PDA

View Full Version : Thomas and Udoka not playing, Any trade coming up?

jbspurs
11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Thomas and Udoka not playing upto now, Do you think a trade is coming up?

Spurtacus
11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
No.

DMX7
11-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Possibly... They can't be happy with Thomas' performance. He looks like trash and poorly conditioned, especially for $4 million bucks.

jbspurs
11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Possibly... They can't be happy with Thomas' performance. He looks like trash and poorly conditioned, especially for $4 million bucks.

I hope they include Bonner, I don't care how good he's playing today.

timvp
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
No, both have just been sucking.

Steve-O-Matic
11-16-2008, 11:31 PM
As if anybody would want to trade for these people.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Udoka's gone back to his pre-season form where he's the worst player on the floor. I don't really see how anyone would want him.

barbacoataco
11-16-2008, 11:34 PM
I was surprised that Udoka didn't play tonight. Thomas I understand because he is still hurt. But Udoka not playing leaves them with only one real SF. And with Pop playing such a small lineup, they just are small. But good win anyway.

timvp
11-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Udoka's gone back to his pre-season form where he's the worst player on the floor. I don't really see how anyone would want him.
Yeah Udoka the last three games has been worse than Bonner, Vaughn, Beno, Rasho of Finley have ever played in a three game stretch.

Well deserved benching.

NewJerSpur
11-16-2008, 11:46 PM
The shortened bench tonight (given the team's already shorthanded state) makes this win that much more impressive on the road. Especially to come back from a double digit deficit with Duncan on the bench. Kudos. Finley's production has been very surprising as well....he actually DUNKED on a hand-off tonight, LOL. Nice.

:toast

tav1
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
No, both have just been sucking.

I agree with this statement, and can't offer much more than an amen, but...

Thomas and Udoka could strike some teams as rotation caliber vets with friendly contracts. 5.2 million, I think. I could see Pop pulling the trigger and dealing both of them during a time like this...but I seriously doubt it's anything more than bench for suckage.

Thomas can't be traded yet, either, I think. I'd have to check.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I agree with this statement, and can't offer much more than an amen, but...

Thomas and Udoka could strike some teams as rotation caliber vets with friendly contracts. 5.2 million, I think. I could see Pop pulling the trigger and dealing both of them during a time like this...but I seriously doubt it's anything more than bench for suckage.

Thomas can't be traded yet, either, I think. I'd have to check.

If the Spurs give up a first round pick for Thomas and then trade him this quickly...

MrChug
11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
If Finley is outplaying you...yah, you'd better call a real estate agent.

tav1
11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
If the Spurs give up a first round pick for Thomas and then trade him this quickly...

desperate times...and he's not in shape and playing poorly

but yeah, it would suck

T Park
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
If Finley is outplaying you...yah, you'd better call a real estate agent.

Finley outplayed alot of people tonight with his 21, so rethink that statement.

tav1

although any impact player would greatly placate the loss of the pick

okay, i'm done for this pipe dream...

Texas_Ranger
Thomas can't be traded for 3 months or until December 15.

tav1
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM

yes, I know.

3 months from when? exact date is what I need to look up.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM

Good. He'll be healthy by then, plus he'll have some chances to play good post guys and earn everyone's confidence back. There was nobody for him to match up against tonight. Expect to see him against Kaman, though.

Russ
11-17-2008, 12:00 AM

By then he'll probably be on fire and it'll be someone else we want outta town.:lol

loveforthegame
11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
It's nothing. We play the Clippers tomorrow night and Pop was resting a couple of the guys.

Jahivah
11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
It seems like Kurt Thomas is living off that postseason he had "supposedly" playing great deffense against Timmy. Everyone started praising how good a deffensive player he is when in all actuality he's on the wrong side of 30. Never was much of a shot blocker and now seems to have lost his patent jump shot. Money flushed down the toilet.Hindsight is 20/20.

