PDA

View Full Version : No No No; Marbury to San Antonio?

manufor3
11-12-2008, 07:58 AM
If the New York Knicks part ways with Stephon Marbury, Marbury said that the San Antonio Spurs would be at the top of his list of preferred destinations, the New York Post is reporting.

"Who wouldn't want to play for San Antonio?" Marbury told The Post last night. "To play with Tim Duncan, who would complain about that? That's a great organization, they win championships. They have a nice system and I like (Gregg) Popovich as coach. I can play 1 or the 2. If I was a free agent, yeah."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has said he may look for a point guard after losing Tony Parker for a month.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55383/20081112/steph_eyes_spot_with_spurs/

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Oh, Jesus.

m33p0
11-12-2008, 08:05 AM

SpursFanFirst
11-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Speculation like this comes around every time a player is out on, or about to be out on, the market. San Antonio always seems to get mentioned.

Marbury has been a cancer on the Knick team...not to mention overpaid...so naturally, I hope he doesn't come here....and I doubt he will.

If it DOES happen though, who knows. Maybe being on a positive team like the Spurs, and having a coach like Pop would be enough to change his tune.

m33p0
11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
having Marbury on the team would stunt Hill's development, which, in the long term, is bad for the Spurs. Short term effects does not need mentioning since we can all come up with the worse case scenarios on our own.

Warlord23
11-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Every player who has been in the process of moving between teams in the last 5+ years has at some point casually mentioned the Spurs, either directly or via rumors.

This is probably another smoke-screen by his agent to increase Marbury's value in the market.

exstatic
11-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Marbury can want us all he wants. I think it's one way affection. Pop got a good close look at him surrounded by stars in Athens and epic failing in 2004. Steph will be in the next plane to Miami when his contract gets worked out.

BlackSwordsMan
11-12-2008, 08:29 AM
He can't be worse than bonner and finley

m33p0
11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Every player who has been in the process of moving between teams in the last 5+ years has at some point casually mentioned the Spurs, either directly or via rumors.

This is probably another smoke-screen by his agent to increase Marbury's value in the market.
Marbury doesn't have an agent.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-12-2008, 08:32 AM
He can't be worse than bonner and finley

that's where you're wrong, Bonner and Finley are just useless... Marbury is detrimental.

dbestpro
11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Everything bad about Marbury has come from the mouths of Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown and Mike D'Antonio. Yes, I can see why I should believe everything these three guys say. If Marbury can give us that instant offense trigger that they were looking for with Salim then I am for it. Marbury would see more time at shooting guard and would not stunt Hill. It might be the end for Vaughn and limit Udoka to small forward minutes. Farmer would be the guy who gets cut if this were to happen. It is worth the chance.

wijayas
11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Everything bad about Marbury has come from the mouths of Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown and Mike D'Antonio. Yes, I can see why I should believe everything these three guys say. If Marbury can give us that instant offense trigger that they were looking for with Salim then I am for it. Marbury would see more time at shooting guard and would not stunt Hill. It might be the end for Vaughn and limit Udoka to small forward minutes. Farmer would be the guy who gets cut if this were to happen. It is worth the chance.

For once, we need talent. We are done having nice guys with no talent. Yes to Marbury.

Josepatches
11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
For once, we need talent. We are done having nice guys with no talent. Yes to Marbury.

+1

And If he is not ready to play then he's not going to play.I'll take even the devil before than JV

Texas_Ranger
11-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Marbury or Vaughn.....hm, that's a tough decision....but I'd take Stephon and say BYE to Jacque, if he's the player we should cut.

DynastyBuilder
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Marbury > Stoudamire

Dex
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I think I've had enough of these Nick Van Exel projects, thank you.

hater
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
he is delusional.

It seems he beleives if he goes to Spurs he would get prime minutes next to DUncan :lol

no thanks

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I think I've had enough of these Nick Van Exel projects, thank you.

Same here. Even though Starbury has more natural talent and ability than any of the "end-of-life" vets that Pop has brought in over the past few years, the fact remains is this guy is a bad chemistry and team cancer everywhere he's been. He plays a selfish brand of basketball that simply doesn't fit the Spurs team concept.

Dr. Gonzo
11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Marbury or Vaughn.....hm, that's a tough decision....but I'd take Stephon and say BYE to Jacque, if he's the player we should cut.

I wouldn't choose Marbury over Vaughn. Yeah Vaughn sucks and is worthless on the court but he can be a good role model for Hill. Vaughn is a professional that works hard and has good character. As long as he doesn't play he is valuable to the team. I'd rather have that than a guy that destroys team chemistry, no matter how much production he can have on the court.

Dex
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
If Mike D'Antoni is telling you to stay the fuck away from his team, you know you got problems.

AA2120
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
ahhhhhh!!!

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
For those who are touting Marbury-to-the-Spurs, what do you expect is to happen when TP and Manu come back from injury? Do you really expect Starbury will he happy coming of the bench behind anyone. No matter how talented is he, do you really expect him to "blend in". Also, think about the logjam that will ensue with Pop trying to find minutes for TP, Mason, Hill, Manu, Finley and Starbury.

There's no doubt Starbury is talented and can score. My issue is that he's an utterly selfish ball player, who's been a bad personality fit everywhere he's been. Thanks, but no thanks. I wouldn't want this guy on the team if he were to play for free.

MoSpur
11-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I would like to play Marbury instead of Jacque. He has more talent. Pop took on guys like Nick the not so Quick and Damon Stoudemire. Why wouldn't he take a chance for one season on Marbury?

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 11:17 AM
You all are crazy. You act like Marbury is gonig to destroy this team after 6 years of being together.

I told you guys already. He will bring offense and more fire power that this team lacks!
Whats the big deal?? You think a guy like Marbury is going to destroy this team with guys like Pop,Tim,Bruce and Manu on this team??

I know he wants to win now. I think hes out to change everyones viewpoint on him. As a die hard spurs fan i say YES!! NO doubt. I encourage this organization to go after him IF he gets bought out.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I would like to play Marbury instead of Jacque. He has more talent. Pop took on guys like Nick the not so Quick and Damon Stoudemire. Why wouldn't he take a chance for one season on Marbury?

Bad comparisons. Those were at the end of their careers, but they weren't necessarily considered team cancers. Marbury is extremely more talented than either, but is a freakin' malcontent.

Besides, unless the Knicks buy him out and release him outright, the prospects are moot anyway.

hater
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Pop took on guys like Nick the not so Quick and Damon Stoudemire. Why wouldn't he take a chance for one season on Marbury?

do you even remember how that turned out???

galvatron3000
11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not a fan of Marbury but I'd love to have him as a player for the Spurs and if it dsoesn't work out then we have a nice trade asset. SA is a great place for him to start over at the tail end of his career. Remember the Knicks allowed the Spurs to use their charter during the playoffs against the Hornets so I expect some talking to be going on on some level but the only way Marbury is coming here is off waivers and a big pay cut.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Fuck Marbury. I'd rather have David Lee.

z0sa
11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
For those of you saying its a "smokescreen" to increase his value, its a given he won't be getting more than the veteran's minimum after such a large contract buyout.

And since he has no agent, this means its the real deal through and through.

galvatron3000
11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
do you even remember how that turned out???

yea, Nick knees gave out and Damon couldn't get into the rotation. Had nothing to do with attitude or being a cancer. You can't pass on a player like Marbury who isn't washed up as a player, just the Knicks are trying to salvage their organization much like Portland had to by shipping out their bad eggs. Image is nothing, thirst is... forget that

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
For those who are touting Marbury-to-the-Spurs, what do you expect is to happen when TP and Manu come back from injury? Do you really expect Starbury will he happy coming of the bench behind anyone. No matter how talented is he, do you really expect him to "blend in". Also, think about the logjam that will ensue with Pop trying to find minutes for TP, Mason, Hill, Manu, Finley and Starbury.

There's no doubt Starbury is talented and can score. My issue is that he's an utterly selfish ball player, who's been a bad personality fit everywhere he's been. Thanks, but no thanks. I wouldn't want this guy on the team if he were to play for free.

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Marbury/Finley
Bowen/Mason/Udoka
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Oberto/Thomas

Dont see no problem there....

hater
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
yea, Nick knees gave out and Damon couldn't get into the rotation. Had nothing to do with attitude or being a cancer. You can't pass on a player like Marbury who isn't washed up as a player, just the Knicks are trying to salvage their organization much like Portland had to by shipping out their bad eggs. Image is nothing, thirst is... forget that

exactly. those 2 experiments were embarrasing failures.

Do you even know that Marbury has not taken to a NBA court in months? he is probably not even in game shape. please stop the madness. Just say no

timaios
For 1 or 2M, you take the risk.
If it works... great.
If not, Pop's doghouse.

Brazil
Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Marbury
Bowen/Mason
Duncan/Mahinmi
Oberto/Thomas

Dont see no problem there....

:(
We have a young gifted PG to develop, we need a Big not a PG

FromWayDowntown
11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd say that a fundamental difference between Marbury (on the one hand) and guys like Charlie Ward, Nick Van Exel, and Damon Stoudamire lies in this fact: all of the guys not named Marbury came to the Spurs after being a significant part of very successful teams -- teams that were successful, at least in part, because of what those guys did. Ward's Knicks teams played in the Finals and several conference finals, Van Exel's teams went to the conference finals at least twice, as did Stoudamire's. Those guys were at the end of the rope, but they were established winners who were looking to take that one last step and saw San Antonio as the means to accomplish that.

Marbury, on the other hand, has never played a game after May 2.

temujin
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
S. Marbury is the ultimate looser.

Within a list of basketball players, you restrict and consider only the right human beings.
The one with the right attitude.
That's how you win consistently.

Take that statement of his, for example.

"I can play the 1 and the 2 positions." is exactly the WRONG statement, considering his CV.

