PDA

View Full Version : Lasik in Austin

romad_20
11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Everyone,

I am thinking about getting Lasik done and I am wondering if anyone has had the procedure done in Austin and who you would recommend. I currently have VSP and they only offer discounted rates for it. My policy switches over in January to Surency and the only place they offer discounted rates at is "LasikPlus" which I am apprehensive to go to.

Has anyone used "Laserview" off of MoPac in Austin?

I'd also like to know any of your experiences with the surgery.

Thanks!

I. Hustle
11-12-2008, 12:43 PM
I want it done but it freaks me out. Let me know how it goes if you find a place.
Plus I try not to remember the years I spent in Austin. Aside from Austin High "Loyal forever"

Bender
11-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I had one eye done at LasikPlus, but it was in San Antonio

romad_20
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I had one eye done at LasikPlus, but it was in San Antonio

How would you rate the service and post-surgery treatment? I've heard they are closing a lot of locations and the fact that the one here in Austin is in a shopping center freaks me out a little bit.

romad_20
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I want it done but it freaks me out. Let me know how it goes if you find a place.
Plus I try not to remember the years I spent in Austin. Aside from Austin High "Loyal forever"

Well, I'll let you know.

No likey the Austin? I've only been here 6 years, but I love living in this town. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Texas.

Bender
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
excellent. I had a great doctor, who was recommended to me by others (dr iskander). they have free 'adjustments' for a year I think, if you need them, but I declined that. They also have free follow-up appointments for 6 months to make sure your eyesight is well, and your eye is healing properly.

It is scary as hell to be laying there on the table, and seeing the doc coming towards your eye to peel back the flap...

edit: it's been a year and a few months since I've had it done, and I think my eyesight has declined a little since post-surgery. But the main reason I only had one eye done (called 'mono-vision') is so I could avoid the necessity of wearing glasses to drive, and see distant.

Before the surgery, I had excellent close vision, but bad distant vision. I had one eye corrected for distance vision. Now I can see 'pretty good' distant, but not great, and 'pretty good' close, but not great.

Anyway LasikPlus in S.A. had all the latest technology and lasers and stuff.

I. Hustle
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, I'll let you know.

No likey the Austin? I've only been here 6 years, but I love living in this town. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Texas.

More so because of bad experiences than the town. I loved the restaurants and town lake. Plus out of my 3 highschools SFA was the coolest.

romad_20
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
excellent. I had a great doctor, who was recommended to me by others (dr iskander). they have free 'adjustments' for a year I think, if you need them, but I declined that. They also have free follow-up appointments for 6 months to make sure your eyesight is well, and your eye is healing properly.

It is scary as hell to be laying there on the table, and seeing the doc coming towards your eye to peel back the flap...

edit: it's been a year and a few months since I've had it done, and I think my eyesight has declined a little since post-surgery. But the main reason I only had one eye done (called 'mono-vision') is so I could avoid the necessity of wearing glasses to drive, and see distant.

Before the surgery, I had excellent close vision, but bad distant vision. I had one eye corrected for distance vision. Now I can see 'pretty good' distant, but not great, and 'pretty good' close, but not great.

Anyway LasikPlus in S.A. had all the latest technology and lasers and stuff.

Hmmm, well not exactly a ringing endorsement. The price difference between LasikPlus and Laserview is about $1000, but Laserview does corrections for life (according to the info they have given me) for no extra cost. I am going in for a consult on Tues.

I don't think I could do the one eye thing. I have astigmatism in both eyes and right eye is not even 20/20 with glasses or contacts.

sonnytris
11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I had my LASIK procedure at Victoria Eye Center in 2002. It took a total of three visits to complete and have had no ill effects from this procedure. I strongly reccommend the procedure and this facilty even thou its about 150 miles from SA
Is This Country Great or What

P.S.: Its a good feeling to purchase your sunglasses off the rack instead of Rx lens......

romad_20
11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
P.S.: Its a good feeling to purchase your sunglasses off the rack instead of Rx lens......

