PDA

View Full Version : James Gist...

angelbelow
11-13-2008, 07:32 PM
if james gist was really told by pop/spurs to develop for a year in europe... does that mean his roster spot is nearly (barring injuries or suckiness) guaranteed? and if so, how long do you guys think his contract will be and how does it affect the 2010 plan?

tav1
11-13-2008, 07:35 PM
At least 2 years, really cheap. Maybe four, still cheap. If he turns out to be good, it would help the 2010 plan by locking up a quality player on a rookie contract. ChumpDumper said this elsewhere, but the Spurs probably sent Gist to Europe just to avoid his being a FA in 2010. Shrewd, if true.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2008, 07:36 PM
EDIT: Uh, yeah -- what I said.

I'll just add that there are no guarantees.

exstatic
11-13-2008, 07:38 PM
In order:
No.
He's a second rounder so it won't be a big contract or a long contract, or even necessarily fully guaranteed. The Spurs won't do anything to affect 2010 unless someone wants to part with high level young talent, lottery talent.

temujin
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
The way this guy is playing, he might be guaranteed of an invitation for the summer league.

Not necessarily the NBA summer league.

Thompson
11-13-2008, 08:37 PM
The way this guy is playing, he might be guaranteed of an invitation for the summer league.

Not necessarily the NBA summer league.

Do you have his stats? Is he playing poorly?
How similar are Gist and Tolliver; can either of them play the small forward spot (are they fast enough)?

tav1
11-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Do you have his stats? Is he playing poorly?
How similar are Gist and Tolliver; can either of them play the small forward spot (are they fast enough)?

He's playing alright. Search this site, and you'll find the info you seek.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
He's averaging like 12 pts, 6 reb and 1 blk in 30 minutes after six games.

jjktkk
11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
He's averaging like 12 pts, 6 reb and 1 blk in 30 minutes after six games.

Not bad for a rookie just beginning. I'd bet that he easily makes the Spurs next year. I see Gist being the type of big/small forward combo kind of player who can defend the perimeter well, as well as board and block shots. What ever offense he produces is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. I haven't seen a prospect like this on a Spurs team in a long time. I am very intrigued by Gist's potential for the Spurs in the next few years.

Manufan909
11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Doesnt euro points translate to even more points in the NBA, or did I remember that incorrectly?

ChumpDumper
11-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't know. Sharrod Ford was completely owning his first four games, including one against Gist's team.

Gino2882
11-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Doesnt euro points translate to even more points in the NBA, or did I remember that incorrectly?

I don't believe there is an exchange rate on basketball points...

Although the 3pt line is a bit closer in Europe.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
11-14-2008, 04:28 AM
euro games = 40 minutes
nba games = 48 minutes

Manufan909
11-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks for trying, Danilo, and Gino. Let me put it this way: I know Hollinger or somebody has an equation, because there are less touches in Europe ball or something, so players score more in the NBA, or vice versa. I hope it's the 1st one.

temujin
11-14-2008, 09:20 AM
The biggest difference is that you play a lot of zone defense, which can be a huge problem for the playground-type, one-on-one maniacs.

Gist is doing OK, on a bad team in a weak regional tournament, with no Euroleague exposure.
He is third in scoring and second in rebounding on his own team. He has the tendency to be in foul trouble.
He leads the league in dunks, though; note that dunks are still worth 2 points in Europe.

Overall, there are at least 15/20 bigs that are better than him in the Italian league right now. Some of them are young.

To put things in perspective, a 23/24 years old Manu played for the best team, was undisputed MVP in a much more competitive environment back then, with lots of very serious Eulogeague games played and won.

On the bright side, Gist can easily improve and his attitude seems to be quite right.

hater
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
dunks are still worth 2 point in Europe???

what a joke

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM

yes points, rebounds, especially assists is much higher.

12 point and 6 rebound is not bad for Italian League.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
The biggest difference is that you play a lot of zone defense, which can be a huge problem for the playground-type, one-on-one maniacs.

Gist is doing OK, on a bad team in a weak regional tournament, with no Euroleague exposure.
He is third in scoring and second in rebounding on his own team. He has the tendency to be in foul trouble.
He leads the league in dunks, though; note that dunks are still worth 2 points in Europe.

Overall, there are at least 15/20 bigs that are better than him in the Italian league right now. Some of them are young.

To put things in perspective, a 23/24 years old Manu played for the best team, was undisputed MVP in a much more competitive environment back then, with lots of very serious Eulogeague games played and won.

