PDA

View Full Version : Our old backup C

Bob Lanier
11-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Had 12 points tonight. He also had twelve rebounds with two fouls. No...not Cherokee Parks. No...not Malik Rose. Yes Rasho Nesterovic. Everyone's favorite here had a career night.

ploto
11-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Rasho is really playing well and is an important part of the Pacers team. I have been especially proud this week as he has played 3 games in 4 nights coming off his injury. His passing has been so beautiful to see!

He was +19 last night when they lost by 2 to the 76ers and tonight he was the only guy positive with a +2 when they lost by 13.

You can go see him tomorrow-- At the Verizon store on Town Center. :lol

timvp
11-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Considering the Spurs will likely only sign players to one-year contracts this offseason, I wouldn't mind something like a 1-year, $3-4M contract to bring back Rasho . . .

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Rasho's a solid player..he was always consistent with every team he's been so far in his career..

angelbelow
11-15-2008, 11:33 PM
rasho was great was for us, he just wasnt worth the contract he had.

sendman
11-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Had 12 points tonight. He also had twelve rebounds with two fouls. No...not Cherokee Parks. No...not Malik Rose. Yes Rasho Nesterovic. Everyone's favorite here had a career night.

Fixed!

mrspurs
11-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I think Rasho playing for the Raptors changed his game. He plays loose now. After being yelled at by KG. To being yelled at by Pop. The Raptors let him play. And its showing for the Pacers. Its to bad he was getting paid to much when we brought him in. He would be the perfect fit right now. I was one who was happy when Rasho left. Because I trusted the FO in bringing in someone better then him. They still havnt found his replacement imo. And if they have hes playing for the Toros now.

MaNu4Tres
11-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Everyone overlooks the fact that his contract would have came off the books this year. Basically Pop and RC chose to pay Bonner/Elson/Butler instead of Rasho or you can say Bonner/Oberto. When in reality I would rather have Rasho than all three. People seem to forget the year Rasho played 24 plus minutes for us in 04' we allowed 84 Points per game with him and Duncan in the frontcourt. I really wish we would have just kept him.

Slomo
11-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I think Rasho playing for the Raptors changed his game. He plays loose now. After being yelled at by KG. To being yelled at by Pop. The Raptors let him play. And its showing for the Pacers. Its to bad he was getting paid to much when we brought him in. He would be the perfect fit right now. I was one who was happy when Rasho left. Because I trusted the FO in bringing in someone better then him. They still havnt found his replacement imo. And if they have hes playing for the Toros now.

I think it has more to do with his assignment. Rasho's main job in SA was defense and I always thought he did a very good job of it. His main job on O was setting screens (ask Tony what he thought about those) and getting out of Tim's way. When he was playing without Tim he showed a lot of what he is showing in Indiana this year - unfortunately or better yet fortunately he was able to do that only when Tim was not playing.

I don't have a problem with that, I just hate it when people rip him apart for not doing stuff he was not supposed to do anyway.

T Park
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
if he had done a better job at rebounding I wouldn't have wanted him traded....

Indazone
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Rasho just needed time to find his inner baller. He's good now. Flourishing with the Pacers much like Beno is with the Kings.

angel_luv
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't get to watch many of Sho's games ( unfortunately) but I do my best to follow his stats and team's win/loss record.

I did get to see some of Sho's game the other night. They had NBA t.v. on at the arena and I was in the right place at the right time. :elephant :elephant

Sho is doing great in Indiana. I am so pleased for him. :)

angel_luv
11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Considering the Spurs will likely only sign players to one-year contracts this offseason, I wouldn't mind something like a 1-year, $3-4M contract to bring back Rasho . . .

That would be beyond awesome! I would be so happy if Coach Pop made that happen. :)

galvatron3000
11-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Let's not go backwards, I hear what you're saying but the Spurs have to position themselves to life without Tim at the same time use the window they have with Tim to try to climb that mountain again. Tim is getting older and he needs help on the glass, he needs help in the paint to take some of the burden off of him as he's getting older and not nearly as athletic.

He needs some mobile fresh, young legs. Kurt when healthy should be more effective than Rasho, even though Rasho was good at getting to the right place within the Spurs system on defense. Getting young up front is a priority. Ian is there, Oberto and Thomas so Rasho won't be a need and hopefully not an option. Let's look for Rasheed to get free and see how much he will accept and whether it's coming from a contending team.

What do you think Timvp?

ploto
11-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I think it has more to do with his assignment. Rasho's main job in SA was defense and I always thought he did a very good job of it. His main job on O was setting screens (ask Tony what he thought about those) and getting out of Tim's way. When he was playing without Tim he showed a lot of what he is showing in Indiana this year - unfortunately or better yet fortunately he was able to do that only when Tim was not playing.

