PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Our beloved Mavs finally had a solid 4th quarter, coming back from 7 down to defeat the improving but bad Knicks 124-114. Dirk 39/15, JHO 31/14. Law of averages caught up w/ Knicks after a hot fluky start and they missed their final 15 shots finishing at 43%

I liked what I saw out of Howard. Wasn't a shadow in 4th attacked basket.

Bass is a bum, missed 2 dunks. But 12/7 was solid from him. still think we hsould trade him if anything comes along.

green started but hardly played, I wonder why?

Did we turn a corner with regard to late game execution?

Probably not, I'm sure ya'll remember when we beat the Suns/Jazz in close games last year, including a 13 pt 4th Q comeback against the Suns. We proceeded to get beaten down like a ragdoll against the Hornets

Is this a good win?

Not really. Sure the Knicks were 6-3, but they were the worst defensive team in teh league and 20th in Hollinger's statistical Power rankings. I know there's flaws in his formula, but it did have the Lakers/Celtics near the top, so it goes to show if you're playing quality basketball, Hollinger will reward you.

I'm just hoping for a split against Charlotte and Houston on the road. I know we're still 3-7, but I just know we can be better than this atleast.

sribb43
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Singleton stepped in and play well... he took over Diop's minutes and produced 10 and 10. When Dirk, J-ho and JET are scoring efficiently the mavs are very dangerous. The only problem is with there defense. You need the D when your jumps shots arent falling thats what the 06 and 07 team were able to do. They also got key stops down the stretch and were one of hte top rebounding teams in the league. This team is none of that

sribb43
11-16-2008, 09:00 PM
A win is a win in this league...you just hope these guys can string a few wins together and get their confidence and swagger back

Ghazi
11-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Agreed. sibb.

The MAIN flaw I see with this team is defense, really, as much as we can complain about Kidd's offense, JHo's disappearing act in the 4th, inconsistent shooting from Bass/Stack. we haven't even played average defense so far. And the problem si, you can't be average or even good at defense, you have to be GREAT at defense. the Bulls dynasty shows this, the Pistons/Celtics show this, the Spurs dynasty shows this. Not only were they good at defense, they were in the T1-3 of defensive efficiency.

I just don't think we have the defensive personell to become better defensively than teams like the Celtics, Pistons, Lakers, and Rockets.

We'll see what happens though.

monosylab1k
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
39 from Dirk and 31 from Howard, and it still takes a furious scramble at the end of the fourth, along with some of the worst coaching I've ever seen out of Mike D'Antoni, for the Mavs to win in OT.

Whoooopeeeeee!

monosylab1k
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Beat the Bobcats and the Rockets and maybe i'll start considering believing again.

sribb43
11-16-2008, 09:21 PM
39 from Dirk and 31 from Howard, and it still takes a furious scramble at the end of the fourth, along with some of the worst coaching I've ever seen out of Mike D'Antoni, for the Mavs to win in OT.

Whoooopeeeeee!

+1

sribb43
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
No Stack and Diop = W....it isnt ironic that 2 of teh guys with the worst +/- on the Mavs didnt play and the mavs win. Seriously though, when those 2 guys are on the floor its seems that the Mavs offense goes south ad teams make their runs. However the mavs offense was clicking most of the night. Problem is they played a team that has even worse D than them, so if the D doesnt pick up the L's will continue to mount

Ghazi
11-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Whoooopeeeeee!

Mono that's just natural basketball variance. A Laker fan could say Dirk played like ass, Howard was out, and we barely beat a slumping Mavs team in the final minute.

This wasn't a big win, but it was a nice win, surely you agree.

Winning against Charlotte and Houston would be huge, but I just don't see it. I'll be content with a split though. 0-2 would be horrible.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 10:17 PM
You can always count on Mike D'Antoni's defense to give your offense a false sense of security.

jack sommerset
11-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Mavs 3-6

dirk4mvp
11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Mavs 3-6

Hey thanks for telling me. Otherwise I don't think anybody else had a way of finding this out :tu

Shank
11-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Mavs 3-6

You sure about that?

Findog
11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Everything's fine now, guys, we're ready to take on Boston, LA or Cleveland. Let's mix it up motherfuckers, because the Mavericks are back!!!!!

Ghazi
11-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Mavs are like a female that cock teases... no joke. She does just enough to keep you spending your money, but never puts out when it counts. Eventually, you start to wonder how stupid you are for fucking with her.:toast

So true.

At no point last year (perhaps I'm a delusional homer) did I think the Mavs weren't a contender, up until the 2nd half of the 1st game of the playoffs really. They did have 31 losses, but a lot of them were close ones to elite teams, which made me think we were right there. but alas.

This year though, the team doesn't look like a contender at all. However, I can be swayed into thinking they are with a solid stretch of games... but I haven't been impressed by ANY Mavs games this year, wins or losses... hell the Lakers game was the most impressive Mavs game, and even in that we had our typical 4th quarter meltdown/poor shooting.

stretch
11-17-2008, 09:24 AM
why did Green and Damp only play like 6 minutes?

sribb43
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Damp was getting torched the first 5 minutes by Randolph bc he was taking him on the perimeter. Damp doesnt match up well at all with the centers that D'Antoni runs out there in Lee and Z-Bo. Much is the same reason why Diop didnt see the floor at all

monosylab1k
11-17-2008, 09:49 AM

Green's been playing like ass since the 2nd half of the Lakers game, and I guess Damp wasn't used cuz of D'Antoni's smallball.

DaDakota
11-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Why is GG not playing more?

The guy has major skills and needs to be involved....he is great if he is engaged, Jason Kidd should get him an early look and see how his energy goes up because of it.

DD

monosylab1k
11-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Why is GG not playing more?

The guy has major skills and needs to be involved....he is great if he is engaged, Jason Kidd should get him an early look and see how his energy goes up because of it.

DD

I agree, but he's gotta figure out the basics on defense before he becomes a regular in the rotation. His defense is absolutely atrocious.

sribb43
11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
GG has no idea what to do in pick n roll situations

mavs>spurs2
11-17-2008, 11:22 AM
How do u get that far in your career going through high school college and several years of the pro's without learning some form of anything at least resembling defense?

Findog
11-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Ruh-roh!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Mavericks-owner-Mark-Cuban-charged/story.aspx?guid={4AB4CF40-63FD-4CA2-809F-C780A77D7D64}

DaDakota
11-17-2008, 12:11 PM
GG has no idea what to do in pick n roll situations

neither does have the league.

DD

sribb43
11-17-2008, 12:14 PM
neither does have the league.

DD

true but the way he plays it is awful...its like he isnt even trying