PDA

View Full Version : Udonis Haslem

Biggems
11-09-2008, 11:52 PM
I have read somewhere, that I cannot remember, that a while back we were highly interested in him. In fact, didn't we have him on our summer league roster? I heard we were looking to possibly trade for him?

I am not trying to start rumors or anything. I am just curious as to the validity of the past reports and inquiries into Haslem. Was he really considered in trade rumors with the Spurs? What were the alleged parameters of the deal?

mattyc
11-10-2008, 02:37 AM
He played Summer League with us a few years back.

mrspurs
11-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Well at least when they talk about Kurts 15ft shot and Udonis's 15ft shot. Udonis makes his. With Kurt thats all it is. Just talk. At this point of their careers easily udonis>kurt

Allanon
11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Miami has been trying to unload Udonis Haslem this year because he plays Beasley's position and they've made it clear that Beasley's the future with Wade.

The trade will probably happen before the deadline but the Heat would look for a young Center in return (no, not Bonner)

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2008, 02:59 PM
The trade will probably happen before the deadline but the Heat would look for a young Center in return (no, not Bonner)

I could see that, but I'd note that if the Heat could rid themselves of Haslem's contract and get back about the same in expiring contracts, they would have enough capspace (with Marion's free agency) to think seriously about a run at a max-level player or at least a high value guy who could fill a role. 2009 won't be a great free agent class, but with everyone building towards runs at players in 2010, a team with capspace this coming summer might meet little resistance in trying to fill its needs with quality players.

timvp
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
He played Summer League with us a few years back.True. He had a really good summer league showing but the Spurs didn't want to offer him guaranteed money because they were saving it for Kidd. The Heat swooped in, guaranteed him a couple hundred thousand and the rest is history.

That Kidd fiasco cost the Spurs an ungodly amount of talent and assets . . .

BOHOLANO#21
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I have read somewhere, that I cannot remember, that a while back we were highly interested in him. In fact, didn't we have him on our summer league roster? I heard we were looking to possibly trade for him?

I am not trying to start rumors or anything. I am just curious as to the validity of the past reports and inquiries into Haslem. Was he really considered in trade rumors with the Spurs? What were the alleged parameters of the deal?

Yup. HASLEM was in the SPURS summer league roster for a couple of games before miami heat signed him up for a guaranteed contract. i doubt if the spurs want to trade for him. FO traded scola who plays the same way like haslem, so i doubt it.

Allanon
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I could see that, but I'd note that if the Heat could rid themselves of Haslem's contract and get back about the same in expiring contracts, they would have enough capspace (with Marion's free agency) to think seriously about a run at a max-level player or at least a high value guy who could fill a role. 2009 won't be a great free agent class, but with everyone building towards runs at players in 2010, a team with capspace this coming summer might meet little resistance in trying to fill its needs with quality players.

I could see that happening but I believe if they're just trying to get rid of contract space, Miami will wait closer to the deadline to see if they're going to the Playoffs or not this year.

I'm not sure if the Spurs can wait that long to pull the trigger. If they're looking for some more help, I'm guessing they'll go get some this month. Come January/February, there might be too much damage to fix with a Udonis Haslem.

However, like you said, if the Spurs can stay afloat into January and the Heat aren't doing well, I'd betcha you can can get Haslem for a couple expiring contracts and a bag of chips.

m33p0
11-10-2008, 09:55 PM
True. He had a really good summer league showing but the Spurs didn't want to offer him guaranteed money because they were saving it for Kidd. The Heat swooped in, guaranteed him a couple hundred thousand and the rest is history.

But it pushed Parker to become better than he was and made him commit to improve even more. It's a wash at best.

Biggems
11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
btw......i was not talking about trading for Haslem this season....i was talking about trading for him a couple of years ago......at least those were the rumors I was hearing....

i was asking if those rumors were actually true and if so, who were we looking to trade back then for Haslem....i know some in here have some really good info from previous possible trades.

like I said, I am just curious.

Biggems
11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
True. He had a really good summer league showing but the Spurs didn't want to offer him guaranteed money because they were saving it for Kidd. The Heat swooped in, guaranteed him a couple hundred thousand and the rest is history.

Besides Haslem and Barbosa....who else did it cost us?

Cloud786
11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Josh Howard.

Biggems
11-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Josh Howard.

we took Barbosa for PHX.....but I firmly believe, especially cause of Duncan, we would have taken Josh Howard.