PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Spurs try to sign?

Supergirl
11-11-2008, 07:13 PM
With Manu and Tony out, the Spurs need more help. There are a couple good players available...should they get one of them?

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
It's a bit too late to get anybody productive off the street. Any productive players would have to be acquired via trade (unlikely). I'd rather the Spurs simply cut Farmer and sign Malik Hairston and give him significant burn, as a backup to Bowen/Udoka. Farmer is not getting much playing time a

Supergirl
11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
It's a bit too late to get anybody productive off the street. Any productive players would have to be acquired via trade (unlikely). I'd rather the Spurs simply cut Farmer and sign Malik Hairston and give him significant burn, as a backup to Bowen/Udoka. Farmer is not getting much playing time a

How is it too late? They haven't even played 10 games yet. It certainly isn't going to make anything any worse - they're 1-4 so far. Can't get much worse.

I really would love to see the Spurs sign McDyess. He'd be a great fit even when Parker and Manu are back.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
How is it too late? They haven't even played 10 games yet.

Yet here you are, panicking.

:sleep

Cant_Be_Faded
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I would pick noone, but I don't agree with that second part.

Bender
11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
poll results say Supergirl voted for Kaman AND mcdyess...

Supergirl
11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Yet here you are, panicking.

:sleep

I'm not panicking. I'm being realistic. Without Parker and Manu, Spurs will be LUCKY to go .500 between now and Dec, when both may be back. It is conceivable they could wind up winning .25 of their games between now and then. Or fewer. So at that point, when they're down 5-20, or so, if they won 80% of their games they'd wind up with a record of 50-32, which MIGHT be good enough to get them into the playoffs.

Parker and Manu being out mean the Spurs are in danger of getting in too big a hole for them to dig us out of by the time playoffs roll around.

timvp
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
McDyess is the only free agent of the bunch ... and he's not technically a free agent yet, either. Marbury hasn't been bought out and Kaman is a player the Spurs would have to trade for, however they don't have the assets to make that happen.

I'd like for the Spurs to go after McDyess, but I think it's a longshot that he's landed. If the Spurs have PG troubles in upcoming games, I can imagine someone like Salim Stoudamire, Blake Ahearn or Eddie Gill being brought in.

The Tim Duncan show
11-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I wish some how we can get the White version (Kris Kaman) of Tim Duncan via trade, that would be awesome....

Obstructed_View
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm not panicking. I'm being realistic. Without Parker and Manu, Spurs will be LUCKY to go .500 between now and Dec, when both may be back. It is conceivable they could wind up winning .25 of their games between now and then. Or fewer. So at that point, when they're down 5-20, or so, if they won 80% of their games they'd wind up with a record of 50-32, which MIGHT be good enough to get them into the playoffs.

Parker and Manu being out mean the Spurs are in danger of getting in too big a hole for them to dig us out of by the time playoffs roll around.

If the guys that are here aren't capable of playing defense or rebounding well enough to win one regulation game with a healthy Tim Duncan and Tony Parker scoring out of his mind, what makes you think anyone that might be available is going to make up for Parker's absence?

Additionally, if the guys that are left can't win more than four of the next 20 games with a healthy Tim Duncan, then what makes you think Parker or Ginobili are going to be able to make up for it enough to win anyway?

The problem isn't who's not here, it's who's not showing up. Someone said that the Spurs are allowing fifteen more points per game than they did last year. You're delusional if you think it's a talent problem and not an effort problem.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
If the Spurs have PG troubles in upcoming games, I can imagine someone like Salim Stoudamire, Blake Ahearn or Eddie Gill being brought in.

How's that work with the roster full?

timvp
11-11-2008, 08:09 PM
How's that work with the roster full?

Farmer go bye bye.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Farmer go bye bye.

I've had a feeling that tonight's game is his final exam. You know who I hope takes his spot if he doesn't show anything. :)

eisfeld
McDyess would be nice but getting him is practically impossible.
Getting Kaman via trade would be awesome but our trade assets are well... crappy...
So I think we have to stay put and pray every day for manu to return.

WildcardManu
Salim Stoudamire wouldn't sound so bad right now but we need frontcourt help

Obstructed_View
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
So I think we have to stay put and pray every day for Spurs defense to return.

Edits submitted.

BlackSwordsMan
11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
other
kobe

jjktkk
11-11-2008, 09:49 PM
How is it too late? They haven't even played 10 games yet. It certainly isn't going to make anything any worse - they're 1-4 so far. Can't get much worse.

I really would love to see the Spurs sign McDyess. He'd be a great fit even when Parker and Manu are back.

Yes, I would too, but its a long shot at best. Put yourself in McDyess's shoes. With the way Spurs are Struggling, and the potential of the Spurs having a down year(due to injuries) why would you sign with the Spurs? All indications are McDyess will resign with Detroit. IMO Boston would be a solid 2nd choice, because McDyess is very close friends with Sam Cassell. McDyess is the only viable option for the Spurs as far as a known commodity. Can't see the Spurs making a trade for help(no assets). It is looking like the Spurs are just gonna have to tread water and hope they can make a run when the team is healthy again.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Farmer go bye bye.