No kidding. I used to wear contacts all the time but for the last two years I haven't been able to because the damn lens move around and make my vision blurry, constantly. I can't wait to wear sunglasses again.

Bender
11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
lasikplus may be free adjustments for life also. I was probably thinking of the free follow up appointments at the actual doctor's office for one year.

I think I got it done when they had a special. something like $1500 off for both eyes. for one eye, I guess I got less off.

Bender
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
yeah, the "one eye" fix is not for everybody. I already had excellent 'close' vision, and I told the doc I didn't want to wear glasses anymore to drive and to see distance. He said if he fixed BOTH eyes for me, I would see distance excellent (20/20), but I would no longer see close well, and would need glasses for close vision... NO thanks! So he just did one eye. When I am looking far, or driving, my right eye becomes dominant and takes over what I am seeing. When I am reading or looking at something close, my left eye (unfixed) becomes dominant. It sounds confusing, but it works.
He said some people get the one-eye treatment, but then they hate it, and end up getting the other eye done.

romad_20
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I' m bumping this. Went in for a mapping and some test today. I still haven't been able to really find any sites that have reviews of where people have had the procedure done or who the best doctors are. Its such a big investment and my freaking eyes are at risk, so I'm still apprehensive about doing it without more background info.

robino2001
11-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't remember the name and doctor my wife used last June in Austin. She loved him, the office - the procedure went great - her eyesight was night and day difference that next night. She woke up in the middle of the night, could read the clock across the room and started crying. Everything has been great since - no decline at all.

If you're still interested, I'll see if we can find the contact info for this place. I believe it was just west of Mopac on Spicewood... cost maybe $3200 total (that might have had a discount for her being a nurse though).

romad_20
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't remember the name and doctor my wife used last June in Austin. She loved him, the office - the procedure went great - her eyesight was night and day difference that next night. She woke up in the middle of the night, could read the clock across the room and started crying. Everything has been great since - no decline at all.

If you're still interested, I'll see if we can find the contact info for this place. I believe it was just west of Mopac on Spicewood... cost maybe $3200 total (that might have had a discount for her being a nurse though).

The place I'm going is called LaserView. Its off of MoPac right off of North Hills Dr (near Far West).

I think I'm just going to go for it. The place has been in business for a while and is an actual practice, instead of a lasik "store" in a shopping center.

Thanks for your story. I can't wait to see a clock at night :lol Its funny but that's the samething everyone I've talked to has said.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
What are they charging for Lasik in Austin?

I went up to Denver to get it done a couple of years ago because it only cost me $600 per eye as opposed to $2,400 per eye here at the time. Since then it's come down to around $1,400 per eye here and up to about $800 per eye in Denver.

romad_20
11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
What are they charging for Lasik in Austin?

I went up to Denver to get it done a couple of years ago because it only cost me $600 per eye as opposed to $2,400 per eye here at the time. Since then it's come down to around $1,400 per eye here and up to about $800 per eye in Denver.

Total its going to be $4600. That's for the custom, blade-free lasik, follow up appointments and drugs/drops. Pricey, but its actually the same price it was in 2006 when I checked.

romad_20
12-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Bump, today is the day! Hopefully, I can read this board without glasses later :lol

Blake
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
good luck.

I gotta get this lasik thing done myself........

Creepn
12-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Looking foward to your success.

romad_20
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Done. I can see, although it looks like I'm watching a Babara Walter's interview, all soft and fuzzy. Right eye feels like there is something in it like sand. God, I hope that goes away.

Creepn
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
How bad was your vision before? And did the doctor tell you that you may feel like you have sand in your eyes for a few days or what?

romad_20
12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
How bad was your vision before? And did the doctor tell you that you may feel like you have sand in your eyes for a few days or what?

Yes, they said it should go away in a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I go in for a follow up tomorrow, so ifs its still killing me then I'm sure they'll look at it.

My vision was pretty bad in my right eye. Really severe astigmatisim? or however you spell it. Its very nice not to be wearing glasses right now to see, though.

timvp
12-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Sorry. Uncalled for.

