PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Blake Ahearn, Waive Farmer

Jet915
11-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Please don't bash me cause I don't know if this is true or not but someone else is reporting on valleytalk.net (Missouri Valley website) that Blake Ahearn has been signed by the Spurs. There is nothing to verify it though but I don't know why someone would make that up.

http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=7421

Bartleby
11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
He would never fit with the spurs . . . his FT % is too high.

ducks
11-15-2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/blake_ahearn/index.html

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Looks like it.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Call-Up-1-Blake-Ahearn-to-the-San-Antonio-Spurs-3043/

Weird, seeing as Salim is still out there and had been through a little camp. I guess they're just auditioning again.

Jet915
11-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I guess if it's true, I'm assuming Farmer got dropped. Ahearn in college was probably the best FT shooter in the nation (better than Reddick) and a great 3 point shooter.

ducks
11-15-2008, 09:09 PM
According to DraftExpress D-League scout Jim Hlavac, the San Antonio Spurs are calling up guard Blake Ahearn from the Dakota Wizards of the NBA Development League, making Ahearn the first Gatorade Call-Up of the 2008- 2009 season.

Ahearn was in training camp with the Wizards as the D-League season doesn't begin for another two weeks. Last year, there was one call-up before the season started when the New Jersey Nets called up guard Eddie Gill from the Colorado 14ers.

Coming out Missouri State last season, Ahearn started the year with Dakota and then finished up with the NBA's Miami Heat, playing in ten games and averaging 6.5, 1.5 and 1.5. While with Dakota, Ahearn averaged 19.0, 2.0 and 3.5 while shooting .439 from behind the arc.

Prior to joining the Wizards, Ahearn was with the Minnesota Timberwolves for training camp after playing for them during the Las Vegas Summer League. Ahearn is likely being called up to replace Spurs guard Desmon Farmer.

CubanMustGo
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
from http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Blake-Ahearn-5147/
... despite standing just 6-2 with an underwhelming frame, he’s not much of a point guard, and thus is fairly limited defensively as well.

Tully365
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Strange-- did someone get hurt?

Jet915
11-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, he wasn't much defensively in college.

ducks
11-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Strange-- did someone get hurt?

Desmon Farmer not working out
or not practicing hard
this is the nba not some little league

ducks
11-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, he wasn't much defensively in college.

kerr was not either

ducks
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
countdown tell SequSpur says he sucks

Jet915
11-15-2008, 09:16 PM
kerr was not either

True, just pointing out a fact. I saw him several times playing against Anthony Tolliver in college.

ducks
11-15-2008, 09:18 PM
cool

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Don't post DX articles.

Ice009
11-15-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Blake-Ahearn-5147/
November 7, 2008
Ahearn is one of the top shooters in the league, but is not just your typical suburban backyard shooter. He is a fairly good athlete, and is capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the free throw line (where he simply never misses), as he showed last season en-route to earning a call-up from the Miami Heat. The drawback here is that despite standing just 6-2 with an underwhelming frame, he’s not much of a point guard, and thus is fairly limited defensively as well. It will be interesting to see how he develops this season, as he seems to be getting better all the time.

WTF "underwhelming frame, he's not much of a point guard, and thus is fairly limited defensively as well"

Why are the Spurs signing this guy then?

tav1
11-15-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm trying to figure how this makes any sense...I'm not sure what the Spurs are up to here. Either he's the first of another circus season of call ups or Vaughn is traded or Parker is out longer than expected. Not enough information to know. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'd prefer Farmer waived and Hairston signed, but none of these guys are going to play anyway...

duncan228
11-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't post DX articles.

I'm just curious why? Is it like the AP?

Tully365
11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Insane FT shooter-- last year in D League he was 192-200, for 96%.

Was 108-246 from 3 Point land, 44%.

tomtom
11-15-2008, 09:28 PM
hmm interesting

looks like steve blake

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 09:29 PM
He's supposed to be able to shoot, but hasn't shown it in the NBA yet.

It only makes sense as a warm body/audition signing. There are better options out there if the Spurs were looking for immediate help.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm just curious why? Is it like the AP?Something like that, though they seemed less draconian about it.

Biggems
11-15-2008, 09:31 PM
why not bring up Hairston?

CubanMustGo
Something like that, though they seemed less draconian about it.

I'd suggest (if this is the case) that Kori amend the FAQ. Nothing there about AP either, surprisingly.

timvp
If that doesn't work out, I'd be searching the free agent market. Perhaps someone like Blake Ahearn or Salim Stoudamire.

I'd like for the Spurs to go after McDyess, but I think it's a longshot that he's landed. If the Spurs have PG troubles in upcoming games, I can imagine someone like Salim Stoudamire, Blake Ahearn or Eddie Gill being brought in.

