PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rules about talking to refs during games

Lakers_55
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Let's get away from all the praise and suck threads for a moment. When I was a teen, back in the 60's and 70's, I seem to recall there was a rule that only the team captain could speak to the referees during a game. If you weren't the captain and whined, it was a technical foul against you.

Now, everyone bitches at the referees: players, coaches, ballboys, fans, etc. It is conjecture whether this works to get calls in your favor or not, but if this rule was brought back, the referee job would be a lot easier. The players would behave better, and the chances for fights would be reduced. I think it would lead to more trust of the officiating, especially if the league reviewed games afterword.

Comments of agreement or disagreement or anything at all? Thanks.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Let's get away from all the praise and suck threads for a moment. When I was a teen, back in the 60's and 70's, I seem to recall there was a rule that only the team captain could speak to the referees during a game. If you weren't the captain and whined, it was a technical foul against you.

Now, everyone bitches at the referees: players, coaches, ballboys, fans, etc. It is conjecture whether this works to get calls in your favor or not, but if this rule was brought back, the referee job would be a lot easier. The players would behave better, and the chances for fights would be reduced. I think it would lead to more trust of the officiating, especially if the league reviewed games afterword.

Comments of agreement or disagreement or anything at all? Thanks.

I don't think any sort of mandatory punishment for trying to talk to the ref would be a good idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing the refs given a little more latitude to shut the guys up. Maybe give them the right to tell a guy, "I don't want to hear it," and then penalizing them if they don't just walk away at that point.

The part I disagree with is the part I bolded. I'd like to see a decrease in whining but the inherent risk is that if a guy can't speak his peace to a ref he might turn around take matters into his own hands the next time down the court.

Lakers_55
11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think any sort of mandatory punishment for trying to talk to the ref would be a good idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing the refs given a little more latitude to shut the guys up. Maybe give them the right to tell a guy, "I don't want to hear it," and then penalizing them if they don't just walk away at that point.

The part I disagree with is the part I bolded. I'd like to see a decrease in whining but the inherent risk is that if a guy can't speak his peace to a ref he might turn around take matters into his own hands the next time down the court.

very good points. I remember a game somewhere in the 70's where a scheduled referee couldn't participate and only one worked the game. Sure, he missed some calls, and probably made some bad ones, but the players supported him the whole game with words of encouragement. Under the circumstances, and with two teams backing him up, he did a great job, one no ref would want to have to do, ever.

If just the captain can talk to the ref, one can be selected that is diplomatic. Example: Captain Duncan says to ref after talking to Manu. "Ginobili knows he fouled Nash. But he wants you to note that Nash is sticking him with elbows first every time down the floor. Please keep an eye on that too, thanks." The refs get to develop a relationship with a select few players and their interpretations of plays can be conveyed to the players by the captain so that the players may adjust their playing style accordingly.

If I am a whiner, and not the captain, I can't bitch anymore. Therefore, as a professional, my coach teaches me to move on and play better in order to satisfy my frustrations.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd love to see the refs blow the whistle at any challenge of their authority or any sign of disrespect, however that manifests itself, be it gesturing, yelling, or even continuing to argue a call. I remember getting teed up once for politely asking a ref if he was sure about a call. If refs didn't have to put up with all the bullshit, you'd be less likely to have egos like Joey Crawford in the league, and you certainly could justify bouncing their asses out if they continued to try to be bigger than the game.

In addition, I'd like to see the ability to give additional technical fouls to guys who continue to argue after being ejected or fail to leave the court. For example, Kenyon Martin would have cost his team an extra three or four points for that stupid shit that he pulled last night.