PDA

View Full Version : My review of The Deer Hunter.

BacktoBasics
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
4 Stars huh. The first hour was 4 or 5 dudes acting like dipshits. Somebody got married and I'm pretty sure they transported the town to Italy for the evening. Did they need an hour and half for drunken stupors and a shitty wedding? The first half of the movie was basically nothing. Total waste of time. It set nothing up it didn't tell shit for a story until they went to Nam.

Great cast...decent acting but the plot and dialogue sucked balls.

Whats with the blood spurting out in the opposite direction of the gunshots? Doesn't make sense.

How the fuck did Walken make so much money gambling with his life only to die at the very moment his buddy was there? How was he sane enough to send the money only to go loopy at the very moment De Niro showed up? So all of a sudden he's insane??? C'mon.

How did De Niro get back into Saigon to find this guy in less than a few hours?

This whole movie is long and fundamentally boring. There are more scenes where nothing happens than there are scenes of purpose. I'm convinced that if anyone else had made this movie half the film would have been cut out to save time and space. It was fucking pointless. Nearly 10 minutes of them pretending to pick the guy up only to drive away and come back again to pretend to pick the guy up. Seriously boring and not that funny.

Why did they need nearly an hour and half of them getting drunk and then going to a wedding? It was boring and unentertaining. An hour and half of basically nothing.

I love how so many people just loooove this movie. The media loved it and the award people loved it so now you'll love it. This movie sucked horribly.

dickface
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
The whole movie is a metaphor for being gay.

Bender
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
It's been many years since I've seen it...can't remember a lot about it, but I do remember thinking "big deal" after watching it. Didn't think it was anything great.

Bigzax
11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
how many deer get killed? :wakeup

BacktoBasics
11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
how many deer get killed? :wakeupOne

JoeChalupa
11-12-2008, 12:09 PM
A classic. I saw it on the big screen back when it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Dinero and Walken had great performances if you are into dramatic roles. A great Vietnam war film.

clambake
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
you guys are way off.

it's a movie about "who get's to nail meryl streep".

BradLohaus
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Probably the 2nd worst movie I've ever seen of movies that are supposed to be good, after Midnight Cowboy. I still want those 3 hours back...

florige
11-12-2008, 01:10 PM
It was pretty boring. The part when he was looking for Nikki in Saigon was ok.
I liked Deliverance over that though.

Bender
11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
those highbrow vietnam movies never did anything for me. I remember Apocalypse Now going over my head too. Of course, i was probably too young at the time to figure it out.

baseline bum
11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
The Vietnam scenes were great in The Deer Hunter. The wedding was awful, and every minute of it should have been cut from the movie. That hour and a half added absolutely nothing to the movie.

balli
11-12-2008, 01:32 PM
So what's up? You watch this on HBO last night?

BacktoBasics
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
The Vietnam scenes were great in The Deer Hunter. The wedding was awful, and every minute of it should have been cut from the movie. That hour and a half added absolutely nothing to the movie.Exactly.

So what's up? You watch this on HBO last night?
Yesterday during the day. 3 and half hours I wish I had back.

lefty
11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
The Vietnam scenes were great in The Deer Hunter. The wedding was awful, and every minute of it should have been cut from the movie. That hour and a half added absolutely nothing to the movie.

+1 on every count