Damn, timvp is good :smokin

Bartleby
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I was hoping Farmer's recent lack of PT was a sign that they were going to call up Hairston.:depressed

ChumpDumper
why not bring up Hairston?Not a point guard (even in name only). Maybe when Tony comes back.

duncan228
Thanks Chump.

timvp
11-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Ahearn is a good signing. I disagree with the above article that he's not a point guard. I watched him when he was with the T'Wolves in preseason and he strictly played point guard and wasn't half bad. Other than his shooting, he had some decent moments with the Heat last year.

What he'll bring is an offensive alternative to Vaughn. Right now, it's tough to play Vaughn because with so few scoring options, the fact that Vaughn is inept offensively is magnified. Ahearn can run the point and hit the open shot. He's also better than he looks at attacking the rim, especially on the fast break. Nothing spectacular but he can push the basketball.

It's too bad to see Farmer go but Pop had tightened up that swingman rotation and he wasn't really needed anymore. With Hill progressing, that pushed Farmer further down the depth charts because Pop would probably use Hill at shooting guard before Farmer now.

I expect Ahearn to be an option relatively soon, especially if we don't see an increase in scoring. Ahearn backing up Hill helps the Spurs offensively and will spread the floor more for Duncan when Hill sits.

Good move :tu

And good luck to Farmer. Hope he eventually finds a team.

Ice009
11-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone think there is a possibility that someone's been traded? It's definitely Farmer that has been cut?

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 09:59 PM
The Spurs would have had to trade two players for one.

ducks
11-15-2008, 10:09 PM
heck they cut duncan
they are trying to tank

Ice009
11-15-2008, 10:10 PM
The Spurs would have had to trade two players for one.

Yeah I know that. I just wondered if there might have been a trade. Probably a 5% of being one though.

Looks like Farmer is the one to go I guess.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd say it's even lower than that since the trade would have to happen before a call up.

timvp
11-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh and thanks for breaking the news, Jet915.

Great find.

dbestpro
11-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Ahearn will be setup to fail so they can sign everybody's favorite guard.
This is the setup to signing Marbury just before Thanksgiving.
If not then Salim will be just about healed and would be next in line.

ducks
11-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Ahearn will be setup to fail so they can sign everybody's favorite guard.
This is the setup to signing Marbury just before Thanksgiving.
If not then Salim will be just about healed and would be next in line.

spurs have tp, hill
marbarry will not want to be the 3 point guard

Jet915
11-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh and thanks for breaking the news, Jet915.

Great find.

Thanks!

ducks
11-15-2008, 10:30 PM
the spur should be awarded^^^^

Ice009
11-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Hmm

I still want to know who is cut.

Russ
11-15-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd prefer Farmer waived and Hairston signed, but none of these guys are going to play anyway...

I'm amazed by the high esteem for Hairson.

He's just not NBA material.

The Truth #6
11-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Hopefully he's good but I'm curious to know their rationale. The one they should gotten rid of is Vaughn if they think he can't be the current backup point guard. So now we keep Vaughn, knowing that he's ill equipped to play?

I would have played Hill 40 minutes a night, and let Mason run the point for the other 8. And with Mason at point, let Farmer get minutes at the 2 guard. It's not like Finley is still tearing it up. He's already coming back down to earth and we will need scoring from the wing.

This already strikes me of impatience. Farmer seemed to be at least engaged as a towel waver. Unless he was lazy in practice, I can't see how this helps us in the long run (as we have one less wing to develop). I would have preferred to stick with Farmer, or if they don't like him, then get Hairston for the future.

Unless they can actually get rid of Vaughn, this seems very shortsighted to me.

timvp
11-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Another angle to this signing could be the Toros. Farmer wasn't eligible to be sent Austin but Ahearn could be sent down if they wish. The timing suggests that could be a possibility. Perhaps the Spurs will let him learn their system with the Toros and then bring him up in a few weeks.

Regarding Farmer, he never appeared to be a long term solution. He was given a couple shots to change that but he simply didn't do enough on the court. But that last spot is pretty flexible. If a swingman goes down, the Spurs can easily just go get Farmer again. Or if Hairston shows potential, they can scoop him up. Right now, I'd say PG is their biggest question mark -- hence Ahearn.

ducks
11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
mason is not a pg right now

ceperez
11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Hopefully he's good but I'm curious to know their rationale. The one they should gotten rid of is Vaughn if they think he can't be the current backup point guard. So now we keep Vaughn, knowing that he's ill equipped to play?

I would have played Hill 40 minutes a night, and let Mason run the point for the other 8. And with Mason at point, let Farmer get minutes at the 2 guard. It's not like Finley is still tearing it up. He's already coming back down to earth and we will need scoring from the wing.

This already strikes me of impatience. Farmer seemed to be at least engaged as a towel waver. Unless he was lazy in practice, I can't see how this helps us in the long run (as we have one less wing to develop). I would have preferred to stick with Farmer, or if they don't like him, then get Hairston for the future.

Unless they can actually get rid of Vaughn, this seems very shortsighted to me.

