PDA

View Full Version : Kalib Starnes Still whining and crying..

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Just saw this on Sherdog

Every excuse in the book for his UFC 83 performance and oh poor me, everyone hates me now, LOL

"Just found this interview on tsn.ca from today, couldn't find it posted yet

Seven months after a bad loss to Nate Quarry at UFC 83, Canadian mixed martial arts middleweight Kalib Starnes is still receiving obscenity-laced hate mail.

Starnes has been called a disgrace, pathetic joke, bitch, gutless coward, loser, the MMA's No. 1 coward and liar - and a lot worse. While some e-mails have been positive, many have been downright hateful and vicious.

"I think the joy of finding somebody to kick when they're down really appeals to people," Starnes said in a weekend interview.

"I get maybe a couple of pieces of hate e-mail still to this day, almost every day. Nobody's ever said anything to my face or mentioned anything to me when I'm going through my daily life but I do still get a lot of negative talk, negative comments and so on from that performance."

Starnes returns to action Nov. 15 in Hawaii, where he is to take on Kala (Kalohe) Hose in the main event of a Destiny card. But rightly or wrongly, he may never escape what happened April 19 in the UFC's debut show in Canada.

Starnes (8-3-1) lost a unanimous decision to Quarry but it was the way he fought that spawned the abuse. He mounted virtually no offence and spent much of the fight backpedalling.

"I'm not sure what Kalib's strategy is here," fellow fighter Kenny Florian, who was doing the colour commentary that day, said early on.

The soldout Bell Centre crowd chanted "Boring, Boring," and cheered Quarry mimicking Starnes' running. And as they waited for the decision, they cheered Quarry when the American was shown on the big screens and booed Starnes when he came on.

"It takes two guys to fight and Nate's the only one that showed up to fight tonight for that fight," UFC president Dana White said dismissively later.

In an e-mail to reporters days after the bout, Starnes said: "There is a winner and a loser in every fight. I tried to win but on that night I couldn't do it and I lost.

"Instead of allowing me to lose with dignity I was booed and called names and ridiculed beyond anything which seems reasonable to me. I tried to box with him and I couldn't find my range, I tried to kick-box with him and I broke my foot, I tried to take him down and grapple with him but I was unable to, I tried to work in the clinch but that didn't work either. In short, I failed. No excuses."

Starnes subsequently asked to be released from his UFC contract, which called for three fights a year. But the abuse continued via his website.

The 33-year-old from Surrey, B.C., spent the next 3 1/2 months in a cast. He had broken a ****tarsal bone in his fight kicking Quarry two minutes into the second round.

Starnes admits it was a "low period."

"Honestly I was sitting around, taking online courses. I couldn't really do much, I couldn't train, couldn't teach, couldn't work.

"I put in three months of training then to have an injury and spend three and a half months recovering before I could even do anything again. So that's six months of my life gone and the guaranteed purse for that fight was about (US)$10,000. If you think $10,000 covers six months of intense high-level training and then the recovery and the beating and everything else and the ruined reputation, that (money) doesn't even come close."

Starnes has gone back and watched video of the fight a couple of times. "It wasn't that interesting," he notes.

And his explanation today for what went wrong is essentially the same as it was back in April, although he offers more detail. Starnes says he spent three months training a specific way to fight Quarry - "then when I got in there, it wasn't working."

The idea had been to circle and work off his jab. But Quarry blunted that strategy by leaning out of range of the jab and then throwing two or three heavy punches followed by a hard leg kick.

Plus Quarry was physically stronger. When the lean, six-foot-three Starnes tried to change it up in the second, Quarry stuffed a string of takedown attempts.

Unable to kick because of the broken bone in his foot, feeling the effects of a constant barrage of heavy punches and kicks, and fighting fatigue, Starnes acknowledged falling into "survival mode."

He attempted just five punches in the last two minutes, with a frustrated Quarry mocking him. "It just turned into a circus act at that point," Starnes said.

"It was a terrible performance," he added. "And at the same time I thought you know it was a bit excessive the amount of bad publicity that I got after that."

Starnes is not your ordinary fighter. The 185-pounder lists his heroes as Noam Chomsky and Bertrand Russell and talks happily of seeing Japan's cultural heritage in Kyoto during a trip to the Far East.

His website lists such favourite books as "Killing Hope: U.S. Military And CIA Interventions Since World War II" by William Blum, "Planet of Slums" by Mike Davis, "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond, The Future of Life" by Edward O. Wilson and "The New Nuclear Danger" by Helen Caldicott.

He wants to help establish a micro-credit charity, which offers small working capital loans - without interest - for worthy projects.

Starnes fights for a living, but doesn't quite understand the raw emotion his job engenders in fans.

"They're sitting in the stands, they're sitting in front of their television sets and somehow they feel like they identify with these athletes and these people, that they're personally affected by the outcome of a match. It's something that I really don't understand," he said. "I think it's tied into some kind of nationalism and irrational kind of jingoism, it's almost like they're cheering for their nation's army. They're just waving a flag, we're the best. .. it's always been to me kind of a frightening behaviour. I've always been put off by that side of an attitude, I've never understood it."

Starnes also wonders about a society where people can obsess over "what kind of hat Brad Pitt wore to the beach or something like that."

"Just the stupidest thing in the world to me and I don't understand it. ... And nobody loves it more than when you fall on your face."

Starnes can speak from experience, at least in the world of mixed martial arts.

"You should never fight again." offered one online critic. "Try a job that is better suited for you such as ballet teacher."

