PDA

View Full Version : family tree

spursfan09
11-16-2008, 01:50 AM
So my aunt was doing some research concerning our ancestors. She found out that one of our relatives actually married Pocahontas. His name was John Rolfe.

Has anybody ever tried finding ancestors who were alive hundreds of years ago? And if so have you been surprised to who you are related to? I would like to try to find out more, but all these sites cost money that I don't have.

dirk4mvp
11-16-2008, 02:51 AM
I did it about a year ago. Found out I'm related to Robert E. Lee.

nsrammstein
11-16-2008, 03:35 AM
heh

Jekka
11-16-2008, 03:49 AM
If you live in SA, you can access ancestry.com for free from the public library computers.

marini martini
11-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Heh heh! My relatives owned Coney Island, until some shyster lawyer, had them sign it over!:madrun:

baseline bum
11-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I did it about a year ago. Found out I'm related to Robert E. Lee.

LOL... me too.

T Park
11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Robert e lee got around apparently..

ShoogarBear
11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
So my aunt was doing some research concerning our ancestors. She found out that one of our relatives actually married Pocahontas. His name was John Rolfe.

One of my ancestors died from laughing. His name was John Rofl.

tlongII
11-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I found out one of my relatives was a single-celled organism.

ShoogarBear
11-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I found out one of my relatives was a single-celled organism.

Too bad it wasn't a brain cell.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
If you live in SA, you can access ancestry.com for free from the public library computers.

:wow I didn't know that! I have a family member that put together some of our ginourmous family tree and has graciously shared his ancestry.com account with everyone so that's not a problem for me. But that's bad ass, nonetheless.

I am distantly related to a number of people; John Adams, Princess Diana, people involved in the Salem Witch Trials, some pirates from the Revolutionary war, all related to the Massachusetts area.

http://www.gencircles.com/users/leighness/7

is the link to one of my older family trees. It has like 3000 people in it, lots of dead famous white guys.

dirk4mvp
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
LOL... me too.

:lol hi cousin

Robert e lee got around apparently..

By looking at him, you could tell he put more hoes on their back than Wilt Chamberlain

http://www.usa-civil-war.com/Lee/lee_1863.jpg

jman3000
11-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure some of my ancestors were Mexicans... who lived in Mexico.

Jekka
11-16-2008, 01:37 PM
:wow I didn't know that! I have a family member that put together some of our ginourmous family tree and has graciously shared his ancestry.com account with everyone so that's not a problem for me. But that's bad ass, nonetheless.

I am distantly related to a number of people; John Adams, Princess Diana, people involved in the Salem Witch Trials, some pirates from the Revolutionary war, all related to the Massachusetts area.

http://www.gencircles.com/users/leighness/7

is the link to one of my older family trees. It has like 3000 people in it, lots of dead famous white guys.
That's pretty cool - my grandmother has been into genealogy for a long time and shared our family tree with me a few years ago. Apparently I'm directly related to General John Blassingame from the Revolutionary War ... I had no idea who that was until she told me about him. That's about as illustrious as my tree gets.

The only thing that sucks about doing genealogy with ancestry.com is that you end up having to spell things almost exactly correctly in order to find stuff, and census takers before 1940 could NOT SPELL TO SAVE THEIR LIVES. At least not in Arkansas (though I'm sure people will say this whole point is redundant). It took forever to find my great-uncle Horace that they had spelled "Horus" and his brother Everett got spelled "Evert".

And do you have any idea how hard it is to find specific people with popular last names? Between the surnames Johnson and Jones in family, it is really hard to find anyone.

spursfan09
11-16-2008, 01:46 PM
One of my ancestors died from laughing. His name was John Rofl.

:lol

well maybe you should be careful when you laugh. It might be genetic.

spursfan09
11-16-2008, 01:47 PM

:tu

I do live in SA. I'll have to check that out.

spursfan09
11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure some of my ancestors were Mexicans... who lived in Mexico.

or they could of been the Arabs who came to Mexico....

ashbeeigh
11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
And do you have any idea how hard it is to find specific people with popular last names? Between the surnames Johnson and Jones in family, it is really hard to find anyone.

Soundex is your friend is that case. I learned that pretty early on. I've gotten lucky with common last names. We don't have very many very common last names in recent generations, and if we do they've already been uncovered by other people and we're just getting connected now. I just find it so amazing that everyone can some how be related to everyone else in some distance way.

I don't know if it's in that tree or not, but in the one I have right now I've got the family traced back to Catherine (or is it Catherine) of Aragon. I never thought I could get us to Spain. That was the icing on the cake because we're so deeply rooted in England. :elephant

PakiDan
11-16-2008, 03:09 PM
I was related to Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan. He joined a band of Norse Warriors (12 to be exact) who traveled to a Northern Nordic Kingdom to help the local King battle the Wendol or Eaters of the Dead. The Wendol lived in caves and wore costumes fashioned from dead bears.

Biernutz
11-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I was related to Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan. He joined a band of Norse Warriors (12 to be exact) who traveled to a Northern Nordic Kingdom to help the local King battle the Wendol or Eaters of the Dead. The Wendol lived in caves and wore costumes fashioned from dead bears.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/Gifffs1234/worflaugh.gif

mookie2001
11-16-2008, 05:33 PM
im related to martin de leon