Agree... play Mason at point and Hill as the 2.

benefactor
11-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Hopefully this puts all the Marbury rumors to bed.

angelbelow
11-15-2008, 11:42 PM
this is a great pick up if true, spurs also showed interest him him over the summer too right?

really sucks for farmer, but i agree, he just didnt show enough to warrant a long term stay. best of luck to him.

tp2021
11-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Hopefully this puts all the Marbury rumors to bed.

Why would it? If anything, it could serve as evidence in support of Marbury being pursued. The Spurs are acknowledging that they need more scoring from the PG spot.

DannyT
11-16-2008, 01:49 AM
how did you post an article before dunc228?

HE always breaks the news FIRST!

tp2021
11-16-2008, 01:55 AM
how did you post an article before duncan228?

SHE always breaks the news FIRST!

FIFY

DannyT
11-16-2008, 02:02 AM
FIFY

jwsus loves you...yes she does:ihit

xellos88330
11-16-2008, 02:08 AM
I can see this making some sense. Pop must be looking for more room for Tim to operate considering the double teams have been coming off of the PG position lately.

The Truth #6
11-16-2008, 03:40 AM
We'll see how this plays out. I still think it's odd that the day after Hill proves that he is a legit NBA player we go out and get another point guard. That doesn't make any sense to me.

I can understand the feeling that Farmer isn't a long term solution at the wing. To that I would say Finley isn't a short term solution at the wing. I guess I wanted to see Farmer get a chance in the last few games before we let him go. With Finley, Udoka, and Bowen all looking iffy from game to game, especially on offense, I still think the wing position is a bigger concern than point guard.

DMX7
11-16-2008, 03:44 AM
We'll see how this plays out. I still think it's odd that the day after Hill proves that he is a legit NBA player we go out and get another point guard. That doesn't make any sense to me.

We have no long term solutions. Besides, one game doesn't prove you're a legit NBA player, e.g. Beno Udrih.

The Truth #6
11-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Hill has nothing to do with Beno. I think that's a forced analogy.

Also, if we were concerned about the backup point position after Tony went down we should have signed someone right away. Signing someone several days later, and after Hill has a game that nearly everyone (but you?) is excited about seem counter intuitive.

If signing Ahearn is a sign that the FO finally realizes that JV actually really does suck, then they should find a way to get him off the team as soon as possible.

Whether you have hopes in Farmer or not, limiting our options at the wing doesn't seem smart to me. We don't always need 3 point guards. Tony isn't going to be out forever. Hill has shown that he can at least halfway handle the starting job until Tony returns. Ride Hill for as many minutes as possible until Tony returns.

What happens when Tony gets back? We cut Ahearn and then go out and sign a new wing player and start over from scratch? If that's has this plays out, then I wouldn't call that the wisest path to take.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2008, 04:13 AM
We cut Ahearn and then go out and sign a new wing player and start over from scratch?Sounds about right.
If that's has this plays out, then I wouldn't call that the wisest path to take.It's just a few weeks. If it's Hairston, he will have had another training camp and a couple of games in the Spurs system under his belt. If not him there are four or five other swingmen I can think of that could contribute at the same level currently on D-League rosters.

The Truth #6
11-16-2008, 04:36 AM
It seems like Pop has zeroed in on his rotations and Farmer wasn't going to get any burn. The last few games with our low scoring droughts and no minutes for Farmer, I guess, showed that Pop was ready to move on.

With our depleted roster I would like to see some new wing - Farmer or whoever else - get a chance before Manu returns but with the dedication to stay fast with Finley, it's not going to matter who they bring in.

AC#21_TD ERA
11-16-2008, 05:33 AM
WTF? Who is this guy? We should have signed Salim Stoudemire instead. Oh well Such Is Life.

Man Mountain
11-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Blake ACORN is going to steal the championship for the Spurs! :clap

galvatron3000
11-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Perhaps with this signing, Manu is more likely coming back sooner than expected thus waiving Farmer and signing a pg til the injured Parker returns. Remember, Farmer's days were numbered upon the return of Ginobili anyway but I expected the Spurs to go after a Big but with the injury to Parker and no playing time for the injured Ian I guess making sure you get offense from the pg position is in order. I just wonder how close Manu is to returning if Farmer is being waived.

mrspurs
11-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Well it goes to show just how bad the spurs dont want mighty mouse and his family. Ive read that mighty mouses family is quite upset with the Spurs FO. They feel the spurs have done nothing more then shaft them. I think both the spurs and the mighty mouse family dont have a clue at the moment. And bringing in this no name is the proof.

DROB4EVER
11-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Im hoping this is a sign we are getting ready to trade vaughn and maybe get a big or a wing that has some talent but is wasting away on someones bench...ie Williams from NJ or Carney from Min.

MrChug
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
He would never fit with the spurs . . . his FT % is too high.

Yup...he's bound to fuck it up and make some freethrows. Bastard.

