really going to change things. YEAH! The more we pretend to be GM's and the more we demand that Bonner/Finley/Vaughn be traded the more it is going to help because we all know that the FO reads our posts.

Biernutz
11-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Quit Your Bitchin

oT6mecOCsgM

mytespurs
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
While I'm disappointed that the Spurs are starting out slow with injuries, new players, old players.....this season is long and the Spurs should be fine once everyone is back and healthy....we'll just have to be patience and suffer through the bad times for awhile but hopefully it will payoff by the spring.