PDA

View Full Version : Army Recruitment At SAC

MannyIsGod
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
So, I'm sure I'm going to get flak for this no matter what I say, but I'm going to provide a disclaimer first. I full support the members of our armed forces and this post is in no way meant to attack them but simply gather opinions on a current Army policy.

So anyway, in the courtyard area of SAC right now the army has multiple tents setup. One is a tent here you can receive dog tags with what I presume is your name on them. I saw clipboards and forms so I think at the least they require you to give them some contact info unless the Army is joining the banks in offering credit cards to students.

In another display they have some type of rover. It looks like the mars rovers and I assume its used for some kind of bomb squad. I believe they allow you to "play" with it along an obstacle course in the display but I am not fully sure since I have not gone and talked to them.

In the 3rd tent, they have a huge elaborate stage setup for Guitar Hero.

What do people think of the recruiting methods they are currently using?

tp2021
11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Guitar Hero?! Where do I sign!?

MannyIsGod
11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I really should go take a picture of the tents. I have to go to a meeting in about 15 minutes and I'll take a few pictures then and I'll upload them after my meetings are over. its a pretty damn elaborate GH setup. Dude I've honestly seen a ton of bands with weaker setups than this.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-13-2008, 02:15 PM
eh. that's not as bad as the credit card recruiting on campus. everyone makes choices and should realize the course they take. if you sign up for either one you should internalize what is expected of you.

I. Hustle
11-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I wanna play with the rover

MannyIsGod
I agree that the CC company targeting of college students is pretty egregious but I think what makes this so bad for me is that I want to hold the Army to a higher standard than a CC company. I want to think that if they're having trouble recruiting then they'd instead make it more lucrative as opposed to reeling in some dipshit with guitarhero and some free dog tags.

SnakeBoy
If it gets good people to serve their country then I don't see a problem with it. Plus the military experience will do a hell of alot more for personal development than the SAC experience.

SnakeBoy
11-13-2008, 02:19 PM
they'd instead make it more lucrative

That's up to washington not the military.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2008, 02:20 PM
That's up to washington not the military.

Thats a good point and I think they're on the right track with the Army Advantage fund that I always hear commercials for on the radio but man this guitar hero tent really leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
bright lights and elaborate stages seem to wow quite a bit of people.

BacktoBasics
11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Won't be long before the fine print in an Army contract locks you in for life. Marketing ploys are all the rage.

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
What I want to know is where are the Marine Corps Tents!!??

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't have a problem with military recruiters on college campuses at all.

DarrinS
11-13-2008, 03:00 PM
So, I'm sure I'm going to get flak for this no matter what I say, but I'm going to provide a disclaimer first. I full support the members of our armed forces and this post is in no way meant to attack them but simply gather opinions on a current Army policy.

So anyway, in the courtyard area of SAC right now the army has multiple tents setup. One is a tent here you can receive dog tags with what I presume is your name on them. I saw clipboards and forms so I think at the least they require you to give them some contact info unless the Army is joining the banks in offering credit cards to students.

In another display they have some type of rover. It looks like the mars rovers and I assume its used for some kind of bomb squad. I believe they allow you to "play" with it along an obstacle course in the display but I am not fully sure since I have not gone and talked to them.

Are they bothering you?

Anti.Hero
11-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Our generation are dumbed downed idiots who need shiny things to get their attention.

The marines used to do pull up competitions in high school but I guess everyone is too fat now :lol

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Our generation are dumbed downed idiots who need shiny things to get their attention.

The marines used to do pull up competitions in high school but I guess everyone is too fat now :lol

:lol

101A
11-13-2008, 03:12 PM

They do what they gotta do.

I have come around to the opinion that we need a constitutional ammendment making ALL war, or war-like actions "pay as you go". The govt. MUST raise funds in real time for such adventures so that, at least in some way, ALL of us are going to war together.

As it is, only a small fraction of our country "goes to war".

It would make the politicians think twice about how much we REALLY need to do this.

In my scenario, Afghanistan happens, Iraq probably does not - and if it does, there is much incentive to get it the hell over with - Afghanistan as well.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Are they bothering you?

Is the use of video games in Armed Forces Recruiting bothering me? Yes it is. Are they bothering me personally? To an extent that any solicitor bothers me I guess. I walked past the tents in between classes and appointments and was hounded each time to play Guitar Hero.

I fundamentally take issue with the use of video games in an attempt to get the youth of the nation to lay their lifes on the line. I want our Army to be a place of honor that does not need to stoop down to these McDonalds level marketing ploys.

You know, we love to give lip service to how great our military is and what an honor it is to serve and yet no one wants to serve. If they did you wouldn't have a need for these huge video game displays and all the BS that is going on out there right now. I really do think its the wrong approach to take to fix recruitment issues. I hate it on so many levels. I mean what happens if you don't win at Guitar Hero? Does the guitar explode in your arms and spray you and your friends with shrapnel? Something as important as serving in our armed forces should not entered into on the basis of such a shallow facade.

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever join the military based on playing a video game....but then again there are many so called "life like" video games based on military action so I could be wrong.
There was a time not so long ago when those enlisting in the military never even gave a thought of actually having to go to war. Now it is almost a given. The greatest generation understood.

Anti.Hero
11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope the u.s. services don't partner with the credit card companies during recruitment. I skimmed the post so maybe it was sarcasm.

The government actually did something great a year or so ago and went after these payday advance scum that were preying on the servicemen/women.

Anti.Hero
11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever join the military based on playing a video game....but then again there are many so called "life like" video games based on military action so I could be wrong.
There was a time not so long ago when those enlisting in the military never even gave a thought of actually having to go to war. Now it is almost a given. The greatest generation understood.

