View Full Version : Barry Melrose fired

JamStone
11-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Damn, 16 games into the season????

Back to Bristol, Barry.

lefty
11-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Not surprised.

He went to the 93 Stanley Cup Finals thanks to Gretzky and Robitaille.

Plus, he's always hated Montreal because he lost to them in the same Stanley Cup Finals :king

Now, back to where he belongs? (ESPN)

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Does ESPN even cover the NHL since they stopped broadcasting the games? I'm surprised the scores are still on the ticker thingy at the bottom of the screen.

Whisky Dog
11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Does the guy really suck that bad?

dbreiden83080
11-15-2008, 11:54 AM
How do you hire a coach and can him 16 games into the season. Were they asleep when they interviewed the guy??

DarkReign
11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
How do you hire a coach and can him 16 games into the season. Were they asleep when they interviewed the guy??

It was a player revolt. Melrose coaches old-school style. In your face, on fire and not very kind. Today's athlete doesnt respond to that because they have guaranteed contracts. To be more specific, you cant scare them like you could in the past.

So now Tampa has a former player who played in the same era as the current roster and understands the necessary coddling thats necessary.

jack sommerset
11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Melrose was a minor league thug. When I was a kid he played for the Red Wings minor league team in Glens Falls NY, he would start fights. Thats all he did. We loved it. He lives there still. He looks like he soften up on ESPN. Still 16 games, unreal.

samikeyp
11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
One less mullet in the NHL.

dbreiden83080
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
It was a player revolt. Melrose coaches old-school style. In your face, on fire and not very kind. Today's athlete doesnt respond to that because they have guaranteed contracts. To be more specific, you cant scare them like you could in the past.

So now Tampa has a former player who played in the same era as the current roster and understands the necessary coddling thats necessary.

But they had to know he was in your face when they hired him i would hope.. I mean a player revolt, i guess that is just mgt being cowardly if they gave in like that. Lots of coaches are still in your face and they don't get canned because some of the team are crybabies about him..

jack sommerset
11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I was thinking when he was anounced head coach he was going to have some problems with the players. He was reporting on all the players for ESPN and had to say some not so kind words about the players and as people know hockey players beat to a different drum. Again 16 games is a short run.

dbreiden83080
11-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I was thinking when he was anounced head coach he was going to have some problems with the players. He was reporting on all the players for ESPN and had to say some not so kind words about the players and as people know hockey players beat to a different drum. Again 16 games is a short run.

It's very odd. I mean usually if there are communication issues or whatever with the team, a coach is given at least until the all star break/half-way point to right the ship. Usually they get the whole year, but 16 games that is almost un-heard of..

DarkReign
11-18-2008, 03:01 PM
But they had to know he was in your face when they hired him i would hope.. I mean a player revolt, i guess that is just mgt being cowardly if they gave in like that. Lots of coaches are still in your face and they don't get canned because some of the team are crybabies about him..

Eh, you never really know how a coach is going to be that hasnt actually coached in 13+ years.

Dont get me wrong, please. Melrose is not Toe Blake or anything and I can believe that his coaching merits were less than serviceable. In that, there are rumors that he had no real system for players to fall back on when things got close or tough (postioning, back checking assignments, breakout patterns, etc).

So, one camp can say he was an ill-prepared relic whose only claim to fame was Gretzky being the best to ever lace-em-up. The other can say the players arent used to being screamed at.

I just wanted to present both sides of the speculation, although both do not reflect well on Barry as a coach either way.

dbreiden83080
11-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Eh, you never really know how a coach is going to be that hasnt actually coached in 13+ years.

Dont get me wrong, please. Melrose is not Toe Blake or anything and I can believe that his coaching merits were less than serviceable. In that, there are rumors that he had no real system for players to fall back on when things got close or tough (postioning, back checking assignments, breakout patterns, etc).

So, one camp can say he was an ill-prepared relic whose only claim to fame was Gretzky being the best to ever lace-em-up. The other can say the players arent used to being screamed at.

I just wanted to present both sides of the speculation, although both do not reflect well on Barry as a coach either way.

Interesting stuff. It probably was not a good idea to bring someone back into the fray after so many years on the sidelines but still find it odd that the areas you highlighted about his system were not properly addressed in interviews or maybe the team did just all revolt on him and they caved in. Good points you made BTW..

DarkReign
11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Interesting stuff. It probably was not a good idea to bring someone back into the fray after so many years on the sidelines but still find it odd that the areas you highlighted about his system were not properly addressed in interviews or maybe the team did just all revolt on him and they caved in. Good points you made BTW..

Youre talking about in an inexperienced ownership group more concerned with ticket sales and marketing savvy than actual results.

Their ability to discern the difference between a coach with an actual, workable system and a coach who gives a good interview using buzzwords like aggressive forecheck and relentless pressure is more than likely lacking.

Moreover, IMO, the Tampa ownership think they have the next Sidney Crosby in Steven Stamkos. While they may end up being right, I am sure thier accountants forseen profit windfalls. It isnt everyday you have the opportunity to buy a franchise that just selected the #1 overall pick.

Just wait until later this season when teams who are out of the playoff picture really start tanking in the hopes they get to select Tavares.

IronMexican
11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
I use to watch the Hockey breakdown because of this guy. His accent was awesome.

lefty
11-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Youre talking about in an inexperienced ownership group more concerned with ticket sales and marketing savvy than actual results.

Their ability to discern the difference between a coach with an actual, workable system and a coach who gives a good interview using buzzwords like aggressive forecheck and relentless pressure is more than likely lacking.

Moreover, IMO, the Tampa ownership think they have the next Sidney Crosby in Steven Stamkos. While they may end up being right, I am sure thier accountants forseen profit windfalls. It isnt everyday you have the opportunity to buy a franchise that just selected the #1 overall pick.

Just wait until later this season when teams who are out of the playoff picture really start tanking in the hopes they get to select Tavares.

:tu

BTW, Lecavalier adimitted he he complained to Melrose about his minutes, but said ne never pushed for his exit. (that might be BS)

I like what Tochett did by putting St-Louis back on the same line with Vinny. Lecavalier had a career year last season with Marty.

IMO, Stamkos would have been more productive if he didn't join a team that already has 2 superstars (loke it was the case with Crosby and Ovechkin)

kwhitegocubs
11-19-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't know if this is true, but it seems like the leash is shorter in hockey (for a coach) than in any other sport. I was righteously pissed when the Blackhawks fired Savard 4 games in (4!).... after a 4-1 victory!

Now Melrose is likely a tough-guy type of coach and I think that, even beyond guaranteed contracts, today's player is simply part of a different general social mindset. Dad doesn't break out the belt, nuns don't break out the rulers, etc....
I'm cool with that.

But it still seems like you have to give a coach more time than 16 games!

DarkReign
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
But it still seems like you have to give a coach more time than 16 games!

Especially when you have the roster turnover Tampa did in the offseason.

2centsworth
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
when did they end the strike?

DarkReign
11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
when did they end the strike?

Youve been reading the 1600 year old joke book, I see.

Wait...for....it....

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/images/smilies/rimshot.gif