PDA

View Full Version : Peter Vescey: Chris Kaman available for the right price

Allanon
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
This was mentioned in a larger deal between the Bobcats (Gerald Wallace?) and the Clippers. Vescey does get alot of info, I believe he was the first one to break news of the Jason Kidd trade last year:

The centerpiece it does involve, I'm informed, is Chris Kaman. Now that Marcus Camby (double-figure rebounding last two games) is nearing full strength, the 1-6 Clippers are open to a rational market trade for the big guy who has battened down their middle for five seasons and is owed $43 million over four seasons.

Seems like the Bobcats aren't willing to trade anything the Clippers want. So maybe the Spurs have something to offer?

Read the full article here if you like.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11112008/sports/moresports/getting_cat_ty_in_n_c__138157.htm?page=0
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

edit: added original NY Post link

urunobili
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
damn that'd be Pop's dream come true...

xellos88330
11-11-2008, 12:11 PM
How is Kaman's agility? I haven't watched him play that much.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Kaman is young, only 25 or so. He moves well for a 7 footer, probably one of the quicker 7 footers. He's a scoring Center but plays decent defense.

He makes $10 million a year. For comparison, Eric Dampier makes about the same $$ but is slower and older. However, Dampier's a better defender.

Kaman is probably a top 10 NBA center...closer to 5 than 10.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Kaman looks good in the proper matchup, but sometimes he gets abused. $43M over four years is a pretty steep investment for him I think.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Kaman looks good in the proper matchup, but sometimes he gets abused. $43M over four years is a pretty steep investment for him I think.

He'd be better than anything we've had post Robinson.

xtremesteven33
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
The only knock on Kaman is his low basketball IQ. He has the talent but does he have the saavy it takes to excell in the spurs system....what am i saying, hes not coming here....

jjktkk
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM

Not a great athlete, but moves well for a big man. Kaman is good for a double double every night. Good, not great defender, who can block shots and protect the rim. Very good low post scorer. Not sure about his jump shot ability. Kaman is probably one of the top ten centers in the league. IMO Kaman would be a great pickup by the Spurs(dreamin). A lot of teams would be estatic to get him.

timvp
11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
rational

Bonner + Vaughn + Thomas + Used Tractor != Rational

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 12:25 PM
He'd be better than anything we've had post Robinson.

Amen. Don't know how doable it would be, but he is truly better than anything we have to pair up with Duncan now.

tlongII
11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Vecsey is an idiot. I've never seen him break any news.

kace
11-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Not a great athlete, but moves well for a big man. Kaman is good for a double double every night. Good, not great defender, who can block shots and protect the rim. Very good low post scorer. Not sure about his jump shot ability. Kaman is probably one of the top ten centers in the league. IMO Kaman would be a great pickup by the Spurs(dreamin). A lot of teams would be estatic to get him.

yes. basically what scola brings and we had it for one third of Kaman's salary.

anyway, 10 M is still a good price for him, but probably more than what the spurs want/can give.

baseline bum
11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Kaman is a pipe dream. The Spurs would have to trade Parker or Ginobili to get him.

ambchang
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Kaman plays terrible defense, limited fundamentals, low basketball IQ. That said, he is about 100x better than any Spurs big man not named Duncan.

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Which brings up an interesting question for the masses

Would you rather have a player with high BBIQ and minimal to low skills (i.e. Oberto) or a player that has good skills, puts up good stats, but with a fairly low BBIQ (i.e. Kaman)?

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Kaman is a pipe dream. The Spurs would have to trade Parker or Ginobili to get him.

Kaman isn't worth either, they'd have to give up more than Kaman.

hater
11-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree about Vecsey being an idiot

hater
11-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Mahinmi will be > Kaman

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Would you rather have a player with high BBIQ and minimal to low skills (i.e. Oberto) or a player that has good skills, puts up good stats, but with a fairly low BBIQ (i.e. Kaman)?

