PDA

View Full Version : Did any spurs fans watch the mavs vs lakers game

TJastal
11-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Did anyone watch that complete and utter travesty of officiating? All 3 of those officials out to be terminated immediately, that was the worst officiating I've seen EVER. The poor Mavs played one helluva game and should have won that one going away, but for the countless horrible calls / non-calls that are too numerous to list.

completely deck
11-12-2008, 02:29 AM
No, there was a better game going on at the time.

m33p0
everyone knows by now Stern hates the Mavs.. maybe even more than the Spurs.

m33p0
No, there was a better game going on at the time.
:lol

mVp
11-12-2008, 02:33 AM
I just watched the last 23 seconds lol

It's all a dilemma for me to watch a Lakers-Mavs game, when they play against each other I always hope both teams lose, even though it's impossible you can always hope lol... so I can't really focus on the officiating :lol

TJastal
11-12-2008, 05:58 AM
In order to fully understand the referees' impact on this game, it simply must be fully examined call by call, non-call, and good call (there were a few good ones but only mostly in the 1st quarter).

1st quarter

9:45 (bad call, Lakers favor) Dirk called for moving screen by Leroy Richardson. Call happened away from the ball, was inconsequential to the game, and this type of contact is allowed 99.9% of the time with no call.

6:01 (good call, mavs favor) Fisher called for blocking foul, was clearly still shuffling his feet when Green came down the lane, of course Fisher cries and pouts, which is typical. Mavericks have clearly captured the momentum of this game, and are starting to build a large lead, with only one questionable call going against Dirk so far.

5:27 (another good call, mavs favor) Terry drives baseline and draws contact on his shooting shoulder from the body of Bynum. Bynum pouts and cries to the refs. Mavs up 11 now after Terry makes both.

4:53 (questionable call, lakers favor) Kobe gets a fast break layup, Kidd made a swipe at the ball, appearing to have missed it, and Kobe is awarded the AND-1. This call will be made sometimes just because sometimes, especially if its Kobe or Lebron type player.

4:03 (good/bad call? You decide) Kobe drives to the basket and is fouled by Green who is clearly still moving his feet and not in position to take the charge. Kobe travels before the contact is made however, he takes 3 steps clearly expecting to be bailed out on the contact, which happens after he takes his 3rd step. Technically speaking its travelling, and a turnover.

3:39 (bad no call, lakers favor) Fisher reaches in and rakes Gerald Green across the wrist as he drove into the lane, and no call. Its a turnover that leads to a fast break dunk for the lakers instead.

2nd quarter

9:54 (bad no call, lakers favor) Nowitski fades away on a jumpshot, Farmar tries to block it from the backside, swipes and misses with his arm, but bumps Nowitski with the body on the follow through, throwing off the shot. No foul call is made.

9:32 (another bad no call, lakers favor) Nowitski dribbles right and goes up for the jumpshot, Odom is there to meet him with body contact, he drills the shot, but doesn't get the AND-1, which it appears he should have.

9:03 (bad no call, mavs favor) Ariza driving layup, contact by Green (his knee went into Ariza's midsection, sending him to the floor. Could have been whistled for an AND-1.

8:51 (horrible no-call, lakers favor) Lamar Odom back Nowitski into the paint and then throws a vicious elbow right into Nowitski's face, sending him crashing to the floor, and makes the shot afterward. NO OFFENSIVE CALL MADE ON WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A NO-BRAINER ON ODOM.

7:42 (bad call, lakers favor) Green driving to the hoop on fast break, Ariza sliding over to take the charge. Problem is he's still sliding his feet when he gets in front of Green. Green lowers shoulder into Ariza, but it should not matter, Ariza has no legitimate position to begin with.

7:12 (bad no call, lakers favor) Nowitski with a left handed drive to the basket, gets hammered to the floor by Bynum, still makes shot, should have been an AND-1. This is like, the 3rd time now for this??? WTF.

