PDA

View Full Version : Owens angry again as Erickson's Niners resemble Mooch's crew

ducks
09-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Owens angry again as Erickson's Niners resemble Mooch's crew

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
September 22, 2003

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Francisco 49ers are getting booed by their home fans for their timid, inconsistent offensive play. Terrell Owens is throwing tantrums and demanding the ball, while Jeff Garcia can't seem to complete anything but a short pass.

But nobody can blame Steve Mariucci for the latest edition of this familiar San Francisco treat.

San Francisco is off to a 1-2 start following a humiliating 13-12 home loss to Cleveland on Sunday -- but the traditional panic over the stagnant offense already is in late-season form. Coach Dennis Erickson still hasn't figured out how to deliver the offensive fireworks he promised when he took over the 49ers.

After three weeks, the new 49ers haven't looked any more dangerous or dominant than the old 49ers -- and Owens wants answers. San Francisco's All-Pro receiver criticized the coaching staff and the injury-plagued offensive line in a postgame rant after catching eight passes for 90 yards against the Browns.

``I feel for all I've done from being double-teamed to going one-on-one, I'm still a playmaker,'' Owens said. ``I don't think (the coaches) realize the talent I have. All I can do is keep running my routes. ... It's my job to run routes and catch the ball. It's their job to know the personnel on the field. It's their job to know who the playmakers are and to design the plays.''

On Monday, the coaches and linemen all shied away from addressing Owens' pointed comments. The line is missing starters Derrick Deese and Eric Heitmann because of ankle injuries, and Garcia got spotty protection.

``I'm running wide open, but Jeff can't get me the ball because he's on the run,'' said Owens, who will be a free agent after the season. ``Everybody knows this is the West Coast offense, and it's all about timing. It starts with protection. We can't get any protection, we can't stay in the pocket to throw down the field.''

New kicker Owen Pochman scored the 49ers' points on four field goals. They were held without a touchdown for the first time since Nov. 29, 1999 -- shortly before Garcia became San Francisco's starting quarterback for good.

There's a bit of logic behind Owens' pronouncements and the fans' vocal anger: With a visit to 3-0 Minnesota looming, San Francisco's season could be in big trouble in a hurry.

The defending NFC West champions already trail Seattle by two games in the division standings -- and the early weeks were supposed to be the easier part of San Francisco's schedule.

This turmoil is sadly intriguing to Erickson, who inherited a team with few expectations in Seattle and nearly led it to respectability in his only previous NFL experience.

In Santa Clara, where five Super Bowl trophies sit in the lobby at team headquarters, even winning isn't enough -- as Mariucci discovered when owner John York fired him after consecutive playoff seasons. The 49ers' front office and their fans still expect dominance and flair; winning is considered a given.

``If I dwell on it, I start feeling sorry for myself,'' Erickson said. ``That isn't being a good leader. That is not the best leadership role. We have 13 football games left. Sometimes after you lose two straight, you feel like you've played 15 of them, but this season is a long way from being over. We have to rally the troops.''

So far, Owens hasn't had any feuds with Erickson -- but Owens yelled at Greg Knapp, the 49ers' longtime offensive coordinator, on the sideline Sunday. Erickson will watch Owens' comments in the future, but given his star's near-total media boycott, it might be the least of Erickson's problems.

``You know T.O.,'' Erickson said. ``He becomes very emotional. That's the way he is. I have learned to deal with that. I don't think he meant anything personal with it. That is just how he is. He voiced his opinion, and now we must go on.''link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-struggling49ers&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Pooh
09-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Owens blew up again today in the loss against the Vikings. Memo to Terrell...shut your mouth and just play.

SAmikeyp
09-29-2003, 12:30 AM
No shit.