It's amazing to think that generations before 15 yr olds were lying about their age so they could go to war.

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
It's amazing to think that generations before 15 yr olds were lying about their age so they could go to war.

+1

doobs
11-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Go to war? That's silly. Doesn't the army just pay for me to wear a uniform, do pushups, and march around?

tony09manu
11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
They did the same thing at my high school. They try to "whoo" you with all the games, free things. It was during lunch in the cafeteria so you couldn't avoid it. The school also is apparently allowed to give them your information because I honestly never filled out any of those forms and I don't know how they would've gotten my phone number otherwise. They constantly call you even if you ignore them. The school sponsored that ASVAB test claiming that it is not an endorsement of the military, but we all knew that is was. Some lady claiming that you could win a free iPod, but you had to fill out a form giving them info. Stuff like that turned me off to the military, not made me want to join it.

doobs
11-13-2008, 04:21 PM
They did the same thing at my high school. They try to "whoo" you with all the games, free things. It was during lunch in the cafeteria so you couldn't avoid it. The school also is apparently allowed to give them your information because I honestly never filled out any of those forms and I don't know how they would've gotten my phone number otherwise. They constantly call you even if you ignore them. The school sponsored that ASVAB test claiming that it is not an endorsement of the military, but we all knew that is was. Some lady claiming that you could win a free iPod, but you had to fill out a form giving them info. Stuff like that turned me off to the military, not made me want to join it.

Why do you hate freedom?

Heath Ledger
11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
What do you think about America's Army which was designed by the Army for recruitment purposes, its a violent first person shooter game much like Ghost Recon, its target is young teens and pre-teens.

DarrinS
11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
You know, we love to give lip service to how great our military is and what an honor it is to serve and yet no one wants to serve.

I have a friend that been on two tours of Iraq and wants to go back.

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 04:56 PM

:tu :tu :tu

JoeChalupa
11-13-2008, 04:58 PM

Nobody makes you sign on the dotted line.

IceColdBrewski
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Nobody makes you sign on the dotted line.

[/thread]

baseline bum
11-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't like them recruiting minors in high schools, but at a college I don't see anything wrong. As for the high schools, those fuckers sell your information to a lot more than the army. One day I told a counselor I was thinking of majoring in aerospace engineering when I went to college, and I immediately started getting hounded by Hallmark Institute of Technology and their aircraft maintenance program.

Bartleby
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Go to the Army's website:

http://www.goarmy.com/home/soldier_life/index.jsp#/?video=singles_weekend&page=0

They make it look like summer camp.

CuckingFunt
11-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I have fewer issues with recruitment than I do with the tactics they employ.

Oh, Gee!!
11-13-2008, 09:59 PM

why's he hanging out with a dick like you?

Nbadan
11-13-2008, 10:40 PM
why's he hanging out with a dick like you?

Probably the #1 reason he wants to go back...

chode_regulator
11-14-2008, 01:21 AM
What I want to know is where are the Marine Corps Tents!!??

seriously? you should know the marine corps doesnt have the money for that. shit the commandant would probaly punch you if you brought that plan to him.

Why do you hate freedom?

:blah:rollin

I hope the u.s. services don't partner with the credit card companies during recruitment. I skimmed the post so maybe it was sarcasm.

The government actually did something great a year or so ago and went after these payday advance scum that were preying on the servicemen/women.

yeah but they still left the rates high as shit. i mean how that was even legal in the first place is incredulous, and why they left it as high as they did is even more incredulous

chode_regulator
11-14-2008, 01:23 AM
for anyone who hasnt been in the military....recruiters will tell yuo anyhting and everything to get you to sign up. they would probably promise you tha tyour first dog that died as a kid will come back to life adn be at boot camp grad if you brought it up.

Nbadan
11-14-2008, 02:39 AM
http://blogs.laweekly.com/fish/2008/11/11/NoThankYou-thumb.jpg

Ya Vez
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Get ready for the draft..

Charlie Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, said he will propose a measure early next year.

In 2003, he proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats will control the House and Senate come January because of their victories in the Nov. 7 election.

It's been proposed and I am sure it will come back now that Obama is going to be in WH..

doobs
11-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Charlie Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, said he will propose a measure early next year.

In 2003, he proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats will control the House and Senate come January because of their victories in the Nov. 7 election.

It's been proposed and I am sure it will come back now that Obama is going to be in WH..

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Rangel was merely trying to draw attention to the fact that the United States is involved in conflicts around the world and only some of our citizens are actually sacrificing. He doesn't want to bring back the draft; he wants an end to US interventionism.

Drachen
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Honestly, my all time favorite "recruiting event" that I ever saw was back in 2000 I went to "Airport." It was a large rave that one of my cousin's friend put together. It was held at a hanger for the national guard armory in Austin. It was HUGE! Well, at about 1:30-2:00 in the morning I noticed there was a booth set up with two military looking personell behind the table and I went up to them and they told me that I could get a free techno CD if I gave my info. I looked at the CD, liked what I saw, so I looked at the card they wanted me to fill out. Name, address, social, phone number, etc. Needless to say, I suddenly had a pseudonym a different address and my social was just 9 numbers taken out of the air, and I had a new CD! So really I have to know, could they think of no better demographic to recruit from??

MannyIsGod
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Sure because Democrats are going to past every piece of legislation that has ever been proposed by a Democrat in the past, right? Because no matter what the legislation is, if another democrat proposes it they'll vote yes on it, right?

And of course, no matter what, President Obama will sign it because they're all Democrats, right? Nevermind if the Dems have never pursued such a thing or if its never been part of Obama's agenda, they're all Democrats so thats all that matters, right?

RandomGuy
11-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Sounds like relatively decent marketing of the kinds they need to be doing to keep up the numbers.

I approve.