Very true. For the Pacers, Rasho is the stable vet- along with Jeff- for a lot of young guys. Jim O'Brien just loves him and likes to run offense through him, hence my enjoyment seeing him pass so well and set up other guys for baskets. This year, I get to see more of the Rasho who plays for Slovenia because the Pacers simply need more from him and give him a bigger role. He came to SA and took less money, knowing full well he would never live up to people wanting him to be DRob. He accepted his role and tried as hard as he could to do what was being asked of him.

I never understood why people hated him so much so quickly, especially when he played very well his first year on the team. I guess they saw his potential and thought he could be more, but he was trying to fill a specific role on the team. He also simply is not quick or explosive or athletic- no matter how hard he tries. Last night was hilarious-- Rasho faked and then made this up and under move for an easy basket. The Indiana commentator said, "He might only be moving 35 MPH on the highway, but he gets it done." Sometimes it might have been better for Rasho in SA, and possibly even the Spurs, if he had been a little more selfish, but he was not raised that way. I still wish it all could have worked out differently.

I miss watching him play in person all the time. A week and a half until he plays in Houston! :)

ploto
11-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Tonight against the Hawks:

21 points; 7 rebounds; 5 assists; 3 blocks; 2 steals :elephant :elephant

coachmac87
11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Yalll really need to get the hell outta here...Rasho is a pussy...could not make freethrows to save his life...and couldnt hit his "shot" on a consistent basis...He is doing well in INdy and TOr cause doesnt have a coach getting on his ass...Rasho was NOT a good fit for us. I'd take Elson back before that pussy

T Park
11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
que up

"Contract year"

coachmac87
11-18-2008, 09:37 PM

No disrespect...Pacers aren't shiiiiiiiit:lmao...and everybody has a career night once in awhile

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM

Go, Rasho!!!

I'm one Spurs fan who thought it was stupid to let him go. Not that he's great, but he is very tall and he has some skills. And I don't think any of his replacements (Nazr, Oberto, Elson, Thomas, etc) have been an improvement.

The Truth #6
11-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I could see how it would be very practical for him go come back here. His money would go a lot further. With the med center here he would be close to several excellent gynecologists.

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
No disrespect...Pacers aren't shiiiiiiiit:lmao...and everybody has a career night once in awhile

No disrespect, but when was the last time Oberto had one of these career nights?

And I'm not disrespecting Oberto, cause I think he plays as hard and as well as he can, but the Rasho and Beno hate here at Spurstalk has always mystified me.

galvatron3000
11-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I gave up on Rasho in the playoffs of 2005 when Ray Allen dunked on him. he allowed this guy to basically climb up him for the dunk, i just thought that play made me lose confidence in the middle due to lack of toughness. i liked him but we needed a tougher presence.

ploto
11-18-2008, 09:48 PM
...everybody has a career night once in awhile

But see- it is not one night.

Cry Havoc
11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Rasho departed because he could not rotate fast enough to make our defense better. He couldn't rebound, we were 4 on 5 while on offense, and he was a poor free throw shooter.

I like Rasho, but I'm not sure he fits in our system. He'd be worth a shot if we could sign him, but I wonder if his production would falter against the teams we play. He could probably shut Bynum down, though.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Rasho departed because he could not rotate fast enough to make our defense better. He couldn't rebound, we were 4 on 5 while on offense, and he was a poor free throw shooter.

Idiocy. Rasho's not here because he made too much money for a guy that couldn't keep a starting job. Rasho's good games came when Duncan was out, which is another problem when you are supposed to start. He also couldn't dunk in a game despite the team drilling with him for hours upon hours about it. His team defense was excellent and his free-throw shooting was a complete non-factor because he didn't bother to draw fouls. He was a soft rebounder, but he'd have been a great backup center for years.

Again, for all his faults he'd have never left if not for his contract. Period.

tp2021
11-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I really liked Rasho.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
So did I. Didn't like his contract, though.

Texas_Ranger
11-19-2008, 01:07 AM
look at his stats in tonights game: 21 pts, 7 reb, 5 ast, 3 blk, 2 stl in 36 min. That's pretty good!!

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Number of times Rasho went over 20 points as a Spur: 4

Number of times Roger Mason has gone over 20 points as a Spur: 2

z0sa
11-19-2008, 02:56 AM
If Rasho had not been traded, we'd have never gotten Matt Bonner.

Case closed :smokin

Cry Havoc
11-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Idiocy. Rasho's not here because he made too much money for a guy that couldn't keep a starting job. Rasho's good games came when Duncan was out, which is another problem when you are supposed to start. He also couldn't dunk in a game despite the team drilling with him for hours upon hours about it. His team defense was excellent and his free-throw shooting was a complete non-factor because he didn't bother to draw fouls. He was a soft rebounder, but he'd have been a great backup center for years.

Again, for all his faults he'd have never left if not for his contract. Period.

