PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Thomas Trade - 1st Round Spurs Pick in 2009

PeterBurns
11-10-2008, 11:46 PM
I know that the Spurs gave up the 1st Rounder in the Thomas deal to Seattle, but does anyone know how it's protected regarding draft slot?

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2008, 11:48 PM
It's lottery protected

Spur-Addict
11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
It's lottery protected

Indeed it is. What will be interesting is how the record looks at the end of December.

PeterBurns
11-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Okay draft experts. If it is Lottery protected, then what happens the following year. Does it become a 2010 pick that's unprotected?

Thanks in advance

MaNu4Tres
11-11-2008, 12:01 AM
2009 first round draft pick to Seattle
San Antonio's own 2009 1st round pick to Seattle (top 15 protected in the 2009 Draft, top 10 protected in 2010, top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected in 2012, and unprotected in the 2013 Draft). [San Antonio - Seattle, 2/20/2008]

Therefore there could be a possibilty the Thunder won't see our pick til 2013.

PeterBurns
11-11-2008, 12:04 AM
2009 first round draft pick to Seattle
San Antonio's own 2009 1st round pick to Seattle (top 15 protected in the 2009 Draft, top 10 protected in 2010, top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected in 2012, and unprotected in the 2013 Draft). [San Antonio - Seattle, 2/20/2008]

Therefore their could be a possibilty the Thunder won't see our pick til 2013.

Nicely done sir...thanks

Thompson
11-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Okay draft experts. If it is Lottery protected, then what happens the following year. Does it become a 2010 pick that's unprotected?

Thanks in advance

Top 15 protected in 2009 (so I suppose it's possible we could make the 8th seed and still keep our pick this year if the east's 8th seed had a better record than we did, which is unlikely; everything would have to fall into place, but if it happened by chance that might be the best scenario for the team).

Top 10 protected in 2010, top 5 in 2011, top 3 in 2012, unprotected in 2013.

http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

Steve-O-Matic
11-11-2008, 02:03 AM
It's best that the Spurs forfeit the pick in the 2009 draft, even if its at #16 or 17, because it projects to be one of the worst drafts in a very, very long time.

mrspurs
11-11-2008, 08:01 AM
It's best that the Spurs forfeit the pick in the 2009 draft, even if its at #16 or 17, because it projects to be one of the worst drafts in a very, very long time.

Even if thats true. If we had a top 10 pick, and throw in some kind of mix. There are plenty of teams who have Bigs that we could use. Bigs who are young and are on teams that could use a top 10 pick. Just because our player isnt in the draft doesnt mean he's not on someother teams.

exstatic
11-11-2008, 08:29 AM

The player at 16 or 17 in a crappy draft will almost always be better than the player at 28 or 29 in a good draft. Thank God you're not the GM.

Biggems
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
im confused about this lottery protected stuff....

does it mean we have to suck to keep the pick, or does it mean we have to avoid the lottery to keep the pick?

Gino2882
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM
im confused about this lottery protected stuff....

does it mean we have to suck to keep the pick, or does it mean we have to avoid the lottery to keep the pick?

The Spurs would have to miss the playoffs in order to get a lottery pick. So basically if the Spurs make the playoffs they lose the pick, if they don't make the playoffs they keep the pick. There is an unlikely scenario previously pointed out where the Spurs could get the 8th seed, etc. and keep the pick.

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 10:30 AM
With their history of lottery luck, it'd be interesting to see where they would end up, if such a scenario were to occur. If nothing else, it would make for great theater.

DMX7
11-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Thomas is looking completely washed up.

SenorSpur
11-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Thomas is looking completely washed up.

Horry 2.0

DMX7
11-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Horry 2.0

And we're paying him another 4 million next season too.

Anti.Hero
11-15-2008, 02:50 AM
I didn't think Love or Lopez would do shit in the NBA, but they are still better than most our bigs.

SenorSpur
11-15-2008, 03:10 AM

Shit :bang

Pop and RC really screwed the pooch on this one. They acted like they had just won the FA sweepstakes when the resigned KT over the summer. I'm quite surprised he's been this bad. Looks like his game in on life support.

SpurSupremacist
11-15-2008, 03:50 AM
The front office strikes again.

angelbelow
11-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Shit :bang

Pop and RC really screwed the pooch on this one. They acted like they had just won the FA sweepstakes when the resigned KT over the summer. I'm quite surprised he's been this bad. Looks like his game in on life support.

i disagree, i think thomas is pretty valuable, hes just hurt right now.

Manufan909
11-15-2008, 06:14 AM
He's showing signs of life, but going against Yao will make almost anyone look bad, besides Timmy.

TJastal
11-15-2008, 06:48 AM
In order to get some frontline help, I wonder what you guys think of this trade - seeing as George Hill looks like the real deal after the rockets game.