The right statement is: "I will do whatever is required for winning. From playing defense to buying sodas to George Hill."

You will never hear that.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Marbury is NOT GOING TO LEAD US TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!

man you guys act like hes going to be our starting PG in the playoffs. Hes going to be a bench player and he knows that if he were to come to the spurs. Hell be happy to come off the bench for Ginobili. right now he wants to ressurect his career and what better place to do it than San Antonio.

You people watch ESPN too much to believe that Marbury is like the anti-christ or something.

Dex
11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Tim particularly enjoyed playing with Marbury in Athens. And I'd have to imagine he'd have some input on the subject.

Ryvin1
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I think if he doesn't work out you can just waive him, he'll only make vet min so not sure how a waived vet counts against the cap. Starbury > Farmer not sure you can question that.

nkdlunch
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Oberto will make sure this insane move never happens.

he hates marbury since marbury broke his hand that prevented Oberto from playing in the Argentina gold medal game. According to Oberto, Marbury was trying to injure him since USA was losing that game.

Not to mention Pop coached that failure of team USA. So he knows what cancer a guy like marbury can be.

marbury is as selfish as they come and unapologetic and delusional. He still expects to play major minutes for any team in the league.

Even D'antoni won't play him. come on...

Streakyshooter08
11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Well I would have mixed feelings about that. Looking at the situation right now, I would probably do it. He would come cheap and I don't think he would be able to disrupt the team chemistry. The core is together for years. The worst thing that could happen is: you wave him. If he can still score I would give it a shot. You still have Hill and Vaughn. I don't really see a big risk there...

GSH
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Everything bad about Marbury has come from the mouths of Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown and Mike D'Antonio.

Ordinarily, I would tend to agree with that statement. Isiah Thomas may be the biggest asshole to ever coach in the NBA - and definitely one of the craziest. Unfortunately, he and Marbury are too much alike. I can see that a lot of good players would suffer playing under Isiah Thomas, but Marbury pissed on his teammates in the process.

When the other players hold a team meeting and say they don't want you on the floor, the problem isn't the coach. (Of course, Thomas turned around and ignored the players and put Marbury in the game anyway.) I don't ever remember another player dumping on his teammates as badly as Marbury. He is the poster child for locker room cancer. He's one of the few guys in the league who would actually believe he could come here and make Tim Duncan a better player.

Even if the Spurs were prepared to ignore his attitude problems - there was a story this summer that he bought a $45 Million private jet. He's going to need more money than we can pay him, just to cover the upkeep on that beast. He doesn't have an agent. (Another clue.) But Billy Hunter said that he would not be interested in a buyout of 80-cents-on-the-dollar. Knowing Marbury, he'll expect to get a buyout and actually turn a profit for the year.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Marbury is NOT GOING TO LEAD US TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!

man you guys act like hes going to be our starting PG in the playoffs. Hes going to be a bench player and he knows that if he were to come to the spurs. Hell be happy to come off the bench for Ginobili. right now he wants to ressurect his career and what better place to do it than San Antonio.

You people watch ESPN too much to believe that Marbury is like the anti-christ or something.

Bullshit. Why in the hell do you think he'd be content coming off the bench, when he knows that he's instantly one of the most talented guys on the roster? Also, what the hell has this guy accomplished? You're acting like this guy is Magic Johnson? Dude has never won shit. He's never played the game for no one else but himself. Wake up man!

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Tim particularly enjoyed playing with Marbury in Athens. And I'd have to imagine he'd have some input on the subject.

Amare Stoudamire had the same complaint about him. This guy has left a trail of scorched earth everywhere he's been. Yet people, many on this board, can't seem to get past the name of the back of the jersey. This is a guy that didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to KG. WTFU.

nkdlunch
11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Hell be happy to come off the bench for Ginobili.

what? how do you know this for sure? or are you just making shit up?

Up til today, marbury has been all about himself, and him being the star of any team he has been in. what makes you think this will be different?

Ryvin1
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Up til today, marbury has been all about himself, and him being the star of any team he has been in. what makes you think this will be different?

If he doesn't you can just WAIVE him... low risk, high reward possibility I think.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Bullshit. Why in the hell do you think he'd be content coming off the bench, when he knows that he's instantly one of the most talented guys on the roster? Also, what the hell has this guy accomplished? You're acting like this guy is Magic Johnson? Dude has never won shit. He's never played the game for no one else but himself. Wake up man!

bahaha.....i never even gave the assumption that he as even near Magic Johnsons level. You guys are always complaining that the spurs are unathletic and cant score the ball. Marubury will bring the team scoring. Also you act as though hes going to destroy the team. cmon man, im sure youre a smart intelligent logical thinker. Do you think marbury will be a cancer to the team and make it unfunctional? He has never won becuase he has been selfish. Ive never said he wasnt a horrible team player. I just think he has changed his viewpoints, i think every one deserves a second chance to turn a new leaf. The Spurs need scoring and this guy can bring it.

I ASSUME he could come down to this decision. Get paid to start and lose? OR get paid less to come off the bench and win?

its a crossroads im sure hes contemplated. I think hes willing to take a smaller role to win.

HarlemHeat37
11-12-2008, 01:20 PM
a lot of bullshit being said about Steph..

I live in NY, I've met Marbury several times, I'm witnessing first-hand the bullshit the media and the team is saying about him..

first of all, you don't say no to talent..if he signed with this team, he WOULDN'T sign a big contract, it would be relatively small..if it doesn't work out, he won't play..but my question is, why wouldn't it work out?..

-Marbury is HIGHLY motivated to prove his MANY doubters wrong..similar to Rasheed Wallace when he joined the Pistons, similar to Ron Artest this year..there's NO WAY Steph further tarnishes his legacy by being a team cancer, since that's how he's already viewed..Marbury seems like he genuinely wants to win, and he realizes that would change his entire image..

-A lot of you underestimate OUR team..Pop is THE BEST coach in the NBA, and it's not even close IMO..Tim Duncan is at worst the 2nd best player of this generation and a top 10 player of all-time..I think people are underestimating the respect that EVERYBODY in the NBA has for these 2, and I think their impact is being forgotten here..there's no way Marbury would be able to pull anything off with Popovich and Duncan on this team..everybody knows our organization is the best in basketball right now, and they all know how we do it..Marbury would obviously know that coming into this situation..

-We don't need Steph to play the 1(obviously), but he could easily play a backup SG role..he's never had a coach like Pop to motivate him and force him to play defense, and everybody knows he's still a talented player..I'd LOVE to see any team in the NBA stop a combination of Parker/Ginobili/Mason/Steph/Hill..that's easily the best backcourt in the NBA, and would make up for our frontcourt problems..

-Marbury has a crazy personality, but he's a CLASS act..most people in NY love Steph..he's one of the best guys in the NBA when it comes to the community, he's always out here with the kids and helping neighborhoods..he's matured a lot since his Minnesota days..

my main thought here is that I don't see how somebody can be a "team cancer" playing for our team..Marbury would know the situation COMING IN..IF HE SIGNED WITH US, HE WOULD OBVIOUSLY REALIZE HE'D BE BEHIND PARKER AND GINOBILI..he would obviously know that coming into the situation, so clearly it would be irrelevant if he signed..he understands our goal is to win a title and how our organization is ran..if he wants to start, he'll sign with a different team..but if he does sign here, then he clearly realizes what his role would be..Marbury just wants to play..he came to camp thinking he was going to play, because that's what they told him..he was lied to by D'Antoni and the Knicks organization..he's obviously interested in playing basketball..he already has the money, he would be playing for free this year(basically)..

SpurSupremacist
11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Some people need to wake up and realize this Spurs team is shit. Duncan is out there playing with a bunch of scrubs. If they don't make jump shots, they won't win a single game. I loved Finley... 3 years ago. Sure, he's good for 10 minutes a night, but he's not someone you give the ball to and look for scoring, like the Spurs are forced to do now. It's a joke. Yes, Marbury is selfish. THAT'S A GOOD THING. Go out there and gun. As a previous poster mentioned, he would instantly be one of the most talented players on the roster. I don't have a problem with him being selfish and taking shots at the expense of players like Ime Udoka, George Hill and Desmond Farmer(who the hell is this guy btw?). Roll the fucking dice. Maybe if the Spurs scrub front office did that once in awhile, we'd still have Scola on the roster, or maybe even Artest.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Do you think marbury will be a cancer to the team and make it unfunctional?
Yes. Because there are too many complaints from players that indicate they hate playing with the guy. I'm sure you follow the NBA, just like the rest of us. Can you find one player that has spoken out and stated how much they love playing with the guy?

He has never won becuase he has been selfish. Ive never said he wasnt a horrible team player. I just think he has changed his viewpoints, i think every one deserves a second chance to turn a new leaf. The Spurs need scoring and this guy can bring it.

No one is disputing his talents at all. The question is, at what risk are you willing to take, as an organization, to solicit his services? Also, tell me what exactly has you convinced that he's changed his selfish ways?

jag
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
It seems that those against signing Marbury are under the assumption that we'd be stuck with him if it doesn't work out. This is obviously not the case...

Marbury > vaughn, hill, finley...etc.

If it isn't working out, you just sit the guy on the bench, and if he can't keep his mouth shut...you cut him.

MannyIsGod
11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
It seems that those against signing Marbury are under the assumption that we'd be stuck with him if it doesn't work out. This is obviously not the case...

Marbury > vaughn, hill, finley...etc.

If it isn't working out, you just sit the guy on the bench, and if he can't keep his mouth shut...you cut him.

No shit! How does anyone turn away Marbury at the min? Especially on a 2-4 team?

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 01:27 PM

I live in NY, I've met Marbury several times, I'm witnessing first-hand the bullshit the media and the team is saying about him..

first of all, you don't say no to talent..if he signed with this team, he WOULDN'T sign a big contract, it would be relatively small..if it doesn't work out, he won't play..but my question is, why wouldn't it work out?..

