PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's lesson...

Dex
11-14-2008, 09:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_out

We're looking at you, Thomas, Oberto, and Bonner.

leemajors
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
what about duncan? 2 boards in the half... this is the first game they haven't had on tv in austin :( everything else has been on foxsw HD. Congrats Fox, on showing UTSA for no reason.

mVp
11-14-2008, 09:49 PM
No shit, box the fuck out guys!!! WTF!! Even Brooks has an offensive rebound and the guy is a fucking midget, are you fucking kidding me?!?

Obstructed_View
11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_out

We're looking at you, Thomas, Oberto, and Bonner.

You're looking at the wrong guys then. Duncan and Tolliver were worse.

Hemotivo
11-14-2008, 11:19 PM
:reading

Anti.Hero
11-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Bonner looks like he would be strong but he gets pushed under the damn rim when waiting for the rebound....by smaller guys.

SenorSpur
11-14-2008, 11:29 PM
All the bigs (including Duncan) need a crash course in the fundamentals of rebounding. From gaining and securing the ball and especially boxing out. It's unbelievable how many offensive rebounds this team surrenders. It's all about heart and desire.

Even the Rockets announcers were marveling at how the Rockets were able to consistently keep getting second chance points. The lauded the Rockets for their heart and effort.

mVp
11-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Timmy 5 rebs (0 offensive)

Brooks 8 rebs (2 offensive)

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Thomas82
11-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Timmy 5 rebs (0 offensive)

Brooks 8 rebs (2 offensive)

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, that's unacceptable.

GSH
11-15-2008, 12:53 AM
All the bigs (including Duncan) need a crash course in the fundamentals of rebounding. From gaining and securing the ball and especially boxing out. It's unbelievable how many offensive rebounds this team surrenders. It's all about heart and desire.

Even the Rockets announcers were marveling at how the Rockets were able to consistently keep getting second chance points. The lauded the Rockets for their heart and effort.

Duncan has averaged 12 boards a game for 11 seasons in the NBA. Who the fuck is going to give him lessons in the fundamentals of rebounding? Duncan needs some help in the middle, and he isn't getting a hell of a lot of it.

And in case you didn't notice, Duncan is 6 inches shorter than Yao Ming - and Yao only got 8 boards tonight himself. A lot of those offensive boards are hustle plays by other guys. And no matter how good Duncan is, he can't box out two or three players at the same time.

You may also not have noticed that the game took a big turn in our favor when Yao got his 5th foul. Do you think it may be a little more important for the Spurs right now to have Duncan on the floor for the whole game, rather than banging for every board, and getting into foul trouble?

TJastal
11-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Duncan has averaged 12 boards a game for 11 seasons in the NBA. Who the fuck is going to give him lessons in the fundamentals of rebounding? Duncan needs some help in the middle, and he isn't getting a hell of a lot of it.

And in case you didn't notice, Duncan is 6 inches shorter than Yao Ming - and Yao only got 8 boards tonight himself. A lot of those offensive boards are hustle plays by other guys. And no matter how good Duncan is, he can't box out two or three players at the same time.

You may also not have noticed that the game took a big turn in our favor when Yao got his 5th foul. Do you think it may be a little more important for the Spurs right now to have Duncan on the floor for the whole game, rather than banging for every board, and getting into foul trouble?

Very good points here, esp the part about Duncan not getting into foul trouble.

I think the team needs major help on the boards, and a major trade is the only solution. And I'm not talking about Bonner + picks type trade. Fuck that, keep Bonner he is a good bench/role player and he and Tolliver will fight each other for limited minutes which is a great thing!

I'm talking about Tony Parker. Who plays a position the spurs just happen to be quite deep at now thanks to the early development of George Hill. Hill has the talent to be a starting PG in this league, so why not? Spurs need guys who can not only shoot, but rebound the basketball and make hustle plays.

My suggestion? Tony Parker for Andris Biedrins + Kelenna Azubuike.

Why it makes sense for the spurs: Azubuike gives them a small forward who is a ferocious hustle player in the mold of Malik Rose - great rebounder for his size and can score in a variety of ways, in fact he's been putting up 20 pts a game regularily for GS. Biedrins is a dominant force in the paint, and his only getting better.

Why it makes sense for GS? Well they need a point guard who can run and gun and set up plays for Maggette, Jackson, and (when he returns) Monta Ellis. Parker is all of that and then some. I think he would thrive in that type of environment. They are deep at small forward, so they can afford to let Azubuike go. Losing Biedrins would hurt, but they have Ronny Turiaf who is a respectable player to step in.

Spurs lineup after this trade

C Biedrins, Thomas, Oberto
PF Duncan, Tolliver/Bonner
SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
SG Ginobili, Mason/Finley
PG Hill, Vaughn

Rememeber, we have Roger Mason who can step in and play some PG if needed (if Hill is struggling).

I don't think the spurs would ever get outrebounded with Biedrins, Duncan, and Azubuike on the frontline.

mrspurs
11-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Say what you want a win is a win. But its a win from beyond the arc. And Ive always said to live and die from beyond the arc is a slow death in this league. We hit our 3's we win. We miss our 3s we lose. The biggest difference last night was we played 48 minutes. And we made stops in the end. Stops give ya a chance to win games. Even if the game winner is from beyond the arc. Ill take this win and run with it.

