PDA

View Full Version : Tolliver: Great Effort

tmtcsc
11-12-2008, 09:35 AM
I thought Tolliver showed why he made the team tonight. I saw him shoot lights out in the Summer League but when he made the team after his poor shooting in the pre-season, I was a bit perplexed.

Against the Knicks, his shooting was off but he was all over the place with his effort. He was diving for loose balls, competing for rebounds and doing whatever he could to contribute.

I thought he gave us more effort than I have seen from KT and Matt Bonner. I see more PT in his future. At this point, his shooting range is a bonus. If he gets comfortable with his shooting again, look out.

benefactor
11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Agreed. If you step back and look at what his role will be on the second unit you could come to the conclusion that as long as he keeps doing what he is doing...hustling, rotating well on defense, getting extra possessions with rebounds, etc....then his scoring won't really be needed. Once everyone is back and healthy Manu and Hill will have most of the playmaking responsibilities with the backups. As long as he does what I said above and makes himself available in the right place at the right time for easy buckets on the offensive end(i.e. back door cut last night) then he has done more than enough.

Seeing some of those 3's fall would be nice too though....

Manu-of-steel
11-12-2008, 10:03 AM
good job by tolliver. i look at this injury to the spurs player as a blessing because it's about time our rookies develop. in the long run, we'll reap benefits from this,hopefully.

MoSpur
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I see Tolliver as a Robert Horry replacement more so than Bonner.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 10:31 AM
By now we all have either seen or heard how Tolliver lit up the summer league with his hot 3-pt shooting. There's no question that was the primary reason he made the team. However if anyone wondered how and why Pop is so high on this kid - we saw why against the Knicks. Despite his poor shooting, Tolliver made a significant impact on the game with his all-out effort and constant activity on both ends. His shooting will certainly need to come around in order to fortify the second unit, but there is a place for this guy on the team - and that place is ahead of Bonner in the rotation.

Bender
11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
does the shooting coach (Engelland or whatever his name is) work with ALL spurs, or just ones that are 'assigned' to him if they need help or whatever. I mean, is he working with Hill, Toll, Farmer and everyone?

peacemaker885
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
This guy was all over the place last night. I see him looking older than what he actually is. But man, he keeps on working tirelessly.

Bender
11-12-2008, 12:09 PM
he's got that "receding hairline" look going. How old is he?

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
he's got that "receding hairline" look going. How old is he?

He does look like a grizzled veteran. Perhaps he and Oden should hang out.

Bender
11-12-2008, 12:17 PM
who remembers that original Star Trek episode, where they got some disease that made them age more rapidly than usual...

I. Hustle
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
That's my boy Tony Touch!

z0sa
11-12-2008, 12:59 PM
This guy may mean my beloved Red Rocket is officially trade fodder.

:(

HarlemHeat37
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
he has a lot of confidence and balls, which is the main difference between him and Bonner..

DROB4EVER
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM
He needs to be more agressive crashing the boards and I would like to see him post up now and again. His shot will come he just needs to relax, he is trying to hard.
Most of his shots are going long and thats a sign of nerves, give him another 10 games and they will start going down.

He didnt look bad on D either.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
He's gone from a guy I didn't want to make the team to one of my favorite players in basically one game. I hope he can keep it up.

tp2021
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
He's gone from a guy I didn't want to make the team to one of my favorite players in basically one game. I hope he can keep it up.

We are in the same "Hairston should have made it over Tolliver, but Tolliver is making a believer out of me, but I still want Hairston too" boat, it seems.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I still want Hairston to get a try, but there's time. Tolliver has been a far bigger piece of the puzzle so far, and last night he actually was Horry-like.

Anti.Hero
11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
A big Spur who can dunk. Holy shit.

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I thought Tolliver showed why he made the team tonight. I saw him shoot lights out in the Summer League but when he made the team after his poor shooting in the pre-season, I was a bit perplexed.

Against the Knicks, his shooting was off but he was all over the place with his effort. He was diving for loose balls, competing for rebounds and doing whatever he could to contribute.

I thought he gave us more effort than I have seen from KT and Matt Bonner. I see more PT in his future. At this point, his shooting range is a bonus. If he gets comfortable with his shooting again, look out.

completely agree! lets hope his shooting touch comes to him soon. :flag:

MrChug
11-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I really like his game ALOT. The effort is infectious.

The 3's are bittersweet though. I think it's better that he shoot with little hesitation but this 1-6 shit's gotta stop.

timvp
11-12-2008, 03:40 PM
If you step back and look at what his role will be on the second unit you could come to the conclusion that as long as he keeps doing what he is doing...hustling, rotating well on defense, getting extra possessions with rebounds, etc....then his scoring won't really be needed.

Tolliver is still going to have to hit shots to have a long-term spot in the rotation. Since the start of preseason, he's shooting 32.4% from the field and 23.7% on threes. He needs to get that up to about 42% from the field and 36% from beyond the arc. If he can do that, it seems like the Spurs may have found something.

mrspurs
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
This guy may mean my beloved Red Rocket is officially trade fodder.

:(

I wouldnt argue that.

Jet915
11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
As someone who has met Tolliver many times and saw almost all of Tolliver's games at Creighton when I was a student, I have to say I'm so proud of him. I remember seeing him initially as a hyped freshman recruit as a freshman and sophomore. At that time, Tolliver was not performing to his abilities. After his sophomore year, coach Altman laid down the law and pretty much told him to step it up or else. Well, his junior year, he was a totally different person. He became most improved player his junior year and all-MVC his senior year. Now to see him playing in the NBA, it's great to see. Hopefully, he can start knocking down his shots. The one thing you know you will get out of Tolliver is all out effort. As a bonus, he's an excellent citizen and role model. You won't find a nicer guy.

remingtonbo2001
11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
We are in the same "Hairston should have made it over Tolliver, but Tolliver is making a believer out of me, but I still want Hairston too" boat, it seems.

No, I'm in the I prefer Hairston over Farmer boat.

Props to Tolliver for his great hustle.

SenorSpur
11-12-2008, 07:05 PM
No, I'm in the I prefer Hairston over Farmer boat.

Me too. I hope that comes to pass once Manu returns to the team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Can't fathom why anyone wishes we had Hairston over Tolliver.

I would take Hairston over any one of Farmer, Bonner, or Finley at this point (and would have said the same if you asked me in September).

mrspurs
11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
A big Spur who can dunk. Holy shit.

:lol yeah its been awhile hasnt it

Bender
11-13-2008, 08:45 AM
too bad he's not a perimeter threat. He took a 3 last night that was so far off I cringed.