Production of the more skilled player if the plus minus is better, over limited skills with high I.Q. It doesn't matter how smart he is, his body can only do so much. It's not like Kaman is as dumb as a rock either. Sure he looks like that guy from Scary Movie with the small hand, but he can ball, plus he's a good guy. He'd ft in. We've had alot worse.

What happens when you encounter someone with a good I.Q and skills? Trouble on the horizon. And often, a higher skill level out performs the low skill smarter player anyways. So i'd rather have someone who can punch back a bit. And, HE CAN FINISH IN THE POST!

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Mahinmi will be > Kaman

One can only hope, I hope that is correct. :toast

Allanon
11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think Mahinmi will ever be as good a Center as Kaman, he's just too skinny and has a hard time adding weight. I think he's around 220 pounds, 6'11 right now.

But he'd be a great power forward if he can refine his mid-range shooting.

FlAVaK
11-11-2008, 12:58 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1996~83~2805~1982~3018&teams=12~12~12~24~24&te=&cash=

Obviously, it would be better to trade Fin and Kurt instead of Bruce and Fabricio, but they can`t be traded until Dec. 15.

And this would be a major cut into the 2010-Plan!

But gettin` a guy averaging a Double-Double next to Timmy NOW might be worth it...

mountainballer
11-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Vecsey is an idiot. I've never seen him break any news.

enough said.
this rumor is just made up by him.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 01:01 PM
It seems to lean a bit too much in Spurs favor, but that's not a bad looking trade scenario. Steve Novak is GREAT filler.

It would also return a veteran Center/PF back to the Clippers and give them salary relief for 2010.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't think Mahinmi will ever be as good a Center as Kaman, he's just too skinny and has a hard time adding weight. But he'd be a great power forward if he can refine his mid-range shooting.

Was Amare effective before he had a consistent jumper? Yes. Was K.G? Yes. I think things take time, but he can be effective initially without having a consistent jumper. A jumper is a nice addition, but it's not a requirement. He's 250 LBS....Alot of players are effective in the post around that weight. Some even less.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
As for Vescey, I think he broke both the Kidd trade and the recent Chauncey Billups trade.

His commentary is often idiotic but his trade rumors aren't bad at all.

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
If the Spurs don't get their shit together now, there likely wont be any use for a 2010 plan. Besides, they're not going to snag LeBron, Wade, Kobe, or even Bosh. Hell, we can't get free agent to come to the Alamo City even during bear market free agency periods. Why would they come in 2 years, when the number of teams in the FA market will be significant?

Allanon
11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Was Amare effective before he had a consistent jumper? Yes. Was K.G? Yes. I think things take time, but he can be effective initially without having a consistent jumper. A jumper is a nice addition, but it's not a requirement. He's 250 LBS....Alot of players are effective in the post around that weight. Some even less.

When did he hit 250 pounds? You sure about this?

At 250 pounds, he's fine as a Center, but last time I saw he was still pretty scrawny.

As for the shooting, he can be effective without a mid-range, but I said "great" power forward, he'll need to get an outside shot to hit that.

tlongII
11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
As for Vescey, I think he broke both the Kidd trade and the recent Chauncey Billups trade.

I doubt that. I would have to look it up to be certain though.

mexicanjunior
11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Kaman is a better version of Rasho, someone you can consistently get a double double from. He would be the best big man alongside Duncan since probably Robinson's last year. If the Spurs could make the trade happen, he would be well worth it...

hater
11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Vecsey is full of BS. He did NOT break any real big trades in the last couple of years. He's been wrong on a bunch though

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM

When did he hit 250 pounds? You sure about this?

At 250 pounds, he's fine as a Center, but last time I saw he was still pretty scrawny.

