PDA

View Full Version : First Family Code Names Announced (?)

angel_luv
11-11-2008, 11:45 PM
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92024/?fp=1

The Renegade Is Loose. We Repeat, the Renegade Is Loose.
by Mike Krumboltz
November 10, 2008 04:54:10 PM

The Secret Service takes a lot of risks for the first family. So it's only fair that the agency gets the honor of coming up with code names for the president-elect and his family. Various sources within the Buzz recently revealed the not-so-secret nicknames.

Mr. Obama will be known as "Renegade" (move over, Lorenzo Lamas). Michelle, a woman of many talents, will be referred to as "Renaissance." Malia Obama's name will be "Radiance," while little sister Sasha's will be "Rosebud."

And what of the Bidens? We were hoping the Secret Service would stick to the "R" theme and dub Joe "Rogaine." Alas, his name will be "Celtic." His wife Jill will be "Capri." A bit boring, but hey, nobody asked us for our opinion.

Too bad, because while we don't have the power to assign nicknames to the world's most powerful family, we can dig up the most popular nicknames in Search. Here they are below for your enjoyment. And if you have your own ideas for code names for the future first family, chime in below. Buzz Log, over and out.

What is the point of having code names for people if you are going to announce it to everyone?

Several people left a comment after the article asking the same question, but last I checked no one had posted an answer.

So I ask you, our resident political experts: Is this article legit or was it written for entertainment purposes only?

LnGrrrR
11-11-2008, 11:53 PM
What is the point of having code names for people if you are going to announce it to everyone?

Several people left a comment after the article asking the same question, but last I checked no one had posted an answer.

So I ask you, our resident political experts: Is this article legit or was it written for entertainment purposes only?

They're probably just nicknames, like fighter pilots. It's standard operating procedure to not share your name or rank over a radio line. Now, it may be silly, given the people involved here, but it's probably related to that.

Heath Ledger
11-12-2008, 06:14 AM
This is way over your paygrade and is probably spoofed information.

DarrinS
11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I saw this story on CNN. The media is having massive Obama withrawals. They are desperately looking for something meaningful to cover on Obama.

CubanMustGo
11-12-2008, 09:31 AM
I saw this story on CNN. The media is having massive Obama withrawals. They are desperately looking for something meaningful to cover on Obama.

http://cornerstork.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/crying_baby.jpg

RandomGuy
11-12-2008, 10:18 AM

I will say: the names are probably not accurate.

They all start with the letter "R" and a couple of them sound too much alike.

In a crisis situation where you are relying on frantic radio reports, the last thing you need is extra confusion from slightly garbled words that sould similar.

The military phonetic alphabet ("alpha" for "A", "bravo" for "B", "charlie" for "C", etc) takes great care to avoid having similar words in order to avoid mis-communication in the heat of battle.

The Secret Service is probably cognizant of the potential, and I doubt that they would give similar nicknames like that, simply because they might be confused in a crisis.

I can't say for 100% certain, because I don't have first hand knowledge, but this snippet is setting off my "B.S." detector. No offense.

clambake
11-12-2008, 10:42 AM
angel luv, obama's REAL code name is "Beelzebub".

RandomGuy
11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
angel luv, obama's REAL code name is "Beelzebub".

You guys are sooo mean to her.

That said, it was still worth a chuckle.

I have a well-meaning friend who is CONVINCED that Obama will be instituting sharia law on January 21st. I told him that I have already bought my prayer mat.

PixelPusher
11-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Get a grip.

The media runs 24/7. They're never NOT desperate for any news to report, even if all they've got at that particular moment are the Secret Service Code Names for the President-ELECT's family

That's Funked Up
11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm surprised they didn't use HNIC

Bigzax
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM

:lol

the country missed out on being led by Maverick and Goose...hope your happy...

Anti.Hero
11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Those are some weak ass names.

I would have called Michelle Chompas.

DarkReign
11-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Hockey Night In Canada?

DarkReign
11-12-2008, 01:58 PM
While I seriously doubt the validity of this article, if true, has there ever been a less-apt name for Obama than "Renegade"?

That sounds like a name a 10 year old would come up with playing "war".

DarrinS
11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I just heard this on MSNBC.

Michelle's code name is Sasquach.

http://www.vutorch.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/20/21obama03_600.jpg

angel_luv
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I will say: the names are probably not accurate.

They all start with the letter "R" and a couple of them sound too much alike.

In a crisis situation where you are relying on frantic radio reports, the last thing you need is extra confusion from slightly garbled words that sould similar.

The military phonetic alphabet ("alpha" for "A", "bravo" for "B", "charlie" for "C", etc) takes great care to avoid having similar words in order to avoid mis-communication in the heat of battle.

The Secret Service is probably cognizant of the potential, and I doubt that they would give similar nicknames like that, simply because they might be confused in a crisis.

I can't say for 100% certain, because I don't have first hand knowledge, but this snippet is setting off my "B.S." detector. No offense.

Thank you. :)

MannyIsGod
11-12-2008, 03:52 PM
They're the actual code names.

Trainwreck2100
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I just heard this on MSNBC.

Michelle's code name is Sasquach.

http://www.vutorch.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/20/21obama03_600.jpg

Sasquatch is gonna be pissed

Wild Cobra
11-12-2008, 05:45 PM
OK, so they released the unlassified nick names of Merican Chief and his wife. I'll bet there are others used for keeping things on the down-low.