PDA

View Full Version : US Yahoo Confrim Olympiacos Offer Kobe $30 Millions

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-13-2008, 08:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-kobepaul111208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Now, Bryant is chasing a championship with the specter of a contract opt-out this summer. Already, a source close to his camp says that European powers have reached out quietly to his representation and set baselines for a possible free-agent contract. Offers of $30 million a year in Greece

says one associate, “I guarantee whatever happens that Kobe will take that whole European thing down to the wire before he re-signs with the Lakers.”

Allanon
11-13-2008, 08:59 PM
If Kobe wins a championship this year, no way he's going to Europe.

Obstructed_View
11-13-2008, 11:14 PM
If Kobe wins a championship this year, no way he's going to Europe.

If Kobe doesn't win a championship without Shaq and runs to Europe, he will be the biggest bitch in the history of the NBA forever, and he knows it.

Indazone
11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Money talks and Bullshit walks.

guess who's walkin :lol

lefty
11-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Kobe's not going.

Oh wait, he'll have to buy a more expensive diamond to his wife after another cheating.

Kobe's going.

Lakers_55
11-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Buss said he'll pay to keep the Lakers together. Kobe isn't going anywhere.

RsxPiimp
11-14-2008, 03:42 AM
this is stupid.

yeah thats 30 mil but kobe's going to lose more by leaving.``

Kobe24Forever
11-14-2008, 06:23 AM
fucking stupid publicity stunt, they know no way in hell kobe's leaving for 30 mill, why not put 50 mill on the table while ur at it? I hope kobe pretend to take the offer just to make them crap their pants.

Indazone
11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
He's goin!

The Beckham Factor: Why Kobe Bryant Will Play In Europe

Hooped Up | August 11, 2008

http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/david_beckham.jpg (http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/david_beckham.jpg)
After Josh Childress left the Atlanta Hawks to sign an unprecedented $20 million deal for 3 years with the Euroleague (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=Euroleague) club Olympiacos (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=Olympiacos%20B.C.)in Greece, all you’ve heard is how everybody is leaving the NBA for Europe. Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Brett Favre and blah, blah, blah. Most of that talk is straight BS, that was until Kobe Bryant’s named popped up in all the get your passport ready madness. The moment I heard Bryant’s name, I immediately thought of one other athlete that has been in the same situation and bolted.
Who? Mike Jones David Beckham, and here are the reasons why Kobe Bryant will leave the NBA in 2010 and put LeBron James on page two of the off season moves.

It Fits
After David Beckham left Real Madrid of the La Liga to sign with the LA Galaxy of the MLS for a monster $250 million contract, It was clear that one player could put an entire league on the map. No other player in Europe could pull this off . Nobody! Since Beckham’s arrival to the MLS, every team has prospered and the MLS is now mentioned world wide and games are sold out everywhere Beckham might play. Kobe Bryant speaks fluent Italian and spent his youth in Italy after his father Joe “Jellybean” Bryant (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=Joe%20Bryant) moved the family to Europe to play in Italy. Oh ya, Kobe Bryant also owns 50% of the team his father played for Olimpia Milano (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_5_97/ai_59021267) in Italy. Jordan could not be a player / owner while playing for the Washington Wizards because of retarded league rules, but Bryant could in Italy.
He is the most recognized face in the NBA, speaks Italian, and could sell out buildings for a club he owns everywhere on the planet…hmmm.

To Be Paid In Full
Eric B. and Rakim know the deal and so does Bryant. Josh Childress commanded a $20 million deal for 3 years from Olympiacos to become the highest paid player in Euroleague history. Childress was never an all-star and wasn’t even the best player on his team in Atlanta. Actually, I have never even seen a Josh Childress jersey for sale anywhere. When Beckham signed with Los Merengues for $41 million for 4 year, he wasn’t the best player on his team either. There was Zinédine Zidane, Luís Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Raúl González.
In the MLS Beckham is the man no arguement, just like Bryant would be in Europe. No James or Wade talk over there. The day european teams come knocking, Bryant could demand a kings ransom (thanks to Childress) like Beckham and would become the highest paid player in Europe by a long shot. Who cares about Jordan’s league records when you can have Beckham’s financial records.
Also in Europe, there is no salary cap and the Euro is stronger than the American dollar. Everybody is the New York Yankees across the pond; especially in 2010.