T Park
11-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Im hoping this is a sign we are getting ready to trade vaughn and maybe get a big or a wing that has some talent but is wasting away on someones bench...ie Williams from NJ or Carney from Min.

Yes because Jacque Vaughn's trade value has skyrocketed!!!

K...
11-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Well it goes to show just how bad the spurs dont want mighty mouse and his family. Ive read that mighty mouses family is quite upset with the Spurs FO. They feel the spurs have done nothing more then shaft them. I think both the spurs and the mighty mouse family dont have a clue at the moment. And bringing in this no name is the proof.

Blake was the last person cut from timberwolves camp. He was a star in the D-league. I'd say that is comparable to Salim. As to who the better prospect is it is debatable. But I could easily see the spurs having had blake on their radar for awhile and just couldn't fit him into their camp roster.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Udoka + Vaughn for a second rounder.

alamo50
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
It was the headband.

Steve-O-Matic
11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Guess we can expect to start seeing some of this in practice now...

http://www.nba.com/media/heat/hpg0708_080321_08.jpg

fyatuk
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd suggest (if this is the case) that Kori amend the FAQ. Nothing there about AP either, surprisingly.

Considering legally you should not cut and paste any article (it's always copyright infringement if you do). You can quote from an article (within reason, ie a sentence here and there, not complete paragraphs, etc) and provide links, but posting the entire article, or even large sections, is a no-no.

duncan228
11-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Jeff McDonald: Hello Blake, Good-bye Desmon (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_h_9.html)

SACRAMENTO -- There was a new face at the Spurs morning shootaround at ARCO Arena on Sunday morning.

With injured starting point guard Tony Parker on the sidelines for another three weeks, the Spurs signed Blake Ahearn, a 6-foot-2 combination guard who had been in training camp with the NBA D-League's Dakota Wizards.

To make room for Ahearn on their 15-man roster, the Spurs had to waive rookie Desmon Farmer. A guard-forward from Southern California, Farmer played in three games. He scored 13 points, but made only 28.6 percent of his shots, and had not played since the Spurs' Nov. 7 loss to the Miami Heat.

Ahearn has 10 games of NBA experience, having been called up from the D-League late last season by the Heat. He averaged 6.5 points, 1.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists with the Heat.

Ahearn, 24, averaged 19.2 points, 2.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists with Dakota last season. He made 43.9 percent of his 3-point attempts.

jiggy_55
11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_blake_ahearn_081116.html

Spurs Sign Blake Ahearn
November 16, 2008

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs today announced they have signed guard Blake Ahearn. Per club policy terms of the contract were not released. At the same time the team announced that guard Desmon Farmer has been waived.
Ahearn is the first player called up from the NBA Development League in the 2008-09 season. He was in Minnesota’s 2008 training camp where he averaged 7.8 points and 1.2 assists in five games. After being waived by the Timberwolves he joined the Dakota Wizards. Ahearn was in camp with the Wizards prior to signing with the Spurs.

During the 2007-08 season the 6-2, 190-pound, Ahearn appeared in 41 games for the Wizards. He averaged 19.0 points, 3.5 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 29.5 minutes per game. He shot .486 (239-492) from the field, .439 (108-246) from three-point land and .960 (192-200) from the line. Ahearn was named the 2008 D-League Rookie of the Year and earned a spot on the All D-League Second Team.

Ahearn was signed by the Miami Heat on 3/21/08. He spent the remainder of the 2007-08 season with Miami. In 12 games with the Heat he averaged 5.8 points, 1.6 assists and 1.6 rebounds.

Ahearn played his collegiate ball at Missouri State. In four seasons with the Bears, he averaged 13.8 points, 1.8 assists and 1.7 rebounds in 128 games. Ahearn earned First Team All-Missouri Valley Conference honors his junior and senior seasons. For his career Ahearn shot .423 (483-1,142) from the field, .408 (276-676) from three-point range and .946 (435-460) from the foul line. He finished collegiate career as the all-time leading free throw shooter in NCAA Division I history. Ahearn led the nation in free throw shooting his freshman, sophomore, and junior years.

Farmer was signed by the Spurs as a free agent on 9/17/08. He appeared in three games for the Silver and Black, averaging 4.3 points and 2.0 rebounds in 18.0 minutes.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_h_9.html

Jeff McDonald: Hello Blake, Good-bye Desmon
SACRAMENTO -- There was a new face at the Spurs morning shootaround at ARCO Arena on Sunday morning.

With injured starting point guard Tony Parker on the sidelines for another three weeks, the Spurs signed Blake Ahearn, a 6-foot-2 combination guard who had been in training camp with the NBA D-League's Dakota Wizards.

To make room for Ahearn on their 15-man roster, the Spurs had to waive rookie Desmon Farmer. A guard-forward from Southern California, Farmer played in three games. He scored 13 points, but made only 28.6 percent of his shots, and had not played since the Spurs' Nov. 7 loss to the Miami Heat.

