PDA

View Full Version : Fab Oberto...

HarlemHeat37
11-12-2008, 10:58 PM
needs to shoot more..he has way too many opportunities that he passes up and open lanes where he doesn't even think about shooting..he's a talented offensive player, he should actually be aggressive sometimes..

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 11:11 PM
He needs to shoot when open.

angelbelow
11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
i agree with this, although i remember ripping my hair out in the playoffs when he did shoot.

i wonder if oberto has ever tried to work on his shot. these past couple years with him, if he was able to hit that 10-15 footer consistently he would have been invaluable.

sharpshooter
11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Fab reminds me of Dennis Rodman, can rebound, play defense and hustle buts have no offensive game whatsoever.

xtremesteven33
11-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Fab reminds me of Dennis Rodman, can rebound, play defense and hustle buts have no offensive game whatsoever.

Oberto in no way reminds me of Rodman....sorry bro

mVp
11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, he needs to take more shots... I mean, he can’t shoot worse than Vaughn or Tolliver right?

MaNuMaNiAc
11-12-2008, 11:20 PM

WTF?? Dennis Rodman? :lmao

What exactly reminds you of Rodman??

DPG21920
11-12-2008, 11:20 PM
needs to shoot more..he has way too many opportunities that he passes up and open lanes where he doesn't even think about shooting..he's a talented offensive player, he should actually be aggressive sometimes..

Oberto has to start looking for his shot when he is wide ass open. He can shoot ok, if he makes one or two, it would help dramatically

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 11:37 PM
It's not even that he doesn't shoot, it's that he never even looks towards the basket and acts like he's going to make an offensive move, and the defenders just disregard him completely.

sharpshooter
11-12-2008, 11:41 PM

the lack of offensive skills

ploto
11-12-2008, 11:47 PM
His shot has actually improved and he has worked with Chip.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2008, 11:50 PM
His shot has actually improved and he has worked with Chip.

It'd be nice to see him do something with the ball other than act like it's got poop on it and look for someone go dump it off to.

m33p0
11-12-2008, 11:51 PM
he needs to stuff it.

BWS-1994
11-13-2008, 02:47 AM
What was that Bill Walton quote again?

OleMissMike
11-13-2008, 03:41 AM
he's 6 10 and cant dunk

i think he should just quit basketball

angelbelow
11-13-2008, 04:41 AM
he's 6 10 and cant dunk

i think he should just quit basketball

oh come on, im sure he can dunk.

AC#21_TD ERA
11-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Oberto needs to go. When you pass up open shots enough said.

wildchild
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Who should demand more Oberto's aggressive offense is Pop but he doesn't trust in his offense.
I don't sure, but it does look that way.
Pop he have his reasons for doing it, however it's hard to understand these reasons.

Hemotivo
11-13-2008, 07:45 AM
h7Wtqur5xMU

mrspurs
11-13-2008, 07:51 AM

He passes them up because he is a choke artist. Fab is far from a talented offensive player. And Ill add hes a horrible defender as well.

wildchild
11-13-2008, 07:55 AM
He passes them up because he is a choke artist. Fab is far from a talented offensive player. And Ill add hes a horrible defender as well.

Spurs fans can be pathetic

Agree.

Obstructed_View
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Mrs purse is not a Spurs fan.

Fermixalot
11-13-2008, 10:22 AM
That was a really good video. I've always like Fab for the reasons that Pop states in the video. He knows what he can and cannot do and doesn't pretend otherwise. He doesn't look to score often, but in pretty much every game he plays in, there are always 1 or 2 baskets he gets cutting behind the defense when they ignore him.

Plus he has good passing skills for a big man and works well with Tim. Of course I wish he'd block a few more shots, score a bit more, and rebound more but he does what he does well and I'm happy with that.

SenorSpur
11-13-2008, 10:38 AM
That was a really good video. I've always like Fab for the reasons that Pop states in the video. He knows what he can and cannot do and doesn't pretend otherwise. He doesn't look to score often, but in pretty much every game he plays in, there are always 1 or 2 baskets he gets cutting behind the defense when they ignore him.

Plus he has good passing skills for a big man and works well with Tim. Of course I wish he'd block a few more shots, score a bit more, and rebound more but he does what he does well and I'm happy with that.

Fab is truly a player who is self-aware. That said, he does pass up a lot of open shots - sometimes when he's at or near the basket. He's improved his stroke, so there shouldn't be a confidence issue. He absolutely MUST shoot whenever he's open. Otherwise, he's an offensive liability and defenses will cheat off of him consistently.

Brazil
11-13-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree he needs to shoot more but for me during the last 2 games nothing to complain he has quite good numbers in particular rebounds.

DPG21920
11-13-2008, 01:20 PM
It just that teams know that they can completely leave him. If he were to face up and take a wide open jumper, it would at least make people think. He can shoot the ball, it is not like Shaq. He has a confidence issue. Even if he just faced the basket and pumped or took a dribble towards the rim, the defense would react and it would help so much.

That is why I was so happy when the Spurs got KT. He gets into the same spots, but he does not hesitate to shoot. He might not make them, but he does not hesitate and gives teams pause.

I love Oberto and offense is just not about scoring. Setting screen, passing, moving, spacing are all parts of offense. Fab does that. But he needs to add the threat of scoring to keep teams honest.

boutons_
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Fab doesn't have a clue how to shoot.

Arc is way too flat, minimizing probabliity of success.

I think we're stuck with defenders laying back and letting him shoot or pass.

DPG21920
11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Watch the video, he has the skill to score at a serviceable clip. Especially with moves like at the 1:17 mark. Just be aggressive.

LDeRB_k7b2Y

byrdman31
11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
i remember him getting some great plays in the final game of the 07 championship... i like him he does all the hustle plays and little things we need

SpurSupremacist
11-13-2008, 04:55 PM

I think he mentioned about 4 things, you may need to up your level of reading comprehension.

kuato
11-14-2008, 02:41 AM

Well, that is a question to Pops , Oberto is good at offence but spurs needs him more at defence so ... no developing there.

Fabbs
11-14-2008, 11:24 AM
It's not even that he doesn't shoot, it's that he never even looks towards the basket and acts like he's going to make an offensive move, and the defenders just disregard him completely.
Yep. It's like Duncan is going to spend durn near his entire career with Popped and the Funk Office never having a C or F scoring option next to him.

What a waste.

Could Fabs heart murmur also be a contributing factor to his uber suckage since 2007 playoffs? Just because team docs release him to play, is it affecting Fabs?

z0sa
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Fabricio Oberto is a very intelligent basketball player - you couldn't ask for someone better to play off of Tim Duncan in terms of spacing and being at the right place consistently. He's also very good at rebounding despite being unathletic, simply because again he plays with a high BB iq.

That said, this is an athlete's league, and he just gets punished when forced to guard an athletic player. I always thought Bonner did much better 1on1 vs players like Amare, or when Oberto was trying to guard Jefferson in the Double OT game - he just got scored on at will.

Granted, Tim was trying his hardest and still got a few hooks in his face down the stretch, including a key one at the end of the first OT. But Jefferson had already heated up on Oberto.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't have a problem with any part of Fab's game aside from his not at least pretending like he's part of the offense in order to keep his defenders honest.