As for the shooting, he can be effective without a mid-range, but I said "great" power forward, he'll need to get an outside shot to hit that.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108632&highlight=Mahinmi+interview

It says he's two thirty on the spur roster page, but this was a while ago, before this interview. I'm sure Bruno could give a more in depth analysis.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/

mrspurs
11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I just dont see the spurs wanting to pay him that kind of money. From what we've learned the FO isnt gonna give up alot of money for a Big. Unless he has Drob or TD types of games. He would easily send one of the bigs home. And I dont think it would be bonner. More then likely AT.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108632&highlight=Mahinmi+interview

It says he's two thirty on the spur roster page, but this was a while ago, before this interview. I'm sure Bruno could give a more in depth analysis.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/

Thanks for the info. He was too skinny in the Summer league (imho), sounds like he's beefed up quite a bit since then.

If he's 250 now, he'll be fine at Center.

Gino
11-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I think that there needs to be an official rule that anything from Vescey, Sam Smith or Hoopsworld is forbidden on this forum.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I think that there needs to be an official rule that anything from Vescey, Sam Smith or Hoopsworld is forbidden on this forum.

Someone said you feverishly masterbate to 9/11 footage, is this true? Seems sick if it is, i'm just sayin'. I mean, people died that day. Don't let that determine your answer.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Someone said you feverishly masterbate to 9/11 footage, is this true? Seems sick if it is, i'm just sayin'. I mean, people died that day. Don't let that determine your answer.

Ah, here it is.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109442

I think Findog or something like that.

Lebowski Brickowski
11-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Kaman will get what he wants. I don't know from who but he's a top 5 center.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
kaman? his the best since white bread > curry burger

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Anybody have an idea as to what kind of defender he is?

diego
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM

as i understand it, kaman makes more than 3x the money. also, i wouldnt say oberto has low/minimal skills. he is however, old and unathletic. a big part of putting up good stats is playing big minutes, and to play big minutes you have to have the stamina and athletic ability to stay on the court.

so its not so simple as to say, IQ > skills. i think the spurs have shown however, that IQ > athleticism. but it all depends on salaries. KT @ 4M right now, looks a lot worse than scola @ 3.5M (I may be wrong on that salary!), even though KT has the higher IQ, but scola is younger and more athletic and hence more productive at this stage.

also, i think with the injuries that have hit manu and parker, the last thing the spurs need is to tie up a lot of money on one player (who might also get hurt). They are better served to get several promising guys with that money. If its about a pipedream, i'd rather landry + millsap than kaman.

m33p0
11-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Vecsey?
exactly.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Pau Gasol.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 02:07 PM

I could be wrong, but I think he's averaging about two blocks a game. Decent defender. Upgrade from what we have overall. Double double man.

Gino
11-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Ah, here it is.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109442

I think Findog or something like that.

I wouldn't know. I put him and his KFC buddies on ignore a long time ago.

He thinks standing for the national anthem at a basketball game is somehow an endorsement of the Bush administration.

Theres just no point in arguing with those people.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't know. I put him and his KFC buddies on ignore a long time ago.

He thinks standing for the national anthem at a basketball game is somehow an endorsement of the Bush administration.

Theres just no point in arguing with those people.

:lol

You can simply stand for what it is you love about the country. It's not like they say "stand and honor the bush administration" :lol

Russ
11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Kaman's BB IQ would increase just by playing beside Duncan.

But nothing could help that hair.:wow

I think the Clippers overrate Kaman's trade value because he was considered a Clipper cornerstone for so long. Therefore, I don't think the Spurs could offer what they would want (unless it's partly a salary dump).

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Pau Gasol.

I don't think he is as soft as pau is.

Gino
11-11-2008, 02:13 PM

You can simply stand for what it is you love about the country. It's not like they say "stand and honor the bush administration" :lol

Youre preaching to the choir. :toast

Big P
11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
If he had an expiring contract, then I could see it, but $11 mil per for the next 4 years?

Not!

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
If he had an expiring contract, then I could see it, but $11 mil per for the next 4 years?

Not!