Ahearn has 10 games of NBA experience, having been called up from the D-League late last season by the Heat. He averaged 6.5 points, 1.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists with the Heat.

Ahearn, 24, averaged 19.2 points, 2.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists with Dakota last season. He made 43.9 percent of his 3-point attempts.

duncan228
11-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Conversation here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109832

jiggy_55
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Didn't notice the article you posted at the end of that thread so I posted the official news from spurs.com here..

Russ
11-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Maybe they think Hill is a true combo guard who can play the 2 with another PG at times.

If so, I can't blame em -- Hill can guard the bigger guards (SGs) and he can create his own shot and score.

Maybe the Spurs are upping their expectations for GH. :)

Biernutz
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Spurs Sign Blake Ahearn

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_blake_ahearn_081116.html

Man Mountain
11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
NBA D-League Profile: Blake Ahearn
Friday, February 29, 2008
http://hardwoodparoxysm.blogspot.com/2008/02/nba-d-league-profile-blake-ahearn.html

Blake Ahearn is not tall. He's not exceptionally fast, nor does he have unbelievable acceleration. He does not have what is commonly referred to as "tremendous upside." He is not freakishly athletic. He is not naturally gifted. He's just a very talented basketball player that wakes up every single day and does whatever he can to get better.

Blake didn't go to a major program. He wasn't heralded by magazines. He came from St. Louis Missouri, out of DeSmet Jesuit High School. He went to Missouri State University in Springfield, MO. He wasn't discussed in draft breakdowns, didn't have a video package on him prepped by ESPN. He was just another college player that graduated. and was expected to disappear. Funny thing, though, Blake Ahearn didn't plan on disappearing. He planned on doing what he'd always done. Working hard, getting better, succeeding in the face of doubt, and playing in the NBA.

I had no idea who Blake Ahearn was until about a week ago. I went to cover a Toros game for the Austin Chronicle and got the media notes. I noticed that since Ahearn had moved to the starting spot 7 games ago, he was averaging 27 points a game. "That's a nice little bump," I thought. "Wonder if the kid's any good." Blake turned in 27 points on 53% shooting, with 4 assists and a steal. But numbers can be easy to rack up in the D-League, same as the NBA (hello, Larry Hughes). Blake's wasn't a statistical fluke, though. He exhibited poise and versatility, running the offense and showing exceptional decision making for when to slow the game down and when to speed it up. He pushed when they had the break, and pulled up when they needed to reset. And he shot when he knew he had the look. I came away very impressed with him. So I decided to track him down and talk to him.

The thing that surprised me off the bat was Blake's confidence. This is a rookie, mind you. I've found in the D-League that it's rare to find guys that aren't on assignment from an NBA club with confidence. They're either trying to find their footing in the league and constantly weighing whether they're wasting their time and if they should just go to Europe, or they're vets that have bounced back and forth and seem weary, just hoping to get some measure of security somewhere. Blake was all guns when I asked him about Europe. Before that, he'd been very casual, talked about how he was trying to open up his point game since he knew he didn't have the size to play the 2 guard in the NBA. He talked about the game and his feelings on it. When I asked him about how he felt about his chances of being called up, and if he'd be heading overseas anytime soon to take the money (an everyday conundrum for D-League players), though, he centered. He looked me straight in the eye, and said,

"I didn't grow up as a kid dreaming of playing in Europe. I'm going to play in the NBA."

One of the reasons Ahearn may have so much determination about himself is that he doesn't seem to think anyone else has it for him. When I sat down to talk to him over the phone yesterday, I asked him why he doesn't think he's been called up yet. His answer was revealing about how he approaches the challenges in front of him.

"You know, that's a good question. I feel like I can play now. I think it's just... people are hesitant. Each level I've gotten to, people have doubted me. When I was in St. Louis, people said I should play in a small, Division II school. I went to a Division I. Then in college, my coach said if I made a shot, or made a three in the game, that'd be good. I started scoring consistently. I don't look like a basketball player. People don't think I can do it. That's why I work so hard, I want to prove people wrong. "

Blake learned to lean on his talents, on skills, to excel. His game is clearly inspired by Steve Nash, and you can see it with the way he approaches the game, right down to the way he tests the perimeter like Nash. He also has mastered the fundamentals to add the little details to his package. And when I say mastered, I mean mastered.

Turns out Blake Ahearn is a record holder. Blake owns the record for career free throw percentage in the NCAA. He shot 94.6% for his career. Think about that for a tick. That means, if you take 100 of his free throws, he's probably going to hit 95 of them. He had a down year his senior year, only shooting 92%. Yeah.

Funny thing, guess who's on top of the D-League for free throw percentage? Yeah, that is funny.

You can tell from talking to him, though, that he doesn't like to talk about it, for fear of being turned into "the free throw guy." It's clear that free throw shooting is just another aspect of his game that Ahearn is trying to make perfect. Each day, with each shot, always pushing, always working. Trying to get better. Trying to make the league. Trying to achieve his dream.