Bender
11-15-2008, 10:05 AM
this was the second game in a row with 5 reb. for Tim.

last night he was the 3rd place rebounder on the spurs. not looking at the Box now, but I think Hill & Mason had more than him...??

djohn14
11-15-2008, 10:12 AM
At least Mason got his boards. (9)

de Soto
11-15-2008, 10:41 AM
what about duncan? 2 boards in the half... this is the first game they haven't had on tv in austin :( everything else has been on foxsw HD. Congrats Fox, on showing UTSA for no reason.

check out myp2p.eu for free links to all games. need a fast connection though.

MrChug
11-15-2008, 10:48 AM

I think the team needs major help on the boards, and a major trade is the only solution. And I'm not talking about Bonner + picks type trade. Fuck that, keep Bonner he is a good bench/role player and he and Tolliver will fight each other for limited minutes which is a great thing!

I'm talking about Tony Parker. Who plays a position the spurs just happen to be quite deep at now thanks to the early development of George Hill. Hill has the talent to be a starting PG in this league, so why not? Spurs need guys who can not only shoot, but rebound the basketball and make hustle plays.

Why it makes sense for the spurs: Azubuike gives them a small forward who is a ferocious hustle player in the mold of Malik Rose - great rebounder for his size and can score in a variety of ways, in fact he's been putting up 20 pts a game regularily for GS. Biedrins is a dominant force in the paint, and his only getting better.

Why it makes sense for GS? Well they need a point guard who can run and gun and set up plays for Maggette, Jackson, and (when he returns) Monta Ellis. Parker is all of that and then some. I think he would thrive in that type of environment. They are deep at small forward, so they can afford to let Azubuike go. Losing Biedrins would hurt, but they have Ronny Turiaf who is a respectable player to step in.

SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
PG Hill, Vaughn

Rememeber, we have Roger Mason who can step in and play some PG if needed (if Hill is struggling).

I don't think the spurs would ever get outrebounded with Biedrins, Duncan, and Azubuike on the frontline.

I really do have to admit, that deal's the shit. Both Azubuike and Biedrins are the shit. They're the least discussed performers in the league. Underappreciated and not hyped at all. That's the way we like them. The Spurs way :).

Biggems
11-15-2008, 10:59 AM
why dont we do something outrageous. I know a certain all-world rebounder who is struggling financially. Let's get this guy in here and have him coach up our players on the art of rebounding. I think you guys know who I am talking about too......and if you don't, well you don't know our history or this colorful fella.

sa_butta
11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Keep washing uniforms with HEB Bravo 2X detergent.

Phenomanul
11-15-2008, 12:33 PM

SF Azubuike, Bowen/Udoke
PG Hill, Vaughn

As good as those two are... you don't trade away a winning formula. Parker is clutch and damn near unstoppable when his mid-range jumper is falling. Did you see him against Minnesota? He is an MVP caliber player and we wouldn't be getting that in return....

Also, don't forget that Manu is a better than average rebounder for his position... Hill and Mason have also proven to be good rebounders. And last but not least, Duncan always picks it up in this department when it counts... he's averaged more than 12 rpg in his last 7 playoff series...

Bad rebounders so far:
Bonner
Thomas (is he still hurt?)
Oberto
Bowen
Finley

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 12:34 PM
why dont we do something outrageous. I know a certain all-world rebounder who is struggling financially. Let's get this guy in here and have him coach up our players on the art of rebounding. I think you guys know who I am talking about too......and if you don't, well you don't know our history or this colorful fella.

What the hell are you talking about??

Dex
11-15-2008, 02:03 PM
You're looking at the wrong guys then. Duncan and Tolliver were worse.

Tolliver's a no0b and nobody deserves to criticize Duncan but Pop.

The other guys, I don't make excuses for.

Glad to see the Spurs pull out the win, but Jesus Christ they still need to learn how to grab a damn basketball.

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Tolliver's a no0b and nobody deserves to criticize Duncan but Pop.

The other guys, I don't make excuses for.

Glad to see the Spurs pull out the win, but Jesus Christ they still need to learn how to grab a damn basketball.

So in other words, you'll shit on the same old suspects regardless of whether they play well and make excuses for the guys you like. Nicely done.

spurster
11-15-2008, 06:27 PM
A big question is: What is wrong with Kurt Thomas? He's been a rebounding machine up to this point in his NBA career.

T Park
11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah I'm sure professional ball players will give a crap what some person behind a computer thinks about rebounding and thinking they know more about the game than them.

SenorSpur
11-15-2008, 06:30 PM

In case YOU didn't notice, Duncan got 5 boards for the second consecutive game in a row. The Spurs cannot survive many games with Duncan not getting at least a double-double (which he's done for most of his career). I realize this is a taller task because he's our lone superstar, he is playing 40 mins a night, and he obviously needs big time help on the frontline - a point that I've stressed in previous threads.

I'm just sick of seeing this team repeatedly give up second chance points because they're not boxing out. With the offensive struggles they're currently having, they can ill-afford to give any opponent that many additional looks.

On last night, Yao was not the only Rocket leading the 2nd chance parade. It was the Rocket SFs and guards were part of the party too. Everyone is guilty of that and can improve - starting with Duncan.