PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a recommendation for a good gunsmith?

AlamoSpursFan
11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Just got ahold of my grandfather's Remington Model 11 shotgun, which according to www.oldguns.net was made in August 1938.

It's still in very good condition, but the recoil pad is shot, the stock is scratched and the bluing could stand to be redone. I also did some research and found that the friction ring may need replacing.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I've used Dury's recently with pretty good results.

fatsack
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
I've used Dury's recently with pretty good results.

I would recommend them also.
I've taken several of my firearms there and have always had good luck.

Bender
11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I've never been to Dury's (for shopping / buying)... should I make the trip? I live on the far northside, and just never made it all the way down to Dury's. I've got a couple of items on my want list, before obama tells me I can't anymore

leemajors
11-10-2008, 06:46 PM
you might want to be careful firing that with modern rounds when it is repaired. I think that's more of an issue with the older Ithica Shotguns. My grandfather had one, but i can't fire it with modern rounds cause it will mess up the coils in the barrel.

AlamoSpursFan
11-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks! I was leaning towards Dury's anyways since they're the closest to me and have been in business forever. Think I'll give them a shot, so to speak.

I had some work done on my deer rifle (Winchester Model 100, .308) at Don's when they were at Perrin Beitel and 410, and was pretty happy with the results, but I thought they went out of business. A friend told me that they are at Fred Rd. and 410 now, but he also highly recommended Dury's.

I had wondered about the modern rounds thing with the Mod. 11, but apparently it's only an issue if you shoot a lot of high brass, and I don't usually.

Bender
11-11-2008, 07:36 AM
The Don's on Fred./410 is different than the Don's on Perrin Beitel.
Don's on PB went out of business a long time ago (they were very expensive IIRC). Don on Fred/410 has been there forever, and he is very old now, but still going.

Don on Fred/410 has been recommended as a gunsmith to me previously (by a gun store owner). Supposedly he can do anything to any gun...
I have never used him, so I can't say.

CosmicCowboy
11-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I've never been to Dury's (for shopping / buying)... should I make the trip? I live on the far northside, and just never made it all the way down to Dury's. I've got a couple of items on my want list, before obama tells me I can't anymore

I don't know that their gun prices are particularly good...The last couple of guns I bought I found on the internet and had shipped to a local guy with a FFL for the paperwork.

Bender
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
my next purchase I'm thinking about trying Bud's Guns on the web, and getting a local
FFL to transfer it for me, for $20.

I. Hustle
11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I know an 8 year old that's pretty handy with the steel if you know what I mean