Perfect Age
With a big european payday on the horizon, Bryant will definitely not sign an extension to his contract that expires in 2010, as leverage. Especially since LeBron James will also be a free agent in 2010 and will receive a huge deal. By that time Bryant will be 31 years old with 14 NBA seasons under his belt. Before Beckham came to the US he had 14 UEFA seasons under his belt too and was 32 years old.
Old enough to be the respected face of a league and still young enough to produce.

Rock Star Status
When Beckham arrived to the US it was the athletic British invasion and Beckham mania began to roll heavy. We all got a taste of it when the US hosted the World Cup in 1994. It was also then that Beck’s said he would play in the US for the first time. Coincidence that we hear the same the same pond leaping talk at another International event in the Beijing Olympics? Did you see people mobbing Kobe Bryant in China? He was freakin’ Paul McCartney and John Lennon!
He was McLennon!
Ever since the “Denver mess” the US has not embraced Bryant the same way. It’s all James, Wade and Anthony in the US. In Europe it would be Kobe Bryant all the time, everywhere, everyday.
Plus Nike could sell an obscene amount of sneakers overseas with Bryant in a global spotlight.

Both these guys now live in the same city and Bryant is a huge soccer fan. Do you think he hasn’t already talked to Beckham about a move to Europe? If Kobe Bryant stays in the NBA, it is only because there wasn’t enough Euros on the table. LeBron James bolts first or we learn David Beckham is a hell of a basketball player too.

2Cleva
11-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Bryant isn't going.

Beckham was no longer the best in the game when he left. He came to the US for the money yet he had already been to the pinnacle in European Soccer.

LA can pay Kobe $127 over 5 years (no Europe club has that money) as well as have him in line for multiple championship runs where he is the unquestioned alphadog in one of the biggest markets in the world, as he's already expanding his Asian adverstising.

Better chance of Kobe going to the Knicks than Kobe leaving LA for Europe. But ya'll can dream.

Indazone
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
30 million a year is $150 million over 5 and there is talk of upping that number as far as $50 million a year or $300 million over 5 yrs. It would damn hard to turn down that kind of stash.

SynicFan
11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
haha....

Laker fans are trembling...
just look at all the "justification"....

LOL!!!

"NO KOBE! PLEASE DONT LEAVE US!"

LMAO!!!

Indazone
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Just think how irrelevant the Lakers would be without Kobe.

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
30 million a year is $150 million over 5 and there is talk of upping that number as far as $50 million a year or $300 million over 5 yrs. It would damn hard to turn down that kind of stash.

i dont see how this cant be achieve

f1 drivers get paid alot, i see no reason why bballers cant be paid that much if they are worth it.....

if any baller is going to euro to earn more money, means 1 thing...alot of their investments have either takn a beating in the credit crises...

IronMexican
11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
He's goin!

The Beckham Factor: Why Kobe Bryant Will Play In Europe

Hooped Up | August 11, 2008

http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/david_beckham.jpg (http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/david_beckham.jpg)
After Josh Childress left the Atlanta Hawks to sign an unprecedented $20 million deal for 3 years with the Euroleague (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=Euroleague) club Olympiacos (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=Olympiacos%20B.C.)in Greece, all you’ve heard is how everybody is leaving the NBA for Europe. Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Brett Favre and blah, blah, blah. Most of that talk is straight BS, that was until Kobe Bryant’s named popped up in all the get your passport ready madness. The moment I heard Bryant’s name, I immediately thought of one other athlete that has been in the same situation and bolted.
Who? Mike Jones David Beckham, and here are the reasons why Kobe Bryant will leave the NBA in 2010 and put LeBron James on page two of the off season moves.