-Marbury is HIGHLY motivated to prove his MANY doubters wrong..similar to Rasheed Wallace when he joined the Pistons, similar to Ron Artest this year..there's NO WAY Steph further tarnishes his legacy by being a team cancer, since that's how he's already viewed..Marbury seems like he genuinely wants to win, and he realizes that would change his entire image..

-A lot of you underestimate OUR team..Pop is THE BEST coach in the NBA, and it's not even close IMO..Tim Duncan is at worst the 2nd best player of this generation and a top 10 player of all-time..I think people are underestimating the respect that EVERYBODY in the NBA has for these 2, and I think their impact is being forgotten here..there's no way Marbury would be able to pull anything off with Popovich and Duncan on this team..everybody knows our organization is the best in basketball right now, and they all know how we do it..Marbury would obviously know that coming into this situation..

-We don't need Steph to play the 1(obviously), but he could easily play a backup SG role..he's never had a coach like Pop to motivate him and force him to play defense, and everybody knows he's still a talented player..I'd LOVE to see any team in the NBA stop a combination of Parker/Ginobili/Mason/Steph/Hill..that's easily the best backcourt in the NBA, and would make up for our frontcourt problems..

-Marbury has a crazy personality, but he's a CLASS act..most people in NY love Steph..he's one of the best guys in the NBA when it comes to the community, he's always out here with the kids and helping neighborhoods..he's matured a lot since his Minnesota days..

my main though here is that I don't see how somebody can be a "team cancer" playing for our team..Marbury would know the situation COMING IN..IF HE SIGNED WITH US, HE WOULD OBVIOUSLY REALIZE HE'D BE BEHIND PARKER AND GINOBILI..he would obviously know that coming into the situation, so clearly it would be irrelevant if he signed..he understands our goal is to win a title and how our organization is ran..if he wants to start, he'll sign with a different team..but if he does sign here, then he clearly realizes what his role would be..

You make fine arguments for Steph. I'm sure Steph has a "chip on his shoulder". That's good. He probably wants to prove people wrong - that's even better. But you cannot discount the fact that this guy has been a glorified, stat sheet-filling, loser everywhere he's been. Despite his astonishing talents, there's nothing in his basketball mentality that I can point to and say, "this guy is willing to sacrifice this in order for the team to be successful". This is simply no evidence at all.

Final point. If you bring him aboard, what do you do with Mason?

MannyIsGod
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
BTW Marbury wasn't considered a cancer when he was on a Suns team that was a thorn in our side.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I dont see why SENORSPUR looks at it like a life or death situation in terms of business for the Spurs. IF he doent work out, bench him of trade him or release him. Its that simple.

HARLEMHEAT laid it out very well. He can still ball and once Manu and Tony come back wel will have the best backcourt in the NBA and its not even close. Those people who look at Marubury as the worst team player in the NBA listen to the new york media too much. They want to bury this guy and look for any story to put in the paper to smear him.

Plus Marbury claims to be a born again Christian and says he has changed his ways and mindset on life. He has already said that basketball is not everything in his life anymore. Its God. The guy has matured by miles and deserves a shot again.

kace
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Oberto will make sure this insane move never happens.

he hates marbury since marbury broke his hand that prevented Oberto from playing in the Argentina gold medal game. According to Oberto, Marbury was trying to injure him since USA was losing that game.

so, manu probably doesn't like him either.

and i remember him trash talking a lot to TP when he arrived in NBA.

he's an asshole. he's a loser. we don't need another guard.

Marbury in a spurs uniform would be so painful to watch.

lefty
11-12-2008, 01:32 PM
It's not gonna happen

8ft.tall.tejano
11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
i say bring him in...
we need a player who has that hunger, all he wants to do is play and win...being less than a bench warmer for almost 6 months will hurt any players psyche...besides, at this point in his career, he knows his weakness' and knows that a no-bullshit coach like pop, not an igo-addict like thomas, or a pushover like d'antoni, would give him the discipline he needs...

HarlemHeat37
11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm not discounting it..my belief is more in our organization and our team..IF Steph was to sign here, he would obviously know what he was getting himself into, so I don't think it would be a problem..he knows he isn't going to play ahead of Parker and Ginobili, he knows Tim is the main option..he knows he'd have to play Pop's way..he would HAVE to know this coming into the situation, otherwise, he wouldn't sign here..

I'm not really worried about Roger's minutes, because it would just be dependent on the situation..it's just good to have more options on a team that has notorious scoring droughts..Finley's minutes would be at 0, same with Vaughn..I imagine Bowen's minutes would go down(like they should)..the main thing with Steph is that he gives us options, and he would allow us to rest our guys more during the season..it would just be good to have a DEEP bench when we need some guys to do certain things..

if Parker is struggling, we have Hill, Marbury and Mason at the point..if Manu is struggling, we have Marbury and Mason behind him..if Mason is struggling off the bench, we have Marbury..if Marbury struggles, we have Parker, Mason and Hill..

it just gives us a lot of options, and different ways to take advantage of other teams, depending on the matchups..

I don't think Oberto and Manu disliking him is relevant here..it happens in the NBA all the time..how many fights did MJ get into with his teammates? happened all the time..Shaq and Kobe? hated each other..

Manu is a WARRIOR and all he wants to do is win..that's why he comes off the bench..I guarantee he would put aside his dislike if it means the Spurs will be a better team..Ginobili is a winner, and that's what winners do..

BTW, I don't know if Steph would actually sign..not necessarily on him, but aren't we ALWAYS rumored to bring in every free agent? it just doesn't happen anymore..

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Look at the teams Stephon played with in the past, young immature people as teammates.

People you are around have a major influence on who you will be as a person. Being around the Wolves of the past influenced him to be a horrible team player. Even with that suns team who had no identity yet.

With the Spurs hes going to be under the thumb of the Big 3 and Pop. No question. He knows his role.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Ginobili/Marbury
Bowen/Mason/Udoka
Duncan/Mahinmi
Oberto/Thomas

i dont see no problem there

Spurs Brazil
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
If he's avaliable I 'd like to see him in Spurs uniform

InK
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
It just boils down to money. If spurs land him for a few mill (via some miracle), why not. Taking his contract as it is would be moronic, and if something like that were to happen, it would just signify we are in a state of utter panic. Which we aint.

koriwhat
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Marbury in a spurs uniform would be so painful to watch.

as painful as watching finley's production drop to 0? i think not...

i like finley but his production is mediocre these days except for a few gimme games here and there. i'd take a flier on starbury.

baseline bum
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
having Marbury on the team would stunt Hill's development, which, in the long term, is bad for the Spurs. Short term effects does not need mentioning since we can all come up with the worse case scenarios on our own.

Having Marbury on this team would stunt Vaughn's ability to come off the IR.

MannyIsGod
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Having Marbury on this team would stunt Vaughn's ability to come off the IR.

:lmao

:tu

baseline bum
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
For those who are touting Marbury-to-the-Spurs, what do you expect is to happen when TP and Manu come back from injury?

Glenn Robinson minutes.

Do you really expect Starbury will he happy coming of the bench behind anyone.

Not really, and I would start Hill over him. Still, the Spurs need offense for a month, and he could provide it.

No matter how talented is he, do you really expect him to "blend in". Also, think about the logjam that will ensue with Pop trying to find minutes for TP, Mason, Hill, Manu, Finley and Starbury.

See my first reply in this post.

There's no doubt Starbury is talented and can score. My issue is that he's an utterly selfish ball player, who's been a bad personality fit everywhere he's been.

Which is why you cut his ass if he pulls any crap. That's also why he gets Bonner minutes once we have TP/Hill/Manu to play the point.

jag
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
No shit! How does anyone turn away Marbury at the min? Especially on a 2-4 team?

Because posters here have become delusional.

Not really, and I would start Hill over him. Still, the Spurs need offense for a month, and he could provide it.

I think you might be underestimating how good Marbury really is.
I'd have no problem with Marbury starting at the 2 spot even when Manu does come back.

DROB4EVER
11-12-2008, 02:17 PM
If he lands in S.A. he would not have to be a leader, he could prove to help us out.
His size allows him to play the 2 and he can get to the rim and finish, plus having made a bundle of cash, and is now 30 maybe he wants to win before he leaves the game.

Im not sold on him at all but a min deal for a guy who can score and break down teams D, him and parker on the floor with manu tim and say Ian could be a nightmare for teams. 3 guys who can break you down and shoot, with 2 bigs who can finish....not bad!

Still I dont think the Knicks are gonna let him go.

Taking it to the Hole
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Right now we have to be pratical...we need scoring and a player who can create their own shot. I am not too worried about what will happen when Manu and TP come back because they both won't be in playing shape yet and won't be demanding heavy minutes.

Manu will be more than likely coming off the bench. Tony may start, but he isn't going to be playing heavy duty minutes before the All-Star break. If an issue would arise, it wouldn't be until after the All-Star break. I don't think that will happen though. Marbury isn't going to get all of the minutes but at least he gives us another threat out there on the court. He isn't dumb...he knows this team is about the Big 3 and being around a vet ball club will reel in any outbursts that may happen. I say it is worth a try, we really don't have anything to lose.

benefactor
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Well everyone seems to have their opinions based on his attitude...and neither side seems to think they are wrong. So lets just take this from a more logical standpoint.

We have 4 back court players that would be considered first in line...Parker, Manu, Mason and Hill. Then you throw in Finley...which leads me to circumvent a few arguments before they come at me. For one...Finley is not getting traded and his minutes are basically guaranteed. If you have been watching the Spurs at all while he has been with the team you know this to be true. Pop's affections for him are blind and he is going to get 20ish minutes a game minimum. Two...I don't want to see any projected lineups that try to fit Marbury in by sticking Finley at SF. He is a big SG. He starts at SG and comes off the bench at SG. He only plays SF in lineups where we are looking for more scoring i.e. side by side with Manu or Roger....and those minutes are limited because he is such a defensive liability.