Spurs trade: Tony Parker

Warriors trade: Andres Biedrins, Kelenna Azuibuike

Not sure if the salaries would match up right off hand, but Biedrins would be a great anchor in the paint that would allow Duncan to move to his natural PF position, and Azubuike is an up and coming hustle type player that makes plays, rebounds extremely well and has a knack for creating his own shot and scoring around the rim, something the spurs could use.

This would put alot of pressure on George Hill but I think the kid has a bright future.

Thoughts?

TJastal
11-15-2008, 07:12 AM
If that trade somehow materialized, on paper the spurs would look like

C Biedrins, Thomas/Oberto
PF Duncan, Tolliver/Bonner
SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
SG Ginobili, Mason/Finley
PG Hill, Vaughn

I'm just speculating that this trade would help, maybe it would mess with the chemistry of the team too much, I don't know, but I love Azubuike's game, he's been scoring 20 pts a game off the bench for Golden State and Biedrins is a dominant force in the paint that the spurs need BADLY to be able to match up with the bigger teams of the west. I think the spurs would miss Parker's offense somewhat, but if Hill continues to play as he did against the rockets, that is enough.

Point guard would be shaky if Hill loses confidence or gets hurt, but then again, Mason can step into that role if needed as insurance, so...

What I love seeing about this lineup is Oberto, Thomas, Bonner, Finley and Udoka all 3rd stringers. lol

TJastal
11-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Looks like Biedrins is 7.9m if my info is correct, Azubuike 2.9 = 10.8m

Parker is 11.5

Maybe Biedrins / Azubuike + draft pick gets it done

K-State Spur
11-15-2008, 07:41 AM

but next year, it'll be an expiring contract. should be able to move Thomas + Bonner for talent.

phxspurfan
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM

SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
PG Hill, Vaughn

Just looking at that lineup makes me want to gag...no thanks :flag:

mrspurs
11-15-2008, 09:01 AM
We're not finished touching up Tonys house yet. We almost finished with evas new closet, dont piss her off. Wait for him to finish his house before yall trade him. Thats right all yall haters. If yall only knew...........

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2008, 09:06 AM
trade parker

and have vaughn backup pg? great back to stage 1 at the beginning of last season...

SenorSpur
11-15-2008, 09:07 AM

SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
PG Hill, Vaughn

I'm just speculating that this trade would help, maybe it would mess with the chemistry of the team too much, I don't know, but I love Azubuike's game, he's been scoring 20 pts a game off the bench for Golden State and Biedrins is a dominant force in the paint that the spurs need BADLY to be able to match up with the bigger teams of the west. I think the spurs would miss Parker's offense somewhat, but if Hill continues to play as he did against the rockets, that is enough.

Point guard would be shaky if Hill loses confidence or gets hurt, but then again, Mason can step into that role if needed as insurance, so...

What I love seeing about this lineup is Oberto, Thomas, Bonner, Finley and Udoka all 3rd stringers. lol

We just gotten ourselves a bonafide backup PG (Hill) and now you want to promote him to a starter and ship out our all-star PG (Parker)? Why? Makes absolutely no sense.

SenorSpur
11-15-2008, 09:08 AM
but next year, it'll be an expiring contract. should be able to move Thomas + Bonner for talent.

So there is yet another year left on Bonner's contract too? :bang

SenorSpur
11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
i disagree, i think thomas is pretty valuable, hes just hurt right now.

Disagree. His movements are slow and plodding, as though he's stuck in the mud. Dude has zero lift, his positioning has been questionable and isn't rebounding with the ferocity that he once did. It seems that he can barely bend down to track a loose ball. I hope I'm wrong about him and his game does pick up. However from what I've seen, he looks like he's toast.

mrspurs
11-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Disagree. His movements are slow and plodding, as though he's stuck in the mud. Dude has zero lift, his positioning has been questionable and isn't rebounding with the ferocity that he once did. It seems that he can barely bend down to track a loose ball. I hope I'm wrong about him and his game does pick up. However from what I've seen, he looks like he's toast.

He is playing with a injury but your right. He's a has been. He was brought in to beat the Suns last season. And after that he didnt do much. And it should be to noones surprise that he doesnt do much this season as well. He hasnt done anything yet. Just wait till the POs come around. Thats when he really looks bad. Which makes Ians return to the D-league even more stranger. If Ian cant take a few minutes off Kurt? On a team that could use every little bit of help in the paint. Its a joke.:wow

Biggems
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
so is there anyone FRANCHISE quality who would be worth missing the playoffs.......and I am talking a big man.....in the mold of Robinson or Duncan? If not, I say we just screw the lottery and go win the damn OBrien again.