YODA
11-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Something has to be up TIMVP...
From taking Bowens starting position to benching total game?? Come on now. And all of a sudden bonner coming in first ahead of tolliver who btw only had 6 min tonight???
Thomas might be hurt, but why not list it?

my2sons
11-17-2008, 12:12 AM
You know this place is amazing. Continually looking for the dark clouds instead of the rainbow or silver lining. you would of thought that the team lost the last two games. Instead the three players who are continually requested to have their heads on a platter have played some of the best ball, rookies are developing, team is treading water waiting for the return of our two key players and you go after two players that didn't get floor time. When this team is at full strength, I believe that is the time to call out trash, but this team is playing with alot of heart, they beat houston, who if you didn't notice pretty much man handled the so called best team in the division. Timmy is playing great, but lets beat on udoka, a player everyone thought was key and needed more minutes last year. Ok, i am off my rant. I like this team, the players know their roles and yes there may be a trade down the road, but I feel quite a few teams would want a tough and rugged post player and a powerfully built sf that plays tough d and is basically searching for his shot. It's like the 3 players yall like to beat on are playing too well to beat on so lets pick a a dnp coaches decision.

Texas_Ranger
11-17-2008, 12:12 AM
yes, I know.

3 months from when? exact date is what I need to look up.

I don't know that...I gues from the day that he signed the new contract.:hat

Blackjack
11-17-2008, 12:26 AM
It's nothing. We play the Clippers tomorrow night and Pop was resting a couple of the guys.

:tu

It's the first night of a back-to-back, with better matchups for Udoka and Thomas against the Clippers.

Yeah, they both have been subpar to say the least, (whether not being over injury or anything else) but I wouldn't get my hopes up about an imminent trade.

On the subject of trades though...

Mason has been impressive and a good fit, but if Portland is looking for a solid vet in order to give up Outlaw or Batum?

You've got to give up value to get value, but is that something the Spurs should consider if Portland is interested?:stirpot:

T Park
11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Thomas will play alot vs Kaman. Good matchup for him.

Udoka will get more burn and Finley's minutes will be checked a tad.

Very very long season, gotta keep that in mind.

jbspurs
11-17-2008, 12:51 AM

It's the first night of a back-to-back, with better matchups for Udoka and Thomas against the Clippers.

Yeah, they both have been subpar to say the least, (whether not being over injury or anything else) but I wouldn't get my hopes up about an imminent trade.

Mason has been impressive and a good fit, but if Portland is looking for a solid vet in order to give up Outlaw or Batum?

You've got to give up value to get value, but is that something the Spurs should consider if Portland is interested?:stirpot:

I think Mason is currently better than those two guys. Mason is a smart player, can knockdown big shots and can play point at times. I wouldn't do it.

Whisky Dog
11-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Thomas didnt play because he wasnt a good match for the Kings and he's going to be needed tomorrow

Udoka didnt play because he's been a waste of a roster spot.

Blackjack
11-17-2008, 12:59 AM
I think Mason is currently better than those two guys. Mason is a smart player, can knockdown big shots and can play point at times. I wouldn't do it.

Mason definitely fits better for the time being, but you could argue that having a guy like Outlaw on the team with a healthy Manu and Tony would be a much bigger help for now and years to come.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 01:34 AM
It seems like Kurt Thomas is living off that postseason he had "supposedly" playing great deffense against Timmy. Everyone started praising how good a deffensive player he is when in all actuality he's on the wrong side of 30. Never was much of a shot blocker and now seems to have lost his patent jump shot. Money flushed down the toilet.Hindsight is 20/20.

I guess you weren't a Spurs fan back then because KT played GREAT defense against Timmy. Wait to see how he plays against Kaman, Nene and Boozer the next three games before applying your hindsight.

z0sa
11-17-2008, 02:18 AM
I guess you weren't a Spurs fan back then because KT played GREAT defense against Timmy. Wait to see how he plays against Kaman, Nene and Boozer the next three games before applying your hindsight.

I can't see this guy not being an active part of the rotation come March. We also just signed him to a three year contract and he's also here for insurance against the bigger players like Shaq.

Spur-Addict
11-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Finley outplayed alot of people tonight with his 21, so rethink that statement.

