PDA

View Full Version : NJ Nets' Sean Williams: Should the Spurs be interested?

SenorSpur
11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Sounds like this Sean Williams is definitely "on the outs" in New Jersey. Is this a guy the Spurs should be interested in?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55409/20081113/nets_williams_getting_increasingly_frustrated/

Sean Williams has been limited to just 24 minutes of play this season.

The Nets haven't seriously considered sending him to the D-League to get floor time.

"Right now there are no plans for that, but it could be a possibility at some point in time," Rod Thorn said. "Obviously Sean needs to play, but we don't have any plans now. We have to see what happens."

http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/1326/sean_williams/

#51. Sean Williams
Height: 6' 10"
Weight: 235 lbs.
Position: Power Forward
College: Boston College
Born: 9th January, 1986
Experience: 1 Season

byrdman31
11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
interesting, havent seen him play, numbers look alright for the minutes hes playing but the 6'10 235 looks promising....

tp2021
11-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe the FO should just make a move for the sole purpose of getting everyone off their sack 'n' ballz.

For a while, anyway.

Steve-O-Matic
11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd love to have him. He wouldn't solve our interior scoring problem, but he'd be a massive upgrade defensively and athletically, and could easily be viewed as a long-term solution at Center from that perspective. I know that their are concerns about his intensity and basketball IQ, but those are things that can be developed here (I believe), and the off-court problems that he had at Boston College appear to be well behind him, too.

DPG21920
11-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe the FO should just make a move for the sole purpose of getting everyone off their sack 'n' ballz.

For a while, anyway.

Spurs front office fantasy basketball league.

Dr. Gonzo
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a wild idea. How about packaging Bonner and Udoka for him?

xtremesteven33
11-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Long 3/4 weve been waiting for.

dbestpro
11-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I have a wild idea. How about packaging Bonner and Udoka for him?

You can only send them 1/3 of Bonner and none of Udoka to make a salary match. You can decide which third of Bonner you want to give up.

SpurSupremacist
11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Long 3/4 weve been waiting for.

LOL? He can't play the 3 at all. He is a power forward, who sometimes could fill in at center... although he'll get pushed around by almost any center because of his slight frame. That said, I think he is perfect for the Spurs if they can get him. He's a hell of an athlete. He can jump as high, if not higher than 90% of the shooting guards in the NBA. He's a GREAT shotblocker, an elite level type shot blocker. I have no doubt he could average 2-3 blocks a game in 30 minutes. Not to mention the countless shots he intimidates around the rim. Package Mahinmi if you have to, this guy is A LOT better than Mahinmi. He is the athletic shotblocker/offensive rebounder the Spurs have lacked forever. He does have an attitude problem, though, but who cares? That's overrated. Talent and on-court chemistry wins, not off-the-court personality.

Bottom line, we need athletic bigs to contain teams like the Lakers. Oberto is a good defender, but Bynum is just too big for him. Same for Kurt Thomas. Williams could at least bother his shot.

xtremesteven33
11-13-2008, 04:49 PM
yea my bad hes not a 3.

Hed be a great energy guy off the bench for us

DROB4EVER
11-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Hell yes he would be great pick up.

SenorSpur
11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
LOL? He can't play the 3 at all. He is a power forward, who sometimes could fill in at center... although he'll get pushed around by almost any center because of his slight frame. That said, I think he is perfect for the Spurs if they can get him. He's a hell of an athlete. He can jump as high, if not higher than 90% of the shooting guards in the NBA. He's a GREAT shotblocker, an elite level type shot blocker. I have no doubt he could average 2-3 blocks a game in 30 minutes. Not to mention the countless shots he intimidates around the rim. Package Mahinmi if you have to, this guy is A LOT better than Mahinmi. He is the athletic shotblocker/offensive rebounder the Spurs have lacked forever. He does have an attitude problem, though, but who cares? That's overrated. Talent and on-court chemistry wins, not off-the-court personality.
Boy, do we need some interior defense and shotblocking to help Duncan.

Bottom line, we need athletic bigs to contain teams like the Lakers. Oberto is a good defender, but Bynum is just too big for him. Same for Kurt Thomas. Williams could at least bother his shot.
The big frontlines of the Fakers, Blazers, Hornets are certainly scary.

Allanon
11-13-2008, 05:00 PM
He's really raw, got lots of energy but not much skill.

He could play a small forward in the West as he wouldn't be any bigger than the Laker/Blazer/Hornet/Suns (Diaw) "small" forwards.

Oh yeah, I forgot, he's also a pretty good defender, don't count on him much for scoring/play-called points but he does get the garbage points.

tav1
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Dream scenario in a lot of ways, but I don't see it happening. He has enough talent that they'll probably ask for at least a first in return. It would be great to happen asap so he could have a training camp in Austin, but, again, this is fantasy stuff.

