PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Weekend Dime: Marbury to Mavs possible?

Shank
11-15-2008, 12:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081115-16

Sidebar:
Don't dare compare Stephon Marbury to Stephen Jackson.
Just because Jackson was not your typical, reserved Spur back in 2003 when he helped San Antonio win a championship -- and just because Marbury did a little lobbying this week for consideration from the injury-ravaged Spurs if he becomes a free agent -- that doesn't mean you should expect to see Marbury's name on a list of potential fill-ins for sidelined Tony Parker.

Gregg Popovich got a lot out of Jackson in '03 and expressed interest in reuniting with Latrell Sprewell in recent years after coaching Spree in the early 1990s as a Golden State assistant. But I think we can safely say that Marbury is in a different category, which should explain why, based on everything I've heard, Steph won't be considered by the Spurs no matter how thin they seem while waiting for Parker and Manu Ginobili to heal.

If you're looking for a Texas team that will give Marbury a real look, NBA front-office sources say it's Dallas. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has a friendly relationship with Marbury, and Cuban's team clearly needs more scoring off its punchless bench. With Jason Terry operating primarily as a shooting guard these days, J.J. Barea is Dallas' primary backup to Jason Kidd at the point.

At this point, though, club sources say that the Mavs have merely resolved to talk with Marbury and consider the option if Steph continues to progress toward a buyout with the Knicks. There will be inevitable hesitations about what Marbury would do to the Mavs' chemistry -- which isn't looking terribly solid under new coach Rick Carlisle -- and louder questions about how he'd fit as an understudy to Kidd after those two were swapped for each other in the summer of 2000, after which Kidd led the Nets to back-to-back appearances in the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003.

JMarkJohns
11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Not seeing how this would work out. Marbury feuded with the Knicks last season about coming off the bench, so I don't see why he'd all of a sudden be down with it.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh, please do this.

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh, please do this.

That's what I thought, too. Aside from Cuban selling the team, this is number one on my Mavs Christmas list.

Gino
11-15-2008, 08:44 PM
LMAO!!!

I wonder if Cuban will give him a room in his mansion like he did with Dennis Rodman.

Findog
11-15-2008, 08:53 PM
That's what I thought, too. Aside from Cuban selling the team, this is number one on my Mavs Christmas list.

It doesn't really matter if they get him or not. If you're even seriously considering it, if it's gotten to the point that you have to mull whether or not your team is better with or without Starbury, you've got deeper problems that won't be solved by giving him a roster spot.

Now, with that said, if he got bought out, would he be an upgrade over Barea? I think so. But it's the same principle as Kidd. Kidd can still help a team, but did I want to give up Harris to get him? No.

Obstructed_View
11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
It doesn't really matter if they get him or not. If you're even seriously considering it, if it's gotten to the point that you have to mull whether or not your team is better with or without Starbury, you've got deeper problems that won't be solved by giving him a roster spot.
Well put. Please try to explain that to some of the Spurs fans. :lol

lefty
11-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Kidd+Marbury :lmao

Indazone
11-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Thats an aging backcourt there. But they are different types of guards. Might work Kidd + Marbury. At least it's not as offensive in concept as Francis + Marbury.

Bob Lanier
11-15-2008, 09:11 PM
The Mavs could use his post-up presence.

pauls931
11-15-2008, 10:08 PM
This sounds like the typical stupid cuban idea. I swear he picks up players based on how they played a decade ago.

m33p0
11-15-2008, 11:35 PM
as if the Mavs aren't in serious trouble already.

Findog
11-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Well put. Please try to explain that to some of the Spurs fans. :lol

I mean, the best that they could hope for would be Tim Thomas with the Suns in 06. He stays on the reservation long enough to play well and fool one last team for one last contract.

monosylab1k
11-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Looks like Cuban's making good on his blog's promise to fix the team. Fuck me gently with a chainsaw.

Shank
11-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Cuban has adopted the Jerry Jones line of thinking. It's a Terrell Owens/Pacman/Tank Johnson-type transaction. I'm ok with this move if it happens because, hey - how could it get any worse? It will at least make things a little more interesting.

Indazone
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Bring in Starbury. Then start him with Kidd. It'd be great and the biggest implosion ever seen in the state of TX.

ShoogarBear
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
In a perfect universe, Kidd and Marbury would be one of the all-time Greatest Backcourts Ever. Their styles actually mesh up perfectly.

Unfortunately, Marbury has never understood team ball, and now they're too old.

BUMP
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
LMAO no way this would work, but its gotten to a point that i dont really care anymore.

like somebody said atleast make this season interesting.

DO IT!!!

m33p0
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
they'd get into a hair pulling contest if they weren't bald.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I mean, the best that they could hope for would be Tim Thomas with the Suns in 06. He stays on the reservation long enough to play well and fool one last team for one last contract.

I think you misunderstood me, as many Spurs fans are calling for Marbury to cure the Spurs "offensive woes" not realizing that any ability by Marbury to to get his own numbers will adversely affect scoring by other players, the defense, and team chemistry.

And BTW, you hit another point right on the head: "Fooling one last team for one last contract" is EXACTLY what Marbury wants to do, and any team that he goes to is going to have to showcase him for him to even consider going there. He can't get the numbers that he needs in order to look like he's worth a big contract in San Antonio, which is yet another reason he'll never go there.

Findog
11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I think you misunderstood me, as many Spurs fans are calling for Marbury to cure the Spurs "offensive woes" not realizing that any ability by Marbury to to get his own numbers will adversely affect scoring by other players, the defense, and team chemistry.

And BTW, you hit another point right on the head: "Fooling one last team for one last contract" is EXACTLY what Marbury wants to do, and any team that he goes to is going to have to showcase him for him to even consider going there. He can't get the numbers that he needs in order to look like he's worth a big contract in San Antonio, which is yet another reason he'll never go there.

Plus, I don't think Pop wants the headache of dealing with him. If Cuban wants to sign Marbury, he'll do it over Carlisle's objections. The Spurs are getting two All Star guards next month. Marbury would actually fill a need for Dallas. Granted, he would create problems everywhere else, but he would give the Mavs another scorer.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I agree on all points. The way it's looked, it's not a reach to suggest that the Mavs have nothing to lose by taking a chance on him. I absolutely know what those guys are capable of doing, but I just can't seem to believe they have any chance of doing it.