And he's convincing people. One shot at a time.

Blake Ahearn was kind enough to take some time out of obsessively watching basketball to sit down with me for an interview.

Matt: Do you still hold the record for free throw percentage, that you know of?

Ahearn:Yes I do.

Matt:How do you feel about that?

Ahearn:I don't talk about it a lot. That's what people knew me for. But I like to think I do more than just shoot free throws. It's not something you like to look back on when your playing days are gone.

Matt:You're also leading the D-League in free throw shooting. That's a little bit insane. Is that something you keep track of?

Ahearn:Actually I don't. I haven't looked at my stats this year. I'm a superstitious guy and I kind of don't want to know. My cousin calls me all the time and lets me know if I'm doing good or if I need to step it up a little bit. I've never been a guy that follows stat. If you get to looking at him and get caught up in them, you should just go out and play, it'll take care of itself.

Matt:How many free throws do you shoot a day?

Ahearn:During my workout in the offseason, I'll make 152. during the year, I'll make 102 a day. In the d-league, with the lack of facilities, we don't have the gun, so... I've made 102, I try and do the same here.

Matt:You told me the other night that you were focusing on becoming more of a combo guard. Can you tell me what that process involves? Is it mostly work on your own, or does the D-league or the individual teams work with you on those things?

Ahearn:When i played the 2, I knew I'd have to learn to play point guard, it's one of those things where you just kind of have to do it. I obviously watch a lot of basketball. I watch a lot of Steve Nash, he's similar to me, 6 foot white guy, not a lot of speed. The more i put myself in a point guard situation, the better I can become.

Matt:What do you think is the biggest thing keeping you back from the NBA?

Ahearn:You know, that's a good question. I feel like I can play now. I think it's just... people are hesitant. Each level I've gotten to, people have doubted me. In the St. Louis division, people said I should play in a small division 1 school. Then in college, my coach said if I made a shot, or made a three, that'd be good. I don't look like a basketball player. People don't think I can do it. That's why I work so hard, I want to prove people wrong.

Matt:What players have you tried to emulate?

Ahearn:Steve Nash is the model. He relies a lot on skill. Passing, dribbling, shooting. My favorite player of all time is Pete Maravich.

Matt:Did you enter the NBA draft?

Ahearn: No, I didn't. My agent probably put me in. But I couldn't tell you. It was a hard year. I went to Portsmouth, and didn't shoot very well. And basically, no one game me a serious look.

Matt:Were you in any of the summer leagues or preseason?

Ahearn: I wasn't invited to anything. No workouts, no summer camps. Nothing.

Matt:How did you get into the d-league?

Ahearn:I had some offers overseas. My agent said going to the league would be a good resume builder. Obviously you're seen a lot here. I didn't work all my life to play in Europe. Now there's nothing bad about that. But my dream is to play in the NBA. I put my name in the draft, and my agent called all the teams, and I got drafted.

Matt: How much communication, if any, have you had with the league?

Ahearn:Yeah, my agent's talked to a lot of people, as well as my coach. Some scouts and general managers that are interested and have said some positive things. It's just a matter of finding the right place at the right time. Like I said before, I'm looking for any opportunity to make the most of.

Matt:What's your usual day like when you're not on the road?

Ahearn:Travel days take up our whole day. We'll get up, have breakfast, do practice around 11, practice about an hour and 15. And then, it's kind of on your own. Get your extra shots, and work out. Lot of free time. It's good with the travel wearing you down. It's a lot. We're up at 4:30 of 5AM, and it can wear on you a little bit.

Matt:Free Time:

Ahearn: Watch TV, watch a lot of basketball. Being in Bismarck, it's so cold you don't even want to leave your apartment. It gets kind of boring here in Bismarck. I love Golf, I watch that a lot.

Matt:Big win last night over Sioux Falls. JC Mathis mentioned that the was tired of playing you guys because you'd played so often. Do you have that same feeling?

Ahearn: Oh yeah. When we showed up, I think it was the fifth time we've played in seven games, and it's one of those things, you want to play someone different. You know all the plays, you know where they're going. It's nice to not see them for a while that's for sure.

Matt:I've spoken with some D-League personnel and it seems like the emphasis of the coaches and staff is to develop the players, not necessarily to win games. Is that the attitude in Dakota?

Ahearn:I think it's both here. Coach Ticknor and assistant Martin, they do a good job of developing your skills. I know scouts don't want to look at teams that are losers, and the more you win, the more chance you'll have of people looking at you. Nobody likes losing anyway.

Matt:How much emphasis do the players put on it, knowing they could get called up any minute?

Ahearn: It's one of the deals with minor league basketball. You re trying to represent yourself and what you can do, but you also want to win games. everybody here in the D-league is used to winning. People are also trying to further their careers. I like to win.

Matt:Would you ever consider doing a blog?

Ahearn:Probably not. I'm not the guy for that. I could probably learn from Rod. I've never been into that stuff, I don't read online and stuff. I don't get caught up on what people say.