SpurSupremacist
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
He's really raw, got lots of energy but not much skill.

He could play a small forward in the West as he wouldn't be any bigger than the Laker/Blazer/Hornet/Suns (Diaw) "small" forwards.

I don't think you're understanding. He cannot play the 3, because he does not have the skillset for it. Diaw can play the 3 at Williams size because he is a decent outside shooter, a good ballhandler and a good passer. Williams is none of those. He has decent low post moves, better than I expected, but the occasional jump-hook in the lane and put-backs will be his only points. His jumper is way too inconsistent, he has a big man handle, and he is not a good passer. I've seen him play quite a bit in the NBA last season.

SenorSpur
11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Dream scenario in a lot of ways, but I don't see it happening. He has enough talent that they'll probably ask for at least a first in return. It would be great to happen before asap so he could have a training camp in Austin, but, again, this is fantasy stuff.

....and of course, we have no first round draft choice because of the KT trade with the former Sonics/Thunder.

mrspurs
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
When it comes to bigs I have no clue what the Spurs FO is gonna do. Their signs would say they love big guys who shoot the 3. Thats been the trend anyways.

Allanon
11-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't think you're understanding. He cannot play the 3, because he does not have the skillset for it. Diaw can play the 3 at Williams size because he is a decent outside shooter, a good ballhandler and a good passer. Williams is none of those. He has decent low post moves, better than I expected, but the occasional jump-hook in the lane and put-backs will be his only points. His jumper is way too inconsistent, he has a big man handle, and he is not a good passer. I've seen him play quite a bit in the NBA last season.

Sure he can play the 3, especially with his length and quickness. Should be able to keep up with pretty much any other Small Forward.

The Lakers are just like that. Ariza and Odom are small forwards for the Lakers and both are very inconsistent jump shooters but what they (and Williams) can do is slash with occasional jumpers.

Spurs have plenty of shooters/guys that stand around and wait at the arc, what they need are some slashers outside of Tony/Manu.

SpurSupremacist
11-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Sure he can play the 3, especially with his length and quickness. Should be able to keep up with pretty much any other Small Forward.

The Lakers are just like that. Ariza and Odom are small forwards for the Lakers and both are very inconsistent jump shooters but what they (and Williams) can do is slash with occasional jumpers.

Spurs have plenty of shooters/guys that stand around and wait at the arc, what they need are some slashers outside of Tony/Manu.

Sure, he can play defense on 3's. The main thing is he can't play the 3 on offense, at all. I don't understand where you're coming up with Williams can slash, because he can't. He is a big in every sense on offense.

The difference between Williams and Ariza on offense is that Ariza can handle the ball adequately, Williams can't. The difference between Odom and Williams is that Odom can handle, has range, and can pass effectively.

tav1
11-13-2008, 07:38 PM
....and of course, we have no first round draft choice because of the KT trade with the former Sonics/Thunder.

Yeah, almost forgot. Sean Williams would be an ideal pick up, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards.

tav1
11-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Sure, he can play defense on 3's. The main thing is he can't play the 3 on offense, at all. I don't understand where you're coming up with Williams can slash, because he can't. He is a big in every sense on offense.

The difference between Williams and Ariza on offense is that Ariza can handle the ball adequately, Williams can't. The difference between Odom and Williams is that Odom can handle, has range, and can pass effectively.

On the question of slashing, I don't even think Williams is a 4. He's closer to a 5. He's just a guy that rebounds, shot blocks and sticks back offensive boards. He lives in the lane.

angelbelow
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM
im sure most of the league is interested. hes a very intriguing prospect.

MrChug
11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
INTERESTED?!?!? Hell to the f'kn yeah.

Optomistic? Nope.

HarlemHeat37
11-13-2008, 08:16 PM
living in NY, I've seen most Nets game from the last 2 years, and they're my favorite team in the East..so I've followed Sean since he joined the team..

pros: UNBELIEVABLE athleticism..easily one of the most athletic big men in the NBA, jumps out of the arena..very explosive player on both sides of the ball..a GREAT shot blocker..not consistent, but has the ability to make mid-range jumpers once in a while when he receives a good look..decent passer for his size..good pick and roll finisher..great finisher at the rim with his dunking ability..

cons: bad basketball IQ, bad shot selection..while he's a great shot blocker, he isn't a great defender..he gets pushed around a lot when he matches up with powerful bigs..questionable work ethic..

obviously an intriguing prospect..I think he would do well here though..he played great last year off the ball when Vince and Kidd had the ball, especially VC..Manu and Parker are both capable of playing that role..he would be a good compliment to Tim defensively, since he gives us another shot blocker..