I'd do it, we're talking about giving Duncan good help possibly through his end years. This is a major area we lack, and it's not as though Mahinmi can't get good minutes in there to bring him along, as he is still raw.

Kaman is a worker, this is the same man who went to summer league more than once, and it was his choice in order to keep up and improve his game.

I see nothing wrong here, and Manu looks good right now. So I don't see him not getting resigned. We may have to give a player or two away, but who cares, it's not like it would be George, Mahinmi, or Mason.

The Tim Duncan show
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Not!

I think its 9.5 mill.....

thOOdee
11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
if its a trade for bonner and vaughn or fin do it. anything other than that i'll pass. I rather have curry.

DROB4EVER
11-11-2008, 03:14 PM

He is a very good player all around. Nice hook shot, can face up can pass, a good shot blocker and runs nearly as well as gasol.

He would be a great pick up. But I dont see the Spurs giving up that 2010 plan and getting him would take them out of the running for any of the top 5 guys.

I have to say, if the Clippers are willing to shed salary and take back some short contracts on busted players and maybe a pick or the rights to Splitter I would jump on this deal.

A line up of Kaman Dumcan Parker Manu and Fin or Mason on the floor would be as good as it gets in the west.

baseline bum
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM

I'll never forget Vescey in a span of 5 days saying Grant Hill would:

1) Stay in Detroit
2) Sign with the Spurs for the $1.2 million mid-level exception
3) Sign with Philadelphia (reported this one on draft night)
4) Go to the Knicks

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd do it, we're talking about giving Duncan good help possibly through his end years. This is a major area we lack, and it's not as though Mahinmi can't get good minutes in there to bring him along, as he is still raw.

Kaman is a worker, this is the same man who went to summer league more than once, and it was his choice in order to keep up and improve his game.

I see nothing wrong here, and Manu looks good right now. So I don't see him not getting resigned. We may have to give a player or two away, but who cares, it's not like it would be George, Mahinmi, or Mason.

EDIT: As in, we most likely wouldn't give up these three players, so if it happened, it wouldn't be at the expense of a young duo, and a third recent important addition. All other players aside from the core three, one perimeter defender (probably Bowen) and these three I just mentioned are fair play for a Kaman acquisition. Plus, picks, rights to players etc.

Manufan909
11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Do it, Pop!!! Imo, the only players that should be exempted from this trade are Tim, Tony, Manu, Mason, Hill, Ian, Tolliver, Farmer, and Ime. But I'm iffy about Farmer, they just bring in Hairston then. But if Fab+KT+Bonner get traded, then bring Watkins back in. I'd prefer they keep one of Fab or KT, but not both.

#2!
11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Besides, they're not going to snag LeBron, Wade, Kobe, or even Bosh. Hell, we can't get free agent to come to the Alamo City even during bear market free agency periods. Why would they come in 2 years, when the number of teams in the FA market will be significant?

Exactly. Although i will hold on to my impossible hope of getting Bosh in 2010, and there will be lots of mid-lower level players on the market as well, after seeing Pargo decide he would rather live in Russia than play for us I've pretty much given up on Free Agency. People say that the Spurs FO is great at finding "diamonds in the rough" or hidden talents for cheap like Mason. But the truth is its out of necessity. No one that is getting decent offers from other teams(even if they're on the other side of the world) is going to choose to come to the spurs.

Know why? Probably something about how they see an All-NBA player in Manu getting paid LESS than Kaman.

So, in conclusion, yes take Kaman! I know there's almost no REAL shot at us doing it, but the spurs should stop thinking about 2010 FAs, and start taking opportunities to build up "Tony's Spurs" NOW.

Southwest Texas Fan
11-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think Mahinmi will ever be as good a Center as Kaman, he's just too skinny and has a hard time adding weight. I think he's around 220 pounds, 6'11 right now.