6:50 (bad no call, mavs favor) Farmar drives to the basket, Dampier comes in for the sweet rejection, but hammers him with the body. Should have been foul called. Saving grace for lakers is Vujavic picks up loose ball and drills it.

3:43 (bad no call?, lakers favor) I have no idea why the f--- this call was made, Terry and Fisher were having a chuckle about it afterward. It seems the only thing that is could be was on Nowitski's screen, which was perfectly legit screen from the replay.

3:15 (questionable no call, lakers favor) Nowitski drives interior, Kobe slyly gives him a poke-slap to the face on the shot, he drains it anyway, tough to call that it was hard to see. Nowitski reacts by cupping his nose afterwards, but he gets no love from the officials.

2:53 (bad call, lakers favor) Nowitski with a good strip and steal against Gasol, unfortunately Gasol acts like someone gave him an uppercut to the chin and officials bite and charge Nowitski w/ foul. This, coming right after getting poked in the face on his own shot on previous possession, must be frustrating for Dirk.

1:16 (bad no call, lakers favor) Kidd drives baseline, Bryant lunges into him with his shoulder like a free safety, causing Kidd to lose control of the ball, and ends up a turnover. No call is made on Bryant, who enjoys calls for much much much less contact.

:53 (questionable call, lakers favor) Dampier meets Gasol in lane extends arms straight to contest the shot, and nothing else. There is contact arm to arm, but its mostly Gasol initiating. Gasol makes the shot easily but officials give him the cheesy AND-1.

:36 (good call, mavs favor) Derek Fisher gets a little to aggressive in his pressure to Jason Terry on the double team, lunging into him with his arm forcing him out of bounds. In typical Fisher fashion, he acts like he never touched him. Even minutes after the foul he is still vociferously arguing with the referee over an obvious foul. What a jackass Fisher is, posturing with the refs, as if they are that stupid to cut him a break. Oh, wait they proved they ARE that stupid. Never mind.

3rd quarter

11:51 (bad call, lakers favor) Bynum bailed out on a jumpshot that was contested by Dampier, replay looked very clean defense, might have been slight hand to hand contact on the follow through, which is generally never called.

10:45 (questionable no call, lakers favor) Green drives baseline for the jam/layup, Bryant flys by him, hard to see from camera angle if there was contact, but Green hit the deck and also misses the shot.

7:52 (questionable no-call lakers favor) Nowitski takes a baseline J, Gasol extends and they basically slap hands on the follow through, shot goes awry.
Same exact thing Dampier did to Bynum earlier except that was ruled a foul, this one wasn't. Shows no consistency from call to call.

3:13 (bad no call, lakers favor) Gasol comes all over the back on Nowitski for rebound, no call. Fortunately, mavs retained possession of the ball, but a foul is a foul and should be called.

2:53 (bad no call, mavs favor) Green follows up his own shot coming over Odom's back badly for a rebound, no foul call. Mavs get a free throw as a result.

4th quarter

10:53 (bad call, lakers favor) Odom drives to the hoop, Diop offers little resistance other than a quick swipe at the ball, gets nothing but air, but Odom is rewarded with an AND-1.

9:16 (bad no call, lakers favor) Bynum travels, shuffles his feet after losing his balance, then takes another step, certainly seems an easy call to make for the officials.

7:33 (horrible no call, lakers favor) Stackhouse makes a great steal and finishes coast to coast with a layup, and gets knocked to the floor by a laker. Announcer screams "Stackhouse driving!... scoring!.. And a foul!".... then....."Oh, I'm sorry no foul called" :lmao

6:01 (bad call, lakers favor) Bryant drives around Kidd, Kidd makes a lazy swipe at the ball but obviously hits all air, and Bryant is awarded yet another AND-1.

5:53 (bad no call, lakers favor) Nowitski fading away and passes to Dampier who is not looking for a pass. Turnover Mavs. Problem is, Gasol's hands are all over Nowitski's back, very clearly plus a push at the end. They tend not to call the hands to the back fould much, and Nowitski puts his hands on Gasol also, but the push should have been called a foul really.

