PDA

View Full Version : "The Next New Model", Spurs the first green franchise

biba
11-15-2008, 12:14 PM
The Next New Model

Posted by Timothy Varner
Friday, November 14, 2008
http://48minutesofhell.blogspot.com/2008/11/next-new-model.html

Buck Harvey has recently written that some around the league dislike the Spurs (and their extended family) for their insistence on doing things "the San Antonio Way." Popovich and Buford have created a model for success, especially for small market teams, and it's hard to begrudge others for taking notice. This model has included an emphasis on character, fiscal responsibility, and a professional locker room.

Beyond this, San Antonio was the first NBA franchise to figure out how to use European basketball as a farm system, whether for selecting low draft picks, finding stars like Tony Parker, or identifying quality role players like Fabricio Oberto. Currently, the Spurs are out in front of another trend, using the D-League as a true farm team--they are one of only two teams which own their D-League affiliate. Their first stab at making this model work, Ian Mahinmi, will debut sometime this month.

In terms of trailblazing a model for success, Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford deserve the lions share of credit. But Spurs owner Peter Holt is getting in on the act with a little ingenuity of his own.

David Stern once remarked that he felt that climate change was the biggest threat of our time. Peter Holt apparently heard the good commissioner and snapped into action. Last June, the Spurs made the move to become the first wind-powered franchise in the league. Since that time, the Spurs have been 100% powered by Windricity, a wind turbine product of CPS energy. Back then Holt said,

"We are exploring recycling and water conservation ideas as well," Holt said in a press release. "We really want to be a model for arenas across the country regarding sensitivity to the environment."

Jerry Needham is reporting that Holt's exploration has led to another paradigm-shifting implementation: The Spurs are now conserving 13.2 million gallons of water per year through a variety of eco-friendly adjustments to the AT&T Center. Peter Holt is quoted as saying, "We are deeply committed to the health and well-being of this community. There is nothing more important than helping to protect and conserve our most precious resource — water.”

Whereas Popovich created a model for team front offices, Holt's actions will demand the attention of fellow owners, the Commissioner's Office, and the rest of professional sports. Whether or not one agrees with the science of climate change, there is no doubt that the Spurs are out in front of this trend, and that they'll continue to march, in that "San Antonio Way," to the beat of their own drummer.

These initiatives dovetail nicely with another hot issue: the economy.

One question I'd love to ask Chairman Holt is how much money his green policies will save the Spurs over a period of 10 or 20 years? Although he is clearly not motivated by the potential financial benefits of such changes, the question is begging the interrogator. Setting aside the controverted subject of climate change, would these changes ultimately help a franchise's bottom line?

How closely is the Commissioner's Office monitoring Holt's green policies, and will the league seek to follow the lead of the Spurs? What things could be done league-wide to follow in the train? If the Spurs have become the first green franchise in professional sports because of the convictions of Peter Holt, when will the convictions of David Stern transform the NBA into the first green sports league?

These questions are worth monitoring. We'll keep you posted.

baseline bum
11-15-2008, 01:11 PM
That's not going to be popular with Texas conservatives.

8ft.tall.tejano
11-15-2008, 01:24 PM
hell yeah...
now can we start selling tofu pups instead of hot dogs?

kskonn
11-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Well I don't see the tofu pups, since that is not really associated with being green.

also I don't see this being an issue with anyone in Texas. texas is already one of the most green states, if not the most green state. We have the most wind power and currently a number of solar panel manufacturing companies are moving into texas, mainly because we are starting to heavily utilize solar power. it is a great program.

8ft.tall.tejano
11-15-2008, 03:52 PM
well even though i meant it as a joke, now that you brought it up...
being a veggie DOES have a green impact...
think about the environmental cost of factory farming, plus the carbon footprint of going from farm to market...etc...

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/ft_eco_living/574

also, i'm glad that you brought up the texas being green thing, but i can't completely buy it til the car is no longer king in texas...

T Park
11-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Can be fine.

Just don't when I go to the game try and shove that BS global warming down my throat.

kskonn
11-15-2008, 03:59 PM
think about the environmental cost of factory farming, plus the carbon footprint of going from farm to market...etc...

also, i'm glad that you brought up the texas being green thing, but i can't completely buy it til the car is no longer king in texas...

you know that is a good point about the hot dogs.

and also about the cars. I should have clarified that texas businesses, leaders, etc... are very green. As far as the majority of individuals I don't think we will ever get rid of the suv's and trucks. A lot of the vehicle choices in texas are driven by the industries that are present. Either way I have always thought that most texans, at least the people I know, do a lot of the little things. Recycle, energy efficient windows, a/c, etc...

kskonn
11-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Can be fine.

Just don't when I go to the game try and shove that BS global warming down my throat.

yea I think the fact that they are saving water is probably the most important thing. This has a pretty big impact on san antonio, and is probably the biggest driving factor. Not to mention they are paying for 13,000 less gallons of water.

Anti.Hero
11-15-2008, 04:09 PM

perfect example of how the libtards brainwash people.

bigfan
11-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Guess we are trying to make up for using that 30 y/o gas guzzling 727 the last few years.

T Park
11-15-2008, 05:09 PM

:lmao

carbon footprint

oh god..

Tully365
11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't see how anyone could oppose using more wind energy, regardless of political affiliation.

Tully365
11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Can be fine.

So you don't want people loudly advocating a position like your SHUT UP AND DRILL signature? I can see that...

tomtom
11-15-2008, 05:49 PM
perfect example of how the libtards brainwash people.

Lol palin sig. Even hardcore conservatives acknowledge how horrible a pick she was

urunobili
11-15-2008, 05:55 PM
iLike it... better green than not...