:lol

Anti.Hero
11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Scola. Nocioni. Splitter.

EvaLongoria
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
We need a slasher, dunker, big, and quick Small Forward like: MELO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EvaLongoria
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Carmelo Anthony would be the man, putting Spurs n another level.

AnotherArgie
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Carmelo is an ass.

Avitus1
11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
It's all.....part of the plan.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
The problem isn't who's not here, it's who's not showing up. Someone said that the Spurs are allowing fifteen more points per game than they did last year. You're delusional if you think it's a talent problem and not an effort problem.

Self-QFT

SenorSpur
11-11-2008, 11:30 PM

McDyess is going back to Detroit. The mere fact that he hasn't signed with anyone should make it obvious. He's waiting the mandatory 30 days and then will be back in the Motor City.

SpurSupremacist
11-12-2008, 12:44 AM
#1 How the hell is Kaman on this list?

#2 How are the only 2 votes for Marbury and a crapload for McDyess? Do I need to remind anyone McDyess is a scrub? Do I need to remind anyone the Spurs can't score? Do I need to remind anyone that Marbury is 20 and 8 for his career?

peskypesky
11-12-2008, 12:58 AM
If Kaman were available (and I haven't heard that he is), he would be the obvious choice. Kaman and Duncan in the post would be scary.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 01:51 AM
I got it. Sean Williams - New Jersey Nets

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sean_williams/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Williams_(Boston_College)

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 01:56 AM
too bad we didnt scoop of gerald green. esp if we were going to give potential headcases like farmer a shot at our team. ofcousre theres always the possilibility of him not wanting to play in SA.

m33p0
11-12-2008, 03:21 AM
if i were RC i'll hold off trying to sign someone until we figure what is it that we really need. though it's preferable not to think about Tony and Manu right now (they're a distraction atm), at some point in the near future both will be back.

m33p0
11-12-2008, 03:22 AM
#2 How are the only 2 votes for Marbury and a crapload for McDyess? Do I need to remind anyone McDyess is a scrub? Do I need to remind anyone the Spurs can't score? Do I need to remind anyone that Marbury is 20 and 8 for his career?
last time i checked, Marbury doesn't have an agent.

FlAVaK
11-12-2008, 06:13 AM
First, I voted "No one - Spurs will be OK"!

But if you want Bonner to be traded and a shot-blocking Big like Sean Williams is available, you look at the Nets Roster and see that they only got Dooling at the point with Devin Harris out with an ankle sprain, so throw in Vaughn too.
But then the Spurs would have to take some salary back, and the Nets want to get rid of Trenton Hassells 8.7 million for 2 years.
To match the talent somehow, the Spurs need to include Udoka.
And because they lack roster spots, the Nets would have to trade a third Player, and they only got one contract small enough: CDR

So you got this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3422~998~3239~1996~866~874&teams=24~24~24~17~17~17&te=&cash=

Bonner, Vaughn, Udoka for Williams, Hassell and CDR

Although I think this would be the almost perfect trade for the Spurs to do (it also keeps the 2010-Plan alive), I would be hesitant to do it...

mrspurs
11-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I see your point at trying to make the team better. And at least this list has a couple of names that would help us out while we're struggling. I wouldnt rule out anything at this point. Alot depends on how the rooks play Im guessing. And without the pressure of hearing in the background we're looking for your replacement, the rooks should play well. I dont think it would make sense to start the guys, tell them the jobs is yours to lose. While at the sametime looking for their replacements. (these are bench guys on our team we're talking about). Our FO hasnt been great for a few years but Ill say this. They dont lie to their players. They are upfront.

SpurSupremacist
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I got it. Sean Williams - New Jersey Nets

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sean_williams/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Williams_(Boston_College (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Williams_%28Boston_College))

I've long been a supporter of bringing in Williams, the question is... is it possible? How steep is the asking price? Who do we have to offer that they would actually want?

SpurSupremacist
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Bonner, Vaughn, Udoka for Williams, Hassell and CDR

Although I think this would be the almost perfect trade for the Spurs to do (it also keeps the 2010-Plan alive), I would be hesitant to do it...

You honestly think the Nets wouldn't just laugh the Spurs right off the phone with that deal?

bus driver
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
How about Harrington?

Sources: Warriors' Harrington to sit with bad back for two weeks
ESPN news services

Monday, November 10, 2008
Golden State Warriors forward Al Harrington is on the trading block and in his bed. A source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher on Monday that Harrington will miss at least the next two weeks because of back problems. He has been placed on bed rest for the next week. Unhappy with his role on the team, Harrington asked to be traded before the season began. "He thinks he's a superstar. I think he's a very good player. If he wants to be traded, we'll try to accommodate him," Warriors coach Do ...http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3695013 or
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3677648

Taking it to the Hole
11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't hold out hope on McDyess coming here. He seems hell bent on returning to Detroit, so we might as well try to pick someone else up. If Marbury is waived, I say he is the next best option to make a run at.