3:27 (horrible call, lakers favor) Gasol backs down Nowitski, can't get the shot up over him, regathers and goes up again, and is soundly blocked clean as a whistle by Dampier, to which Nowitski is charged a foul. Announcers reason it was his off hand that pushed Gasol in the back, even though replay shows little to no contact. Pretty much the game breaking call here, and the Dallas fans stand in disbelief of this horrid call. Also again shows the inconsistency with which the officials are calling this game, a push on Nowitski on one end is not a foul, but a (phantom) push by Nowitski is.

3:05 (good call, mavs favor) Ariza whistled for the push to Stackhouse. Ariza doesn't like the call and argues with the refs, even though he obviously pushed. Guess he's learning how to work the gullible refs.

2:50 (bad call, mavs favor) Odom called for loose ball foul on Dampier, appears to be little to no-contact. Was wondering myself if this was a make up call for all the horrible calls earlier. With the caveat that its Dampier shooting the free throws and is an abysmal foul shooter.

2:38 (horrible call, lakers favor) Gasol bounce passes to Bryant on the sideline, who fumbles it out of bounds. Stupid refs claim they didn't see it, so they call a jump ball that Kobe wins. Should have been turnover Mavs ball it was a simple call to make. Announcer even comments "Official was 10 feet away from it".

MY FINAL TALLY
questionable call lakers favor - 1
questionable call mavs favor - 0

questionable no-call lakers favor - 3
questionable no-call mavs favor - 0

bad calls lakers favor - 6
bad calls mavs favor - 1

bad no-calls lakers favor - 9
bad no-calls mavs favor - 3

horrible call lakers favor - 2
horrible call mavs favor - 0

horrible no call lakers favor - 2
horrible no call mavs favor - 0

I think these calls show a clear pattern here, which I don't think needs pointing out.

TJastal
11-12-2008, 05:58 AM
oops double post sry

TJastal
11-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Btw, here are the offending shitheads that reffed that game

Officials: Courtney Kirkland , Dan Crawford , Leroy Richardson

mrspurs
11-12-2008, 06:51 AM
I dont blame yall then for calling out the refs. Regardless of whos playing the game. That easily looks like one of the worst reffed games this season. Nothing is worst then a ref getting in the way of a game. You have injuries, periods of change, and life situations that get in the way of wins and losses within a NBA season. The refs are there to do what exactly I dont know. I used to think they were there to keep the game fair. To make sure the other team doesnt cheat. To keep peace on the floor incase a fight broke out. To make sure someone didnt take to many steps. But honestly they have over 10,000 eyes at the game. Many cameras with lots of angles. And still to this day and age, a ref can determine the outcome of a game. That makes no sense to me. I remember the days when the NFL used to have that same kind of reputation. But as the years went by with the red flag. Now you see alot of refs, look at each other before they throw that flag or raise their hands. Which means, I think I saw something but maybe I should make sure, before I stop the game. They never had to think like that before. Now, thou not perfect its a trend that all NFL refs must deal with. No more, are games left up to 2 just eyes.

Lakers_55
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I watched the game on the LA station, KCAL. I remember how Laker color announcer, Stu Lantz, explained this one:

7:42 (bad call, lakers favor) Green driving to the hoop on fast break, Ariza sliding over to take the charge. Problem is he's still sliding his feet when he gets in front of Green. Green lowers shoulder into Ariza, but it should not matter, Ariza has no legitimate position to begin with.

Lantz pointed out that although Ariza was shuffling his feet still, Green drove into him with his body at the (uniform) numbers. Therefore it was the corrrect call. Also, second zone defense call against LA was dubious, Bynum was right next to his man. (It's all subjective, how much Bynum is or isn't moving his arms). A Laker was called for a charge early in the game that you don't mention, but replays showed it clearly was a block.

There was no ref bias, imho. No game is called perfectly. If a conspircay exists, it still needs to be proven.

Avitus1
11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
LOL, No...