Creepn
12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Yes, they said it should go away in a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I go in for a follow up tomorrow, so ifs its still killing me then I'm sure they'll look at it.

My vision was pretty bad in my right eye. Really severe astigmatisim? or however you spell it. Its very nice not to be wearing glasses right now to see, though.

Yeah I got astigmatism in both eyes but I don't think its to the point that its severe but its still blurry as hell.

But Man! No glasses! Just thinking about it makes me smile for you man.

How much did it cost you?

tlongII
12-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry. Uncalled for.

Sorry. Uncalled for.

romad_20
12-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah I got astigmatism in both eyes but I don't think its to the point that its severe but its still blurry as hell.

But Man! No glasses! Just thinking about it makes me smile for you man.

How much did it cost you?

Pricey, $4600. But it covered all the appointments and all of the drops and follow up appointments. It was the IntraLASIK procedure, so no blades what so ever. It is suppose to be the most advanced version of the procedure. The Doctor I went to is Dr. Tom Walters. He told me today he had done over 17,000 eyes and he is the only Dr. that performs the surgery at his practice. They even called my regular optometrist in to be there and help since she was the one who had done all of my pre-op exams. Very good service.

SequSpur
12-13-2008, 11:50 AM
bump...
I went today for an exam for lasik. Is $2800 good for the custom surgery in both eyes? lifetime, etc.

romad_20
12-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Better price than I got. I got the intralasik (no blade) and it was $4600. The only complaint I have so far is my right eye is not as crisp as the left but the right was much worse than the left. They told me it will take a month before it gets stable. I was 20/15 in both eyes the day after and now, a week later, I'm 20/15 in the left and 20/25 in the right.

Blake
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Better price than I got. I got the intralasik (no blade) and it was $4600. The only complaint I have so far is my right eye is not as crisp as the left but the right was much worse than the left. They told me it will take a month before it gets stable. I was 20/15 in both eyes the day after and now, a week later, I'm 20/15 in the left and 20/25 in the right.

huh.......so what happens if you arent 20/15 in both eyes in a month? Are they going to do your eyes again?

and what was the procedure like? any discomfort?

romad_20
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
huh.......so what happens if you arent 20/15 in both eyes in a month? Are they going to do your eyes again?

and what was the procedure like? any discomfort?

No real discomfort besides a headache the first day. I haven't had the sandy feeling that some get after.

If its not 20/15 in a month they'll redo the right eye. My right eye had over twice the astigmatism that the left eye did and I think it was 20/200 before the surgery so it was a lot to correct. They told me going in that the right was so bad it may never be 20/20, but after seeing it was 20/15 the day after they said it should be correctable. I just have wait and see and it stabilizes. It still beats wearing contacts and glasses though.

Blake
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
No real discomfort besides a headache the first day. I haven't had the sandy feeling that some get after.

If its not 20/15 in a month they'll redo the right eye. My right eye had over twice the astigmatism that the left eye did and I think it was 20/200 before the surgery so it was a lot to correct. They told me going in that the right was so bad it may never be 20/20, but after seeing it was 20/15 the day after they said it should be correctable. I just have wait and see and it stabilizes. It still beats wearing contacts and glasses though.

cool.

do they mention an age cut-off of any kind? I'll be closing in on 40 in the next few years and I hear my optomoligical clock ticking

romad_20
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
cool.

do they mention an age cut-off of any kind? I'll be closing in on 40 in the next few years and I hear my optomoligical clock ticking

Well, they like you to be younger but I don't think 40 is too old by any means. The problem you might have is you will need reading glasses earlier. I will too, but that's a small price to pay.

Blake
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, they like you to be younger but I don't think 40 is too old by any means. The problem you might have is you will need reading glasses earlier. I will too, but that's a small price to pay.

really? so even if I'm near sighted right now, and can read just fine without glasses, this might be a side effect later on?

I'd definitely trade far sighted for near sighted, but that's something I hadn't heard before about the procedure.