Matt:What's been the biggest key to Dakota's success this season?

Ahearn: We haven't lost anybody. We lost Mo Baker. We lost Baker 10 games or so ago. And we haven't had a lot of transition. That's a big deal. And when with so many players coming and going, the chance to play with the same guys consistently helps. Team chemistry.

Matt: What role do you see yourself playing in the league?

Ahearn: I look around the league, and shooters are so rare nowadays. It's hard watching games and not being able to do anything about it.

Matt: Thanks for your time, Blake. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Ahearn: Thanks.

Man Mountain
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
ROD BENSON INTERVIEW WITH BLAKE AHEARN

BKoy9tkfRSA

Man Mountain
11-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Nice call :cell

whottt
11-16-2008, 04:25 PM
If that doesn't work out, I'd be searching the free agent market. Perhaps someone like Blake Ahearn or Salim Stoudamire.

I'd like for the Spurs to go after McDyess, but I think it's a longshot that he's landed. If the Spurs have PG troubles in upcoming games, I can imagine someone like Salim Stoudamire, Blake Ahearn or Eddie Gill being brought in.
Damn, timvp is good

Uh...fail:

Welcome back, G-Dub. If Desmon Farmer ever gets a spot in the rotation, prepare to have a new favorite player.

You heard it here first.

Desmon Farmer is basically Stephen Jackson minus about three inches in height.

:smokin

Russ
11-16-2008, 04:26 PM
NBA D-League Profile: Blake Ahearn
Friday, February 29, 2008
http://hardwoodparoxysm.blogspot.com/2008/02/nba-d-league-profile-blake-ahearn.html

Blake Ahearn is not tall. He's not exceptionally fast, nor does he have unbelievable acceleration. He does not have what is commonly referred to as "tremendous upside." He is not freakishly athletic. He is not naturally gifted. He's just a very talented basketball player that wakes up every single day and does whatever he can to get better.

The Steve Kerr/Brent Barry emeritus position?

MrChug
11-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I really hope/pray this dude can dribble and has some lateral movement. I think we have players that can really light it up if set up correctly. Otherwise they are just stiff guys who can't create their own shot (***cough***Finley, Bonner, Kurt, Tolliver, Udoka, Bowen, Oberto***cough-fuck that's alotta names)

timvp
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Uh...fail:

Stephen Jackson minus three inches of height wouldn't be in the NBA either.

Mr. Body
11-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Stephen Jackson minus three inches of height wouldn't be in the NBA either.

Sure he would. SJax doesn't use his height all that well.

timvp
11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Sure he would. SJax doesn't use his height all that well.

Except to get his shot off ... which is kinda important in his game. A 6-foot-5 SJax with limited ball handling ability, marginal athleticism and minus his unblockable shot would still be playing ball in the Dominican Republic.

T Park
11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I notice body isn't talking much smack about G Hill anymore hahaha

wisnub
11-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Hopefully he is not another scrub that the spurs always picked. I'm tired Spurs always pick second grade or lower class players in order to keep below the cap. I heard he is a very good FT and can knock down 3's..if its true (in the NBA games not in college) then its very good, fook his defense coz we need offense badly and I believe he will be forced to learn defense anyway under Pop system.
Its going to be another hard playoffs with this squad Spurs have now..Bowen is an unbeliavable warrior but i think he should retired when his name is still solid. It is totally unnecessary to got streak of bad games and then dissapeared just like Horry.

El Jefe
11-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Anyone know a jersey number for this guy yet?

MI21
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah, a 6'5 Stephen Jackson would get his shot blocked a hell of a lot, considering he has the worlds slowest release.

timvp
11-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Ahearn will wear number 18. The last number 18 I remember on the Spurs was Cherokee Parks. :depressed

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Did I ask for a Udoka/Vaughn trade yet? EDIT: Oh yeah, I did. Sorry.

tp2021
11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Did I ask for a Udoka/Vaughn trade yet? EDIT: Oh yeah, I did. Sorry.

Who did you have in mind?

El Jefe
11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Ahearn will wear number 18. The last number 18 I remember on the Spurs was Cherokee Parks. :depressed

:tu Thanks

completely deck
11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
When can we expect to see him on the court?

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Who did you have in mind?

My only requirement is that the Spurs get back one fewer player than they let go.

lotr1trekkie
11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
It seems that Pop has decided he has enough SF's and SG's. Sounds like Blake is a better pure shooter than any of the alternatives for now. How does a pure spot up shooter get 200 FT's? Steve Kerr got about 200 in 3 seasons. Can Ahern go to the hole?

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
When can we expect to see him on the court?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/dakota/ahearn_081116.html

Ahearn is expected to join fellow NBA D-League alumni Ime Udoka and Ian Mahinmi and the Spurs tonight in Sacramento when the team takes on the Kings. He will wear jersey number 18.