So now that we have established that Finley will be a part of the rotation, where does and undersized SG like Marbury fit? He is not going to play 3rd point...and he is going to struggle to find minutes behind the three other SG's. Over his last two meaningful seasons('05-'07), he averaged 16ppg...but he needed 37min a game to do that. He has never even been close to a 40% 3pt shooter. Heck, in seasons where he has played 60+ games he has only reached 35% a couple of times...and as guard in our offensive scheme this is something he will be required to do.

I say all of that to say this...is it really worth the roster spot? In a Western Conference where size matters is it worth sacrificing a much needed big for an undersized guard who may or may not get enough minutes in our rotation to make an impact? Even now we are still staring at a dilemma in finding that guy that will effectively guard Dirk, West and Gasol. If you look at our roster, there is just no room. Farmer is probably gone when Manu gets back and if Gist comes back next year he will probably take Vaughn's spot and Manu/Mason will split some time at the point to backup Hill and Parker.

benefactor
11-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Ginobili/Marbury
Bowen/Mason/Udoka
Duncan/Mahinmi
Oberto/Thomas

i dont see no problem there
I do. You have Mason at SF. He is a pure SG. Where is Finley?

Taking it to the Hole
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM

On the bench where he needs to stay! :lol

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM

You assume Finley will NEED to get 20 mpg if hypothetically marbury were to sign with us. believe me not even pops blind love will hinder the suprior guards minutes for finley

duncan228
11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
STEPH EYES SPOT WITH SAN ANTONIO (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11122008/sports/knicks/steph_eyes_spot_with_san_antonio_138245.htm)
By Marc Berman

SAN ANTONIO - Stephon Marbury didn't go around house-hunting in Alamo City yesterday, but the exiled point guard acknowledged if the KnicksNew York Knicks cut him and point-guard-light Spurs show interest, San Antonio would be on the top of his list.

Marbury received another snub from Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni yesterday when injured Eddy CurryEddy Curry was activated over him for last night's game vs. the Spurs to replace absent Danilo Gallinari. Curry still has a knee injury and hasn't been cleared to play. But Curry was in a Knicks uniform as a blue-and-orange ornament piece while Marbury sat behind the bench in a red-and-black rugby.

KNICKS BLOG

Marbury would love to be on the opposite bench nowadays, realizing there is no future on his hometown New York.

"Who wouldn't want to play for San Antonio?" Marbury told The Post last night. "To play with Tim Duncan, who would complain about that? That's a great organization, they win championships. They have a nice system and I like (Gregg) Popovich as coach. I can play 1 or the 2. If I was a free agent, yeah."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has said he may look for a point guard after losing Tony Parker for a month. The only point guards on the roster are rookie George Hill, who started last night, and Jacque Vaughn. Donnie Walsh is not ready to waive Marbury.

Marbury has not played in the first seven games and has been inactive the last six. Marbury's associates believe D'Antoni's treatment of him borders on malicious.

When told the absurdity of dressing a player who can't play, D'Antoni said, "I know, but we get back to the same thing. I just think it's better that I'm going to play my guys. And that's who's going to play. So there's no reason to change course right now."

Marbury wasn't surprised.

"Mike said he's going forward and not playing me," Marbury said. "I'll wait the whole year if I have to."

DROB4EVER
11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Finley is a SF who thinks he is a SG. SG are normally more consistant shooters and can handle the ball above avg. Fin can do neither.

Fin can defend 2s but he does Ok against slower 3s. Fin needs to stay at SF and when Manu returns wen Fin plays it will be at the 3.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
the knicks are going to waive him soon. theyre just waiting to see if anybody is willing to trade for him. Theyll pull the trigger and Stephon knows this

benefactor
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
the knicks are going to waive him soon. theyre just waiting to see if anybody is willing to trade for him. Theyll pull the trigger and Stephon knows this
Nope. He is making over 20mil this season. There would have to be a buyout and Marbury would have to agree with it.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Nope. He is making over 20mil this season. There would have to be a buyout and Marbury would have to agree with it.

waive, buyout....whatever...i meant buyout

benefactor
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
You assume Finley will NEED to get 20 mpg if hypothetically marbury were to sign with us. believe me not even pops blind love will hinder the suprior guards minutes for finley
Ok...one of Finleys main jobs is to knock down open 3's. Care to enlighten us on how you will add 7ish percent onto Marbury's average?

The Truth #6
11-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Even assuming his attitude could somehow change, a HUGE if, he has very low BB IQ. He couldn't grasp the concept of the System.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 03:10 PM
"Who wouldn't want to play for San Antonio?"

Translation: I'm going where the most money is.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I dont see why SENORSPUR looks at it like a life or death situation in terms of business for the Spurs. IF he doent work out, bench him of trade him or release him. Its that simple.

FYI, I don't need to listen to the New York media. If you followed his career and observed, perhaps you'd come to the same conclusion. Again, this is not an issue of his talent level or his ability to score. Like an overzealous GM, you're only infatuated with his talent, yet you're ignoring his history and how he would integrate with the other players and into the chemistry of the squad.

Unless the Knicks buy him out, it's all a moot point anyway.

duncan228
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Mike Monroe: If wishes were fishes ... (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/mike_monroe_if.html)

The headline in this morning's New York Post was an eye catcher: Steph Eyes Spot With San Antonio.

Steph, of course, is Stephon Marbury, the New York Knicks point guard whom new Knicks coach Mike D'"Antoni, with the blessings of new GM Donnie Walsh, has banished to the inactive list. Marbury has a career scoring average of 19.7 points, but is regarded by many -- and this appears to include D'Antoni -- as the ultimate me-first player.

But Marbury, he of the $20.84 million contract, was with the Knicks at AT&T Center on Tuesday, so The Post's beat writer, Marc Berman, asked him how he would feel about playing for the Spurs if the Knicks were to waive him.

Marbury, of course, said he would love to play for the Spurs, and for Gregg Popovich.

Well, duh. The Spurs have won four NBA titles since the time Marbury entered the league, in 1996. As he put it himself: "Who wouldn't want to play for San Antonio?"

In the world of New York tabloid journalism, this becomes "Steph Eyes Spot With San Antonio."

The Spurs, of course, aren't allowed to say anything, good or bad, about a player on another team's roster.

But take this to the bank, and consider it informed speculation: As long as Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford are running the Spurs' basketball operations, you won't see Stephon Marbury in silver and black.

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
for what its worth, hes probably better than 7 guys on our team.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
For those of you that like the idea of Marbury, imagine a box full of anthrax with beautiful breasts attached to it. Now stop staring at the tits.

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
id rather develop hill though. that would be a way better payout.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
for what its worth, hes probably got more talent than 12 guys on our team.

Fixed, and irrelevant. Again I ask: If he's so good, how come he couldn't keep the Knicks from stinking?

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Fixed, and irrelevant. Again I ask: If he's so good, how come he couldn't keep the Knicks from stinking?

Amen....and if he's such a must have, why has he been banished to the bench by DanTony? Do you think he smarter than Pop or knows something the rest of the league doesn't?

Look at the trail of dead bodies, people!

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 03:35 PM

well hes talented but i never said he was a winner. same could probably be said about every knick on that team when marbury was the starter.

kace
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
as painful as watching finley's production drop to 0? i think not...

i like finley but his production is mediocre these days except for a few gimme games here and there. i'd take a flier on starbury.

you've got a point with Finley.

but for me, even watching Marbury playing well and helping us would be painful if he stays the same asshole that he's always been.

I'm a Spurs fan for a lot of reason. One of them is that we usually don't promote this kind of player.

Being a fan means having pleasure watching his team. especially for someone like me who doesn't leave in SA. and i wouldn't have with Marbury in a major role for us.

howbouthemspurs
11-12-2008, 03:55 PM
marbary is a playa! i think he would do great as a back up!,, if he want to win a title then thats what hell have to do!

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 04:26 PM
This would be Rodman all over again.

sweet

Dramon
11-12-2008, 04:31 PM
my main thought here is that I don't see how somebody can be a "team cancer" playing for our team..Marbury would know the situation COMING IN..IF HE SIGNED WITH US, HE WOULD OBVIOUSLY REALIZE HE'D BE BEHIND PARKER AND GINOBILI..he would obviously know that coming into the situation, so clearly it would be irrelevant if he signed..he understands our goal is to win a title and how our organization is ran..if he wants to start, he'll sign with a different team..but if he does sign here, then he clearly realizes what his role would be..Marbury just wants to play..he came to camp thinking he was going to play, because that's what they told him..he was lied to by D'Antoni and the Knicks organization..he's obviously interested in playing basketball..he already has the money, he would be playing for free this year(basically)..

I don't think you guys understand though how people who have "cancer" like personalities destroy chemistry. They don't have to actively whine and bitch to and even if theyre trying to be positive sometimes small things they do can have large effects on destroying much larger and seemingly solid chemistry.

Just little comments here and there he makes off the cuff that get rookies and players lower in the rotation thinking..."wow i really should get PT, pop is an asshole.." Even though it doesnt direct manu, ginobili, or duncan directly its enough to slowly start eating away at the lower tier Spurs players mentality of "all for the team" and now theyre thinking more about themselves.

And then you have all the new rookies on the team. You're George Hill and even though he's helpful...Tony Parker is kind of a dick becuase he's french and Jacque Vaughn isn't much better. Now you have Stephon Marbury coming in and telling you that you have potential to be the next Tony Parker...and this tiny little seed is planted in the back of Hill's head, while Marbury thinks he's being helpful and giving George Hill a peptalk so he'll play better.