It Fits
After David Beckham left Real Madrid of the La Liga to sign with the LA Galaxy of the MLS for a monster $250 million contract, It was clear that one player could put an entire league on the map. No other player in Europe could pull this off . Nobody! Since Beckham’s arrival to the MLS, every team has prospered and the MLS is now mentioned world wide and games are sold out everywhere Beckham might play. Kobe Bryant speaks fluent Italian and spent his youth in Italy after his father Joe “Jellybean” Bryant (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=Joe%20Bryant) moved the family to Europe to play in Italy. Oh ya, Kobe Bryant also owns 50% of the team his father played for Olimpia Milano (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_5_97/ai_59021267) in Italy. Jordan could not be a player / owner while playing for the Washington Wizards because of retarded league rules, but Bryant could in Italy.
He is the most recognized face in the NBA, speaks Italian, and could sell out buildings for a club he owns everywhere on the planet…hmmm.

To Be Paid In Full
Eric B. and Rakim know the deal and so does Bryant. Josh Childress commanded a $20 million deal for 3 years from Olympiacos to become the highest paid player in Euroleague history. Childress was never an all-star and wasn’t even the best player on his team in Atlanta. Actually, I have never even seen a Josh Childress jersey for sale anywhere. When Beckham signed with Los Merengues for $41 million for 4 year, he wasn’t the best player on his team either. There was Zinédine Zidane, Luís Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Raúl González.
In the MLS Beckham is the man no arguement, just like Bryant would be in Europe. No James or Wade talk over there. The day european teams come knocking, Bryant could demand a kings ransom (thanks to Childress) like Beckham and would become the highest paid player in Europe by a long shot. Who cares about Jordan’s league records when you can have Beckham’s financial records.
Also in Europe, there is no salary cap and the Euro is stronger than the American dollar. Everybody is the New York Yankees across the pond; especially in 2010.

Perfect Age
With a big european payday on the horizon, Bryant will definitely not sign an extension to his contract that expires in 2010, as leverage. Especially since LeBron James will also be a free agent in 2010 and will receive a huge deal. By that time Bryant will be 31 years old with 14 NBA seasons under his belt. Before Beckham came to the US he had 14 UEFA seasons under his belt too and was 32 years old.
Old enough to be the respected face of a league and still young enough to produce.

Rock Star Status
When Beckham arrived to the US it was the athletic British invasion and Beckham mania began to roll heavy. We all got a taste of it when the US hosted the World Cup in 1994. It was also then that Beck’s said he would play in the US for the first time. Coincidence that we hear the same the same pond leaping talk at another International event in the Beijing Olympics? Did you see people mobbing Kobe Bryant in China? He was freakin’ Paul McCartney and John Lennon!
He was McLennon!
Ever since the “Denver mess” the US has not embraced Bryant the same way. It’s all James, Wade and Anthony in the US. In Europe it would be Kobe Bryant all the time, everywhere, everyday.
Plus Nike could sell an obscene amount of sneakers overseas with Bryant in a global spotlight.

Both these guys now live in the same city and Bryant is a huge soccer fan. Do you think he hasn’t already talked to Beckham about a move to Europe? If Kobe Bryant stays in the NBA, it is only because there wasn’t enough Euros on the table. LeBron James bolts first or we learn David Beckham is a hell of a basketball player too.

Are you like the princess of old articles? If Kobe leaves, he is a big bitch. Good thing he isn't

IronMexican
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Just think how irrelevant the Lakers would be without Kobe.

When were the Lakers not relevant? Kobe can leave, and we would get another super star to play in LA like that. We don't live in some shit hole.

Allanon
11-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Kobe's only goal is to win rings, lots of 'em.

If he keeps on winning here, he ain't going anywhere. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a slight paycut to keep the Lakers together.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Bryant isn't going.

Beckham was no longer the best in the game when he left. He came to the US for the money yet he had already been to the pinnacle in European Soccer.