He is, if he keeps playing like this then it looks like someone with a wallet made the right choice.

phxspurfan
11-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Good. He'll be healthy by then, plus he'll have some chances to play good post guys and earn everyone's confidence back. There was nobody for him to match up against tonight. Expect to see him against Kaman, though.

This is like how the Suns played KT when he was in Phoenix. They basically saved him for the plodding big men and Tim Duncan. I'm not sure who else he can guard these days, anyway.

mountainballer
11-17-2008, 04:09 AM

you are right that Mason probably is our only trade asset of some value outside of the big three. his value might never be higher than when Manu and Tony will be back and this happens to be at the same time when it will eligible to trade him. (15th December)
all will hate to lose him, he's been a great fit, but to get a quality player back it would be a logical move. Portland is a good call, they would have more than Batum and Outlaw (who would be nice both). can't see them give up Batum, but Outlaw maybe yes. I would love to get Diogu in a package. he obviously doesn't fit in their plans, but I think he's a player with still nice upside, who would fit the Spurs system much better than Blazers. his value is very low right now, could be a low price high reward move one day.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 04:11 AM
This is like how the Suns played KT when he was in Phoenix. They basically saved him for the plodding big men and Tim Duncan. I'm not sure who else he can guard these days, anyway.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Mike D'Antoni is a fucking buffoon. KT played Duncan great and then he got benched for more offense and Duncan just ate them up. All the Spurs fans were watching it happen, wondering how D'Antoni didn't see it. When KT's game is on he can get rebounds, defend and shoot from the outside. He did come into the season with an injury, and might have taken a little longer to come back from it if the Spurs' frontcourt needs weren't so dire. Just like with Bowen, we just need some time to figure out if he'd old and used up or if he's just not rounded into shape yet. Since he can't go anywhere for a while we'll definitely find out.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 04:13 AM
And trading Mason would be stupid. Once he figures out where to use his midrange game he's going to be astonishingly valuable to the Spurs; you guys will be saying "Remember when the Spurs used to have offensive droughts?"

mrspurs
11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
They'll play tonight.

AFBlue
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Udoka didnt play because he's been a waste of a roster spot.

While it's been a disappointing last few starts for Udoka, I wouldn't say he's been a waste of a roster spot.

He came up big in the Hornets series last year and played decently all year long, he's got a year in the system already, and he's dirt cheap.

He's not a superstar and he's going to have ups and downs with his play...like any other player.

I don't know if he has a future with the team beyond this year, but I think Udoka was a low-risk player that has had some big moments with the Spurs.

SpurSupremacist
11-17-2008, 11:58 AM

That... was dead on.

SpurSupremacist
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM

ROFL If the defense was so great, how come Duncan destroyed him so easily? I watched every minute of that series. Steven Hunter plays better defense on him than Kurt Thomas, and that's saying something.

Spurs Brazil
11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
If Ime doesn't improve he'll see a lot of DNP-CDs this season.

When Manu comeback we may see Mason/Finley starting and Manu/Bowen off the bench

Mason is showing he can play D and that make Ime useless

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 04:36 PM
ROFL If the defense was so great, how come Duncan destroyed him so easily? I watched every minute of that series. Steven Hunter plays better defense on him than Kurt Thomas, and that's saying something.

Duncan didn't destroy him. D'Antoni pulled KT off the floor and then Duncan went to work. Go pull up the game log from that game and you'll hear us talking about it.

BTW, if the rest of your idiotic opinions weren't evidence enough, you told us all we need to know about your basketball knowledge by that Steven Hunter comment. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I think Mason has made Udoka somewhat expendable. If I was going to bet money on someone being traded this year it would be him.

#2!
11-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Not saying how he'll end up an All-star, but remember we've never had KT at the beginning of the season. We don't know if it usually takes him a while to get going during a season or not.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Not saying how he'll end up an All-star, but remember we've never had KT at the beginning of the season. We don't know if it usually takes him a while to get going during a season or not.

My money is still on KT to start to contribute at some point this year. We'll see I suppose.

Biernutz
11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
If you are not playing well and not diving for balls on the court Pop is going to sit you. Even if you are a starter. Ask Bruce!