tav1
11-13-2008, 08:23 PM
living in NY, I've seen most Nets game from the last 2 years, and they're my favorite team in the East..so I've followed Sean since he joined the team..

pros: UNBELIEVABLE athleticism..easily one of the most athletic big men in the NBA, jumps out of the arena..very explosive player on both sides of the ball..a GREAT shot blocker..not consistent, but has the ability to make mid-range jumpers once in a while when he receives a good look..decent passer for his size..good pick and roll finisher..great finisher at the rim with his dunking ability..

cons: bad basketball IQ, bad shot selection..while he's a great shot blocker, he isn't a great defender..he gets pushed around a lot when he matches up with powerful bigs..questionable work ethic..

obviously an intriguing prospect..I think he would do well here though..he played great last year off the ball when Vince and Kidd had the ball, especially VC..Manu and Parker are both capable of playing that role..he would be a good compliment to Tim defensively, since he gives us another shot blocker..

Why don't the Nets want him, and what do they want for him?

urunobili
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
cant stop thinking about all the alley oop highlights of TP with him

jjktkk
11-13-2008, 09:25 PM

If the price for him is reasonable, I would definitely take him. Sounds like this kid plays with a mean streak, which the Spurs could always use. Theoretically speaking, by this time next year the Spurs could have potentially have 3, young bigs to develop(Mahinmi, Gist, and Williams). Out of those 3, I would think 2 of them would make the team. Just doing a little dream here, but you never know.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Why did he get kicked off the team at Boston College?

DPG21920
11-13-2008, 09:30 PM

I think it was marijuana.

MI21
11-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Sean Williams can most certainly not play the 3 position. He's a big man in every sense of the word, with a big mans game. Dunks, rebounds and blocks. Comparing him to Odom, Diaw etc is absolutely ridiculous. Both those guys have had minutes at PG in the NBA.

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Nets don't want him because of his attitude, but his attitude is there because he's playing behind 2 other young big men that the Nets are developing instead..Boone and Lopez..he told the Nets directly that he didn't want them to pick up his option..

Lawrence Frank is one of the worst coaches in the NBA though, and not a guy that can get the most out of his players..

I don't know what it would take though..Thorn is a good GM, so it'll take a good deal..

tav1
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
On the laughable suggestion that he is a 3, consider this from Hollinger:

2007-08 season: Williams can finish, rebound and block shots. What he can't do, apparently, is remember plays, and that's what limited his playing time as a rookie. The 6-10 forward certainly showed NBA skills, however. He led all power forwards in blocks per minute, shot 53.8 percent from the floor, and despite a lack of muscle had one of the highest rates of free-throws at his position.

OK, now for the bad news. For starters, he can't handle the ball at all. Williams was 59th out of 62 power forwards in assist ratio and 58th in turnover ratio. He's also not much of a shooter -- he only made five long 2s all season -- which is a problem when he's playing power forward and may ultimately force him to play center despite being undersized.

Scouting report: A spectacular shot-blocker, Williams can leap and has great timing. However, he's not a good defensive player at this point because he was so confused on team defense and frequently out of position. Additionally, his lack of strength is a problem in post defense and on the boards.

Offensively, Williams flies up and down the floor and can get easy baskets in transition, plus he's a solid finisher off passes in the half court. He has no post game and only limited range, and as mentioned above he's a very poor ball handler.

SenorSpur
Nets don't want him because of his attitude, but his attitude is there because he's playing behind 2 other young big men that the Nets are developing instead..Boone and Lopez..he told the Nets directly that he didn't want them to pick up his option..

I'd say he's likely playing behind Boone and Najera. Remember the Spurs were very interested in Najera - until the Nets offered him a slightly better contract offer.

tav1

Pot, which has apparently affected his ability to remember plays.

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd say he's likely playing behind Boone and Najera. Remember the Spurs were very interested in Najera - until the Nets offered him a slightly better contract offer.

yes, but Najera isn't playing much for the Nets, and he's been terrible when they've played him..

Williams just isn't gonna play for the Nets ahead of Boone or Lopez, and Yi is ahead of him too(but Yi doesn't play at all like a big man on either side of the floor)..

DROB4EVER
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM

pot

SenorSpur
11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
yes, but Najera isn't playing much for the Nets, and he's been terrible when they've played him..

Williams just isn't gonna play for the Nets ahead of Boone or Lopez, and Yi is ahead of him too(but Yi doesn't play at all like a big man on either side of the floor)..

Wow. Najera not playing much? Big surprise. Thorn made such a big deal about getting him. He was the ONE player I wanted to see the Spurs go after. Sometimes, I guess the best deals are the ones you don't make.

Also, I forgot that Yi had been traded there too. No wonder Williams can't see the floor - other than the fact that he's probably not developed at the rate they would've preferred.