LA can pay Kobe $127 over 5 years (no Europe club has that money) as well as have him in line for multiple championship runs where he is the unquestioned alphadog in one of the biggest markets in the world, as he's already expanding his Asian adverstising.

Better chance of Kobe going to the Knicks than Kobe leaving LA for Europe. But ya'll can dream.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

You are moron.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Keep praying buddy.

What? I am Panathinaikos fan. Olympiacos is our rival. This is considered one of 3 greatest sports rivalries in whole world and bigger than ANY rivalry in all US.

IronMexican
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
KBP, do you have an American team? If not, why do you post here?

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
KBP, do you have an American team? If not, why do you post here?

Spurs is my favorite NBA team even though look like glory days is over for them now :rolleyes

JamStone
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
It will take $50 million a year for Kobe to seriously consider it. And, he won't be a bitch if he leaves for $50 million a year.

Hemotivo
11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
too much money

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
It will take $50 million a year for Kobe to seriously consider it. And, he won't be a bitch if he leaves for $50 million a year.

This is $30 millions NET. Is much MORE than $50 million contract would be.

JamStone
11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I know about the "no taxes, we pay for your housing and all that other shit" about Greek contracts.

I still say it takes $50 million a year to get Kobe to seriously consider it. And, that doesn't mean he goes, just consider it.

coldsweat
11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Kobe's only goal is to win rings, lots of 'em.

If he keeps on winning here, he ain't going anywhere. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a slight paycut to keep the Lakers together.

i agree with you that kobe's goal is to win rings and he won't go anywhere. but take a pay cut - i don't see it - he'll have enough confidence in the team even if they lose a few pieces to take advantage of his payday.

samikeyp
11-14-2008, 02:50 PM
All that article says is that an offer is confirmed...doesn't mean Kobe is going.

It would be career suicide and he knows it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I know about the "no taxes, we pay for your housing and all that other shit" about Greek contracts.

I still say it takes $50 million a year to get Kobe to seriously consider it. And, that doesn't mean he goes, just consider it.

You fails at maths then. Typical US schools education. $30 millions net is HUGE increase from what he make in NBA. Are you not capable of understand no tax and no agent fee is with Olympiacos contracts.

I am not sure how much does Kobe pay his agent or what will be cost of his taxes in US but I know for sure how much taxes is and agent fees is in Greece. if is similar in US then this contract Olympiacos want give him make Laker one seem like absolute joke.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 02:54 PM
All that article says is that an offer is confirmed...doesn't mean Kobe is going.

It would be career suicide and he knows it.

I was call liar by most all in this forum for say it was report in Greece. See how fast stories here change.

z0sa
11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
:lmao at the fool who said no euro club can match an NBA club's offer - its the exact reason why anyone would even consider it. $30 mil a year untaxed?

Okay you idiots, you do understand the government sometimes takes sixty percent of the very rich (ie Kobe's) money ANNUALLY, and its going to go UP. To not consider this deal would be the stupidest move of all time.

td4mvp21
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I would hope that Kobe, or any other NBA superstar, would not leave to Europe. That would be a great loss for NBA basketball.

Indazone
11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Actually Kobe going to Europe would be good for basketball overall. Horrible for the Lakers and the NBA short term but good for basketball as it would raise international interest and awareness. Eventually leading to something like FIFA soccer.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
If this had come out this time last year, before the Lakers got Gasol, I would believe that there was a respectable chance of it happening, but with the Lakers set to take a crack at a championship for a few years to come? He'll stay home.

Actually Kobe going to Europe would be good for basketball overall. Horrible for the Lakers and the NBA short term but good for basketball as it would raise international interest and awareness. Eventually leading to something like FIFA soccer.

This is the only scenario that I envision that makes me think that this has might have a prayer of happening. If Kobe's ego is even bigger than we think he could convince himself that he could single handedly elevate Euro ball to global prominence. And someone willing throw this kind of dough at you is just the sort of thing that can make you believe you're the biggest thing since sliced bread.

Allanon
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
:lmao at the fool who said no euro club can match an NBA club's offer - its the exact reason why anyone would even consider it. $30 mil a year untaxed?

