PDA

View Full Version : Pie chart on Excel..help?

jcrod
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not getting any responses in the Geek Zone.

I can't seem to get it to work. I'm following the chart wizard, but i get a single line down the middle. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong and/or how to create one.

I need to create a chart for my vendors and my column is on I2 through I185.

Bender
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
so what's the problem. excel mostly does everything for you these days. (I have excel 2003)

what does your data look like?

like this, description and numbers?

blah blah 123
abc abc 49
qwerty 513
asdfgh 92

(184 pieces of data is a lot of pie slices though...)

MannyIsGod
11-11-2008, 03:43 PM
If you're just getting a solid line you're probably not defining one of the axis (variables? whatever the fuck excel calls it) so even though it has the data it may not know how to properly display it or label it.

I'm just taking a guess here because its really hard to know without seeing it. Maybe take a screen shot?

Bender
11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
yes more info would help... :lol

the excel I have, you basically highlight what you want to chart, click the Chart icon, select Pie Chart, and it creates it instantly...

in the older excel versions, you had to enter labels, axis', blah blah, confusing...

jcrod
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
If you're just getting a solid line you're probably not defining one of the axis (variables? whatever the fuck excel calls it) so even though it has the data it may not know how to properly display it or label it.

I'm just taking a guess here because its really hard to know without seeing it. Maybe take a screen shot?

Hmm, and where/how do i define the axis?

Bender
11-11-2008, 03:54 PM
what version of excel do you have?

jcrod
11-11-2008, 03:54 PM
yes more info would help... :lol

the excel I have, you basically highlight what you want to chart, click the Chart icon, select Pie Chart, and it creates it instantly...

in the older excel versions, you had to enter labels, axis', blah blah, confusing...

I have 03 also and did exactly that. Highlighted the data on the column and then clicked chart, type.....

Bender
11-11-2008, 03:57 PM
when I first read your initial post, I opened excel, dumped in some random numbers in I2 down to I185, then highlighted the whole column, clicked the Chart Wizard icon, and selected Pie chart. It worked fine.

I'm not much of a chart expert, btw. I've only messed with it a few times over the years.

did you highlight the entire column?

jcrod
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
when I first read your initial post, I opened excel, dumped in some random numbers in I2 down to I185, then highlighted the whole column, clicked the Chart Wizard icon, and selected Pie chart. It worked fine.

I'm not much of a chart expert, btw. I've only messed with it a few times over the years.

did you highlight the entire column?

No, just the data.

Bender
11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I meant the entire column of data...

edit: hmmm... looks like even if you just select the first data in column I, it still charts the whole column... so never mind.
We are talking about numerical data right?

alamo50
11-11-2008, 05:56 PM
You better be working on a laptop.
It fits better in the oven.