PDA

View Full Version : Happier times for Seattle through three weeks this year

ducks
09-24-2003, 09:38 PM
By TIM KORTE, AP Sports Writer
September 23, 2003

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) -- Last year, coach Mike Holmgren and the Seattle Seahawks had to explain everything that was going wrong.

Now, heading into a bye week, they're enjoying the spoils of a 3-0 start, a complete reversal from last season when they were winless through three games.

``Night and day,'' Seahawks long-snapper J.P. Darche said Monday. ``We're the same team but with a different attitude. We expect to win. And it sure is a lot more pleasant to come to work.''

Holmgren credited last season's struggles for molding this year's quick start. The Seahawks were weighted by a flurry of injuries throughout last season before regrouping to win their final three games.

``To play and coach when you're winning is easy,'' Holmgren said. ``Last year was a real test for all of us. I was proud of the way the team finished. We could have gone in the tank.''

The Seahawks got a big boost Sunday by winning in dramatic fashion. Seattle rallied from a 13-point deficit going into the fourth quarter to beat the St. Louis Rams 24-23.

``It was a special day for a lot of reasons,'' Holmgren said.

Matt Hasselbeck threw a 3-yard slant to Koren Robinson for a touchdown with 1 minute to play, capping a drive made possible because linebacker Anthony Simmons made a huge interception with 3:15 on the clock.

``That, to me, is a sign of maturity,'' said Holmgren, in his fifth season in Seattle. ``That's a team coming together. We still have a ways to go, but it's as good as it's been since I've been here.''

So much has occurred at team headquarters in the past year.

Holmgren relinquished his general manager's title after last season, but stayed as head coach. Ray Rhodes came in as defensive coordinator, and the front office bolstered the defense through free agency and the draft.

It gave everyone reason to believe things could change quickly.

``The attitude and commitment level was different,'' fullback Mack Strong said. ``Everybody was very focused going into the offseason. We felt we already had a good team because we did a lot of things well at the end of last season.''

Holmgren will reward his team for its success, giving them four days off starting Thursday because of the bye. He emphasized, though, that 13 games remain and there's still plenty to accomplish.

The Seattle offense started slowly against the Rams, a persistent problem this season, and the defense has allowed opponents to convert on third downs at a troubling 50 percent rate.

``We're just like every other team in the league,'' Holmgren said. ``It's important to take things one game at a time and continue to believe in ourselves.

``But if we don't let the old stuff creep in and we stay lucky with injuries, I think our best football is still ahead of us.''
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-unbeatenseahawks&prov=ap&type=lgns)

mattyc2422
09-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Our new defensive line is a godsend. Hamlin and Trufant are excellent additions and quickly becoming favourites of mine. Added toughness and depth.

Matt Hasselbeck has improved immensely. He has confidence in himself, confidence in his team mates and is thinking much quicker. He will lead us to the playoffs.

The win the other day was one that we would have lost last year, but guys stood up when counted. Mental toughness.

Oh, and Darrell Jackson and Koren Robinson continue to develop.

GO SEAHAWKS.

matty (the one and only Seattle Seahawks fan on FSP [I think]):lol