Okay you idiots, you do understand the government sometimes takes sixty percent of the very rich (ie Kobe's) money ANNUALLY, and its going to go UP. To not consider this deal would be the stupidest move of all time.

As a US citizen, Kobe would still have to pay US taxes if he plays in Greece. He won't have to pay Greek taxes.

Indazone
11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
but does the Greek club pay the US taxes for the player?

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
but does the Greek club pay the US taxes for the player?

It is $30 millions net. Ignore this crap about US taxes. Childress have already say 3 different times in media he is have nothing less than the $20 millions net even though some Americans refuse believe this and keep says "American taxes come out of this". I think he knows better than Lakers fans in this board.

Allanon
11-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I've never seen anything that says the club will pay for the US tax portion.

Kobe will get his $30 million check, in full
Childress will get his $20 million check, in full

But then they'll have to talk to Uncle Sam.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I've never seen anything that says the club will pay for the US tax portion.

Kobe will get his $30 million check, in full
Childress will get his $20 million check, in full

But then they'll have to talk to Uncle Sam.

WRONG

It has been explain hundred times here before. I am sick of explain it to idiots that cannot read.

$20 million is what go to Childress and he keep all of it. Same would be for Kobe $30 million per year he would keep all of it. You are just making up stupid crap that is wrong.

No matter how many time it is explain to some Americans they is much too dumb to understand it. Even ESPN explain it like dozen times when players like Nachbar and Delfino sign in Russia and still some idiots cannot figure it out.

Allanon
11-14-2008, 06:51 PM
WRONG

It has been explain hundred times here before. I am sick of explain it to idiots that cannot read.

$20 million is what go to Childress and he keep all of it. Same would be for Kobe $30 million per year he would keep all of it. You are just making up stupid crap that is wrong.

No matter how many time it is explain to some Americans they is much too dumb to understand it. Even ESPN explain it like dozen times when players like Nachbar and Delfino sign in Russia and still some idiots cannot figure it out.

Yes, $20/$30 million goes into Childress/Kobe's' pocket but then he has to pay US taxes at the end of the year.

Why would a Greek team do payroll taxes in the USA? Proof?

SpursFanFirst
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I hope that smug ass goes...I'll never have to watch him play again.
Sure sounds good to me!

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Yes, $20/$30 million goes into Childress/Kobe's' pocket but then he has to pay US taxes at the end of the year.

Why would a Greek team do payroll taxes in the USA? Proof?

WRONG

Can you not understand simple thing? Do you have job? Do you understand Net versus gross pays? have you ever work before?

Allanon
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
WRONG

Can you not understand simple thing? Do you have job? Do you understand Net versus gross pays? have you ever work before?

Nope, I worked Overseas many times in my life.

My overseas employer paid my taxes in THAT country and I got a NET paycheck. But I still had to file taxes out of my NET income at the end of the year to Uncle Sam.

Maybe Olympiacos (it's possible) pays US taxes too, but I've never seen anybody say that.

mavs>spurs2
11-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Kill Bill, as a US citizen Kobe would have to pay income tax at the end of the year. The only way he wouldn't is if he renounced his US citizenship and became a Greek citizen

Basically, Olympaicos would pay for his taxes that he owes to Greece, but when he came back home the US government would still take a piece

Indazone
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Nope, I worked Overseas many times in my life.

My overseas employer paid my taxes in THAT country and I got a NET paycheck. But I still had to file taxes out of my NET income at the end of the year to Uncle Sam.

Maybe Olympiacos (it's possible) pays US taxes too, but I've never seen anybody say that.

Doesn't it depend on the country and the tax agreements worked out between the countries?

Allanon
11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Doesn't it depend on the country and the tax agreements worked out between the countries?

It does depend on the country, some countries tax foreigners, some don't. And of course, I'm not an NBA player so there may be some lucrative incentives for players.

But there are no tax agreements between countries as far as I know.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-14-2008, 08:10 PM
How dumb can some here be? NET SALARY.