"You are a joke - not a fighter," adds another. "Go away and never come back."

Starnes has shown his toughness over the years, enduring a fractured fibula, broken nose, rib injury, jawbone infection, torn shoulder muscle and more than 20 stitches to close a gaping cut on his forehead after a TKO loss lost to Alan (The Talent) Belcher in October 2007 at UFC 77. There were two layers of stitches needed because the cut went to the bone.

He also sacrificed time with his family and daughter Sienna, often training down in Florida with American Top Team.

Coming back from the foot injury and the UFC 83 experience hasn't been easy, Starnes said, but in the end his love for the sport won the day.

"Some people say they measure success in how much money you make or if you're an artist, how much your paintings are worth or how much you sell. To me, if you're expressing yourself and you're doing what you love to do, you're successful.

"I feel like I'm successful whether I win or I lose and I feel like this is what I want to do. I don't have to try to make myself go and do it every day. So I feel like I really want to get back in there and I want to compete again."

Evan
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I read that ealier. Isn't it bizarre how delusional some people are?

And why is he complaining about his medical bills for his foot? They have medical insurance.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM

And why is he complaining about his medical bills for his foot? They have medical insurance.

He doesn't seem to get that people are not pissed that he lost, they are pissed about the way he lost.. He hurt his foot or got hit and then just ran for 10 min, not trying to do anything. Go out like a warrior not a coward. HE also egged the fans on when they were booing him, not a good idea..

Evan
11-11-2008, 05:08 PM
He doesn't seem to get that people are not pissed that he lost, they are pissed about the way he lost.. He hurt his foot or got hit and then just ran for 10 min, not trying to do anything. Go out like a warrior not a coward. HE also egged the fans on when they were booing him, not a good idea..

I forgot he did that to the fans.

And if he really broke his foot why didn't it swell? Are we talking about a break or a crack? I cracked my hand on someones skull before and even that swelled up pretty face. I'm not buying it.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 05:14 PM

And if he really broke his foot why didn't it swell? Are we talking about a break or a crack? I cracked my hand on someones skull before and even that swelled up pretty face. I'm not buying it.

Didn't Starnes also quit his 2nd fight on TUF, with a rib injury claiming it was broke but it never was??

Evan
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Didn't Starnes also quit his 2nd fight on TUF, with a rib injury claiming it was broke but it never was??

That sure rings a bell and didn't everyone including tito question it?

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 05:20 PM
That sure rings a bell and didn't everyone including tito question it?

Yes it was him, I remember now,he fought Kendall Grove, and he took a few kicks to the side and quit in RD 3, saying his rib was broke.. Tito didn't buy it and Ken said, He "Had broken ribs before and no way were they broke" And they weren't, he just pussed out..

djohn14
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM

And if he really broke his foot why didn't it swell? Are we talking about a break or a crack? I cracked my hand on someones skull before and even that swelled up pretty face. I'm not buying it.Ladies and gentlemen, Evan is a badass!!!...haha...but seriously...Kalib...look for a different career.

Evan
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Evan is a badass!!!...

lol no. It was a drunkin fit of idiocy with me and a friend. We were wrestling...shattered my laundry room door. Later on we were throwing punches into each others chest...stomach and arms like idiots...he ducked and I drive my fist right into his crown and broke my hand like a moron.

It was harmless rough housing and nobody was trying to hurt each other.

But seriously...broken feet and hands swell and he was fine.

BlackSwordsMan
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/quarry_starnes_2348.jpg

dallaskd
11-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Did Starnes flip the bird? I never noticed that.

Evan
11-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Did Starnes flip the bird? I never noticed that.

Yeah and somehow Kalib thinks he's innocent and unjustly criticized!

djohn14
11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Lol thats a great clip...sounds like Evan should be on TUF!

Evan
11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Andy Wang could whip my ass.

djohn14
11-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Andy Wang could whip my ass.

Dont even joke like that lol.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 10:46 PM
http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/quarry_starnes_2348.jpg

Starting this thread was worth it, just to see this again...:toast

And it shows why he just doesn't get it. You lost and acted like a douche-bag Kalib, that is why everyone hates you..

Evan
11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
If he had a broken foot how is it possible he is bouncing like that?

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
It's really not, i mean Cote mesed up his knee bad, and the poor guy could hardly stand. Him i felt bad for, Starnes he's full of shit..

Evan
11-11-2008, 11:09 PM
We have all seen guys with broken bones fight. Hands...arms....but legs are a different matter. They stand there limping trying to box....they don't bounce around side ways like that. Look how fluid and fast he's moving. He traveled half the octagon in 3 seconds in that pic and the octagon is freaking huge.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 11:13 PM
For whatever reason he got hit early and decided "screw it, i want no part of this fight". He quit in a fight on TUF 3 and he quit at UFC 83, he's just a coward. One of the things i love so much about Chris Lytle is, he's not the most talented guy, but man he's a warrior. He'll go out and lay it on the line nomatter what is happening or how bad he got hurt or cut. Starnes just doesn't have that fighting spirit in him..

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 05:46 AM
lol completely forgot about this fight.

Rip-Hamilton32
11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
thats the one guy nate hasn't ko'd in the ufc besides his ko loss to franklin

Evan
11-12-2008, 08:58 AM
thats the one guy nate hasn't ko'd in the ufc besides his ko loss to franklin

^speaks the truth.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Nate-Quarry-2383

ATRAIN
07-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I watched this fight again yesterday and laughed my ass off

ATRAIN
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I really loved the Rocky IV reference by Nate hahaha

oligarchy
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM

No they don't.