On the bright side, Gist can easily improve and his attitude seems to be quite right.

Very few American rookies from college are able to be top players in Europe. It just is not possible for them. Americans believe these "scrubs" dominate there but is nonsense. He is doing about normal probably. Even Italian League is much higher level than us college.

urunobili
11-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Very few American rookies from college are able to be top players in Europe. It just is not possible for them. Americans believe these "scrubs" dominate there but is nonsense. He is doing about normal probably. Even Italian League is much higher level than us college.

i have to agree there... the scrubs end up in South America or similar level leagues...

JamStone
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
euro games = 40 minutes
nba games = 48 minutes

30 minutes in Euro games = 30 minutes in NBA games

I. Hustle
11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
James Gist is taking his time because if he unleashes the beast he might take all the NBA fans away and make the euroleague the league to watch. James Gist has all of you in mind. Remember that.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 06:26 PM
30 minutes in Euro games = 30 minutes in NBA games

Games are average 60-70 points scored most of times in Europe. Stats cannot be look at in same way at all.

The Truth #6
11-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Just saw James Gist's second blog is up. He mentions the loss of his grandmother as well as breaking a backboard when he returned to Italy after the funeral.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Grandma/391410

ChumpDumper
11-27-2008, 12:44 AM
He's doing well, not earth-shattering, but well in Italy's A-league.

in 7 games:

30.1 min
12.6 pts
60.4% fg
22.2% 3pt
70.6% ft
6.0 reb
2.1 off
0.3 ast
3.4 pf
1.7 stl
1.3 blk

Gino2882
11-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Would anyone else like to see him in Tolliver's spot? In fact I would LOVE to see him next to Tim Duncan.

mystargtr34
11-27-2008, 12:59 AM
The pace is awfully slow in Europe, the shot clocks are even 30 seconds arent they?

Biggems
11-27-2008, 01:09 AM
I think those numbers are nice. He is playing everyday and learning the game of basketball on a global scale. It will only help him when he comes over to us. I can't wait till he gets here.....good-bye Vaughn, Thomas, Oberto

Parker, Hill, Ahearn
Mason, Manu, Hairston
Bowen, Gist, Finley
Duncan, Tolliver
Ian, Bonner

timvp
11-27-2008, 01:23 AM
He's doing well, not earth-shattering, but well in Italy's A-league.

in 7 games:

30.1 min
12.6 pts
60.4% fg
22.2% 3pt
70.6% ft
6.0 reb
2.1 off
0.3 ast
3.4 pf
1.7 stl
1.3 blk

Those look like quality stats for a rookie in Europe. I like that he's averaging as many blocks as the rest of the team combined and that he's outplaying Trent Plaisted ... who was drafted 11 spots higher.

After this year in Europe, hopefully the Spurs bigman situation is healthy enough that he can spend a year or two in Austin. By that time, hopefully he has added enough skill to go with his raw athleticism.

TDMVPDPOY
11-27-2008, 03:16 AM
those are better numbers than what mahinmi was posting in france league.

naico
11-27-2008, 05:32 AM
The pace is awfully slow in Europe, the shot clocks are even 30 seconds arent they?

No that was changed to 24, 6,7 years ago.

mrspurs
11-27-2008, 05:55 AM
I don't believe there is an exchange rate on basketball points...

Although the 3pt line is a bit closer in Europe.

Yeah dont forget he is playing in a mickey mouse league,

mrspurs
11-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Those look like quality stats for a rookie in Europe. I like that he's averaging as many blocks as the rest of the team combined and that he's outplaying Trent Plaisted ... who was drafted 11 spots higher.

After this year in Europe, hopefully the Spurs bigman situation is healthy enough that he can spend a year or two in Austin. By that time, hopefully he has added enough skill to go with his raw athleticism.

Not another Ian. Timmy will be bald and a grandpa by the time any of these guys make the team.

galvatron3000
11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Would Gist be an NBA level Small Forward for the Spurs or is he more a undersized PF?

T Park
11-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Outside of Mahinmi finally playing and showing he can play in the league, I don't know of anywhere else they can get a bigman that would keep him from making the roster next year.

tav1
11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
TPark is holding down ST on Turkey Day. Happy Thanksgiving, man.

Darkwaters
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm going to go over to Biella for a game in January once I go back to Italy. I'll give a good report at that time. I only live like 90 minutes away.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah dont forget he is playing in a mickey mouse league,

Not another Ian. Timmy will be bald and a grandpa by the time any of these guys make the team.

Can someone please shut this fucker up?