PDA

View Full Version : Bushco Economy leaves People Scrambling to Pay Bills Over Holidays

Nbadan
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks like Extra Stout is gonna get his wish...

Source: MSNBC

NEW YORK - The odds of landing a part-time job at department store operator Bealls Outlet Stores Inc. this holiday season are slimmer than getting into Harvard: It's one out of every 45.

Don't think the chances are any better at 7-Eleven. One California store received more than 100 applicants in a week and a half for jobs that pay $8.50 per hour — and the retailer doesn't even usually hire holiday workers.

From department stores and convenience chains to call centers, managers who only a year ago had to scramble to fill holiday jobs are seeing a surge in the number of seasoned applicants — many of them laid off in other sectors and desperate for a way to pay the bills.

The flood of jobseekers comes even as the retail industry drastically cuts back on holiday hiring because of the drop-off in consumer spending, and the applicants — who differ from the usual pool, teens or stay-at-home moms looking for extra spending money — reflect the nation's fast-deteriorating job market.

"I thought it was going to be pretty easy, but I am not the only one looking for a job. There are thousands of us going for the same thing," said Kimberly Caparo of Chesterfield, Mich., who has applied for part-time jobs at Toys "R" Us Inc., Home Depot Inc. and Lowe's Cos. Inc. in recent weeks since she and her husband were laid off by American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc.

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27665672)

2centsworth
11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Still waiting for the democrat congress to make some proposals.

JoeChalupa
11-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Waited quite a few years for the republican congress to do anything.

AntiChrist
11-11-2008, 04:56 PM
The odds of landing a part-time job at department store operator Bealls Outlet Stores Inc. this holiday season are slimmer than getting into Harvard: It's one out of every 45.

Don't think the chances are any better at 7-Eleven. One California store received more than 100 applicants in a week and a half for jobs that pay $8.50 per hour — and the retailer doesn't even usually hire holiday workers

This doesn't say much for my education.

Nbadan
11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
So much for the $5 cup of coffee spin from Republicans

NEW YORK -- Starbucks Corp. said fewer U.S. customers and venti-sized costs for closing poorly performing stores led to lower sales and profit in the fourth quarter.

The quarter's results came at the end of a transition year for the coffee retailer, in which former Chief Executive Howard Schultz took back the reins of the company to again fill the CEO and chairman posts.

Seattle-based Starbucks said profit in the quarter fell 97 percent to $5.4 million, or a penny a share, from $158.5 million, or 21 cents per share.

The coffee retailer earned 10 cents per share when the costs from closing about 600 stores in the U.S. and 61 locations in Australia are excluded.

Analysts expected profit of 13 cents per share, according to a poll by Thomson Reuters.

Link (http://www.newsnet5.com/money/17953389/detail.html)

AntiChrist
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
As president, I vow to stop America's shitty jobs from going overseas.

-PFY-Zm8j0E

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Waited quite a few years for the republican congress to do anything.

So Republicans did a shitty job for six years. What's your excuse for the last two, other than blaming it on Bush being in the WH?

Just remember, any standard of accountability you hold Bush to, Obama will be held to as well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
So much for the $5 cup of coffee spin from Republicans

Link (http://www.newsnet5.com/money/17953389/detail.html)

:lol

You realize the founders of Starbucks give to the Democratic party, right?

:lmao

You libtards are so full of hate and ready to bag on anything Republican, it's pathetic.

Bender
11-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Just remember, any standard of accountability you hold Bush to, Obama will be held to as well.
I doubt he will ever be held to anything... he's blameless, above the law, the messiah, and whatever else.

timvp
11-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Don't think the chances are any better at 7-Eleven. One California store received more than 100 applicants in a week and a half for jobs that pay $8.50 per hour — and the retailer doesn't even usually hire holiday workers. Who goes to 7-Eleven looking for holiday work? :lmao

Wild Cobra
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Libtards continue to blame president Bush. Facts are, the economy was just fine. Markets were increasing, until after the elctions of 2006!

ChumpDumper
11-11-2008, 08:26 PM
So what specifically happened after the elections of 2006 to cause the economy to go south?

Findog
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Who goes to 7-Eleven looking for holiday work? :lmao

People that are desperate for a job. It's probably not funny to them.

/rant over.

You may resume your snark.

ballhog
11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm sure it's the Prez's fault that people making 50k a year were buying 300k houses and buying shit with money that wasn't there.

ducks
11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
bush was responsible people are stupid?
people elected bush

Anti.Hero
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I see Now Hiring signs all over the damn place.

Time to separate the men from the boys!

timvp
11-12-2008, 03:35 AM
People that are desperate for a job. It's probably not funny to them.

:violin

Keyword was "holiday". Why would 7-Eleven hire more people during the holidays? Do you do holiday shopping at 7-Eleven? There are places to look for holiday work ... 7-Eleven isn't one of those places.

I realize this was an anti-Bush article so you had to automatically agree with every aspect but that was a stupid point in the article. And really, if the same stat was used a year from now saying how Obama hasn't helped create holiday jobs, there'd be a number of posters tripping over themselves trying to be the first to point out the stupidity.