Also you have Oberto who harbors a small grudge against Marbury from the Olympics...so Ginobili has his boy's back and even though they are still professional with him theres a tiny bit of we dont like him. Oberto says some small comment about how Marbury and Bonner hears it...Bonner takes it the wrong way and starts hating Marbury straight up....etc etc

Now all of the sudden you have this all this extra stuff distracting the Spurs from practice and basketball.

Or everyone stays unified against Marbury...but he makes crazy statements and generally is delusional about what type of player he is...now you have a distraction for the team that generally likes things to run smoothly.

It doesn't have to be huge stuff guys to have huge overall effects on the team.

As far as all the people saying high risk, low reward...you guys are gonna be the FIRST people to dog on the Spurs FO when they waive him by saying it was a waste of money...and what were they thinking.

manufor3
11-12-2008, 04:35 PM
You all are crazy. You act like Marbury is gonig to destroy this team after 6 years of being together.

I told you guys already. He will bring offense and more fire power that this team lacks!
Whats the big deal?? You think a guy like Marbury is going to destroy this team with guys like Pop,Tim,Bruce and Manu on this team??

I know he wants to win now. I think hes out to change everyones viewpoint on him. As a die hard spurs fan i say YES!! NO doubt. I encourage this organization to go after him IF he gets bought out.

starbury hogs the ball and would stunt hill's development. plus when tony is back, hill would get no minutes

mVp
11-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I really don't see this happening... but I might be wrong lol

ManuTastic
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Pipedream, with the possiblity of being a pipenightmare. No thanks.
I wouldn't want "Steph" taking minutes from Hill and/or Mason. I'd rather have our real team gel into a cohesive unit for later in the season than get a few buckets from a rented gun, even at the cost of 2-3 games. And that's about all the difference Starbury could possibly make in the W/L column, anyway.

And, as others have said here, we need size much more anyway.

11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
i am actually open to the idea of getting marbury and waving farmer if he signs for whatever is left of the MLE. popovich will definitely keep marbury on a short leash and play him in front of vaughn. after being benched by the knicks, marbury is looking to prove himself. even if it's for the wrong reasons, he will act like a team player and be unselfish just to prove the knicks wrong. this guy can score. i remember people thinking artest wouldn't be a good fit on the spurs. now artest is on his best behavior in the rockets.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
i am actually open to the idea of getting marbury and waving farmer if he signs for whatever is left of the MLE. popovich will definitely keep marbury on a short leash and play him in front of vaughn. after being benched by the knicks, marbury is looking to prove himself. even if it's for the wrong reasons, he will act like a team player and be unselfish just to prove the knicks wrong. this guy can score. i remember people thinking artest wouldn't be a good fit on the spurs. now artest is on his best behavior in the rockets.

thank you

Ronaldo McDonald
11-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Wanting Marbury would be a sign of desperation. And by desperation I mean you don't have a fifith starter because eveyone else catastrophically died in a plane accident or something...

Ronaldo McDonald
11-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Someone post that interview (the one where he sounds crazy) he gave so everyone can see how f'd up this guy really is.

manufor3
11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

listen, artest is on a team that would be better with him. wed be better without

spursnatic
11-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I would love to see him on the SPURS roster!!! Has anyone been watching the SPURS this season or what?...He could get some points, which we are lacking. He can play the 1 or 2 just as good as anyone in the NBA. And you never know unless you give him a chance?...This would work out (Marbury,Parker, Vaughn and Hill at the 1) (Ginobili,Mason,Farmer or Marbury at the 2) (Bowen, Finley and Udoka at the 3) (Duncan, Tolliver and Bonner at the 4) And Oberto, Thomas and Mahinmi at the 5. That would get us deep on every position like other teams in the league. Plus how do all of you know that Marbury can't change or hasn't already?...Spurs are a team that changes alot of people when they come in. Because they know what they are about!!!!...And I am sure Marbury has enough money already, I think he would rather have a championship, than to screw up a teams chemistry!!!:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

temujin
11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Plus Marbury claims to be a born again Christian and says he has changed his ways and mindset on life. He has already said that basketball is not everything in his life anymore. Its God. The guy has matured by miles and deserves a shot again.

That's an additional minus.
No freaks.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
That's an additional minus.
No freaks.

i suppose ur not one?

temujin
11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't think Oberto and Manu disliking him is relevant here..it happens in the NBA all the time..how many fights did MJ get into with his teammates? happened all the time..Shaq and Kobe? hated each other..

Manu is a WARRIOR and all he wants to do is win..that's why he comes off the bench..I guarantee he would put aside his dislike if it means the Spurs will be a better team..Ginobili is a winner, and that's what winners do..

You probably don't know how argies run business......

temujin
11-12-2008, 06:58 PM
i suppose ur not one?

You suppose right.

Someone that is NOT intelligent as a non Christian DOES NOT become intelligent because he thinks he found God, all of a sudden.

D'antoni has been pretty straight: no Marbury whatsoever.
No nonsense.
No bull shit.
No freaks.

Why on earth should the Spurs swallow their business philosophy to breing home this guy?

On top, I didn't know about this fracture thing with Oberto.
This pretty much seals it.

temujin
11-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Good post.

Now I'll try to get a hold on the D'antoni version of the story.
It might not be the same your friend has told you.

AC#21_TD ERA
11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Why not. The guy would help us immensly and im willing to take the risk. The only problem that he'll bring with him is when Tony and Manu come back from injury Marbury would go back to the bench but he's not a bench player nor is he a shooting gurard so that's something to consider. So in the short term fuckin oath but in the long term time will tell if it's a success.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 09:53 PM
WOW....and these posters want Vaughn over Marbury.....unbelievable.

Roxsfan
11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
maybe marbury can help u guys out until parker and manu come back.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
well hes talented but i never said he was a winner. same could probably be said about every knick on that team when marbury was the starter.

Except that several of those same guys are doing well now that Marbury's inactive.

jag
11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Except that several of those same guys are doing well now that Marbury's inactive.

You're obviously ignoring the fact that he only played in 24 games last season. Do you honestly think that Marbury was the sole reason for their lack of team chemistry, bad attitudes, poor offense, poor defense, and overall ineptitude as a basketball team (while only playing 24 games)?

You don't find it strange that Eddie Curry, Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, and Malik Rose couldn't gel and find a winning basketball formula with Isaiah Thomas leading the way...

I fail to see how all of that was Marbury's fault. Their relative success this season has more to do with a new coach, a new philosophy, and new additions to the team, and less to do with Marbury being gone.

Sure, Marbury's a "me"-guy but laying the blame solely on him is ridiculous.
He's got more talent than 12 of the players on our 15 man roster...if he's available for cheap then why not? If he doesn't pick up the system or shows attitude problems he can be waived. This is a very simple concept.

And to everyone who thinks the Spurs won't stray from their "high character players" image...Nick Van Exel, Damon Stoudemire...and those guys combined don't have the talent Marbury has.

Obstructed_View
11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
You're obviously ignoring the fact that he only played in 24 games last season. Do you honestly think that Marbury was the sole reason for their lack of team chemistry, bad attitudes, poor offense, poor defense, and overall ineptitude as a basketball team (while only playing 24 games)?
You're obviously ignoring the fact that he's not playing RIGHT NOW and the Knicks are way better than they were, with the exact same roster with the exception of Duhon.

By the way, Marbury played 74, 60 and 82 games the three seasons before that and they averaged a scintillating 29 wins per year. Did you happen to check the record for those 24 games he played in last year?

You don't find it strange that Eddie Curry, Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, and Malik Rose couldn't gel and find a winning basketball formula with Isaiah Thomas leading the way...
I don't find it remotely strange; guess who Isiah's favorite player was...

I fail to see how all of that was Marbury's fault. Their relative success this season has more to do with a new coach, a new philosophy, and new additions to the team, and less to do with Marbury being gone.
Chandler, Collins, Crawford, Lee, Randolph, Richardson, Robinson and Rose are all still there. Either that means Chris Duhon of the 8 ppg and 6 apg >>>> Marbury or, like you said, you fail to see how it's Marbury's fault.

He's got more talent than 12 of the players on our 15 man roster
Sounds familiar, almost word for word. Where did I hear that? Oh yeah, I'm the one who said it yesterday right before I mentioned that it's completely irrelevant.

...if he's available for cheap then why not? If he doesn't pick up the system or shows attitude problems he can be waived. This is a very simple concept.
Since he won't ever be available for cheap, then it's a moot argument. There's not a guy currently on the roster I'd cut for him, particularly with Malik Hairston sitting out there.

Spurtacus
11-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Marbury would be an upgrade over Vaughn. Marbury >Van Exel>Stoudamire.

xtremesteven33
11-14-2008, 12:50 AM
If what Marbury says is true then he should just take a little paycut so that the Knicks could buy him out. He wants every penny of his contract this year and the knicks dont want to pay all of it. Thats why the hold up is going on right now. Whos going to blink first. It has NOTHING to do with him being a cancer to this team. Its about money. Plus Dantoni has NEVER liked Stephon, even back to his Phoenix days.

Dantoni traded Marbury years ago. So theres already a little animosity going on. Spurs need a scorer desperately. Marbury would be ideal for our needs right now. No spurs fans if he were to join he would not destroy this team, You think Pop or Tim is going to let that happen??? Hell be in Pops doghouse before you can say "STARbury".

Whoever here says they wouldnt sign marbury for the cheap if he was available doesnt know what theyre are talking about. Escpecially in the spurs situation at this moment. they need someone, anyone. Roll the dice with Marbury.

SenorSpur
11-14-2008, 01:56 AM
If what Marbury says is true then he should just take a little paycut so that the Knicks could buy him out. He wants every penny of his contract this year and the knicks dont want to pay all of it. Thats why the hold up is going on right now. Whos going to blink first. It has NOTHING to do with him being a cancer to this team. Its about money. Plus Dantoni has NEVER liked Stephon, even back to his Phoenix days..
Did you ever stop and wonder WHY D'Antoni doesn't like the guy? Do you think he's that dumb in that he would not activate a player whom he thought could help his team? The guy has done nothing in New York but put up gawdy, empty numbers. Yet you think he's a freaking cure-all.