With Ian, Parker and Manu hurt he's likely to be active for tonight's game, right?

SenorSpur
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Wonder if he'll see any court time.

For those in the know, what does this kid have that Farmer did not?

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
As with Tolliver, it could have been something Pop saw in practice rather than anything in games, as he didn't do anything exactly wrong other than not hit enough shots.

Although it's starting to look to me like Pop's plan all along was to give Hairston lots of minutes in Austin before possibly calling him up later, and Farmer was just a "give it a shot" kind of experiment since they had the free roster spot. With TP going out and Vaughn being as awful as he's been, they knew they needed to start looking for a point guard.

himat
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I remember the Pistons facing him and the Heat last year. He hustled a lot and Chauncey told him to keep working hard after the game. You guys will probably like him.

tomtom
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Hopefully his time dips into vaughns not g hills

completely deck
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Hopefully his time dips into vaughns not g hills

Yeah, without a doubt. Let's hope the coaches see it the way we do.

Spurtacus
11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Hopefully Farmer will get another shot elsewhere.

We need scorers at every position. I think Vaughn can be a great mentoring for guys like Hill and Ahearn.

thOOdee
11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
YAY! another mediocre Player!.....10 bucks this guy becomes an all-star. Spurs are really pissing me off!

phxspurfan
11-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Ahearn:Steve Nash is the model. He relies a lot on skill. Passing, dribbling, shooting.
Ahearn: I look around the league, and shooters are so rare nowadays.

This is what I find disturbing about the NBA. Okay, freakishly athletic plays and big dunks sell tickets. Upside is definitely worth gambling on to see if you find the next MJ at some point; someone who has potential upside AND the drive to develop the skills like jump shooting and passing/making others better on the court.

But what happened to the basketball skill? It's sad that GMs/coaches have to search this long and hard to find somebody who can shoot the ball. After all, the sport they are playing is basketball; the objective is to put the ball in the basket. :depressed

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
YAY! another mediocre Player!.....10 bucks this guy becomes an all-star. Spurs are really pissing me off!

I guess Chris Paul wasn't available. :rolleyes

ducks
11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
they signed him and hill confidence went to the tubes

spurs_2108
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I watched the last 6 minutes of the game and I noticed some one on the bench who I never seen. I thought he was like a water boy just trying to be apart of the team and sit on the bench and get all close in the huddle. Knew It was something else...

SenorSpur
11-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Farmer is not an NBA player, he can shoot a bit, but is awful at everything else! I dont understand why we didnt bring back Watkins.

I think they're trying to get some more scoring punch. However, they're getting by with the players they have. I'd also like to see what Watkins coud bring to the team, in terms of rebounding, shotblocking and interior defense. They could give him a look until they're ready to bring Hairston back up.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Watkins is in China.

Jahivah
11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Well Farmar had his chance and did not make much of it. Not his fault . He just doen not seem to be an NBA calibre talent.

T Park
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM
All the newer posters coming from the "other" site need to go back..

SenorSpur
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Watkins is in China.

So much for that suggestion.

T Park
11-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Watkins had the offensive game of a D Leaguer.

Thats why hes in China.....

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Watkins had the offensive game of a D Leaguer.

Yeah, fuck getting a couple of blocks, intimidating the paint and grabbing rebounds. It's like they say, jump shooters win championships. :lol

mattyc
11-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Shame for Farmer, but will be good to see if Ahearn can translate his form to the NBA.

The Truth #6
11-17-2008, 09:30 AM
3rd string point guards make Pop sleep at night.

Farmer probably ordered "fucking Merlot" once at dinner and that was the end of him.

Ice009
11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, fuck getting a couple of blocks, intimidating the paint and grabbing rebounds. It's like they say, jump shooters win championships. :lol

:lol Well I still want Watkins. Forget about T Park ;).

Watkins would probably be my second choice after Farmer. Hairston my third choice. A defensive big man always trumps a defensive SF in my book.

tomtom
11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
what are we gonna do with 4 points though? unless pop plans to maybe play hill at sg

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
what are we gonna do with 4 points though? unless pop plans to maybe play hill at sg

Ahearn's not going to stick. Farmer appeared to be a placeholder for Ahearn and Ahearn's going to be a placeholder for someone else when Parker comes back unless he plays really well and the Spurs figure out a way to get rid of JV.

timvp
11-17-2008, 07:59 PM

I see it as a good way to get a look at Ahearn. He's one of the more interesting cases in the D-League, since he basically came out of nowhere to post very good stats.

If the Spurs like what they see, they can either elevate him over Vaughn or send him to the Toros. If they don't like what they see, they can waive him in a few weeks. In the meantime, it gives the team insurance in case Hill further hurts his thumb or Vaughn comes up lame.

I don't see how it will impact Hill at all.

ElNono
11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
This guy is a turnover machine. He's just not NBA ready. The guy also can't play a lick of defense and to top it all off, is undersized. Why does the FO even bothers with these guys?