PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Prepare For Life Without Parker (And Manu Dunks)

duncan228
11-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Spurs prepare for life without Parker (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_prepare_for_life_without_Parker.html)
By Mike Monroe

With an MRI exam confirming the initial diagnosis of a Grade 2 sprain of Spurs point guard Tony Parker's left ankle, the team is preparing to be without the All-Star for four weeks.

Parker rolled the ankle when he landed awkwardly after a drive to the basket with 2:06 remaining in the first quarter of Friday's loss to the Miami Heat at AT&T Center.

Parker's injury leaves the Spurs with only two true point guards, veteran Jacque Vaughn, who did not play in the last two games, and rookie George Hill, who has been playing with a flexible splint on his sprained left thumb.

General manager R.C. Buford did not rule out signing another point guard. Since the Spurs already have the league-maximum 15 players, that would require waiving a player.

“I think right now you'll probably see George get to play a lot,” Buford said, “and we'll continue to evaluate, not only our team but the NBA market, as we go along.”

The Spurs waived veteran point guard Salim Stoudamire, who was injured through most of the pre-season, on Oct. 24. If Stoudamire's strained groin has improved, he would be a prime candidate for addition, particularly since the Spurs guaranteed $200,000 of the $926,000 contract he signed in October.

Manu dunks: While the news about Parker's injury was worse than the Spurs had hoped, they have been encouraged by the progress being made by All-Star guard Manu Ginobili as he rehabilitates his surgically repaired left ankle.

Ginobili ran through a vigorous shooting drill Sunday that included finishing a series of sprints and shots with a sprint down the middle for a catch-and-dunk.

The Spurs have targeted mid-December for Ginobili's return, but there has been speculation he may be ready to play sooner than that.

Buford sidestepped any speculation that Parker's status could affect the timetable for Ginobili's return.

“I don't think we can comment about Manu,” he said, “other than to say he has continued to progress, as has been prescribed.”

ducks
11-09-2008, 11:34 PM
manu needs to be 100% before he plays again

timaios
11-09-2008, 11:52 PM
manu needs to be 100% before he plays again

Ducks, you're so sweet... You take care of Manu. :married:

Cloud786
11-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I hope they both come back the same game, and we go on a 40 game win streak.

peacemaker885
11-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Knowing Pop Manu might be out a bit later than mid december even if he is 100% I think he is always careful even if we are in desperate times.

Exactly. If Manu re-injures that ankle, it would really threaten not only the Spurs but his entire carreer. I don't think Pop, the SPurs and anyone here would want that. Winning is great, but this team has shown, at least in the Pop-Robinson-Duncan era, that its really not the only thing.

Borosai
11-10-2008, 01:35 AM
George Hill!

completely deck
11-10-2008, 01:39 AM
George Hill! ...

*groan*

Is what the rest of us are thinking

MannyIsGod
11-10-2008, 02:44 AM
I hope they don't rush Manu back. That would be a disaster.

mattyc
11-10-2008, 02:51 AM
General manager R.C. Buford did not rule out signing another point guard. Since the Spurs already have the league-maximum 15 players, that would require waiving a player.

“I think right now you'll probably see George get to play a lot,” Buford said, “and we'll continue to evaluate, not only our team but the NBA market, as we go along.”

Interesting quote. Hill and Vaughn could safely do the job for the time being. Can't see them waiving Tolliver or Farmer either...

R.C playing games probably.

Fermixalot
11-10-2008, 02:55 AM
I think this is a potentially good situation as has been said by other level-headed members of the forum who aren't reaching for the alcohol and cliff-diving.

The young guns are going to finally get their chance to play and become comfortable in the system. Hopefully they can continue to show the aggression they showed against Miami, hopefully with different results.

The only thing that could make things worse is the thing we've dreaded every season since the 97-98 season: #21 going down.

If that happens, god forbid, then, and only then, will lottery talk be relevant.

But otherwise, a 40 game win streak seems like a definite possibility when Manu and Tony come back. WHOOOOOOOOO!

Manufan909
11-10-2008, 02:59 AM
I think this is a potentially good situation as has been said by other level-headed members of the forum who aren't reaching for the alcohol and cliff-diving.

The young guns are going to finally get their chance to play and become comfortable in the system. Hopefully they can continue to show the aggression they showed against Miami, hopefully with different results.

The only thing that could make things worse is the thing we've dreaded every season since the 97-98 season: #21 going down.

If that happens, god forbid, then, and only then, will lottery talk be relevant.

But otherwise, a 40 game win streak seems like a definite possibility when Manu and Tony come back. WHOOOOOOOOO!

You had me til the last sentence.:downspin::downspin::downspin:

Ice009
11-10-2008, 06:06 AM
I don't think Manu likes watching this shit. I think he wants to get back out there. I only want him back out there if he's 100%.

temujin
11-10-2008, 07:35 AM
The danger is not that Popovich MIGHT rush Ginobili.

The danger is that Ginobili WILL urge Popovich to play him ASAP.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Is what the rest of us are thinking

Speak for yourself, peanut.

to21
11-10-2008, 10:04 AM
If our front line would perform (minus TD) we should be fine.

The Spur's woes are fixable, it's not too late.

MoSpur
11-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I am kind of excited to see what the young guns can do. I want Hill, Farmer, and Tolliver to step up. I don't expect them to pull of like five or six wins in a row. I do want them to learn the offense and dfense and have confidence so that when it comes to March and April, Pop can put them in against more younger and athletic teams without hesitation.

Bender
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I doubt there will be any "garbage time" for the young guys to play in for a while, so they should all be getting major minutes the next few weeks. I mean, might as well...

m33p0
11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Speak for yourself, peanut.
he pertains to himself in the plural form.

T Park
11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Personally I can't wait to see what George Hill does with 28 plus minutes a game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Manu needs to hold off dunking for a bit I think. I don't want him getting hurt. But he is, SuperMan-u.

Manufan909
11-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Personally I can't wait to see what George Hill does with 28 plus minutes a game.

And Tolliver, and Farmer. Also, I'd like to see what Fin can do inactive. The inactive roster should be 13-TP, 14-Manu, 15-Fin. Ian will just be the 12th man who is still healing.

Bender
11-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Also, I'd like to see what Fin can do inactive
the same as he does when active...

DPG21920
11-10-2008, 03:34 PM

I am not expecting much, but if he can bring energy (especially defensively) and take care of the ball then I will be happy.

Allanon
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
One of the best things about Manu is that he dunks. And this in turn fires up the team and the fans which can change the momentum of a game.

I've always felt that not enough Spurs dunk the ball.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2008, 04:05 PM
One of the best things about Manu is that he dunks. And this in turn fires up the team and the fans which can change the momentum of a game.

I've always felt that not enough Spurs dunk the ball.

That's because not enough Spurs CAN dunk the ball.

T Park
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
That's because not enough Spurs CAN dunk the ball.

Oh step away from the sharp objects already.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Step away from the keyboard

mytespurs
11-10-2008, 07:07 PM
The danger is not that Popovich MIGHT rush Ginobili.

The danger is that Ginobili WILL urge Popovich to play him ASAP.

Agreed!!! Hopefully Pop will remain strong and not allow Manu back into the lineup until he's cleared to play.