PDA

View Full Version : Astros v. Hooks - April 2nd Whataburger Field

Dr. Gonzo
11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.caller.com/news/2008/oct/15/astros-will-play-hooks-april-2/ (http://www.caller.com/news/2008/oct/15/astros-will-play-hooks-april-2/)

Astros will play Hooks April 2

Teams also announce new pact through 2012

In four years, the Hooks have sent nearly two dozen players to the major leagues.
The big-leaguers now are coming to Corpus Christi.
The Hooks and their major-league affiliate Houston Astros announced Wednesday the two teams will play an exhibition game at Whataburger Field on April 2.
The game marks the Astros' first visit to Corpus Christi since the Hooks became their Class AA affiliate in 2005. The teams also announced a two-year extension of their player development contract through the 2012 season.
"We've been wanting this game to happen for several years," Hooks CEO Reid Ryan said. "I think (Astros owner) Drayton McLane and the people in Houston realized that it was important (because) these fans have really supported this team. I was just trying to keep pressure on them that, 'Hey, we need to get this game done for the fans.' I'm just glad they got it done for them."
Season ticket-holders will have first crack at tickets. The remaining tickets are expected to go on sale to the public in early March.
Games between a major-league team and an affiliate are scarce in the Texas League. Since the Hooks joined the circuit, only the Springfield Cardinals have played exhibitions against the parent team, hosting St. Louis in 2005 and 2007.
The Round Rock Express, the other minor-league team owned by Ryan Sanders Baseball, has hosted the Astros three times since the Express' 2000 inception.
"Those have been the biggest games we've ever had outside of (Roger Clemens' appearance in 2006)," Ryan said. "These games are special because they're so rare. It's a big deal. People are going to be telling their grandkids about this."
While an Astros appearance was believed to be inevitable, the extension of the Hooks-Astros affiliation was perhaps more surprising, especially because the sides agreed just last year to a two-year pact through 2010.
"It makes sense for both sides," Astros assistant general manager Ricky Bennett said. "This is Texas, it's Astros country and we have a great working relationship. We want it to last and we want to show the fans and their organization that we're committed to doing this."
As for who will be managing the Hooks come April, Bennett said that question likely will be answered within the next month. According to Bennett, it appears Luis Pujols will be back for a second season as manager. The only certain change will be at hitting coach, as John Tamargo Jr., who held that post since the Hooks' first season, was not retained.
"There are some things that may happen throughout the organization that may change it, but right now, I see Luis managing the club and Stan (Boroski) returning as the pitching coach," Bennett said.
Since the Hooks won the Texas League championship in 2006, they have suffered consecutive losing seasons, including a franchise-worst record of 55-85 in 2008. The Astros' farm system has been considered one of baseball's worst in recent years, but after what was deemed a good draft in June, Bennett was optimistic about a better on-field product for the Hooks in upcoming campaigns.
"We're definitely headed in the right direction," Bennett said. "Our record in recent years hasn't been as good as we've hoped. We've taken steps to change that. I'm confident there will be better players coming through the system and we'll see a better brand of baseball in the years to come."

Dr. Gonzo
11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
This is great for the city of Corpus to get to see the Astros. Whataburger Field is a great minor league stadium and I'm excited about this. Hopefully I will be able to score some tickets.

I. Hustle
11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
When I lived in Temple Drayton used to have the guys sign autographs in the mall. At the time I was working at Finish line and they used to set up right by my store.