Bartleby
11-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Looks like Biedrins is 7.9m if my info is correct, Azubuike 2.9 = 10.8m

Parker is 11.5

Maybe Biedrins / Azubuike + draft pick gets it done

Trade one of the top three point guards in the NBA while he is in his prime for two solid role players? No fucking thanks.

caŽlo
11-15-2008, 11:16 AM
In order to get some frontline help, I wonder what you guys think of this trade - seeing as George Hill looks like the real deal after the rockets game.

Spurs trade: Tony Parker

Warriors trade: Andres Biedrins, Kelenna Azuibuike

Not sure if the salaries would match up right off hand, but Biedrins would be a great anchor in the paint that would allow Duncan to move to his natural PF position, and Azubuike is an up and coming hustle type player that makes plays, rebounds extremely well and has a knack for creating his own shot and scoring around the rim, something the spurs could use.

This would put alot of pressure on George Hill but I think the kid has a bright future.

Thoughts?

good thing youre not the spurs gm.

wildchild
11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I've said before. I like Thomas but 4.200.000 this year for 1-7 FGM of KT. Great deal!

TJastal
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Trade one of the top three point guards in the NBA while he is in his prime for two solid role players? No fucking thanks.

I beg to differ.

The two role players are star quality starters. If you haven't been paying attention, Biedrins is a 7 footer coming into this prime tied for the league lead in rebounding with Dwight Howard, 19th in blocked shots, 18th in FG%. Last year he led the entire league in FG%. Imagine that, a big guy that can finish around the paint, paired with Tim Duncan!

Azubuike has all-star potential. The spurs need a young stud like this who will do all the intangibles that Malik Rose once did PLUS give you 18-20 ppg on top of it.

I love Parker's game when he's healthy but George Hill is showing he has the potential to start in this league, and his potential is more than we first thought. His defense will be better than TP's by a long shot. I think this trade makes perfect sense, it fills two gaping holes the spurs have had for
years, and if Hill continues to play as well as he did against Houston, they lose very little. IMO.

exstatic
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
But that also means that the Thunder own our first round draft pick untill it is mathmatically impossible for us to make the playoffs. By that time the trade deadline will have passed. So we can't trade the draft pick.

We also can't trade the 2010 pick. You cannot trade your actual first round pick two years in a row, which is why the Spurs usually make a deal over the phone, pick the player, then trade the player on draft night when they want to dump their pick. It gives them the flexibility to deal their pick during the next season, if need be.

Bartleby
11-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I beg to differ.

The two role players are star quality starters. If you haven't been paying attention, Biedrins is a 7 footer coming into this prime tied for the league lead in rebounding with Dwight Howard, 19th in blocked shots, 18th in FG%. Last year he led the entire league in FG%. Imagine that, a big guy that can finish around the paint, paired with Tim Duncan!

He also averages more rebounds and more blocks per game than Duncan. Maybe the Spurs should look for a way to trade Duncan for Biedrins and keep Parker.

I love Parker's game when he's healthy but George Hill is showing he has the potential to start in this league, and his potential is more than we first thought. His defense will be better than TP's by a long shot. I think this trade makes perfect sense, it fills two gaping holes the spurs have had for
years, and if Hill continues to play as well as he did against Houston, they lose very little. IMO.

funny to see you so high on Hill when you seemed to suggest the pick was a waste this summer.

TJastal
11-15-2008, 12:40 PM
He also averages more rebounds and more blocks per game than Duncan. Maybe the Spurs should look for a way to trade Duncan for Biedrins and keep Parker.

You'd give up Duncan over Parker?? Maybe if we had a young PF/C of George Hill's caliber waiting in the wings to take over. But even that is iffy. Duncan is a top 10 player of all time, and still has a lot left in the tank.

Bartleby
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
You'd give up Duncan over Parker?? Maybe if we had a young PF/C of George Hill's caliber waiting in the wings to take over. But even that is iffy. Duncan is a top 10 player of all time, and still has a lot left in the tank.

Should I highlight my post so you can get the sarcasm?

exstatic
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Should I highlight my post so you can get the sarcasm?

Use the blue text.

Biedrins finishes in the paint because he can't finish anywhere else. He's an athletic garbageman. He's Kelvin Cato, minus the tan. You absolutely do NOT trade All Stars for mediocre talent, and both Beidrins and Azabuike qualify as such.

Tully365
11-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I like Azubuike too but the Spurs already have their version of him in Roger Mason.

So far, this year:

Mason
13.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.4 apg, 34.9 mpg

Azubuike
15.9 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.8 apg, 35.7 mpg

I think that once Tony and Manu come back, the rebounding and all around play of both Mason and Hill will be extremely valuable, giving the Spurs a second unit that can hold and extend leads. Eventually I see Hill getting some minutes at SG alongside Parker and Mason on the court at the same time as Manu. I still have reasonable hopes for Mahinmi once he is healthy-- if he can play good defense and put up modest numbers like 8 pts/4-5 rebounds per game, the Spurs will be in good shape. Depending on Mahinmi's progress, Thomas and/or Oberto could be used as trade bait since both have limited years on their deals. And next year, James Gist will likely join the team.

duncan228
11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
OKC Thunder: Keep an eye on the Spurs (http://newsok.com/okc-thunder-keep-an-eye-on-the-spurs/article/3322154)
NBA Thunder gets San Antonio’s first-round pick only if it makes playoffs
By Mike Baldwin

San Antonio is 3-5.