Dantoni traded Marbury years ago. So theres already a little animosity going on. Spurs need a scorer desperately. Marbury would be ideal for our needs right now. No spurs fans if he were to join he would not destroy this team, You think Pop or Tim is going to let that happen??? Hell be in Pops doghouse before you can say "STARbury"..
You act as though it's a perfect fit and it's far from it. Just because a guy can put up a bunch of points, doesn't make him a great fit for a team that prides himself on team chemstry and ball movement - something this guy knows nothing about.

Whoever here says they wouldnt sign marbury for the cheap if he was available doesnt know what theyre are talking about. Escpecially in the spurs situation at this moment. they need someone, anyone. Roll the dice with Marbury.
And you're totally clueless about Pop's mantra - "get over yourself" - something Marbury clearly has not done. You're in deep denial as to the history of bad behavior associated with this guy. Everywhere he's been, other players have complained about his ball-hoggin', selfish style of play. Now you think because a player says "I found God", that all of a sudden he's a perfect fit. Sure, everybody deserves a second chance. But this guy was supposed to starting over, following his Minnesota stint, when he when to the Nets, then again with the Suns, then yet again with the Knicks. It's not going to happen - get over it.

Streakyshooter08
11-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Interesting...

Marbury And Walsh Begin Buyout Talks
Nov 14, 2008 7:14 AM EST

Friday's edition of the New York Post reports that Donnie Walsh and Stephon Marbury had 45 minutes of "prelminary discussions" about a contract buyout that would end Marbury's time as a Knick.

Marbury does not have an agent and was represented at the meeting by NBA Players Association attorney Hal Biagas.

Marc Berman cites a team source saying that Marbury could be a free-agent in a week.

According to a source, Marbury requested permission to talk with other clubs, a wish that Walsh is expected to grant soon.

The Heat and Celtics may have interest in bringing Marbury aboard. But as a condition of granting Marbury permission to find a new employer, Walsh may want Marbury to agree that he will not sign with an Eastern Conference team. Marbury reportedly would like to play for the Spurs.

The Knicks would be expected to sign Patrick Ewing Jr. to fill their available roster spot.

MoSpur
11-14-2008, 10:29 AM
I read the above a few minutes ago. I find it kind of strange that they are willing to talk buyout now when before they said they would not agree to it. Just a couple of days ago, Steph stated he would love to come to SA. NY would only agree to buyout his contract if he agrees not to play for an Eastern Conference team.

Hmm....

FlAVaK
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Just to remind you whom y`all talkin` about:

rYY338_JgvI

I`m curious about what he would say, if he`s going to play with Tim Duncan and ..eh.. this.. ..eh.. Leftie ..I Mean.. Argie ..eh.. Fabricio Oberto!
..You can`t beat that! - Yessir!

xtremesteven33
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Looks like SENORSPUR's worst nightmare is looking more and more interesting. Like i said in my other post, Marbury will be bought out for the right price.

I just want to say that IF, and thats a BIG IF Marbury were to be a spur, i know alot of these gnay sayers are going to jump on the Marbury wagon really quick. Pop is desperate at this point and needs a star player who can play with this current squad.

Marbury as a cancer and a destroyer is highly overrated and hopefully spurs fans can see that if the spurs pursue him.

rayray2k8
11-14-2008, 10:59 AM
At this point, spurs fans shouldnt be too picky about who they want on their roster..
It's a Low Risk/High Reward deal.
If he's willing to learn and do whatever it takes to win, then I'm sure spurs fans have nothing against that.
However..
If this guy starts to become the problem, I'm sure that Pop would be the first one to notice and cut this guy loose...
Remember, even if the spurs were to sign him, they wouldnt have to worry about a buy-out as big as the knicks would have to pay. :lol

That is if Marbury was serious about wanting to join the spurs...
Only time will tell.

xtremesteven33
11-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Spurs fans should be excited if anything. This guy is proven. Roll the dice Pop, Roll the dice

SenorSpur
11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Looks like SENORSPUR's worst nightmare is looking more and more interesting. Like i said in my other post, Marbury will be bought out for the right price.

I just want to say that IF, and thats a BIG IF Marbury were to be a spur, i know alot of these gnay sayers are going to jump on the Marbury wagon really quick. Pop is desperate at this point and needs a star player who can play with this current squad.

Marbury as a cancer and a destroyer is highly overrated and hopefully spurs fans can see that if the spurs pursue him.

Even if the Knicks do blink first and buy him out, we'll see if your Starbury "wet dream" comes to pass. Especially considering there are likely other teams that are more desparate to land him. You underestimate Pop's desparation if you think he's salivating over this guy.

If your wet dream does come to pass, you can drive the bandwagon on your own.

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
on the olympic team 2004, he had no problems playin under pop who was assistant anyway....

put him in a different environment, a winning environment could change him.....dude has not known what it feels like to win or be surrounded by guys who have won.

benefactor
11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't know why we keep entertaining this. To think that Marbury will go from a 20 million dollar payday to a 2 million dollar payday is pure insanity. He said he wants to come here...fine. Wake me up when our FO actually shows some interest.

MoSpur
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with xtremeSteven and RayRay. Spurs can't be too picky right now. The Spurs need help especially if Parker is out for more than a month. I love the fact of George Hill getting to start and getting some valuable experience right now, but I wouldn't mind Steph being a backup PG or SG for the Spurs right now because he has talent when it comes to putting the ball in the hole.

I feel that IF he does somehow land with the Spurs, a lot of these fans on here who were all against might change their minds like xtremeSteven said. The Spurs defense is getting back to norm, but they need help offensively. Steph can provide that.

benefactor
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Spurs fans should be excited if anything. This guy is proven. Roll the dice Pop, Roll the dice
A proven 32% three point shooter...which is something he would be required to do in our system.

hater
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
This guy is proven.

yeah, a proven asshole and terrible teammate.

anyhow this ain't gonna happen. keep dreaming though :rolleyes

Big P
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Guaranteed...if Marbury gets bought out & the Spurs DO NOT sign him, he will sign with one of our conference rivals & bone us every chance he gets.

MoSpur
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
It seems like it always happens that way. LOL. I wouldn't be upset if he didn't end up with the Spurs. I think the Spurs are okay without him, but also think the Spurs could use his help. I'm good either way.

hater
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Just to remind you whom y`all talkin` about:

rYY338_JgvI

I`m curious about what he would say, if he`s going to play with Tim Duncan and ..eh.. this.. ..eh.. Leftie ..I Mean.. Argie ..eh.. Fabricio Oberto!
..You can`t beat that! - Yessir!

"we gotta a youthier player"

SenorSpur
11-14-2008, 11:23 AM

"we gotta a youthier player"

Priceless....yet, at the same time, unfreakinbelieveable :lmao

If he honestly believed what he spouted, it's another example of his horrendously, low basketball IQ. There should be no mysteries as to why this guy has never had any team success.

rayray2k8
11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
eBS9hH9c4_s

Well since we're posting youtube vids, might as well use this one....
It's either this guy or J.V..
:rolleyes

jag
11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
You're obviously ignoring the fact that he's not playing RIGHT NOW and the Knicks are way better than they were, with the exact same roster with the exception of Duhon.

By the way, Marbury played 74, 60 and 82 games the three seasons before that and they averaged a scintillating 29 wins per year. Did you happen to check the record for those 24 games he played in last year?

Due to your blatant obsession with the guy, haven't bothered to take a peek at their overall record last year, have you? Your logic is like that of a small child. I'll keep it simple.

Fact: The knicks won 23 games last year.
Fact: Marbury played in 24 total games last year.
Fact: They were terrible with or without Marbury.

1. He was playing, they were terrible
2. He was riding the bench, they were terrible.
3. They have a new coach, and a new system (with a similar roster) and he's still riding the bench...they're much improved.
4. The new coach, new head of basketball operations, and completely new system on both offense and defense are the only real differences from last year.

Put it together, sweetheart.

Sounds familiar, almost word for word. Where did I hear that? Oh yeah, I'm the one who said it yesterday right before I mentioned that it's completely irrelevant.

When talking about him possibly playing on a team that cannot score,
you consider Marbury's talent (one of the best offensive players in the league) irrelevent? ok

Since he won't ever be available for cheap, then it's a moot argument. There's not a guy currently on the roster I'd cut for him, particularly with Malik Hairston sitting out there.

Sure it's a moot argument, but half of the garbage we discuss here are moot arguments.

Hypothetically speaking, if Marbury were bought out of his contract and was willing to sign for the minimum i'd like to see the Spurs go after him.

Did you really just mention "Malik Hairston"? I don't even like Marbury, but you're just being ridiculous.

I. Hustle
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
The Spurs so far this year are getting youthier

xtremesteven33
11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
People here who would rather have Vaughn/Hill over marbury should be taken to the shed....if you catch my drift

hater
11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
People here who would rather have Vaughn/Hill over marbury should be taken to the shed....if you catch my drift

you gonna take Pop and whole Spurs organization to the shed?? :rolleyes

galvatron3000
11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I expect the Spurs to make a run for his services if he gets bought out. I think him being a cancer to a young team is a reasonable thought but Tim, Bowen, Ginobili and Parker are the leaders not to mention Pop with Finley being a respected vet, he can't cause problems with those guys and survive. He'll be ok in Silver and Black. It's a risk worth taking and I don't believe Marbury is as bad now as he was years prior, just was in a horrible environment. I'd like to see him change scenery like Artest and come what may. He's definately be useful at his moment with what we have now. Get in game shape and we look very good down the stretch though the Laker and Jazz are the teams to gun for in the West.

xtremesteven33
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I expect the Spurs to make a run for his services if he gets bought out. I think him being a cancer to a young team is a reasonable thought but Tim, Bowen, Ginobili and Parker are the leaders not to mention Pop with Finley being a respected vet, he can't cause problems with those guys and survive. He'll be ok in Silver and Black. It's a risk worth taking and I don't believe Marbury is as bad now as he was years prior, just was in a horrible environment. I'd like to see him change scenery like Artest and come what may. He's definately be useful at his moment with what we have now. Get in game shape and we look very good down the stretch though the Laker and Jazz are the teams to gun for in the West.