Mahinmi has put on some weight. I believe he's bulked up quite nicely to about 245-250 lbs. Sean mentioned that he was much bigger than before.

meestahmeestah
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
how has this post gone 2+ pages without anyone posting Chris Kaman's most famous NBA moment? Remember Reggie Evans tugging on Kaman's junk in the playoffs a couple of years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFcinlrgojk

angelbelow
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
kaman aint bad, i watch him all the time. one of the bright spots on the clippers last year. i wouldn't say he has bad bball iq either. its just not at a genius level but its not shit either. Kaman would certainly solve a lot of problems. he could be considered a goto scorer during our droughts and although hes not a great defender he'll get 2+ blocks a game.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
how has this post gone 2+ pages without anyone posting Chris Kaman's most famous NBA moment? Remember Reggie Evans tugging on Kaman's junk in the playoffs a couple of years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFcinlrgojk

"Hand in the Cookie Jar" :lmao

"he grabbed my nuts, you can say it" :lol

"What just happened, I just got violated right" :rollin

mystargtr34
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Hes still more of a center than Oberto and probly Thomas, there no real Center and PF in the Spurs system anyway so Duncan could easily guard the bigger guys and Mahinmi the quicker 4's. I think hes more what we need that a Chris Kaman type back to the basket Center. Kaman isnt gonna slow down guys like West and Stoudemire.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Hes still more of a center than Oberto and probly Thomas, there no real Center and PF in the Spurs system anyway so Duncan could easily guard the bigger guys and Mahinmi the quicker 4's. I think hes more what we need that a Chris Kaman type back to the basket Center. Kaman isnt gonna slow down guys like West and Stoudemire.

Yeah, but it's an improvement, and if we don't have to sacrifice Mahinmi, Hill, Mason, Duncan, Bowen, Parker and Ginobili. Then why not? I would like to keep Oberto, but if he has to go then so be it. It's kind of unrealistic to prohibit moving some of these players, but if it could get done, i'm on board.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
"Hand in the Cookie Jar" :lmao

I don't know where YOU have been getting your cookies but I don't get them there. :lol

One of the best moments in the Ernie/Kenny/Chuck Show.

Allanon
11-11-2008, 05:03 PM

With the West having both huge power forwards and Centers, I think it will be a bit difficult.

But Spur-Addict and another poster said he's up to 250 now so never mind, that's plenty good size for a Center. I thought he was still 220, that wouldn't have gotten it done.

There was that trade scenario somebody brought up "Bowen-Oberto-Bonner" for Kaman & Novak. Not a bad trade idea at all and I can see positives for both sides out of that deal. Seems that the Clippers are also gearing up for 2010 and don't want both Kaman & Camby.

Spur-Addict
11-11-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know where YOU have been getting your cookies but I don't get them there. :lol

One of the best moments in the Ernie/Kenny/Chuck Show.

Gotta love it. It's rare getting these moments in sports tv.

DROB4EVER
11-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Mahinmi has put on some weight. I believe he's bulked up quite nicely to about 245-250 lbs. Sean mentioned that he was much bigger than before.

Ian has more physical tools than Kaman but Kaman is more refined. If Ian works hard he has the chance to be as good or better than Kaman, but thats if. Lots of guys have loads of skill and never develop.

See Keon Clark!

xtremesteven33
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
With the West having both huge power forwards and Centers, I think it will be a bit difficult.

But Spur-Addict and another poster said he's up to 250 now so never mind, that's plenty good size for a Center. I thought he was still 220, that wouldn't have gotten it done.

There was that trade scenario somebody brought up "Bowen-Oberto-Bonner" for Kaman & Novak. Not a bad trade idea at all and I can see positives for both sides out of that deal. Seems that the Clippers are also gearing up for 2010 and don't want both Kaman & Camby.

Good points, but no way do the spurs give up bowen.

Brazil
11-11-2008, 05:22 PM
In the current situation, ouside TP/manu/TD/mason/hill we can trade everything else to have him but it won't happen.

Stump
11-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Good points, but no way do the spurs give up bowen.

What if he pulled a Brent Barry?