Is it possible the Spurs might miss the playoffs?

Thunder fans should be interested whether the Spurs are still playing in late April. Very interested.

Oklahoma City has San Antonio’s first-round draft pick after trading Kurt Thomas to the Spurs in February.

But there’s an asterisk. It’s a "protected” first-round pick.

The Thunder gets the Spurs’ first-round pick only if they make the playoffs. If San Antonio misses the playoffs Oklahoma City receives the Spurs’ first-round pick in 2010.

Confused what to root for? Thunder fans want the Spurs to make the playoffs... barely. That way Oklahoma City would get the Spurs first-round selection midway through the first round.

The Spurs have concerns. Ankle injuries will sideline Manu Ginobili until mid-December and Tony Parker the rest of this month. San Antonio’s legendary suffocating defense hasn’t suffocated anyone the first three weeks.

But don’t be too quick to dismiss the Spurs. There’s a reason future Hall of Famer Tim Duncan has a fistful of championships rings.

San Antonio won NBA titles in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007. Spurs fans are hopeful their odd-number-year magic will continue with another title in 2009.

But three weeks into the season, there’s a buzz the unthinkable might happen. The Spurs could miss the playoffs.

That’s highly doubtful.

Ginobili and Parker will return. Even if there’s some catching-up to do, it might not take the usual 45-plus wins to qualify in the West where Dallas and Golden State don’t look like they’ll match last year’s records. For a change, a .500 record might be enough to get in.

The real question probably is how many games San Antonio wins which would determine whether Oklahoma City’s pick via the Spurs is as high as No. 17 or the 22nd, 23rd or 24th selection.

Will the Spurs’ early-season hole continue to dig deeper? Can Duncan and company win enough games through the holidays that San Antonio is still in position for a high seed when Ginobili and Parker return? Is there any chance the Spurs miss the playoffs?

The Thunder has something riding on the outcome of those questions.

wildbill2u
11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Take a look at Thomas's career stats by year for the last five years on NBA.com. Do you see a trend, my friends.

SenorSpur
11-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Based upon what we're seeing this season from KT, I regret they ever offered up a 1st round pick for KT. A 2nd maybe, but a 1st? No way.

m33p0
11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
I beg to differ.

Azubuike has all-star potential. The spurs need a young stud like this who will do all the intangibles that Malik Rose once did PLUS give you 18-20 ppg on top of it.

trading away all-star talent because you have potential on hand is dumb especially if that potential doesn't have the potential to become an all-star. please stop speculating unless you find a way to trade bonner, vaughn and finley without breaking up the core.

m33p0
11-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Based upon what we're seeing this season from KT, I regret they ever offered up a 1st round pick for KT. A 2nd maybe, but a 1st? No way.
Spurs got suckered in by Thomas. So did we fans. admit it. i was.

phxspurfan
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I love Parker's game when he's healthy but George Hill is showing he has the potential to start in this league, and his potential is more than we first thought. His defense will be better than TP's by a long shot.

You don't trade a known all-star (potential HOF) quantity in TP for an athletic role player who can't shoot FTs and a dime-a-dozen swingman roleplayer.

TP has also been one of the most durable PGs in the league, especially considering how much punishment he takes when he goes for those stunt layups.

Finally, which one of Azibuke, Beidrins, Parker would you want with the ball with the game on the line? Role players get you through quarters 1-3, but stars win the games.

DMX7
11-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Parker isn't usually injured. It's Hill that had been getting injured throughout his life.

Cry Havoc
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM

SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
PG Hill, Vaughn

Wow. Trading Parker.

Wow.

DMX7
11-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow. Trading Parker.

Wow.

Don't take that seriously. That's beyond "speculation". Besides, George Hill and Jacque Vaughn won't have a 55 point 10 assist game combined untill the day they buy NBA Live 2009 and program the other team to only have 4 players.

ClingingMars
11-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Don't take that seriously. That's beyond "speculation". Besides, George Hill and Jacque Vaughn won't have a 55 point 10 assist game combined untill the day they buy NBA Live 2009 and program the other team to only have 4 players.

hell I can't even get a 35 pt game with Parker on NBA 2K9. the temptation to go to Duncan is too much :o

-Mars

phxspurfan
11-17-2008, 03:59 AM
Can somebody drop 55 with Oberto and post a screencap??