PDA

View Full Version : WTO says "state aid" for auto industry illegal

cool hand
11-14-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3793399,00.html

weird.

MannyIsGod
11-14-2008, 11:25 PM
We don't listen to the WTO so w/e. It really does go against free trade though.

baseline bum
11-15-2008, 01:01 AM
The WTO can blow me while I'm on the shitter.

MannyIsGod
11-15-2008, 01:32 AM
The WTO fights for my poker rights :(

boutons_
11-15-2008, 09:24 AM
"don't listen to the WTO"

... except when it's to the cherry-picking USA's advantage. Like US sending Powell to the Repug-despised UN to get resolution for war-for-oil.

another example, US BigFood corps are loving Codex Alimentaris.

kwhitegocubs
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
So, apparently, the state-subsidized auto manufacturers in several WTO countries don't constitute state aid.

What about the Airbus controversy - they've gotten tons of ultra-low interest loans in response to their various snafus (oh noes, we used the wrong software!).

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 03:22 PM
So the WTO hasn't said anything about the legality of US aid to automakers.

Tully365
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
The whole car industry thing is always tough for me to judge, because it requires excessive consumerism and vanity to stay profitable anyway, and yet also employs so many Americans... One of my best friends-- a moderate Republican who drives a Toyota Prius-- absolutely hates the American car industry and is always going on about how ugly, clunky, and wasteful American cars are and I have to say that generally I agree.

New cars, generally, are a terrible and totally unnecessary purchase IMO, literally losing value every day... I've never seen the appeal of buying new cars.

Anti.Hero
11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree, however there are some awesome deals on trucks right now. No sense in getting 2-3 yr used truck when the new ones are so cheap. It's ridiculous to go into debt 25k on a depreciating asset like most Americans do. But like you said, we depend on people to do this to grow the economy :lol

I never gave a shit about cars so I can't comment on the quality of USA cars to Asian ones.

BradLohaus
11-16-2008, 02:58 AM
another example, US BigFood corps are loving Codex Alimentaris.

Very scary subject. I just started reading about it, and I came across a good article a couple of days ago. I think I'll start a thread.