TJastal
11-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I watched the game on the LA station, KCAL. I remember how Laker color announcer, Stu Lantz, explained this one:

Lantz pointed out that although Ariza was shuffling his feet still, Green drove into him with his body at the (uniform) numbers. Therefore it was the corrrect call. Also, second zone defense call against LA was dubious, Bynum was right next to his man. (It's all subjective, how much Bynum is or isn't moving his arms). A Laker was called for a charge early in the game that you don't mention, but replays showed it clearly was a block.

There was no ref bias, imho. No game is called perfectly. If a conspircay exists, it still needs to be proven.

You must be referring to the Derek Fisher play. Which IMO Fisher is still moving in the last second to get in front of the offensive player. So, it was the correct call. Just because Fisher howls and bitches to the refs for 5 minutes afterward does not make it an incorrect call.

The other charge on Green I guess could have been put into the "questionable" category. I always thought the defensive player's feet needed to be set to take a charge, if there has been a change to the rules, I would love to know exactly what that is.

I think your not being 100% honest with yourself if you trying to believe the refs weren't favoring LA that game. The evidence is overwhelming.

It was either that or a bias against Nowitski, who seemed to be on the losing end of all the bad calls, all game long.

Allanon
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I watched the game on the Dallas announcer side.

They pointed out I think only 2 calls that the refs missed. Stackhouse was indeed fouled on the fastbreak layup. On the Dampier block, they did a replay and on the replay, they found that Dampier had his off-arm pushing. Even the announcer said, "look at his left arm". Props to a very fair Dallas announcing crew.

Overall though, it was fairly called and just more of a "let them play" kind of game. Alot of non-calls on both sides. And I like it that way. Refs should stay out of the game except on obvious stuff.

By far one of the most even-called games I've watched, the players decided the game, not the refs. This is evidenced by almost the same # of fouls and free throws given to both teams.

TJastal
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I watched the game on the Dallas announcer side.

They pointed out I think only 2 calls that the refs missed. Stackhouse was indeed fouled on the fastbreak layup. On the Dampier block, they did a replay and on the replay, they found that Dampier had his off-arm pushing. Even the announcer said, "look at his left arm". Props to a very fair Dallas announcing crew.

Overall though, it was fairly called and just more of a "let them play" kind of game. Alot of non-calls on both sides. And I like it that way. Refs should stay out of the game except on obvious stuff.

By far one of the most even-called games I've watched, the players decided the game, not the refs. This is evidenced by almost the same # of fouls and free throws given to both teams.

I could care less what the announcers say. Some will point out bad calls, some pretend not to notice bad calls, some are too dumb to notice at all.

As for Dampier, he had his arm extended and hand on Gasol's back as he drove into the lane. This happens all the time in the NBA with no call if you haven't noticed. There might have been some push to that hand, it was hard to say. I did not see a push, just his hand and arm keeping Gasol away from getting closer to the basket. That is why I put it into the "questionable" category. The problem I have is later in the game Gasol does the very same thing to Nowitski, with the same hand on the back and the push is very clear and easy to see in this case.

5:53 (bad no call, lakers favor) Nowitski fading away and passes to Dampier who is not looking for a pass. Turnover Mavs. Problem is, Gasol's hands are all over Nowitski's back, very clearly plus a push at the end. They tend not to call the hands to the back fould much, and Nowitski puts his hands on Gasol also, but the push should have been called a foul really.

So what we have here is clearly the refs inconsistency favoring the lakers.

TJastal
11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
And what about all the times Dirk was fouled, hammered, elbowed in the face, etc.., and no calls were made. There were numerous times he should have gotten AND-1's and didn't.

If this was Kobe getting this kind of treatment from a ref crew and the lakers lost because of it I bet you would have something to say about it, as well as every other laker fan on the planet.