Thank you.

Amazed here that some spurs fans would rather tank the season then sign marbury at an attempt to save it.....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

urunobili
11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
well look at the positive side if it happens... the starbury steve and barry's cheap collection would start going out in Spurs colors... therefore... buyable :tu

dbestpro
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
The one point that is over looked on Marbury is that he has averaged nearly 8 assists per game over his career. We have no one who can do that healthy or otherwise.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
The one point that is over looked on Marbury is that he has averaged nearly 8 assists per game over his career. We have no one who can do that healthy or otherwise.

Turnovers and wins are stats, too.

galvatron3000
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
He automatically become the second best player off the bench after Ginobili so yeah with a veteran team like SA I have confidence he'd be more an asset than distraction. Any distractions in SA will hit the door anyway and most players want to use SA as a springboard after their time is up or want to resign. He'll be fine.

crc21209
11-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I say bring his ass on, and if he fucks up, oh well cut his ass. But no way he fucks up here with Bruce, Tim, Pop and some of the other veterans around. I think he'll want to prove his doubters wrong and show that he can play and still has something left in the tank. Do it!

Kindergarten Cop
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Did you happen to check the record for those 24 games he played in last year?

Fact: The knicks won 23 games last year.
Fact: Marbury played in 24 total games last year.
Fact: They were terrible with or without Marbury.

I was just curious after reading the comments, so I checked it out. The Knicks went 6-18 (24%) with Marbury in the lineup and 17-41 (29%) without him last season.

m33p0
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
there is another reason why Pop would sign Marbury: to keep him away from the other western teams.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
there is another reason why Pop would sign Marbury: to keep him away from the other western teams.

Personally I hope he ends up a Laker. I don't normally root for opponents to have bad luck but the Spurs need something to buy them a little time.

duncan228
11-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Report: Knicks, Marbury talking buyout (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/14/marbury.knicks.ap/index.html)

angelbelow
11-15-2008, 04:43 AM
eBS9hH9c4_s

this video doesnt make me sad because mabury hit the shot but it does make me sad that drob is no longer around.

and damn that lineup is intense parker/ginobili/sjax/duncan/drob

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Report: Knicks, Marbury talking buyout (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/14/marbury.knicks.ap/index.html)

I don't think that headline really conveys the substance of the story. :lol

SpurSupremacist
11-15-2008, 05:03 AM
eBS9hH9c4_s

And 1.

Texas_Ranger
11-15-2008, 05:04 AM
eBS9hH9c4_s

at 1.06, it's said that we lost that game cause of ''lack of experiece''...:rollin...I gues we were really young back then!:wow

duncan228
11-15-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't think that headline really conveys the substance of the story. :lol

They did talk, it's just not going to go anywhere. :lol

It's an AP, I couldn't post the article.

#2!
11-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Do it give him a low money 1 or 2 year contract(max). I know its risky, but putting him in a reserve role once Tony comes back will give him a chance to prove that he's a team player. Plus, we would probably end up doing a trade for a big this year, with players no longer needed with Marbury around, or with Marbury himself after this season.

There's all these trades and signigns floating around out there, and I think the Spurs are gonna snag somebody along the course of the season.

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Western Conference
Don't dare compare Stephon Marbury to Stephen Jackson.

Just because Jackson was not your typical, reserved Spur back in 2003 when he helped San Antonio win a championship -- and just because Marbury did a little lobbying this week for consideration from the injury-ravaged Spurs if he becomes a free agent -- that doesn't mean you should expect to see Marbury's name on a list of potential fill-ins for sidelined Tony Parker.

Gregg Popovich got a lot out of Jackson in '03 and expressed interest in reuniting with Latrell Sprewell in recent years after coaching Spree in the early 1990s as a Golden State assistant. But I think we can safely say that Marbury is in a different category, which should explain why, based on everything I've heard, Steph won't be considered by the Spurs no matter how thin they seem while waiting for Parker and Manu Ginobili to heal.

If you're looking for a Texas team that will give Marbury a real look, NBA front-office sources say it's Dallas. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has a friendly relationship with Marbury, and Cuban's team clearly needs more scoring off its punchless bench. With Jason Terry operating primarily as a shooting guard these days, J.J. Barea is Dallas' primary backup to Jason Kidd at the point.

At this point, though, club sources say that the Mavs have merely resolved to talk with Marbury and consider the option if Steph continues to progress toward a buyout with the Knicks. There will be inevitable hesitations about what Marbury would do to the Mavs' chemistry -- which isn't looking terribly solid under new coach Rick Carlisle -- and louder questions about how he'd fit as an understudy to Kidd after those two were swapped for each other in the summer of 2000, after which Kidd led the Nets to back-to-back appearances in the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081115-16

spurscenter
11-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Anyone see this photo?

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/0c/fullj.b171db8ed556b987677bc1f4ac1a06b3/b171db8ed556b987677bc1f4ac1a06b3-getty-82994090dce_knicks_spur.jpg

m33p0
11-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Personally I hope he ends up a Laker. I don't normally root for opponents to have bad luck but the Spurs need something to buy them a little time.
you'd be relying on something that is entirely out of your control. but yeah, i can already see it happening. :lol

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Marbury Wants All His Money From Knicks

Nov 15, 2008 6:56 AM EST
After being treated like an outcast for the entire season to date, Stephon Marbury is not about to do the New York Knicks any financial favors.

According to the New York Daily News, Marbury reiterated Friday that he is not giving up any of his $21.9 million salary, which is something that chairman James Dolan does not want to do.

When asked about possibly taking less from the Knicks, Marbury said to a reporter, "If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80, what would you say?"

According to one team source, Marbury and GM Donnie Walsh have met at least four times since the start of the season but Thursday's sit-down was the first time that Marbury had been accompanied by lawyers.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55451/20081115/marbury_wants_all_his_money_from_knicks/

TJastal
11-15-2008, 12:30 PM
why in hell would any of you want Turdbury, unless you want a black hole on offense that shoots right around 40%

not to mention it would stunt the development of Hill, no thanks.

galvatron3000
11-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I welcome Marbury, and I hope he gets every penny that his CONTRACT says the Knicks owe him. Honoring a contract, wow what a new concept. Sheesh, you don't have to like the guy but he signed a contract and so did the Knicks, give hi his money and release him or trade him if you want to move on, if not who cares. Sign him Pop, most of us will get over it, I assure you.

tp2021
11-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Report: Knicks, Marbury talking buyout-(AP)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/14/marbury.knicks.ap/index.html

duncan228
11-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Forget Dallas, Golden State, Miami. Stephon Marbury and San Antonio an interesting, odd couple match (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/forget-dallas-golden-state-miami--stephon-marbury-and-san-antonio-an-interesting-odd-couple-match-ar49436.html)

NBA news mixed with analysis …

Their News: Who wouldn’t want to play for San Antonio?" Marbury told The Post last night. "To play with Tim Duncan, who would complain about that? That’s a great organization, they win championships. They have a nice system and I like (Gregg) Popovich as coach. I can play 1 or the 2. If I was a free agent, yeah."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has said he may look for a point guard after losing Tony Parker for a month. The only point guards on the roster are rookie George Hill, who started last night, and Jacque Vaughn. Donnie Walsh is not ready to waive Marbury. (New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11122008/sports/knicks/steph_eyes_spot_with_san_antonio_138245.htm))

Our Very Quick Analysis: For the longest time, I couldn’t see it. And didn’t want to see it. Coney Island’s flash and the Alamo’s efficiency seemed an odd match, an Oscar and Felix type situation.

These are drastic times for Stephon Marbury and San Antonio. ‘Starbury’ is an afterthought with his hometown New York Knicks; a perpetual DNP-CD, sitting on the sideline in the finest twenty million dollar per season suit money can buy.

And after Marbury brought lawyers to Friday’s sitdown with Knick President Donnie Walsh, it’s clear a buyout is coming. And fast.

In Texas, the Republicans aren’t the only institution to lose big. The Spurs, after several seasons atop the Western Conference, have struggled to a poor record. Worst of all, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, their second and third best players, are out long-term.

Yes, drastic times, indeed. Will Marbury and San Antonio take the drastic measure of joining forces?

It’s possible. Marbury needs a change. Any change will do. So expect the former All-Star to continue flirting with the Spurs and other potential suitors via the media.

San Antonio, however, is a different story. Their emphasis on character is commendable, but they need to tweak their roster. Coach Gregg Popovich must decide if Marbury’s talent offsets his baggage.

Of course, ‘Pop’ and his crew would provide Marbury an opportunity at redemption. If he fits-in and helps the former champs then his battered reputation gets a much-needed lift.

Dallas, Golden State, and Miami are the frontrunners for the former All-Star. San Antonio also makes sense –and not just for Marbury. Like I said, drastic times call for drastic measures.

benefactor
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Report: Knicks, Marbury talking buyout-(AP)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/14/marbury.knicks.ap/index.html
Nothing new from this story.

If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80, what would you say?
If he really wanted to change his situation he would, but it looks like money is just too much of a priority. Sorry xtremesteven...your man love for him will not be enough to get him in a Spurs uni. He(and his still selfish attitude) will ride the bench for the rest of the season and and collect his 20 million.

benefactor
11-15-2008, 03:07 PM
And after Marbury brought lawyers to Friday’s sitdown with Knick President Donnie Walsh, it’s clear a buyout is coming. And fast.

