PDA

View Full Version : Not getting to the Free Throw Line

jlpittsley
11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
My big worry of the Spurs right now is the lack of free throws. Hill is probably the only healthy player that can "turn the corner" on a defender and get to the basket. Roger Mason penetrates by driving around in an arc. Finley has lost that first step. Forget about Ime. As a result, the team have to shoot a very high percentage to make up for the lack of foul shots.

This whole situation may force Hill and Tolliver to grow up fast. I noticed Hill started to position himself by setting up the offense via backing the defender down to the wing. This position would facilitate three offensive choices, 1) a steps towards the free throw line for a shot, 2) a baseline drive, 3) or a screen and roll that is more within his range.

Tolliver will likely begin the Bowenesque "Shot fake and Two Step drive." It's a sad state when Bowen may have the best move to the basket on the team.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
The Spurs went to the hoop aggressively against the Knicks. They stood around and shot jumpers against Milwaukee.

jlpittsley
11-14-2008, 03:08 PM
"The Spurs went to the hoop aggressively against the Knicks. They stood around and shot jumpers against Milwaukee."

True, Good point. The Bucks my have a better defense guard lineup.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
"The Spurs went to the hoop aggressively against the Knicks. They stood around and shot jumpers against Milwaukee."

True, Good point. The Bucks my have a better defense guard lineup.

Possibly, but Gary Payton hasn't been there in a while. It's more about aggression than anything else. Jump shooting teams don't go to the line.

Bender
11-14-2008, 03:15 PM
not sure if you've been welcomed to the Forum yet, jlpittsley, so welcome to the Forum !