Allanon
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
I think that's a different call. The one I'm talking about is this one:

3:27 (horrible call, lakers favor) Gasol backs down Nowitski, can't get the shot up over him, regathers and goes up again, and is soundly blocked clean as a whistle by Dampier, to which Nowitski is charged a foul. Announcers reason it was his off hand that pushed Gasol in the back, even though replay shows little to no contact. Pretty much the game breaking call here, and the Dallas fans stand in disbelief of this horrid call. Also again shows the inconsistency with which the officials are calling this game, a push on Nowitski on one end is not a foul, but a (phantom) push by Nowitski is.

I believe Dampier got that foul, not Nowitzki and the Dallas announcers replayed it and saw Dampier pusshing off Pau as he went up for the block.

Allanon
11-13-2008, 03:34 PM
And what about all the times Dirk was fouled, hammered, elbowed in the face, etc.., and no calls were made. There were numerous times he should have gotten AND-1's and didn't.

If this was Kobe getting this kind of treatment from a ref crew and the lakers lost because of it I bet you would have something to say about it, as well as every other laker fan on the planet.

Not at all. The reason why Dirk didn't get many foul calls was because he shot jumpers and fadeaways. He blew that layup towards the end of the game and nobody was even on him. You have to drive to the hole to get your fouls.

TJastal
11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I think that's a different call. The one I'm talking about is this one:

I believe Dampier got that foul, not Nowitzki and the Dallas announcers replayed it and saw Dampier pusshing off Pau as he went up for the block.

It appears your correct, they did charge the foul to Dampier not Nowitski, but there was confusion as to who the foul was on, since there was minimal contact by either player. For a game breaking call it was very minor contact, and should not have been called. The call was so bad, even all the fans in the stands were just standing there stunned in disbelief.

TJastal
11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Not at all. The reason why Dirk didn't get many foul calls was because he shot jumpers and fadeaways. He blew that layup towards the end of the game and nobody was even on him. You have to drive to the hole to get your fouls.

That is your misconception, that a player must drive to the basket to get a foul. A foul can occur on a jumpshot or fadeaway as well as a drive to the bucket. Which, in Dirk's case, happened several times in that game. Nowitski also had a few drives to the basket in which there was enough contact to warrant a foul, and no foul was called.

He did miss that layup your talking about however, I recall that. And missed free throws by Terry and Dampier did not help matters. So the mavs missed opportunities of their own to win the game. But that does not excuse the poor officiating which just happened to heavily favor the lakers.

You cannot just say "Team X and Y got the same free throws, therefore the game was called fairly". You have to factor in all the blown non-calls that should have been made, and evaluate each actual call independantly. I think I made a good case for conspiracy when you look at the final results-

MY FINAL TALLY
questionable call lakers favor - 1
questionable call mavs favor - 0

questionable no-call lakers favor - 3
questionable no-call mavs favor - 0

bad calls lakers favor - 6
bad calls mavs favor - 1

bad no-calls lakers favor - 9
bad no-calls mavs favor - 3

horrible call lakers favor - 2
horrible call mavs favor - 0

horrible no call lakers favor - 2
horrible no call mavs favor - 0

turiaf for president
11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
:whine

Bobsyeruncle
11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
The Spurs suck something awful this year, so some Spurmfans have to take it out on 2 of their favorite opponents - Mavericks & Lakers (mostly Lakers). Quit whining about the officiating. There is no conspiracy, but if it gets you off to analyze every call the refs make during a game, then knock yourselves out.:lol

Fabbs
11-13-2008, 07:42 PM
You must be referring to the Derek Fisher play. Which IMO Fisher is still moving in the last second to get in front of the offensive player. So, it was the correct call. Just because Fisher howls and bitches to the refs for 5 minutes afterward does not make it an incorrect call.The other charge on Green I guess could have been put into the "questionable" category. I always thought the defensive player's feet needed to be set to take a charge, if there has been a change to the rules, I would love to know exactly what that is.

I think your not being 100% honest with yourself if you trying to believe the refs weren't favoring LA that game. The evidence is overwhelming.

It was either that or a bias against Nowitski, who seemed to be on the losing end of all the bad calls, all game long.

When Swisher is on the floor with corrupt and/or incompetent refs, its not basketball. Pure and simple.