You don't recall ALL those conversations about how Rasho would never be off the bench or even on the team if it weren't simply to put a body on Shaq? So you're saying he played great defense, but he sat all that time just to rest up, or what?

Furthermore, I said I would LIKE to have Rasho back on this team. He'd be an obvious improvement over Thomas. But since he's out of our price range, hey, why not just go for Chris Bosh? I mean, since we're dreaming and all. The fact is that he's a non-threat offensively, and in the loaded West, teams are going to play off him all day. He's either going to clog the lane and limit Duncan's space, or he's going to move away from the hoop into no-man's land for a center like himself and become one less guy for the other team to guard.

Pero
11-19-2008, 07:08 AM
The fact is that he's a non-threat offensively, and in the loaded West, teams are going to play off him all day. He's either going to clog the lane and limit Duncan's space, or he's going to move away from the hoop into no-man's land for a center like himself and become one less guy for the other team to guard.

LOL really? If Rasho is a non-threat offensively, what does that make the other Spurs bigs? The opposing teams 6th players? :lol

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 07:17 AM
I gave up on Rasho in the playoffs of 2005 when Ray Allen dunked on him. he allowed this guy to basically climb up him for the dunk, i just thought that play made me lose confidence in the middle due to lack of toughness. i liked him but we needed a tougher presence.

And Fab is that guy? lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Fab has much better BB IQ and that shows on offense where he connects great with Timmy. Rasho wasn't doing much more than setting picks on offense which was what was asked from him, but he's by no means better than Fab in our system.

And his height advantage on Fab hasn't really showed in the rebounding department while he was with the Spurs.

Thus I'd take Oberto at 3M/year over Rasho's 8/9.

Sissiborgo
11-19-2008, 08:38 AM
woho rasho!!!

ambchang
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
For all those who said he played well in Toronto - he didn't.

The Raptors were trying to play up tempo, and Rasho was too slow to jog up and down the court. The Raptors didn't play any defense either, and this takes away Rasho's main strength.

Rasho was great for the Spurs, he played nice position defense. If his contract was around $5M / year, he'd still be around.

diego
11-19-2008, 10:06 AM
for the same money as KT or oberto, i'd take rasho gladly. The problem was when he was making over twice as much.

and while rasho does do several things well, he would still be a lot better if he were more aggressive and more physical. i don't think fans were out of place to demand that from a starter and also one of the highest paid players on the team at the time.

its not so much a matter of being unselfish, as it was a matter of being too nice. I'm sure Rasho is a great person, but on the court you need some fire.

galvatron3000
11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
And Fab is that guy? lol

that wasn't a comparison statement, I was only talking about my feelings towards Rasho during that series.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
that wasn't a comparison statement, I was only talking about my feelings towards Rasho during that series. As for whether or not we have a tougher presence, I'd say Thomas is much tougher albeit injured, he's definatelt tougher than Rasho. Oberto is probably Rasho 2.0 buy perhaps a more Mentally tougher player than physical.

And I wasnt making a statement based on your statement. I was just saying how I personally felt about our bigs and toughness. And of course the lack of when it comes to Fab. None of my buddies (all 35 and up) can stand Fab. We cannot wait for him to find another team to play on. And we all watch him play every game. Regardless of how sick he makes us. Like everything you have to take the good with the bad.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
And I wasnt making a statement based on your statement. I was just saying how I personally felt about our bigs and toughness. And of course the lack of when it comes to Fab. None of my buddies (all 35 and up) can stand Fab. We cannot wait for him to find another team to play on. And we all watch him play every game. Regardless of how sick he makes us. Like everything you have to take the good with the bad.

I would be very interested to know which other bigs who get 3M/year would you prefer to Oberto, excluding rookie contracts, which we obviously can't have.

galvatron3000
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM

got'cha, I'm 33. I fail to understand the logic of Fab fitting in better with the Spurs than Scola, if we couldn't use Scola now then I don't know when would be a good time. I honestly believe Scola would fit in much better and definately provide more than Fab. I think Fab is a solid limited minutes guy who's smart but not what the Spurs need. He does what he does but honestly they can do better than Fab.

angel_luv
11-19-2008, 12:42 PM
look at his stats in tonights game: 21 pts, 7 reb, 5 ast, 3 blk, 2 stl in 36 min. That's pretty good!!

:clap Fear the Sho! :)

ploto
11-19-2008, 01:08 PM
For the same money as KT or oberto, i'd take rasho gladly. The problem was when he was making over twice as much.
Kurt Thomas made more money than Rasho last year.

ploto
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Larry Bird, "You know, how smart is Rasho!?"

http://www.nba.com/video/teams/pacers/2008/11/18/081118_atlanta.pacers/index.html

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Kurt Thomas made more money than Rasho last year.

The Spurs didn't start paying him until this year, right?