There's nothing going on, man. There's nothing going on but a humbling experience. That's it, the only thing that's going on here in the New York Knicks' organization as far as me.
Hmm.....

MarHill
11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Forget Dallas, Golden State, Miami. Stephon Marbury and San Antonio an interesting, odd couple match (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/forget-dallas-golden-state-miami--stephon-marbury-and-san-antonio-an-interesting-odd-couple-match-ar49436.html)

Their News: Who wouldn’t want to play for San Antonio?" Marbury told The Post last night. "To play with Tim Duncan, who would complain about that? That’s a great organization, they win championships. They have a nice system and I like (Gregg) Popovich as coach. I can play 1 or the 2. If I was a free agent, yeah."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has said he may look for a point guard after losing Tony Parker for a month. The only point guards on the roster are rookie George Hill, who started last night, and Jacque Vaughn. Donnie Walsh is not ready to waive Marbury. (New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11122008/sports/knicks/steph_eyes_spot_with_san_antonio_138245.htm))

Our Very Quick Analysis: For the longest time, I couldn’t see it. And didn’t want to see it. Coney Island’s flash and the Alamo’s efficiency seemed an odd match, an Oscar and Felix type situation.

These are drastic times for Stephon Marbury and San Antonio. ‘Starbury’ is an afterthought with his hometown New York Knicks; a perpetual DNP-CD, sitting on the sideline in the finest twenty million dollar per season suit money can buy.

In Texas, the Republicans aren’t the only institution to lose big. The Spurs, after several seasons atop the Western Conference, have struggled to a poor record. Worst of all, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, their second and third best players, are out long-term.

Yes, drastic times, indeed. Will Marbury and San Antonio take the drastic measure of joining forces?

It’s possible. Marbury needs a change. Any change will do. So expect the former All-Star to continue flirting with the Spurs and other potential suitors via the media.

San Antonio, however, is a different story. Their emphasis on character is commendable, but they need to tweak their roster. Coach Gregg Popovich must decide if Marbury’s talent offsets his baggage.

Of course, ‘Pop’ and his crew would provide Marbury an opportunity at redemption. If he fits-in and helps the former champs then his battered reputation gets a much-needed lift.

Dallas, Golden State, and Miami are the frontrunners for the former All-Star. San Antonio also makes sense –and not just for Marbury. Like I said, drastic times call for drastic measures.

First of all, the reporter couldn't help himself and take a shot at the Republicans. Whatever dude!!

Again....so many people are writing off this team only after 8 games into a new season. Whatever again!! I can see the write-ups in Feb or March....THE SPURS ARE NOT DONE YET!!!!! Same ol'crap from the media.

Now to Marbury....of course his scoring and playmaking ability will be welcomed in SA. But (and this is a Kim Kardashian's big butt!!!) will he want to play under a structured environment like Pop has built for the past 15 years. Also, Pop and R.C. would go to Duncan to get his input as well. One of the big keys to the Spurs success is being able to get their franchise player to buy into the program.

So if Duncan is cool with it and if Marbury could follow Pop's structure and be a contributor off the bench and if he wants to sign the LLE. Then go for it!!

However, that is a lot of ifs and I don't want to stop George Hill's development.

Booharv
11-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I can't believe there has been this many posts about something that's never going to happen.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm all for signing Marbury if the opportunity presents itself. There's really nothing to lose. If he doesn't add to the team... you let him go. You've lost very little. But if he can rediscover is former level of performance, he could be a BIG piece to the puzzle.

We could use more depth at the point, and he can play at the 2 and give us another scoring threat in the back court. I think it's a no-brainer. If he's available, you've got to sign him.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I can't believe there has been this many posts about something that's never going to happen.

I don't know why you're so certain about that. The Knicks look like they're almost certainly going to buy him out. Marbury wants to play for the Spurs... and the Spurs could certainly use him.

benefactor
11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't know why you're so certain about that. The Knicks look like they're almost certainly going to buy him out. Marbury wants to play for the Spurs... and the Spurs could certainly use him.
That's not what Marbury has said...

tp2021
11-15-2008, 05:39 PM
What exactly is the difference between getting waived and getting bought out?

tp2021
11-15-2008, 05:40 PM
That's not what Marbury has said...
It's a business. They aren't revealing what's happening behind closed doors.

benefactor
11-15-2008, 05:42 PM
What exactly is the difference between getting waived and getting bought out?
If they waive him they have to pay the whole 20 million. A buyout is an amount that is less that both parties agree on to terminate the contract.

spursfan98
11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Marbury is not at the tail end of his career... hes 31..

benefactor
11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
It's a business. They aren't revealing what's happening behind closed doors.

When asked about possibly taking less from the Knicks, Marbury said to a reporter, "If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80, what would you say?"

There's nothing going on, man. There's nothing going on but a humbling experience. That's it, the only thing that's going on here in the New York Knicks' organization as far as me.
Sounds real positive...:rolleyes

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Marbury is not at the tail end of his career... hes 31..

Right you are. Still plenty left in the tank.

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Marbury is going to take every penny he can from the Knicks. Why then, would anyone in their right mind think that Marbury is going to go to the Spurs for less money than another team could pay him.

"If you gonna give me 80 dollars, and someone else gonna give me 100 dollars..."

benefactor
11-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Marbury is going to take every penny he can from the Knicks. Why then, would anyone in their right mind think that Marbury is going to go to the Spurs for less money than another team could pay him.

"If you gonna give me 80 dollars, and someone else gonna give me 100 dollars..."
Logic...its whats for dinner.

SpurSupremacist
11-16-2008, 12:55 AM

It's simple. It's street. If someone owes you a certain amount of money, you don't let them pay you back less. These are street principles here. It's something I'm sure a boy like you from the suburbs wouldn't understand. Marbury is from the ghetto, and he still has that ingrained in his DNA... no matter what lifestyle he may be living now. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't play for less money here. It's all about the principle of it for him.

tp2021
11-16-2008, 01:33 AM
He just has no leverage. Either he takes what they offer, or they let him and his career rot away and fester on the bench.

wisnub
11-16-2008, 01:37 AM

FUCK HILLS DEVELOPMENT..he needs to grow now or else Marbury will take over. I hope Steph still got his scoring ability, I still see this is an upgrade, Im tired we pickin up nobody but Mason this offseason...Marbury,Mcdyess anybody please go ahead come.....Fook salary cap and all that bullshit, Spurs is really cheap ass if you compare salary spending with other CONTENDERS.

itzsoweezee
11-16-2008, 01:50 AM
He just has no leverage. Either he takes what they offer, or they let him and his career rot away and fester on the bench.

his leverage is $20M and a roster spot.

shit, i'd take $20M to do nothing. no problem at all.

SenorSpur
11-16-2008, 02:49 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55457/20081115/players_roll_their_eyes_at_marbury_squabble/

Players Roll Their Eyes At Marbury Squabble

As Stephon Marbury held a lockerroom debate with a reporter about the logic of accepting less money than is owed on his contract, several of his present-day Knick teammates rolled their eyes.

"If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80, what would you say?" Marbury asked the reporter.

One Knick gestured with his thumb, evidently tossing Marbury out of the ballgame.

The Knicks are reportedly willing to pay Marbury the lion's share of what remains on his contract. The team would get a modest discount equal to the amount that Marbury earns from another team, plus the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax savings; Marbury would take in the same total salary, while having the chance to play this season.

Mike D'Antoni also raised this type of arrangement with Marbury but the suggestion was not well received.

"They owe me that money! I earned that money!" Marbury told the coach.

"That's why you can't have that guy running your team," a person with knowledge of the Knicks' thinking told Ken Berger of Newsday. "Because he runs it for himself."

Said Berger's source, "The decision is easy because [Marbury] is the one making it. But at this point, it has to be where he sees the daylight and understands, 'You know what? I fought the law, and the law won.

SpurSupremacist
11-16-2008, 03:12 AM
his leverage is $20M and a roster spot.

shit, i'd take $20M to do nothing. no problem at all.

Same. I'm not going to fault Marbury for wanting what is rightfully his.

tp2021
11-16-2008, 03:16 AM
"They owe me that money! I earned that money!" Marbury told the coach.Wrong. He earned less than whatever they decide to give him, even if they could somehow give him nothing.

Indazone
11-16-2008, 03:23 AM
He wants the Stevie Franchise deal

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
It's simple. It's street. If someone owes you a certain amount of money, you don't let them pay you back less. These are street principles here. It's something I'm sure a boy like you from the suburbs wouldn't understand. Marbury is from the ghetto, and he still has that ingrained in his DNA... no matter what lifestyle he may be living now. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't play for less money here. It's all about the principle of it for him.

:lol

What he's done is earned a spot sitting behind the bench. They'll leave his dumb ass there all year just to prove a point. They've shit away bigger gobs of money to prove a point before, and make no mistake about it: they own his ass. He signed a contract for money going forward, which was supposed to be in exchange for continuing to play at a sustained level. It's not money he earned in any way. These are business principles here. It's something I'm sure a semi-literate mouth-breather like you wouldn't understand. If there's any principle in it for him, He'll swallow his pride to take less money in order to buy his freedom, but if he does he's likely to try to make as much of it back as possible, because it's still mostly about the money for him.

manufor3
11-16-2008, 01:08 PM

oh boy

Yogurt210
11-16-2008, 04:49 PM
pop will prob send hill to toros and sign marbury, knowing pop

m33p0
11-16-2008, 04:58 PM
... or put marbury on the inactive list ala melvin ely.

Russ
11-16-2008, 06:17 PM
No, no, no , no. Not Marbury to San Antonio . . .

God damn San Antonio!

-- Reverand Mike D'Antoni.

Spurtacus
11-16-2008, 06:34 PM

We need offense. Jacque Vaughn would be out.